Author Topic: What's the best "boring" mouse?  (Read 17799 times)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
What's the best "boring" mouse?
« on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:19:00 »
I'm not a gamer, and I don't want a mouse to look flashy (think Madcatz RAT, or anything covered in RGB) but I still want a fairly large mouse with a decent optical sensor and navigation buttons. The only mouse that comes to mind is the MS intellimouse explorer 3. I haven't been here in a long time - so I haven't really been keeping up with the latest in peripherals. Any recommendations?
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline subcat

Re: What's the best "boring" mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 08:20:11 »
look at zowie's stuff

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:39:09 »
look at zowie's stuff

I second this. I just made a couple of posts about the Zowie EC1-B. It's very plain looking with no LEDs. It's very comfortable, large, and has a really great sensor.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:41:12 »
I'm not a gamer, and I don't want a mouse to look flashy (think Madcatz RAT, or anything covered in RGB) but I still want a fairly large mouse with a decent optical sensor and navigation buttons. The only mouse that comes to mind is the MS intellimouse explorer 3. I haven't been here in a long time - so I haven't really been keeping up with the latest in peripherals. Any recommendations?

Zowie FK1 or EC2 (depending if you like ambidextrous grip or curved grip). I use both daily and love them.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 13:14:05 »
I've found Zowie's stuff to degrade faster than most though. The EC2 I had was a double-click machine in the worst of ways.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 13:48:20 »
Logitech G403, Ducky Secret, CM MasterMouse (not sure if they've sorted out the issues already though)…

I like the current Roccat Kone product line… with lights turned off, but buttons fully configured (EasyShift is amazing). Not sure if it's "boring", but it's great.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 January 2018, 23:37:28 »
If you're not going to game, then you should nab the Intellimouse Classic. It's basically the IE 3.0 but with a Blue Trac sensor. Great for non-gaming related stuff

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 00:41:27 »
not to sound like tp4 but... This is my favorite "boring" mouse:
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 January 2018, 14:13:45 »
Show Image

WMO or IMO is fine for gaming,  but for widescreen desktop use, the low dpi makes it -impractical-..

I think my Ergopwn 9000 is still the best desktop mouse available..

But if you had to go scrub-lvl-off the shell,  the new logitech wireless with the wireless pad is probably the go-to..

Although it's a bit xpensive.

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:18:07 »
Logitech G102/G203, with the LEDs turned off it looks like anything you could get at the cheap local computer store, but its built well, has great buttons and a really good sensor.
Keyboards: Leopold FC900R (Pinks), Logitech G613
Mice: Glorious Model O (Glossy), Logitech G305

Offline atarione

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 16:39:38 »
I have big hands.. 

I quite like the Steelseries Sensei ..the old version.. the sensor may be outdated (somewhat) for general usage this should pose no difficulties.

after more or less wearing out my MLG Sensei.. I bought a Zowie ZA11 .. it is pretty meh~ but the scroll wheel sucks a lot..

I'm in the market for a new mouse I guess.. I'm not super impressed with the Zowie in addition the abomination of a scroll wheel the left / right buttons on the mouse started to "shine" about the first time I used the mouse..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:44:51 »
Honestly, the best boring mouse is the Logitech G900/903.
Turn off the lighting and it's bland as can be, I even joked about it getting lost on the mousepad in my review and  here as well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 21:14:02 »
I really like the Ducky Secret M, it has this nice middle ground between style and minimalism.

Offline onlyabyte

• tekbyte
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 19:42:57 »
Zowie, Microsoft, Ducky or Steelseries (probably more but that's what I think are nice). I have a Steelseries Rival 100 and when you turn off the LEDs, its a nice office mouse. If you're interested in wireless, consider some of Logitech's peripherals too!
Akko 3087 SA Retro (45g Pink Linears) || Tecware Phantom Cherry BoW (45g Red Linears)

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 00:09:45 »
Mionix Castor

Offline vegs

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 05:54:12 »
Zowie.. I just ordered a second EC2-A in case my other breaks :))
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline mattbox

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 14:16:18 »
I'd go for something like the G603, if you aren't gaming go wireless man.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 14:18:34 »
OP probably has a mouse by now but I'll second a G602. It's what I currently use at work.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 18:00:20 »
OP probably has a mouse by now but I'll second a G602. It's what I currently use at work.

I'm not convinced the HERO sensor is as good as the pixart..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:48:59 »
Show Image

WMO or IMO is fine for gaming,  but for widescreen desktop use, the low dpi makes it -impractical-..

I think my Ergopwn 9000 is still the best desktop mouse available..

But if you had to go scrub-lvl-off the shell,  the new logitech wireless with the wireless pad is probably the go-to..

Although it's a bit xpensive.

I use it at work where i have 3 monitors linked... i just upped the speed a bit and it works great.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 22:12:44 »

I use it at work where i have 3 monitors linked... i just upped the speed a bit and it works great.

The WMO/IMO ?

You can't up the speed,  if you change microsoft mouse speed in the windows menu, it's no longer 1:1 pixel mapping.

The 400 dpi on that sensor is static.. 1 setting.

For example, sometimes in cad, you've got a 1 pixel width line you want to grab,  the WMO in this situation where the setting was changed will either over or undershoot..

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 10:05:59 »

I'm not convinced the HERO sensor is as good as the pixart..

Idk. I'm not one who cares much about sensors, as I am rarely ever doing any work which requires pixel manipulation. Maybe I'd go for the best of the best if I were.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline JP

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 14:47:31 »
Steel Series Sensei Raw
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 16:53:15 »
Minority report: I would recommend a trackball. Not at all flashy, and I haven't looked back since getting my Kensington Expert. And with both dongle and regular bluetooth you can switch machines with a literal switch on the underside.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 17:55:55 »

The WMO/IMO ?

You can't up the speed,  if you change microsoft mouse speed in the windows menu, it's no longer 1:1 pixel mapping.

For example, sometimes in cad, you've got a 1 pixel width line you want to grab,  the WMO in this situation where the setting was changed will either over or undershoot..

Yeah this is on the IMO. I dunno, it seems to work fine for me? it does 1pixel movement just fine on both my macbook air and my windows desktop at work (kvm between them)
my settings:

-Dana

Offline ScaredFolks

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 20:38:45 »

I use a Corsair M65 and turn the RGB lights off when I don't want to see them. It's big and has a decently flat form factor. Made out of nice aluminum and has different weight options. I hate mice made for claw hands I like my fingers to rest flat. It has great features and programming options. Even has on board memory. I love the Function Mode option which acts like a shift layer option as well as the Sniper DPI mode for when I am doing graphics work and need to slow the mouse down without lowering the DPI normally. It's also only 50 bucks and it looks very minimal if you get the black version. The white one is kind of flashy. It seems very gamer but it's also very good for general use and productivity without adding 15 buttons on the side.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:33:17 »

The WMO/IMO ?

Yeah this is on the IMO. I dunno, it seems to work fine for me? it does 1pixel movement just fine on both my macbook air and my windows desktop at work (kvm between them)
my settings:
Show Image

Show Image

OftheWild.

the mouse can MOVE 1 pixel, but the internal mapping is not 1 count 1 move if you change the slider, especially not so with "enhanced pointer precision" enabled, which is mouse acceleration.

It doesn't matter for desktop use,  but for CAD and g4m3r5,  the setting has to be on the middle tick, and with enhanced poitner disabled.

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:30:33 »
Found the ultimate boring mouse, Commatech Iomini 1.1 .
It looks like an old Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1, except smaller (about the size of a G203) and has a PWM3310 sensor (same as the ones from Zowie).

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:36:19 »
Found the ultimate boring mouse, Commatech Iomini 1.1 .
It looks like an old Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1, except smaller (about the size of a G203) and has a PWM3310 sensor (same as the ones from Zowie).

Looks like a Steelseries Sensei clone too.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:30:24 »
Isn't Sensei an IMO clone in the first place?

I remember there were a SteelSeries-branded Microsoft mice (both IMO and IME).

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:20:46 »
I suppose it could be, never really looked into it. The thing that instantly made me think of Steelseries though is the logo at the bottom.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:10:43 »
G100s is still the lightest boring mouse.

Or the Final-mouse ultralite, which is the same shape as the g100s but with 3360 sensor.

But I don't like the final mouse because it has too many holes,  what if you spill some water on it, or dust gets in there..

Theoretically You could cough/spit on it, and it might short out.

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 08:19:23 »

The SteelSeries branded ones are chinese clones, fake ones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 08:55:38 »

The SteelSeries branded ones are chinese clones, fake ones.

No they were not , they are official IMO//WMO mouses, but with a custom paintjob.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 14:26:32 »
I'm not a gamer really, but got the Logitech G305 because I was tired of using mediocre mice and saw some good reviews of this one. It also looks clean and not insane on my desk like a lot of gaming mice.

I just can't believe what a huge step up it is from literally every other mouse I've ever used. It's super light, super responsive, super smooth. I do use the DPI switch to quickly jump into slower, high detail tracking for detaily Illustrator or Photoshop stuff. Since there's no acceleration (which is essential for accuracy I gather) most of the time keep it set to a faster DPI mode to get around my big iMac 5K screen faster. Even at a fast tracking speed, there's so much precision that I have very little trouble putting the cursor exactly where I want it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 15:55:25 »
I'm not a gamer really, but got the Logitech G305 because I was tired of using mediocre mice and saw some good reviews of this one. It also looks clean and not insane on my desk like a lot of gaming mice.

I just can't believe what a huge step up it is from literally every other mouse I've ever used. It's super light, super responsive, super smooth. I do use the DPI switch to quickly jump into slower, high detail tracking for detaily Illustrator or Photoshop stuff. Since there's no acceleration (which is essential for accuracy I gather) most of the time keep it set to a faster DPI mode to get around my big iMac 5K screen faster. Even at a fast tracking speed, there's so much precision that I have very little trouble putting the cursor exactly where I want it.

G305 is light for a wireless mouse sure,  but you haven't felt LIGHT if you've never tried a G100s w/ the internal ballast removed.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81366.0

Offline 1Weeb

• ◕w◕
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 01:15:49 »
Not sure if this counts but I've used a Logitech M330 Silent Plus mouse for a while and it works great, it's different in that the clicks are nice and silent not completely silent but they are satisfyingly are, at least to me. But I've recently switched to a trackball so I'm back to the regular clicks :/ but if a trackball with a silent click ever exists like the M330 I'd definitely switch to it without hesitation.

Offline RobotRogue

• No.
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 10:42:30 »
Logitech MX Master. Very boring, but feels nice and works pretty well.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 22:36:38 »
loved the old intellimouse, both the recent remakes have reportedly been bad thought. i thought the steelseries rival looked similar but haven't tried it; currently using a zowie ec1-a which i am happy with.

Offline nxtruong

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 09:33:01 »
Original mouse that goes with Compaq I had about 20 year ago  :))