geekhack Community > Input Devices

Lefty Mouse?

<< < (2/4) > >>

DrivenKeys:
Thanks for the replies, y'all. That Deathadder has gone the same way as that old Logitech: collectible pricing on ebay. Thanks for the suggestions, but the symmetrical just sucks for me, and the vertical 'ergonomic' mice are cumbersome. I'm just looking for that same shape 80% of right-focused mice have, for that more natural hand position. That MX610 or Deathadder is fine. I'll likely crack open a symmetrical mouse and design 3D printed parts to tilt it, or build it 100% from scratch.

I never needed the lefty button layout, I actually like primary click with my middle finger. It's just the shape that drives me nuts, my wrist wants to twist a little.

Could anybody recommend a good donor mouse? I know some are easier to pull apart than others. I can solder, etc, so relocating switches isn't out of the picture. Ideally, just tilting the top and relocating the sensor would be great, but I gather they often integrate the sensor into the pcb. That EVGA Torq looks promising, as the adjustable height top buttons are already seperate from the main sensor. Any thoughts before I start opening random mice?

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: DrivenKeys on Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:32:00 ---Could anybody recommend a good donor mouse? I know some are easier to pull apart than others. I can solder, etc, so relocating switches isn't out of the picture. Ideally, just tilting the top and relocating the sensor would be great, but I gather they often integrate the sensor into the pcb. That EVGA Torq looks promising, as the adjustable height top buttons are already seperate from the main sensor. Any thoughts before I start opening random mice?

--- End quote ---

Sounds like the Torq is similar to the G900/903.
While not adjustable, they have has separate pcbs connected by wires for the switch buttons.

One mouse I would HIGHLY avoid is the G700, not that you would probably want to use it but it has two hard mounted doublestacked pcbs that the switches mount to. I couldn't get them separated without destroying it and you have to do that to reach the switches or you risk other damage. It was not designed to be easy to work in.

DrivenKeys:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:33:25 ---
--- Quote from: DrivenKeys on Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:32:00 ---Could anybody recommend a good donor mouse? I know some are easier to pull apart than others. I can solder, etc, so relocating switches isn't out of the picture. Ideally, just tilting the top and relocating the sensor would be great, but I gather they often integrate the sensor into the pcb. That EVGA Torq looks promising, as the adjustable height top buttons are already seperate from the main sensor. Any thoughts before I start opening random mice?

--- End quote ---

Sounds like the Torq is similar to the G900/903.
While not adjustable, they have has separate pcbs connected by wires for the switch buttons.

One mouse I would HIGHLY avoid is the G700, not that you would probably want to use it but it has two hard mounted doublestacked pcbs that the switches mount to. I couldn't get them separated without destroying it and you have to do that to reach the switches or you risk other damage. It was not designed to be easy to work in.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! Both the G900 and Torq look promising. This teardown vid shows the Torq could be a good donor, lots of seperate pcb's with ribbon cable:
 Good to know about the G900 wired switches, but when I look at this teardown video: it looks like having the scroll wheel on the same pcb as the sensor might prevent an easy mod.

For 10 bux, I'll try one of these first: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264599335386

Leslieann:
True the wheel is mounted to the sensor board, but the sensor is well positioned (centered) well so I'm not sure you would really need to move it.

There was also those MadCatz  R.A.T. series (look at the 7 and 9)  that were totally adjustable, from a quick glance it looks like the buttons and sensor are one part and everything else just bolts to that (including side switches). Not as adjustable for your wants, but probably an easier mod.

DrivenKeys:
The wheel would need to tilt with the buttons, so the board holding the wheel would have to tilt, so the sensor would no longer be parallel to the desk. There's no way around it, I need buttons and wheel to be independent of the sensor board.

Those Madcatz look interesting. I also looked at teardowns of the Razer deathadder, which looked very easy: the buttons and wheel are a whole unit completely independent of the sensor board, connected only by a ribbon cable. Even with a righty deathadder, the mod would be easy.

For now, I ordered a lefty Goldtouch from ebay, plus that 10 dollar Anker knockoff I listed. Somehow, I'll cobble something good...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version