Author Topic: [IC] Keychron Q1  (Read 110976 times)

Offline ryanaleksander

Re: [IC] Keychron Q1
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 02:51:29 »
I don't understand the point of leaving the gap above the right arrow key? There is clearly enough space for another key. Leaving it empty just makes it look less appealing
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 July 2021, 02:53:33 by ryanaleksander »

Offline arcanoth

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 07:02:15 »

I am interested in getting a hot swap board, and was going to get the GMMK Pro, but it just seems like they cut every corner with that one when it comes to QC.

I've owned a few Keychron boards and I'm just gonna say you better buckle up when it comes to QC  ;D

Oh, this makes me a bit anxious. It couldn't be that bad, could it? :blank:

I've only owned 1 Keychron product so far. Bought a C1 a few months ago and have had absolutely 0 QC concerns. In fact I was pretty blown away at the quality given the price (it's like $50 or something silly like that). Yes it's plastic, but does not feel cheap to me, coming from a custom wood/brass 65%. If I have one gripe, it would be that some of the hotswap sockets (yes it's hotswap for $50!) are a little tight, but not so tight that I was worried about anything breaking.

I would expect that with the Q1 there is more to go wrong, so that's something to consider, but I'm not personally anxious based on my experience with the C1 so far.

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 14:14:27 »
Yes Keychron has had some QC issues in the past and support has not been what you would expect either. I have worked hard over the last 2 years to give every customer the support they want and deserve and have started a Reddit help thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/Keychron/comments/ll12r0/reddit_support_20/where I have been able to give about 600 customers the solution they wanted. So this project will continue from me for Q1. The problem with the support is simply what I like to call "Western standards" I had a conversation about this with Keychron and we will gradually improve the support and I personally will work on it.

For all other topics I have written a FAQ in Discord and post updates there. So if you have any questions feel free to link me there and I will answer all questions.

Thank you very much for the great feedback and now I'm just waiting for the review boards, which will be sent out in the middle of August to the reviewers. Bigger changes will find place in Q2, smaller changes we still want to enforce in Q1.

Brass weight, knob and e-white will not be available at release and will be offered afterwards. There is no exact timeline yet, but everything should happen asap.

And what elmo said correctly, qmk could be done with bluetooth support (zmk) but VIA isnt supported and thats what keychronis trying to figure out now.

Thanks for all that feedback!

Offline lw88

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 10:51:23 »
I hope that you can change the gasket design before release. It looks like those side ones are going to do nothing but make the board stiffer.

Offline unusuaL_

• Illustrious
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 11:28:03 »
I hope that you can change the gasket design before release. It looks like those side ones are going to do nothing but make the board stiffer.
Forgive me for being dumb and asking, but can’t you just not install them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
collection: yae60 proto, f1-8k (cocogoat shill), hhkb pro2

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 04:32:24 »
If you think those will make it to stiff just dont install them. There are some gaskets pre installed and u will have enough extra gaskets to put on urself to hit ur personal preferences

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 10:24:39 »
I don't understand the point of leaving the gap above the right arrow key? There is clearly enough space for another key. Leaving it empty just makes it look less appealing

no, that would be cluttered and ugly.

thank god we have a chance to buy it knobless, for the same reason.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #157 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 09:10:00 »

The first part of the lineup for the Q1

Offline FamilyJoule924

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 10:30:31 »
no way to get this in green?

Offline Valgaut

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:49:57 »
I know this is coming up soon, but do you know what colors they'll have on launch?

Offline unusuaL_

• Illustrious
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:56:06 »
I know this is coming up soon, but do you know what colors they'll have on launch?
Black, Grey, Blue and Navy. E-White is going to come later.
collection: yae60 proto, f1-8k (cocogoat shill), hhkb pro2

Offline zookb

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 14:05:44 »
Any plans to release a stl file or anything so we can make our own covers for the top right space? If not I’m sure we could figure it out, but the easier the better?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 03 August 2021, 09:13:45 »
Any plans to release a stl file or anything so we can make our own covers for the top right space? If not I’m sure we could figure it out, but the easier the better?

Im atm in a talk with keychron about making a contest and most voted gets a free board, but keychron offers a custom badge for everyone you have to send them ur icon/text/whatever and they will produce it I think I read 29USD

Offline scie

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 12:43:38 »
Did I miss something when we can order the keyboard or is there a delay?

Offline chat and team

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 13:08:53 »
Ç'est le commencement de la fin
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 07:52:05 »
Did I miss something when we can order the keyboard or is there a delay?

Embargo lift for reviews is the 24.08 and on 24.08 the board will be able to be pre orderd, there was a delay trough some issuese with pcb and plate

Offline lw88

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 13:57:30 »
The sound test is not making me optimistic. I hope there was something seriously wrong with your recording and that reviewers and creators can do it justice, somehow.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 05:37:13 »
The sound test is not making me optimistic. I hope there was something seriously wrong with your recording and that reviewers and creators can do it justice, somehow.

I hope so too. I will receive my Proto in the next few days here in Germany and will then see for myself what caused it to be so reverberant. Maybe the switches, missing foam or just bad equipment. If I can find out, I will post an update on it.

Offline vanda

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 06:28:24 »
Take my money, this is insane.

Offline Evasive

« Reply #169 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 11:19:54 »
The sound test didn't really sound like a gasket mounted keyboard with foam. I will wait for other people to build this. Hopefully some one can make this sound good because the price point for a aluminum gasket is pretty attractive.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #170 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 16:13:30 »
The sound test didn't really sound like a gasket mounted keyboard with foam. I will wait for other people to build this. Hopefully some one can make this sound good because the price point for a aluminum gasket is pretty attractive.

There are over 20 reviewers including
Taeha,
Andy V Nguyen,
Apiary,
Mechmerlin,
Hamaji,
Glarses,
Alexotos
Im pretty sure one of them will make it :)

Offline Bruno7obe

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 08:23:02 »
Looking forward to the testers but I am confused about the colors.

There seems to be listed a Blue and a Navy Blue but only one blue in the marketing... Was this dropped?

Thank you!

Offline Mad_Rhetoric

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 08:33:10 »
What happened to the Navy option? The photos on the website look like the blue case that was just rebranded as Navy, as that is empirically not the color of Navy. Will that be the actual color of the "Navy" option or are you guys still waiting on photography and rendering?

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 11:51:40 »
very exciting .. i don't have unlimited budget but like to try a diff layout.. so i am very happy that Keychron is doing this i did like the GMMK board but it had lot's of things that were less good..
Seems that this is a better board..
i will still need to read all the comments just wanted to add that i'm all in for the 3x1u bottom.. i have it on my tada's i have it on my two NK65 alu..
in short keycaps with 3*1u are not difficult to get and it leaves me with the fn and ctrl key on the right side to use as layer switching keys.. i like that..

And i really really like that i can opt out of the useless badge and have a knob there how cool is that..
i will keep a close eye on this board. one question do you think there will be any EU vendors for this board ???
Thanks again there are does of us that do appreciate your effort of communicating via Geekhack to Keychron.. forget about all the elitist folks that think this is just a place for people that can spend several hundred $$ and pay a couple hundred $$ just on custom fees like it's nothing..

Offline lw88

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 12:42:50 »
Why did you change the pricing on the keychron website? It's 149 for barebones when you said 139. This thing is raising a lot of red flags. It seems like you just promise one thing and deliver another, while claiming to entertain feedback.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 20:07:52 »
!!!PRICE ANNOUNCEMENT & CHANGE!!!
Barebone 139USD
Fully assembled with double shot ABS keycaps and switches 169USD

That's entirely my fault; I simply messed up the exchange rate and just put 150€ as 150USD. We've now agreed to reduce the price Keychron originally requested for the barebone from 150USD to 139USD, and for the fully assembled from 179USD to 169USD bringing the fully assembled price closer to the original price I called out.
I'm really sorry for that and I know when people are angry about it but it was a honest mistake.

File this under 'apologies that didn't age well'

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 05:52:58 »
Looking forward to the testers but I am confused about the colors.

There seems to be listed a Blue and a Navy Blue but only one blue in the marketing... Was this dropped?

Thank you!
Blue got dropped, Navy is now in, colors where updated but page still wip: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-Q1?variant=39406902444121

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 05:54:55 »
!!!PRICE ANNOUNCEMENT & CHANGE!!!
Barebone 139USD
Fully assembled with double shot ABS keycaps and switches 169USD

That's entirely my fault; I simply messed up the exchange rate and just put 150€ as 150USD. We've now agreed to reduce the price Keychron originally requested for the barebone from 150USD to 139USD, and for the fully assembled from 179USD to 169USD bringing the fully assembled price closer to the original price I called out.
I'm really sorry for that and I know when people are angry about it but it was a honest mistake.

File this under 'apologies that didn't age well'

Idk if I just forgot to update it here but I did in the discord and on facebook. We had to decide if we wanna have enough chips in stock and support qmk/via trough all batches, thats why keychron overpaid on a lot of chips trough the chip shortage we have since corona. Thats where the price raise was, website is listed as 149USD for barebone and 159USD as "original price" if chips wont increase in price the 149USD will stay even after pre order ended.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 05:57:04 »
Why did you change the pricing on the keychron website? It's 149 for barebones when you said 139. This thing is raising a lot of red flags. It seems like you just promise one thing and deliver another, while claiming to entertain feedback.

explanation above, just had a lot to do at my real job and didnt updated GH but posted all explanations on discord and short explanation above. Im not the one with money involved, just doing my best to get all customers an item as cheap as possible with best quality. But I know what u mean and I acceppt that. There where a lot of circumstances in the past that forced keychron into those changes.

Offline te-ce

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 01:32:57 »
If I buy a wired Q1 now, could you estimate how much an upgrade to a wireless Q1 would be?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 05:50:10 »
If I buy a wired Q1 now, could you estimate how much an upgrade to a wireless Q1 would be?
I cant, im sorry.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 05:54:44 »
Since Keychrons own soundtest wasnt good, cause of weird sound filters and not known equipment Andy V Nguyen had the permission to record and pre release a soundtest including mods on the Q1 you will find it here:

Yes it sounds very hollow unmodded but check out the latest parts with papertower/foam + tape mod.
On his feedback Keychron will provide more thicker foam as an free extra in each Q1 box so people can foamed it more if they want. Flex even with an alu plate is pretty good imo. So if you will go witha n FR4/PC plate u can get more flex meanwhile foaming more to get a better soundprofile.
After we gather all feedbacks on the reviews at the 24.08.2021 we will sit down and check what we can do better for future boards like the Q2 and will see to get progress done. Already thank you to everyone who followed on this journey and hopefully we will figure everything out.

Offline tuxkey

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 10:03:39 »
i really really appreciate the sound test .. i am not exaggerating when i say it's one if not the best sound test i have ever seen.. showing so many options giving a nice overview ... :thumb:

i was hesitant to say this because i did not want to discourage companies from doing these type of sound tests in the future..
But i found the sound to be less then desirable to my ears.. in comparison or as reference this is a sound i would like to hear..
check out the Geon Frog TKL Andy V Nguyen   

i would like the Keychron PCB in that board hahah.. please do a pcb that fits that board.. because i don't know of many RGB pcb's with via/gmk for a tkl hahah

Having said all that the last sound test sounds  a bit better not a Geon Frog level better.. and i would be willing to pay a bit more for a Keychron that comes closer to the Frog TKL..
As i need to import the Keychron Q1 to The Netherlands i need to add 21% + at least 11% customs fees over the total price that's including the shipping fees..
Making this board more expensive and thus i need to be a bit more critical.. if there were EU vendors that sell if for the same price.. it would be an instant buy and well worth the modding or any sound issues.. as it's a nice package with the knob..

one question : on their site i see i switch to go from apple to win mode  .. i don't understand this switch if it's a via/qmk board why does one need this switch?
and if it is still going to be there .. will it programmable say for instance to turn of the lighting ??

Offline mori63

« Reply #183 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 08:00:47 »
On his feedback Keychron will provide more thicker foam as an free extra in each Q1 box so people can foamed it more if they want.

So does this come with the pre-order batch? or later batches?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 11:28:41 »
i really really appreciate the sound test .. i am not exaggerating when i say it's one if not the best sound test i have ever seen.. showing so many options giving a nice overview ... :thumb:

i was hesitant to say this because i did not want to discourage companies from doing these type of sound tests in the future..
But i found the sound to be less then desirable to my ears.. in comparison or as reference this is a sound i would like to hear..
check out the Geon Frog TKL Andy V Nguyen   

i would like the Keychron PCB in that board hahah.. please do a pcb that fits that board.. because i don't know of many RGB pcb's with via/gmk for a tkl hahah

Having said all that the last sound test sounds  a bit better not a Geon Frog level better.. and i would be willing to pay a bit more for a Keychron that comes closer to the Frog TKL..
As i need to import the Keychron Q1 to The Netherlands i need to add 21% + at least 11% customs fees over the total price that's including the shipping fees..
Making this board more expensive and thus i need to be a bit more critical.. if there were EU vendors that sell if for the same price.. it would be an instant buy and well worth the modding or any sound issues.. as it's a nice package with the knob..

one question : on their site i see i switch to go from apple to win mode  .. i don't understand this switch if it's a via/qmk board why does one need this switch?
and if it is still going to be there .. will it programmable say for instance to turn of the lighting ??

First thanks for the feedback.
There are no customs for EU people, keychron cleares them on their own in poland/Belgium.
Candykeys will probably get some afaik but I orderd multiple keychron boards on my own and never had to pay the VAT for germany I paid the 99USD for the board + Shipping thats it.
The switch will allow u to swap physically between layers so with QMK/VIA u have 4 layers overall, this switch splits it into 2x 2 layers so Switch on position 1 is Layer 1 and from layer 1 u can go into layer 2 by keybind.
Switch on Position 2 is layer 3 and u can go into layer 4 by keybind. Hope you got what I was trying to explain if not maybe this photo will explain it: https://imgur.com/a/QSfWteq

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 August 2021, 15:26:49 by cheswick »

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 11:29:02 »
On his feedback Keychron will provide more thicker foam as an free extra in each Q1 box so people can foamed it more if they want.

So does this come with the pre-order batch? or later batches?

Already the first Q1 will have the extra foam in the box

Offline salgiza

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 01:28:43 »
Making this board more expensive and thus i need to be a bit more critical.. if there were EU vendors that sell if for the same price.. it would be an instant buy and well worth the modding or any sound issues.. as it's a nice package with the knob.

FWIW: Eloquentclicks already lists the keyboard on their site, and I’m sure they won’t be the only EU distributors that sell it.

Offline heretic

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 09:26:34 »
Candykeys will probably get some afaik but I orderd multiple keychron boards on my own and never had to pay the VAT for germany I paid the 99USD for the board + Shipping thats it.
The switch will allow u to swap physically between layers so with QMK/VIA u have 4 layers overall, this switch splits it into 2x 2 layers so Switch on position 1 is Layer 1 and from layer 1 u can go into layer 2 by keybind.
Switch on Position 2 is layer 3 and u can go into layer 4 by keybind. Hope you got what I was trying to explain if not maybe this photo will explain it: https://imgur.com/a/QSfWteq

So the switch just changes what the default layer is? Can you still use the other two layers, or are you limited to just two at a time (in any given mode)?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 22 August 2021, 17:07:08 »

So the switch just changes what the default layer is? Can you still use the other two layers, or are you limited to just two at a time (in any given mode)?

I have to test it myself when my board is here (its in shipping for close to a month now cause it got send back to china cause of any weird problems but others went trough so unlucky me) But for my understanding ur limited to 2 at a time but I will test this and see if there is a workaround.

Offline Qeu

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 01:35:51 »
When is the actual embargo lift? Will we be able to check some reviews before the official launch time?

Offline irithyll

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:11:47 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2022, 12:18:13 by irithyll »

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 08:46:22 »
So... The strength of this keyboard seems to be in it's value for the price. However, it seems that the shipping, at least for the barebone version, is $30 to the United States. That means $180 for the barebone. I'm not sure if that was intended, but $180 does not seem to be a good deal anymore at least in the US. I was ready to buy it as soon as it kit was released, but I kinda feel backstabbed by the rather absurd shipping fee. Very unfortunate.

Thats what shipping cost for a 2KG monster which gets send out of china :D
You can check local proxys if one of them retails the Q1 which will be around october: https://www.keychron.com/pages/where-to-buy?fbclid=IwAR3KDHfjn08s6QXNv1hFKL_td5bONkTecNfSDh4VLavFIgm5oD-WMenCkiQ

But keychron is already paying part of the shipping fees DHL isnt cheap

Offline Hdjekso

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 11:08:11 »
So... The strength of this keyboard seems to be in it's value for the price. However, it seems that the shipping, at least for the barebone version, is $30 to the United States. That means $180 for the barebone. I'm not sure if that was intended, but $180 does not seem to be a good deal anymore at least in the US. I was ready to buy it as soon as it kit was released, but I kinda feel backstabbed by the rather absurd shipping fee. Very unfortunate.

This ain't Amazon, international shipping isn't cheap. $30 is already an incredibly respectable fee if it's shipped from China. I'm assuming you've never bought boards from non-US vendors before?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 14:47:36 »

This ain't Amazon, international shipping isn't cheap. $30 is already an incredibly respectable fee if it's shipped from China. I'm assuming you've never bought boards from non-US vendors before?

Yes, most people are unaware of anything other than free Amazon shipping.
This board, including packaging, weighs 2kg, and VAT has already been calculated for EU, US, and UK shipping.

Offline CaiusCosades

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 10:53:01 »
Is there any word on whether or not the Q1 will be able to fit MT3 profile keycaps? Ordinarily, I would assume there would be no issue, but I’ve read that some boards can’t quite fit them, and from the pictures and vids I’ve seen, the inner edge of the chassis seems prety close to the keycaps.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #195 on: Wed, 01 September 2021, 09:02:11 »
Is there any word on whether or not the Q1 will be able to fit MT3 profile keycaps? Ordinarily, I would assume there would be no issue, but I’ve read that some boards can’t quite fit them, and from the pictures and vids I’ve seen, the inner edge of the chassis seems prety close to the keycaps.

I can try that I have dev/tty mt3 here

edit: Tested mods and they fitted and worked without a problem
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:06:41 by cheswick »

Offline CaiusCosades

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 09:45:55 »

Awesome! Thanks for testing that. I recently fell in love with the MT3 profile keys and am looking forward to outfitting the Q1 with them.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 18:24:29 »

I have the same ones on another keychron keyboard, but these are the pbt caps. The ABS caps are actually too wide and will get stuck on the key stroke, so be careful with that. They might be too wide for the Q1 as well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 09:58:55 »

I have the same ones on another keychron keyboard, but these are the pbt caps. The ABS caps are actually too wide and will get stuck on the key stroke, so be careful with that. They might be too wide for the Q1 as well.

Could maybe be a problem since other Keychron boards are build with north facing leds as far as I know?

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #199 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 18:02:40 »

Could maybe be a problem since other Keychron boards are build with north facing leds as far as I know?
Maybe, but it's specifically with the MT3 ABS key caps, as the MT3 pbt don't have this problem.