Author Topic: [IC] Keychron Q1  (Read 110964 times)

Offline Arcoril

Re: [IC] Keychron Q1
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 23:02:50 »
C'mon dude, your gasket design is bad and your board is basically just a greatest hits of what has been popular in the last year or two.  This feels like a low effort cash grab.

This is not reasonable at all. I like the design quite a bit, and the innovation is in the price point. There's only one other board competing with this one.

None of the things wrong with the design would require increasing the price.  In my opinion we should have higher expectations for an actual OEM.

You haven't actually listed anything wrong with the design and you can't articulate any of your issues. You make broad statements about them needing to do research and how people should have higher expectations. These are all vague. If you have reasonable suggestions, be specific about them.

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 23:19:53 »
C'mon dude, your gasket design is bad and your board is basically just a greatest hits of what has been popular in the last year or two.  This feels like a low effort cash grab.

This is not reasonable at all. I like the design quite a bit, and the innovation is in the price point. There's only one other board competing with this one.

None of the things wrong with the design would require increasing the price.  In my opinion we should have higher expectations for an actual OEM.

You haven't actually listed anything wrong with the design and you can't articulate any of your issues. You make broad statements about them needing to do research and how people should have higher expectations. These are all vague. If you have reasonable suggestions, be specific about them.

No.  I am not going to do their homework for them.  There are countless examples of how to properly implement a gasket mount. This is bare minimum level research imo. We should not be encouraging OEMs to come in here with half baked products and expect the community to fix it for them so that they can make money. 

Offline rondg

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 00:02:33 »
I don't think the side tabs on the switch plate is necessary? Besides the ID80 Crystal, I haven't seen any 75% keyboards implement gasket mounting that way.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 00:15:51 »
This seems like a decent alternative to another entry level board from a different source.

Nice work and great price point. I'll be considering this when it's available.  :thumb:
A-a-ron

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 00:49:12 »
I have loved my Hotswap Keychron K6 as my gateway into mechanical keyboards. People just need to know what to expect. At this price point and by the looks of it, it’s highly unlikely that the plate, PCB, case design, or gasket design will result in a great feeling and sounding board, that’s normal and to be expected.

It’s great to have another entry level keyboard option.

Just don’t look at a feature list and think that’s what makes a high end custom keyboard.

P.S. Buying a hotswap Keychron for your spouse and putting NK Creams or Gateron Ink Black v2s for them to break in is the real big brain move.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 June 2021, 07:43:10 by DeMechanica »

Offline Tree_

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 01:02:06 »
    Interest Checks are intended to provide feedback on a design before it goes in to production. This design looks fairly set in stone and you already have a release schedule, so whats the point of this thread?

Other than that:

• This is essentially a clone of the GMMK Pro which was a ripoff of the Sat75, only it's $50 more. For what reason should anyone buy this over a GMMK Pro?
    • You've listed the switches as "Normal Gateron" but haven't elaborated on which?
    • What is the weight of the board unbuilt? Built? With Brass Plate? With Brass Weight?
    • Are you able to elaborate on the purpose of some of the plates tabs? For the purpose of the gasket mount, they appear to be completely useless.
    • Are you able to elaborate on layout options? You've stated that the board is hotswap with ANSI/ISO, but have not provided what layout options are are available (Split Backspace, Split Bars, etcetc)?
    • Is the TBA Brass Weight internal or external? Does it have a logo on it?
    • There's no renders of the bottom of the board, will this be left plain or have a logo on it?
    • If you already have a proto of the board, why would you not show us it as part of the IC instead of "wait until later"?
    • Given the quick turnaround considering you intend on selling in the next week and a half at minimum ("July 2021") will there be reviews or steamer builds of the board before it goes on sale?
    • How is this not a buzzword loaded cash grab from an OEM?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 June 2021, 01:04:12 by Tree_ »

Offline Suds

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 02:05:53 »
This is essentially a clone of the GMMK Pro which was a ripoff of the Sat75, only it's $50 more. For what reason should anyone buy this over a GMMK Pro?

? The GMMK Pro is $170, barebones. This is $150, with switches and keycaps.

Ah, I see where you're making your mistake. The GMMK Pro is currently sold out, and you can reserve one for $100. But you need to pay another $70 + shipping eventually.

As for your final point: what's the difference between a "buzzword laden cash grab" and "selling a product"? I don't understand this complaint at all. Another guy said the same thing, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. The GMMK Pro is popular right now for offering something that people want at a price which was previously unattainable. Especially for a board "in stock." (All right, maybe not. But at least it's not a group buy.) Keychron comes along and offers something even better and... that's a cash grab?

Well, it's better if you ignore the lack of an End key. Do other people not use that? I use it all the time. I just used it, just now. I would still get the GMMK.   

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 03:01:21 »
Certainly nice to see Keychron branching into the enthusiast market considering that my first real mechanical keyboard was a Keychron K2 :)

May be a little too late, but would suggest the following:

- If plate flex is an intended part of the design, would suggest removing the side tabs
- The front height of 21.6mm is on the high side, especially in the enthusiast market where most can go as low as 17mm. The high front height is an issue that has plagued existing Keychrons as well, so I feel that this should not be ignored.
- Assuming the layout is fixed, keys on the right of space bar should be 1.5u/1.5u. 1u mods are less preferred.
- Angle at 5.2 degrees seems on the low side.

Other than that, I think this can be a really good option for a fully assembled off the shelf option!

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 06:46:34 »
Looked so good originally without the useless badge / knob you're forcing down everyone's throat.

Now it's just another knob / badge trash meta.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline P103

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 06:58:53 »
This is essentially a clone of the GMMK Pro which was a ripoff of the Sat75, only it's $50 more. For what reason should anyone buy this over a GMMK Pro?

? The GMMK Pro is $170, barebones. This is $150, with switches and keycaps.

Ah, I see where you're making your mistake. The GMMK Pro is currently sold out, and you can reserve one for $100. But you need to pay another $70 + shipping eventually.

As for your final point: what's the difference between a "buzzword laden cash grab" and "selling a product"? I don't understand this complaint at all. Another guy said the same thing, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. The GMMK Pro is popular right now for offering something that people want at a price which was previously unattainable. Especially for a board "in stock." (All right, maybe not. But at least it's not a group buy.) Keychron comes along and offers something even better and... that's a cash grab?

Well, it's better if you ignore the lack of an End key. Do other people not use that? I use it all the time. I just used it, just now. I would still get the GMMK.

This is a cash grab because they come in less than two month before production and pretend they will implement feedback from the community. A solo designer can't implement changes and test it out on proto in less than two months, do you think a company could manage that faster? If you like the board go ahead and buy it, but all you get is just another keychron keyboard.

Offline Robert.Lussier5

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 09:48:17 »
they have actually been implementing feedback from their facebook group page for about a month to 2 months and decided to get more feedback from other sources.

They have changed several things so far to include the rotary encoder, the bezels on the case, colors and the brass weight.

Keychron 100% has been implementing feedback.
Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 10:18:33 »
they have actually been implementing feedback from their facebook group page for about a month to 2 months and decided to get more feedback from other sources.

They have changed several things so far to include the rotary encoder, the bezels on the case, colors and the brass weight.

Thank you, as I already explained:
Yes this IC is pretty short, because Keychron itself have no clue about reddit or GH and asked me to help them out to push it out here. Thats why this "IC" is that close to the release. But even now I made a list with all suggested changes and will try to bring them trough before we will release.

Offline Mike2046

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 11:04:03 »
Color me intrigued. Honestly, the current boards of Keychron have underwhelming quality, especially with their "alu" version. This seems like a nice change of pace. I hope you go with ARM chips instead of ATMega32U4, because some of us (me) need that extra flash for ungodly number of layers. Otherwise, a lot is going to depend on the QC.

Offline Shaqo_Wyn

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 11:36:06 »
Lose the badge. Align the arrow keys with the rest of the bottom row.

Offline phoenixrage

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 12:21:36 »

Thank you, as I already explained:
Yes this IC is pretty short, because Keychron itself have no clue about reddit or GH and asked me to help them out to push it out here. Thats why this "IC" is that close to the release. But even now I made a list with all suggested changes and will try to bring them trough before we will release.

So are they open to making some changes to layout?  If not, then technically its not really an IC, as traditionally, IC is more about getting feedback and making some changes based on feedback.  Otherwise, its just an announcement.

That being said, I am probably going to check it out.  Hopefully they gave the gaskets some room so its not so pre-compressed by the case.  Also hope they will offer other softer plate materials.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 12:34:33 »
Well layout is preference, but I might as well add that for me the most aesthetic layout is similar to the evolv where u keep the bezels equal all around the arrows (this means using a smaller shift)

I also prefer the 4 key cluster that evolv/gmmk pro uses.

Offline blosFk

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 12:46:08 »
Definitely interested in the Yellow. Maybe a cyan color too?

Offline MuzzledMantis

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 12:50:49 »
This kb looks very promising, joined the mailing list and hoping the yellow or blue case will be made. I'm looking forwards to hearing more news.

Offline Sandersoni

• andidas.com
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 15:15:01 »
The badge is awful, I would much prefer an extra key in a non rotary encoder version. Make the badge as invisible as possible.
That means I have to get the rotary encoder version.
What options are there for the encoder? Are you planning for encoder knobs matching the case colour?

Based on your previous designs, please avoid any type of branding on the case and on the weights.

Transparent/milky plate option for rgb shine through would be good.

Big thumbs up for hot swap ISO option.

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 15:32:41 »
Call me a cynic but I'd be surprised if the design changes in any sort of meaningful way prior to production, regardless of feedback to this 'IC'

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 15:50:14 »
The badge is awful, I would much prefer an extra key in a non rotary encoder version. Make the badge as invisible as possible.
That means I have to get the rotary encoder version.
What options are there for the encoder? Are you planning for encoder knobs matching the case colour?

Based on your previous designs, please avoid any type of branding on the case and on the weights.

Transparent/milky plate option for rgb shine through would be good.

Big thumbs up for hot swap ISO option.

You have the option do ditch the badge and use a key. The badge is only there to cover an optional key socket, that if you prefer can use as a key.

Offline MisterMayhem

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 16:03:42 »
This board looks awesome.  Really interesting how this turns out. Please be in stock. lmao

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 17:15:44 »

To be fair, that doesn't count as innovation. That's just taking advantage of economies of scale.

Offline asdfdemi

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 18:01:32 »
I would personally prefer there be 4 keys instead of 3 keys in that cluster of navigation keys above the arrow keys. Such as Home, Page Up, Page Down, End, rather than just Home, Page Up, Page Down. Borrowing the layout of the GMMK Pro. I wouldn't want to just reprogram where Del is currently, as I would also want that to be Del or PrntScrn or similar.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 19:08:45 »
Hope this gasket won't be poopoo

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 20 June 2021, 23:39:06 »
Because of the overwhelming response here and on Reddit, we've decided to push back the pre-order release date to the end of July, and the shipping date to late August. All other changes will be labeled "Edit1" at the bottom of the IC.
Thank you for providing so much feedback and allowing me to put it into practice.

Offline Keeblover

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 02:15:53 »
Thanks for the update and dont worry its still a nice price

Offline Mystik

• ISO pleb
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 03:50:47 »
Agreed on aligning the arrow keys with the rest of the keys, designs with these misaligned arrows look awful.

I personally don't mind if the knob is a knob or an "extra" key, as long as that spot has more function than having a useless badge...

Offline rondg

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 04:17:25 »
3 1u's and not 2 1.5u's? I guess their pcb manu has started already. So much for asking for feedback...

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 04:54:49 »
3 1u's and not 2 1.5u's? I guess their pcb manu has started already. So much for asking for feedback...

Hasnt and beside some people most lf 3x1u as far as our survey on facebook and discord showed it. But we consider as written to do a 2x 1.5u in second batch to fill everyone needs

Offline Keeblover

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 15:31:17 »
What do you mean exactly with "2x 1.5u will be not available at launch, maybe later." any time frame for those different batches?

Offline rondg

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 16:19:13 »
Then why not include it in the first release? You moved your sked anyways, why not maximize the time and add those features?

Hasnt and beside some people most lf 3x1u as far as our survey on facebook and discord showed it. But we consider as written to do a 2x 1.5u in second batch to fill everyone needs

Offline phoenixrage

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 17:37:17 »
Then why not include it in the first release? You moved your sked anyways, why not maximize the time and add those features?

im guessing they've already got a batch in production with this layout.

Offline rondg

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 21 June 2021, 18:25:06 »
That's what is said earlier but he replied that pcb manu hasn't started yet

im guessing they've already got a batch in production with this layout.

Offline Sturmtiger

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 14:04:29 »
Looking great, the GMMK pro we wanted from the start possibly even!

Offline MuadDef

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 09:02:29 »
Sir, this is Geekhack and not a newspaper

Agreed, this is more akin to a PR communication than an actual Interest Check

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 10:55:29 »

Would love an explanation since we changed kinda everything people requested beside the bottom row 2x1.5u which only some wanted but we have this in our mind for other pcbs in the future but the surveys in our groups voted for 3x1u

Offline chayu

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 13:44:06 »
h8rs gun h8- not that they are wrong- IC this close to release is sus

I would have liked it to not have the exploded arrow and nav clusters. Or be another 75....  let's see what Keychron actually delivers for less than a GMMK Pro.

Offline sent1nu11

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 14:15:58 »
I certainly like the options of additional gateron switches (yellow) just to stand out from the crowd. The gaskey looks like the Jelly Epoch design.  cool.

Offline Alucard0303

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 01:18:18 »
Any Bluetooth/wireless capability?

Offline rondg

« Reply #90 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 04:58:22 »

Would love an explanation since we changed kinda everything people requested beside the bottom row 2x1.5u which only some wanted but we have this in our mind for other pcbs in the future but the surveys in our groups voted for 3x1u

Maybe share the survey here and on reddit?

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 05:24:29 »

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 08:19:07 »

Maybe share the survey here and on reddit?

Have to check if I still have a screenshot of it, but im pretty sure I made one of the survey in the facebook group back in the days. But I take this as feedback to do survey not only on 1 plattform maybe cross-platform surveys via google forms.
If you want a screenshot just dm me and I will see where I have it.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 08:26:00 »

No bluetooth because bluetooth and via arent friends right now. But Keychron is working on it for a bluetooth version maybe next year

Offline steven7

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 22:22:24 »

No bluetooth because bluetooth and via arent friends right now. But Keychron is working on it for a bluetooth version maybe next year
Since this is technically an IC, I would definitely hop on the pre-order if it has reliable Bluetooth (am using modded K6 now and the Bluetooth is quite good), I know its not exactly friendly with QMK/VIA but I actually would prefer Bluetooth over that (please don't flame me).

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 10:49:54 »

Since this is technically an IC, I would definitely hop on the pre-order if it has reliable Bluetooth (am using modded K6 now and the Bluetooth is quite good), I know its not exactly friendly with QMK/VIA but I actually would prefer Bluetooth over that (please don't flame me).

Yeah bluetooth will be the next step but there is already a community fix to make K6 working with qmk.

Offline scie

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 11:47:26 »
Will the ISO version also be hot swappable?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 13:00:24 »
Will the ISO version also be hot swappable?

Yes of course

Offline Valgaut

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 13:30:23 »
Looks interesting, just please, for us all, make the USB-C connection on the back left or back center. Actually, anywhere except the left side of the keyboard. (edit: Ok, I think I see it on the back left in the exploded view render, thank you for that!)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 June 2021, 13:49:28 by Valgaut »

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 27 June 2021, 14:27:58 »
Looks interesting, just please, for us all, make the USB-C connection on the back left or back center. Actually, anywhere except the left side of the keyboard. (edit: Ok, I think I see it on the back left in the exploded view render, thank you for that!)

Yeah correct, usb c is on the back left