Author Topic: [IC] Keychron Q1  (Read 110975 times)

Offline deflorator24

Re: [IC] Keychron Q1
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 00:45:15 »
This looks promising.... hopefully your team will do good with it comes to the acoustic department of this keyboard.
I suggest to use LEGIT PORON foams not a flimsy foam you can see in gmmk pro.
Please use thick set of gaskets and try to incorporate cut lines in the pcb for more flex

if these things will be seen in this keyboard it will be epic for it's price... I will definitely get one

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 01:49:40 »
why is this here on geekhack?

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 07:12:05 »

To gather feedback before this item goes into production? Got a lot of good feedback Keychron and I took seriously and implemented and already made suggestion for comming batches and features we wanna support like multilayout with 2x1.5u, split keys and solder PCB

Offline te-ce

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 08:24:13 »

To gather feedback before this item goes into production? Got a lot of good feedback Keychron and I took seriously and implemented and already made suggestion for comming batches and features we wanna support like multilayout with 2x1.5u, split keys and solder PCB

I would like to know if 2x1.5u will only be possible for future batches, or when I buy the first batch, I can do 2x1.5u without buying any extras?

Also, might there be a wireless PCB extra in the future?

Offline Bruno7obe

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 09:44:57 »
Any news on what the Navy Blue will look like?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 11:59:49 »

I would like to know if 2x1.5u will only be possible for future batches, or when I buy the first batch, I can do 2x1.5u without buying any extras?
The minimum u had to buy would be a new PCB

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 01 July 2021, 12:01:20 »
Any news on what the Navy Blue will look like?

Got told they are still trying colors but should be close to this one: https://imgur.com/a/90lxoYk

Offline te-ce

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 01:49:26 »

okay thank you. Will the Q1 only be available at certain time through (more or less) Groupbuys? Or will it be always in stock?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 09:58:55 »

okay thank you. Will the Q1 only be available at certain time through (more or less) Groupbuys? Or will it be always in stock?

Will be in stock until Q2 gets released (maybe 3-4 months,  but this will be announced pretty early so nobody misses out)

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 10:08:59 »

Will be in stock until Q2 gets released (maybe 3-4 months,  but this will be announced pretty early so nobody misses out)
Is the Q2 the 65% variant of the Q1?

Offline kikimaru024

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 16:50:56 »
This looks really good!

What's this layout called BTW?
I've had 75% before but couldn't stand how there was no space between main row & extra buttons on right.

Offline te-ce

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 03:44:37 »
This looks really good!

What's this layout called BTW?
I've had 75% before but couldn't stand how there was no space between main row & extra buttons on right.

exploded 75%, exploded due to the spacing

Offline Leo66

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 02:51:57 »
Reserved~~~

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 06:42:14 »
Keychron announced even to me, they will give free USB C coiled aviator cables for free for the first Batch and this will be buyable as addon too, here the pic:

Since chips are still a Problem the first batch will be kinda limited since all chips are gone and after that Keychron announced to me to increase the price about 10USD to be able to buy more chips and when chip shortage is not a problem anymore to lower it again as long this happens meanwhile Q1 is live.

Review Units should be shipped at the 10th of July so reviewers have about 2 1/2 weeks to review it before the pre order starts. I will publish a document with each reviewer and link to all videos when this is available

edit: The pic shows USB C to C but for customers it will be A to C
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 July 2021, 11:39:37 by cheswick »

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 09:52:42 »
Keychron announced even to me, they will give free USB C coiled aviator cables for free for the first Batch and this will be buyable as addon too, here the pic:

Show Image

Since chips are still a Problem the first batch will be kinda limited since all chips are gone and after that Keychron announced to me to increase the price about 10USD to be able to buy more chips and when chip shortage is not a problem anymore to lower it again as long this happens meanwhile Q1 is live.

Review Units should be shipped at the 10th of July so reviewers have about 2 1/2 weeks to review it before the pre order starts. I will publish a document with each reviewer and link to all videos when this is available

Is there enough time for reviewers feedback to be taken into consideration and make the needed changes before the board is live?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 11:36:15 »

Show Image

Is there enough time for reviewers feedback to be taken into consideration and make the needed changes before the board is live?

If we talk about small changes yes there is enough time, but if there is a huge change this would be very hard to do. We did our best in the last 7 months do design it at best efforts. If there are any changes that would have a huge impact we have to see if we delay the Q1 or just sell it as it is and take all changes into the Q2

Offline rondg

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 20:27:22 »

Show Image

If we talk about small changes yes there is enough time, but if there is a huge change this would be very hard to do. We did our best in the last 7 months do design it at best efforts. If there are any changes that would have a huge impact we have to see if we delay the Q1 or just sell it as it is and take all changes into the Q2

Are you willing to make significant changes based on reviewers' feedback?

Offline Nuap

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 23:10:57 »
What are "Gateron Ink stabs" that you refer to in Edit1 of the OP?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 05:24:49 »

Hey not sure myself what I wrote there, I thought I meant GMK stabs, keychron tested gmk and durocks and they fit in the plates

Offline deflorator24

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 17:40:44 »
C'mon dude, your gasket design is bad and your board is basically just a greatest hits of what has been popular in the last year or two.  This feels like a low effort cash grab.

This is not reasonable at all. I like the design quite a bit, and the innovation is in the price point. There's only one other board competing with this one.

None of the things wrong with the design would require increasing the price.  In my opinion we should have higher expectations for an actual OEM.

You haven't actually listed anything wrong with the design and you can't articulate any of your issues. You make broad statements about them needing to do research and how people should have higher expectations. These are all vague. If you have reasonable suggestions, be specific about them.

No.  I am not going to do their homework for them.  There are countless examples of how to properly implement a gasket mount. This is bare minimum level research imo. We should not be encouraging OEMs to come in here with half baked products and expect the community to fix it for them so that they can make money.

Just pure toxicty  :D

Offline Nuap

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 17:50:16 »

Hey not sure myself what I wrote there, I thought I meant GMK stabs, keychron tested gmk and durocks and they fit in the plates

Gotcha, so the kit (169USD) includes Keychron produced stabs that are similar to GMK?

What about the barebones kit?

Also is there any news about configurable layouts, or will the hotswap PCB only support the layout shown in the renders? A lot of people in the community enjoy options like split space and split backspace so these are nice to have, even if it required a solder PCB.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 10:14:32 »

Gotcha, so the kit (169USD) includes Keychron produced stabs that are similar to GMK?

What about the barebones kit?

Also is there any news about configurable layouts, or will the hotswap PCB only support the layout shown in the renders? A lot of people in the community enjoy options like split space and split backspace so these are nice to have, even if it required a solder PCB.

Same for barebone and its hotswap only, so only the shown layout is supported atm. Keychron thinks about adding a solder PCB with all options later.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:43:53 by cheswick »

Offline Nuap

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 18:04:43 »
Same for barebone and its hotswap only, so only the shown layout is supported atm. Keychron things about adding a solder PCB with all options later.

Thanks for clearing that up. Plenty of other hotswap boards have multiple layout support so that's why I had to ask.

I'll be waiting until there's some more layout options before jumping on board.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 05:45:10 »
Same for barebone and its hotswap only, so only the shown layout is supported atm. Keychron things about adding a solder PCB with all options later.

Thanks for clearing that up. Plenty of other hotswap boards have multiple layout support so that's why I had to ask.

I'll be waiting until there's some more layout options before jumping on board.

Yeah sure but we will take this as feedback for the Q2 so that we probably have multiple layout support on hotswap PCBs there too.

And I would always suggest to wait for reviews the ones for Q1 will hopefully be online before pre order starts. Will make a post linked to each review about it.

Thanks for the feedback

Offline sayers

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 17:06:23 »
What do you mean by Q2, is it a other version like 65% or just a next version of Q1?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 11:18:04 »
What do you mean by Q2, is it a other version like 65% or just a next version of Q1?

Q2 will be thr 65% version

Offline sayers

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 16:39:38 »
So if they start making Q2 they will stop making Q1 or am I just that stupid and cant read?  :confused:

Offline Robert.Lussier5

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 06:30:52 »
So if they start making Q2 they will stop making Q1 or am I just that stupid and cant read?  :confused:

From my understanding is each variation of the Q keyboard will be run separately. So Q1 first, than Q2 etc etc. They plan to do multiple layouts. However, once they move on to the different layout the layout before will not be available. At least that's how I understand the explanation. 
Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline Nuap

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 21:10:52 »
I think they will keep selling them side-by-side? Like the current K series, all of which you can buy most of the time (except for intermittent stock issues).

Offline bkintanar

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 05:04:52 »
The gaskets looks like a foam dampeners. Aren't it supposed to be just on the sides?

Offline sayers

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 14:46:18 »

From my understanding is each variation of the Q keyboard will be run separately. So Q1 first, than Q2 etc etc. They plan to do multiple layouts. However, once they move on to the different layout the layout before will not be available. At least that's how I understand the explanation.
If they stop selling the Q1 the moment they start selling the Q2 it'll be kinda sad imo, I might not buy the Q1 when it launch, but if it'll have positive reviews then I might consider it. And then boom, Q1 is out, only option is Q2 which I probably wouldn't buy because I'm interested in it mostly because I was debating on buying GMMK Pro but it turned out pretty incomplete so...

Offline auckz

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 17:27:11 »

does the 96% version of it will be released the same day as Q1? if not, have any idea when (1 month, 6 months)?

Offline te-ce

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 03:44:31 »
are there any plans for maybe a translucent case?

Offline BareSphereMass

• (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 16 July 2021, 20:21:22 »
I realize I'm late, but:
- I like that its VIA and QMK compatible.
- I LOVE the rotary encoder, I hope you have some nice knob options.
- I am only interested in a bare bones kit.
- I would prefer 2 1.5u but its not a deal breaker.
- I hope keycron looks at all the things the GMMK Pro got wrong and they fix them.
- Alu is fine, but I would prefer a polycarbonate bottom for the RGB puke.

I am interested in getting a hot swap board, and was going to get the GMMK Pro, but it just seems like they cut every corner with that one when it comes to QC.

I really like that a company is producing an affordable board with a decent layout.  Many things in the keyboard world are priced crazy high, and I can’t recommend anything, because its $300+, or its out of stock, or the GB ended and now you cant get it.  Most normal people are not going to spend that much for a keyboard.
Current Keebs:  Atreus 42 (hand wired)  |  Anne Pro 2  |  Prime_E  |  Prime_Meridian
Next Keebs:  Polycarbonate Alice  |  Type-K  |  Wood Case Keeb
Current Keycaps:  OEM (POM & PBT)  |  SA R3 (PBT)  |  DSA (PBT)  |  MT3 Camillo  |  GMK Apollo  |  Deskr Canyon Caps  |  MT3 LotR Elvish  |  GMK Civilizations
Current ArtisansDwarf Factory Artisans (2x)  |  Rama x Keycult Brass (1x)  |  Holyoops D.VA Aluminum (cherry R4)  |  Walnut OEM R4  |  3D Printed Pikachu
On Order:   GMK Pharaoh (est. April 2024)
Other:   ZealPC Clickiez

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 08:21:53 »

does the 96% version of it will be released the same day as Q1? if not, have any idea when (1 month, 6 months)?

No Q1 will be first, 2-4 months after it will be Q2 and idk at this point what will be next % we will cover

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 08:30:16 »
are there any plans for maybe a translucent case?

not atm

Offline Distracto

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 12:30:41 »
I had a keychron and then sold it. The specs vs how it felt were two different things. Maybe this will be different? :|

Offline mlmurphy

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 18:31:14 »
Will we have a completed build sound test soon?

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 01:05:48 »
We had a problem where there was a chance that the PCB and Plate would separate from each other due to too much flex and room to move, so we had to fix that and move on to some other small issues, so the board will be postponed for a month so it will be pre-orderedable in late August, with shipping in late September. Before pre-ordering, reviews, including a sound test, will be available. I've temporarily halted the shipment of review units because correcting the pcb/plate issue may result in a different sound from the board itself, and I want potential customers to see exactly what they'll get in a review rather than something that will change some things later.

Offline tonykwon79

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 06:02:29 »
Need bluetooth connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sandersoni

• andidas.com
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 10:08:52 »
I had a keychron and then sold it. The specs vs how it felt were two different things. Maybe this will be different? :|

I am typing this on a wireless Keychron board. I own two, sold one.
I did some DIY modifications, paint and padding the bottom, changing switches and keycaps, and it's ok.
The standard K boards sold on the website do not really consider any of this enthusiast audience preferences in terms of sound and feel, and they are not meant to.
So i don't think it's comparable to what the Q1 will be.

Offline keguira

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 15:27:39 »
Need bluetooth connection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was answered before : as this is a keyboard driven by qmk / via, wireless connections is not possible (as these firmware do not handle them). Maybe on a next iteration without qmk / via

Offline lw88

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 10:44:58 »
Have to agree with previous feedback - the arrows need to be aligned with the rest of the board, the nav cluster should include more keys instead of some unnecessary blocking and a badge for no discernable reason, and I just hope like hell it has enough room underneath the pcb, otherwise it doesn't matter how many flex cuts and how flexible a material your plate and gasket is made of, it's just going to be typing on top of a foam dampener.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 24 July 2021, 15:35:20 »
Have to agree with previous feedback - the arrows need to be aligned with the rest of the board

I'm in the other camp here. I like separation between the arrow cluster and the rest of the board. I hope they keep it as-is.

Offline DerBonk

• I'm just this guy, you know.
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 03:02:24 »
Yeah, I also like the separated arrows. The blocking makes the board look more interesting to me and I also enjoy a cute badge. Looking forward to video of the first samples.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 03:22:22 »
It was answered before : as this is a keyboard driven by qmk / via, wireless connections is not possible (as these firmware do not handle them). Maybe on a next iteration without qmk / via

QMK can handle bluetooth connections fine with certain chips.
The battery life is just not really that great since QMKs battery management is kinda ass.
Just VIA won't work with bluetooth.

Offline keguira

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 10:41:55 »
QMK can handle bluetooth connections fine with certain chips.
The battery life is just not really that great since QMKs battery management is kinda ass.
Just VIA won't work with bluetooth.

Argh. Sorry for the wrong information

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 21:07:03 »
Looks promising imo. Digging the rotary encoder, though the way the badge sticks up out of the board is a bit strange to me. I didn't hate my experience with the GMMK Pro and am quite content with my board now that I'm done building in it, but I do hope this project has taken note to avoid making the same mistakes they did. I guess we'll see.

Offline hekt1k

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 21:33:28 »

I am interested in getting a hot swap board, and was going to get the GMMK Pro, but it just seems like they cut every corner with that one when it comes to QC.

I've owned a few Keychron boards and I'm just gonna say you better buckle up when it comes to QC  ;D

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 26 July 2021, 18:41:38 »

I've owned a few Keychron boards and I'm just gonna say you better buckle up when it comes to QC  ;D

Oh, this makes me a bit anxious. It couldn't be that bad, could it? :blank: