Author Topic: Wiring USB Switch to Mechanical Key Switch  (Read 27406 times)

Offline FKSSR

Wiring USB Switch to Mechanical Key Switch
« on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 12:12:32 »
Hello, all!

It's been SOOOOOoooooooo long since I posted here at GH.

However, I'm in need of some help.

I have a Rosewill USB Switch that I use to connect my keyboard and mouse to two computers. When I click the switch it comes with, it switches to the other computer, allowing me to seamlessly switch between computers with my same kb/m setup.

I want to replace the crappy switch that comes with the device to a mechanical key switch, if possible.

This is the inside of the Rosewill switch:
245701-0

Can anyone guide me to information on how I may be able to connect the two wires shown above to a mechanical key switch (i.e. wiring diagrams or info on where someone else may have done something similar with some other kind of switch)?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 June 2020, 12:14:24 by FKSSR »
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Wiring USB Switch to Mechanical Key Switch
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 14:02:06 »
Welcome back :)

That switch has two pins but you can solder them either side of the switch.  A keyboard switch also has two pins so one wire to each and you're good.  All a switch does is connect the two pins so doesn't matter which goes where.

This is assuming the switch is a Normally Open, I would be very surprised if it isn't but if you have a continuity tester test it - the two wires should only be connected when you press the switch.  If you don't have a tester worst case is when you connect the new switch it will keep swapping which is probably not healthy, so be ready to unplug it if you see that.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 July 2020, 04:01:32 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 14:33:03 »
Welcome back :)

That switch has two pins but you can solder them either side of the switch.  A keyboard switch also has two pins so one wire to each and you're good.  All a switch does is connect the two pins so doesn't matter which goes where.

This is assuming the switch is a Normally Open, I would be very surprised if it isn't but if you have a continuity tester test it - the two wires should only be connected when you press the switch.  If you don't have a tester worst case is when you connect the new switch it will keep swapping which is probably not healthy, so be ready to unplug itb unplug it if you see that.

Nice. That makes complete sense! I was hoping you'd say that. :D

The only thing I was concerned about is whether I needed a diode or something else in between the switch and wires, but I guess nothing like that is necessary?

I have a multimeter, so I will use that to try and test if it is normally open.

Thanks so much!!!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 16:52:43 »
Diodes are only needed when using a switch matrix so the controller knows which switches are pressed when you press more than one, no chance of that confusion here :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 19:07:44 »
Makes complete sense. Thank you!!

Offline CarnivorouSwarm

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 15:44:52 »
Hey OP, did you manage to make this work?

I have a USB switch that uses a remote that is very finnicky, and I'm looking into figuring out if it's possible to connect a novelkeys Big Switch to a USB switch, so I'd love to hear if you had any success with this.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 17:14:12 »
Hey OP, did you manage to make this work?

I have a USB switch that uses a remote that is very finnicky, and I'm looking into figuring out if it's possible to connect a novelkeys Big Switch to a USB switch, so I'd love to hear if you had any success with this.

Yes! I did exactly what suicidal_orange said - I just soldered the two wires to the two metal contacts at the bottom of the switch (one wire to one point and other wire to other point), and it has been working perfectly.

I've actually been thinking of wiring it to a Big Switch, too! :D I bought one but need to buy a base.

Offline EdwardA

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 23:11:38 »
I think soldering is a perfect idea!  ;)