Author Topic: A keyboard rookie says hello!  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Kilgore_t

A keyboard rookie says hello!
« on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 06:35:18 »
Hi,

I'm Alberto, writing for the sunny Barcelona. I'm a total beginner in this keyboard thing and this is briefly my story: After more than a decade of laptops I returned to having a desktop PC this past Chritmas. I started supercheap but for the last months I've been beefing my pc and setup till the past june when unavoidably I decided to buy a mechanical keyboard. Then I started to watch a lot of keyboard videos and channels to educate myself, only to ending buying a tenkeyless from fnatic becausa I was a little scared of 60%. However i was lost into the keyboard videos addiction and as watched more and more keyboards I was more and more unsatisfied with the ministreak I had, so I returned to amazon and got a second hand poker 2 instead.

I find the building and modding keyboard videos extremely satisfying and relaxing, and I think I will end building another one for myself sooner or later, so here I am after reading and listening geekhack is a great commynity where you have to be if are interested on mechanical keyboard. I hope my post isn't too long, but I'm wrting using mx blue and the sound is too much cool to stop tho.

Hi to everyone!
Keyboard Rookie

Offline funkmon

Re: A keyboard rookie says hello!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 23:29:48 »
Awesome! Do you prefer the 60% layout? I tend to not, but I've been experimenting over time here with how small of a keyboard I can reasonably use and not want to off myself.

I have figured I don't need the function keys, just one or two, and I don't need the nav cluster. I do need the number pad. But then again, I can just use an external number pad. But then again again, why would I do that if I can have it in the keyboard, you know?

Offline Kilgore_t

Re: A keyboard rookie says hello!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 01:30:12 »
I'm surprisingly ok with the 60% layout for now, but I'm starting to think that a 65% would be perfect for my next keyboard. However I want to mod a little my Poker 2 before buying any more keyboards, like changing the case, lubbing and stuff. I would also love to sold monochrome leds to it one day.

I've just bought a cleaning kit on amazon with keycap removal and it comes with o rubber rings for the noise. Do they really work? My keyboard is MX Blue and yeah it's noisy, I know that the rings won't remove the click clack (I love it) but it won't be to bad if the rings can atenuate the other noises of the keyboard.
Keyboard Rookie