Author Topic: Oh Yay, an old timey forum  (Read 1343 times)

Offline bkrownd

Oh Yay, an old timey forum
« on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 16:34:52 »
  Howdy!

Recently the lack of dedicated function keys on my nearly 20 year old Happy Hacking Lite2 USB sent me looking for a new keyboard, and I just discovered the "enthusiast" community.   I always appreciated the solid clickety Model M battleship versus the spawn of satan that is the mushy Dell "keyboard", but I never knew about all this rabid keyswitch worship, or even about custom keycap sets.  I used to do a lot of programming so a 60% keyboard format worked great for me, but in very recent years sadly I don't code as much and I've mostly used the keyboard for games and one of them uses the function keys a lot.  I enjoy clicky, but tactile is fine and probably what I'll go with for the most part. 

To replace the Happy Hacking on my home desk I got one of those Akko World Tour Tokyo keyboards (84 key), and got the Hello Kitty obsessed girlfriend the Akko Hello Kitty.  I was going to order a Ducky for work, but I started reading about keyswitches and ended up ordering a GMMK hotswappable TKL and a sampler of keyswitches to try.  (not arrived yet)  Although I'm fairly happy with the pretty Akko keyboard, unfortunately it has one dead key  :( so I have to go through the hassle of getting it replaced. 

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2020, 01:24:57 by bkrownd »

Offline bkrownd

Re: Oh Yay, an old timey forum
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 01:45:46 »
  I took a photo of my old favorite keyboard from 15 to 20 years ago, my old Focus FK7200.  It was VERY cheap, decently tactile for the price, and I LOVED the thumb trackball which I could easily use without removing my fingers from home row.  In 2007 I replaced it with the Happy Hacking Lite 2 above it.  I also had a few Maxi Switch M13 "model M" with Trackpoint at the time, but Trackpoint always fatigued my pointer finger too much to use daily.

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 November 2020, 01:55:10 by bkrownd »