Author Topic: [IC] Space65 R3  (Read 121070 times)

Offline JonasV

[IC] Space65 R3
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 06:58:23 »
Count me in!
But the screwless design seems pointless to me.
Nothing like having everything securely fastened with screws, as opposed to all sorts of plastic clips and edges that can break.

Looking forward to the GB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 February 2022, 07:02:23 by JonasV »

Offline max.clacks

Re: [IC] Space65 R3
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 09:48:26 »
Count me in!
But the screwless design seems pointless to me.
Nothing like having everything securely fastened with screws, as opposed to all sorts of plastic clips and edges that can break.

Looking forward to the GB

I can only imagine the design employs the "screwless" design we've come to know wherein the screws are simply hidden (typically under the rubber feet) to give the appearance of not having any screws.

Offline JonasV

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 09:51:03 »

ok that way

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 14:40:30 »
i have no intention of purchasing this... yet i might just do that

Offline simoncoulton

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 06:08:24 »
Consider 100% interested, missed R2, no way I'm missing this one too!

Offline Starius

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 20:50:33 »
Another +1 for Hotswap interest, here.   :thumb:

Offline Mr.Pudgington

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 21:16:17 »
Count me in! Super Hyped for this!!!

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 15:51:42 »
+1 for hotswap, I skipped the first 2 rounds because they were solder-only lol

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 07:48:21 »
imagione missing out on amazing boards because you didnt want to spend 10minutes into learning a usefull and easy skill like soldering. It isnt hard at all.

Offline Starius

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 10:32:02 »
imagione missing out on amazing boards because you didnt want to spend 10minutes into learning a usefull and easy skill like soldering. It isnt hard at all.

But it can be intimidating to someone who has never done it before, as well as another money sink into tools and materials. 
Also, never forget that for every IC or GB, it's someones very first one.   ;)

Offline Rumblethumps

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 21:16:56 »

I mean fair point, but personally I just don't have time or room for it  :confused:

Offline Masticccc

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 23:41:48 »
As people mentioned above already, but I want to elaborate more on this point as person only using hotswap boards till recently:
1. Budget: I plan to have 2-3 soldered keebs maximum, and the rest are hotswaps because I want to play around with switches. So I can just ask for a solder service for 2-3 times and still cheaper than spending money on all the tools (ofc I'm not using cheap tools on my 500$ keyboard lmao). Unless you buy like 10+ solder kits then yes, soldering by yourself should be more economical. But I (and many ppl) just want a few amount of keyboards, and the investment for soldering tools is just not worth.
2. Safety: What would you prefer, having a 500$ keyboard soldered by you after watching a 30-min video on how to soldering, or by a pro that solder hundreds of kits? I know solder is easy to learn, but there is a different between be able to solder vs be able to solder well. Even with customer service, they sometimes make mistakes too. I'm not even talking about buying a kit with desoldered pcb where the solder skill is even more important. With hotswap I just need to plug and play without worrying anything.
3. Convenience: Guess I don't need to say the advantages of hotswap over non-hotswap. And yes millmaxed is a thing, but then we will getting back to point 1 and 2, also switch compatibility is not that good.

In addition, I think lubing is the only skill worth learning when u join this hobby for everyone, from newbie to hobbyist. Cheaper tools, no electricity danger so no harm at all (unless you want to eat lube lol), no long-term consequences if u doing bad (just clean the overlubed switches). Soldering should be learned only when u really love the process to build the keyboard from scratch. For me, the building steps are just waste of time honestly, the thing I enjoy is the typing experience and keyboard itself. So yeah I just spend some bucks and let the pro do their job while I enjoy their product.

Offline Botty212

[IC] Space65 R3
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 04:57:48 »
As people mentioned above already, but I want to elaborate more on this point as person only using hotswap boards till recently:
1. Budget: I plan to have 2-3 soldered keebs maximum, and the rest are hotswaps because I want to play around with switches. So I can just ask for a solder service for 2-3 times and still cheaper than spending money on all the tools (ofc I'm not using cheap tools on my 500$ keyboard lmao). Unless you buy like 10+ solder kits then yes, soldering by yourself should be more economical. But I (and many ppl) just want a few amount of keyboards, and the investment for soldering tools is just not worth.
2. Safety: What would you prefer, having a 500$ keyboard soldered by you after watching a 30-min video on how to soldering, or by a pro that solder hundreds of kits? I know solder is easy to learn, but there is a different between be able to solder vs be able to solder well. Even with customer service, they sometimes make mistakes too. I'm not even talking about buying a kit with desoldered pcb where the solder skill is even more important. With hotswap I just need to plug and play without worrying anything.
3. Convenience: Guess I don't need to say the advantages of hotswap over non-hotswap. And yes millmaxed is a thing, but then we will getting back to point 1 and 2, also switch compatibility is not that good.

In addition, I think lubing is the only skill worth learning when u join this hobby for everyone, from newbie to hobbyist. Cheaper tools, no electricity danger so no harm at all (unless you want to eat lube lol), no long-term consequences if u doing bad (just clean the overlubed switches). Soldering should be learned only when u really love the process to build the keyboard from scratch. For me, the building steps are just waste of time honestly, the thing I enjoy is the typing experience and keyboard itself. So yeah I just spend some bucks and let the pro do their job while I enjoy their product.
1. Most people build the board and probably wont touch anymore for a long time.
2. learning soldering is as easy as cooking with a recipe it doesn't need to look as good as in the recipe it only needs to taste good (or in the our case work and make a connection between the switch pin and pcb)
3. solder joints don't need to look nice all it has to do is work and learning this takes only a 3min tutorial from YT. And if you follow the 3s rule (1s solder iron on the switchpin and pcb 1s adding solder 1s hold, take the iron away) you will get basically a perfect joint without risking anything unless you somehow magically **** it up by placing the iron on a anything other than the pin and for longer than 20s
4. the only annoying part is desoldering switches if you dont have practice or a desolder gun and most ppl probably dont change the switches as much as you might do.
5. better ask for professional to solder in millmax socket to make the solder pcb hs instead of just desoldering switches or soldering them in.

Edit. I only use a 30$ solder kit from amazon and form my experience I never had any issues whatsoever with it since I started soldering. Yes I even use this cheap a$$ kit to solder on my Higher end boards like Mr. Suit, Vega or Space 80 and yes I order if possible always an extra hs pcb but the lack of a hs option was never a reason for me at least to miss out on a board since I can always millmax it
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 February 2022, 05:15:56 by Botty212 »

Offline crzone

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 03:07:22 »
As already mentioned, Milmax sockets are expensive and hard to install. Now why does it have to be one or the other? Can't the GB have both hot-swap and solder PCBs?

I plan to add 0305 Milmax sockets to a Space80 PCB, but I really do not look forward to the experience, not to mention that each single (and you need two) 0305 Milmax is 5 Euro-cents more expensive than a Kailh hotswap socket.

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 10:26:39 »
As already mentioned, Milmax sockets are expensive and hard to install. Now why does it have to be one or the other? Can't the GB have both hot-swap and solder PCBs?

I plan to add 0305 Milmax sockets to a Space80 PCB, but I really do not look forward to the experience, not to mention that each single (and you need two) 0305 Milmax is 5 Euro-cents more expensive than a Kailh hotswap socket.
who are you reffering to? most likely not botty since he is only telling us that learning soldering isnt hard and that there is always a option to millmax it and therefore making the decision to miss out on GB's because they dont offer HS a bad one

Offline Yella Fella

• Edward Lui Cinematographer
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 11:05:44 »

5.   Translucent PCB (possibility for hotswap option) - anyone wants hotswap?

Yesssssss!

Offline crzone

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 14:44:30 »

who are you reffering to? most likely not botty since he is only telling us that learning soldering isnt hard and that there is always a option to millmax it and therefore making the decision to miss out on GB's because they dont offer HS a bad one
I have several Kailh hot-swap KBs, sadly only one with 5 pin support. Just saying that after soldering several boards, Milmaxing a Space65 R2 board and making preparations to Milmax a Space80 board I really wish GBs would come with a hot-swap option as it is both cheaper and easier to install, not to mention that the switches are left intact and can be reused. If you want big Enter or some split bottom row that either requires rotated sockets or a solder PCB, sure, go for the solder PCB. All I am asking is to leave the hot-swap PCB option open.

Offline b-ko

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:43:06 »
count me in ;)

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 14:58:24 »
I’m going to agree on the hotswap PCBs, I have millmaxed a few PCBs and I have bricked a few trying to do it as well. I always buy 1 hotswap and 1 solder so that I can experiment with plates and mods to my heart’s desire and then solder in some beautiful switches

Offline EndTheFed

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 15:17:47 »
Same here. I’ve had 4 solder boards bricked one of them installing Mill Max sockets. I’m down for a hotswap option.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #170 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 16:37:36 »
in for both pcb versions.

Offline Tsenohebot

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 23 February 2022, 19:20:19 »
 ;D Yesssss! To hotswap please I love this board but don't have anywhere to sit and solder this it would be very highly appreciated!

Offline Botty212

[IC] Space65 R3
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 06:25:05 »

I have several Kailh hot-swap KBs, sadly only one with 5 pin support. Just saying that after soldering several boards, Milmaxing a Space65 R2 board and making preparations to Milmax a Space80 board I really wish GBs would come with a hot-swap option as it is both cheaper and easier to install, not to mention that the switches are left intact and can be reused. If you want big Enter or some split bottom row that either requires rotated sockets or a solder PCB, sure, go for the solder PCB. All I am asking is to leave the hot-swap PCB option open.
Noone said that HS shouldn't be offered. I only said that it is stupid to miss out on GB's because they dont offer HS as a option.

Offline malignant narcissism

• sus
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 10:35:46 »
Hotswap would be great! I do agree that soldering is easy enough but not everyone has the time or patience for that. Besides, it's terrifying taking a flaming metal rod to your new [enter appropriate price] dollar keyboard. 

I'm just excited to be here. Can't wait for round 3!
oh hi mark

Offline ImaSpacePotato

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 00:27:48 »
Looking through the Discord, it looks like E-yellow wasn't an option for the China GB.

Well, my piece of feedback is going to be:

Please bring back the E-Yellow.
The prior runs looked absolutely stunning in that colorway, and it's a shame to see it not returning.

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 06:43:18 »
Looking through the Discord, it looks like E-yellow wasn't an option for the China GB.

Well, my piece of feedback is going to be:

Please bring back the E-Yellow.
The prior runs looked absolutely stunning in that colorway, and it's a shame to see it not returning.
Then wait for a extremly unlikely R4 or get R2 aftermarket since this is probably the last run of this board

Offline F_9152

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 09:02:21 »
You can count me in :thumb: I'm interested in hotswap PCB as well! Can't wait for the release of R3.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 February 2022, 09:13:21 by F_9152 »

Offline TheReilOatmeil

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 26 February 2022, 16:11:54 »
i would love for their to be a hotswap option.

i missed out on r1 and i missed r2 by a day so i def will be grabbing one this time around!

Offline NutellaCrepe

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 13:46:14 »
Count me in!

I regret missing the R2. Would love a hotswap in Soya colorway with an extra soldered PCB + plate on the side. Any chance the soldered PCB will have contacts for adding LEDs like the old one?

Offline SmoothWD40

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 07:02:06 »
Got into the hobby recently and quickly got obsessed with this board so hugely interested in R3 GB and having a hotswap option would be fantastic!
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2022, 07:03:43 by SmoothWD40 »

Offline shadow032

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 07 March 2022, 17:24:32 »
Count me in! This would be my first gb, im excited :)

Offline LaRoche

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 01:45:27 »
I would like to be counted in as well  :-X

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 03:54:35 »
yeah make it happen! I'd buy each type of pcb honestly lol

Offline santela

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 06:56:13 »
The biggest advantage of hotswap for me is that I can recycle switches I spent hour lubing when I get bored of a board. So much more convenient than desoldering.

Offline TheStig

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 17:53:05 »
Count me in - 100% buy

Offline James_fourth

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 18:48:26 »
Hopefully, the third time‘s a charm. I haven’t managed to participate in the last two group buys, so I am intent on making it happen with r3!

Offline 7Pettay7

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 09 March 2022, 22:14:57 »
Missed other GBs of the Space65 but have absolutely loved the design of these and I would love to pick one up!

Definitely interested in the hotswap PCB too!

Offline eightbitraptor

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 17:00:00 »
Interested in this. +1 for WKL, -1 for hotswap.

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 10 March 2022, 21:25:03 »
Honestly, more of a fan of the R1 aesthetics over the CyberVoyager. The weight design with the faux screws just feels a bit... tacky to me. To each their own I guess, was really hoping this might follow R1 aesthetics more closely

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 14 March 2022, 19:46:53 »
Is there a date for this GB yet? Got into the hobby too late to get either of the previous rounds and super excited to be a part of R3!

I also cast a vote for a hotswap pcb as it’s just much more practical for me due to having very little time to do things like soldering a board (any solderable boards I have remain unbuilt for that main reason).
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Keeblet_257

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 11:57:14 »
Is there a date for this GB yet? Got into the hobby too late to get either of the previous rounds and super excited to be a part of R3!

I also cast a vote for a hotswap pcb as it’s just much more practical for me due to having very little time to do things like soldering a board (any solderable boards I have remain unbuilt for that main reason).
soldering takes like 2s per switch and you dont have time for that? Better dont join GBs then

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2022, 12:00:37 by Keeblet_257 »

Offline jiminojimi

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 16:47:00 »

soldering takes like 2s per switch and you dont have time for that? Better dont join GBs then

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

That's a big understatement. How much time does it take to completely finish soldering a board?

You need to prep, clear the desk, set up the board, solder it, then test each switch then put the whole thing together again, pack up all equipment.  Thats assuming it's all working, if it doesn't work you're desoldering.

With hotswap, the preping is halved. You don't need to get out the soldering tools.

You're probably going to say ... yeah I have my soldering tools ready so I don't need to prep.

That's cool. But there are people with families, dogs, cats, kids ... and you wouldn't want soldering tools lying around.

... hence Hotswap.

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 17:06:45 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

or you can stop moaning about things that have no influence on you. dude is ok with hotswap and hotswap is being offered, what even is your problem?

Offline jiminojimi

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 15 March 2022, 19:18:41 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

or you can stop moaning about things that have no influence on you. dude is ok with hotswap and hotswap is being offered, what even is your problem?

Yeah it's like the conservatives that claim gay marriage affects their straight marriage, or vegetarians that want Mcdonalds to offer vegetarian food even though they'll never show up to Mcdonalds.

If they offer hotswap, why stop it when it doesn't affect those that don't want hotswap?

Offline Oni74

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 01:25:23 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

I don't understand your attempt at shaming those who don't want to wield a soldering iron like a trained Jedi with a  light saber. The hobby is about keyboards, not a soldering club. Pick your flavor of pcb and let others do the same. Let's enjoy the keyboard, not the headache inducing smell of lead in the air yeah?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline whyjay03

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 02:54:47 »
WOW I'm super excited that I didn't miss this...!
hope the GB is coming soon.
another vote for hotswap!
think the design is fine with screws as well.

Offline Botty212

« Reply #196 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 04:07:51 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

That's a big understatement. How much time does it take to completely finish soldering a board?

You need to prep, clear the desk, set up the board, solder it, then test each switch then put the whole thing together again, pack up all equipment.  Thats assuming it's all working, if it doesn't work you're desoldering.

With hotswap, the preping is halved. You don't need to get out the soldering tools.

You're probably going to say ... yeah I have my soldering tools ready so I don't need to prep.

That's cool. But there are people with families, dogs, cats, kids ... and you wouldn't want soldering tools lying around.

... hence Hotswap.
I agree with your point that repping takes some time (5-10 minutes).
As for soldering a board it takes around 20-30 minutes in average for a tkl, at least for me. Yes I take into consideration that some switches may be defect and need desoldering.
add in 2-5 minutes for desoldering and you have build it completely. So depending on the situation it can take from 27-45minutes.

while building a hotswap board may not take 5-10 minutes for prepping youd still need to take apart the board, put in the switches, hope not to bend pins, which would result in straighening the pin with tweezers and put the board together.
resulting in around 20 minutes of build time.

thats why I said that what I said. since it only save you like half an hour

Offline Botty212

« Reply #197 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 04:10:52 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

soldering take like 45minutes while hs take around 20 minutes. I assumed that if someone is too bussy to take like 30min more for a  build he wont be able to wait several months for a board which lead to me telling him not to join GB's

Offline Botty212

« Reply #198 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 04:16:08 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

Yeah it's like the conservatives that claim gay marriage affects their straight marriage, or vegetarians that want Mcdonalds to offer vegetarian food even though they'll never show up to Mcdonalds.

If they offer hotswap, why stop it when it doesn't affect those that don't want hotswap?
first of all what tf are are saying in the first half
second I am not trying to prevent him from getting hs. I am recommending him not to join GB's since he seems to be to bussy to take 30 minutes more for a solder board, compared to a hs one.
Which lead to me thinking that he is a impatient person and to me saying what I said.

Offline Botty212

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 16 March 2022, 04:25:48 »

Edit.
meant 2s per switch pin

I don't understand your attempt at shaming those who don't want to wield a soldering iron like a trained Jedi with a  light saber. The hobby is about keyboards, not a soldering club. Pick your flavor of pcb and let others do the same. Let's enjoy the keyboard, not the headache inducing smell of lead in the air yeah?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
you will never get my "attempt" to shame him for going the hs route, since it never was my intention to do so and soldering doesnt need some jedi like power to do so.
building a solder board only takes like 20-30 minutes more compared to hs.
Since he said that he has a lot of solder boards laying around unbuild, I assumed that he is a very imaptient person, which lead to me telling him not to join GB's since they always tend to take longer than what the manufacturer/brand estimates.

I assumed stuff based on his information and tried to prevent him from getting stressed/annoyed by delays which comes with GB's.
I admit that I should have chosen my words better to prevent confusion and maybe explained why I said what I said.