Author Topic: [IC]René 65 - A typewriter inspired 65% keyboard [September 2022 Update]  (Read 16129 times)

Offline Rationalkeys

September 2022 Update

Slow and steady wins the race  ^-^
Check out these photos of our latest prototype and let us know what you think!

March 2022 Update

Our first prototype is ready, assembles perfectly and it is such a great feeling that our vision is becoming materialized. Still, our standards and level of diligence is high and we are working on improving things in many aspects to reach 100% satisfaction before proceeding

Please check below and let us know about what you think.

CNC machining first prototype.
Bead blasting
PCB prototype is manufactured and on the way for tests.
Plate prototypes are being manufactured with certain samples at hand.

Current near-term roadmap

Perfecting manufacturing processes.
Finalizing color options and producing an anodized sample.

Please follow us on Instagram to catch up with the developments on a day to day basis. Thanks for your continuing support!

Case before bead blasting

René 65
65% Keyboard by Rationalkeys

CONTENTS

1. Introduction
2. At a glance
3. Details
-Design
-Case
-Mount Type
-PCB
-Manufacturing
4. Sketchfab
5. Sales
6. Current Roadmap
7. Layouts/Specifications
8. IC Form
9. Follow us

1. Introduction

We are three friends—an architect, a lawyer and a jeweler—who came together to build a product and a company that we believe in. We are calling our first keyboard kit, René, and our company, Rationalkeys, to evoke one of the human mind’s most important faculties: rationality.

René is inspired by philosophical and architectural rationalism: its symmetrical, typewriter form combines geometrically-defined shapes in ideal proportions. We had a blast designing it.

At this stage, we have completed our first official production design and are getting ready to produce the first prototype.

Here are the basic specs:

2. At a glance

Case designed in-house by Rationalkeys.
CNC Machined Aluminum 6063.
8-degree typing angle. The rear weight may be provided in different options to change the typing angle.
10-point gasket mount system.
Left side USB-C port.
PCB designed by community member and PCB designer, 4pplet.
Hot-swap and solderable options with flex cuts on solderable version.
Black solder mask.
Aluminum, brass, polycarbonate plate materials.

3. Details

Design

René takes inspiration from typewriters with its rear weight, which also provides the typing angle. Notice the lines on the rear side which are reminiscent of the type bars on a typewriter.

Case

The case is composed of three main customizable parts: the main case, the top frame and the rear weight. The three parts of the case can be picked in different colors/materials for a customized look.

[We are also considering an option where we only use the natural colors provided of the materials themselves, such as brass, copper and aluminum only, and skip the anodized colors at this run. This might give a more industrialized feel.]

Each main part of the case will be available in different materials. For the first run, we will likely go with copper, anodized aluminum in different color options, and steel, and in future runs we plan on introducing different material types for certain parts, such as acrylic or polycarbonate.

Mount Type

Gasket-mounted. The case will also feature a dampening foam between the plate and the PCB, and also a layer of foam under the PCB.

PCB

PCB will be a QMK and VIA compatible solderable/hot-swap 65%, designed by 4pplet with a daughterboard supporting USB-C input. (After receiving the first prototype of the PCB, we decided to add these features to accommodate some major design changes in our case design and some extra functionality.)

Manufacturing

Manufacturing will be fully in Istanbul, Turkey where Rationalkeys is based. We have secured our manufacturing run through expert, high-end factories to ensure that our team is always close and we have the ability to supervise the full production process in a hands-on way. We will be able to intervene and make changes immediately if and when needed during the manufacturing phase. We think this is a unique feature of our company, where others have to manage their manufacturing at a distance.

4. Sketchfab

Click the link below to view and interact with the model on Sketchfab 3d platform.

Exterior:
Sketchfab Exterior

Interior:
Sketchfab Interior

5. Sales

Although the details are yet to be confirmed, we are planning to run a group buy of 250-300 units FCFS. Price to be determined.

6. Current roadmap

Make the first prototype case and PCB in February 2022.
Collect feedback with the interest check and incorporate necessary adjustments/changes.

7. Layouts/Specifications

Hotswap PCB layout:

Solderable PCB layouts:

Dimensions: 354,5 x 178.5 x 24.5 mm
Weight: ≈3.5 kg
Price: To be announced
Sale method: To be announced

8. IC Form

IC Form

9. Follow us

Please join our Discord and follow our Instagram for updates and to reach out to us with any comments or questions. We want to hear from you!

Discord: https://discord.gg/Hwj5juQ8EC
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rationalkeys/
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 September 2022, 06:08:42 by Rationalkeys »

Offline DaaDaa

Re: [IC] René 65 - A typewriter inspired 65% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 16:53:24 »
lol thanks for the short IC. I think the gray/silver would look great with the upcoming brutalist keycap set.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline kapowaz

• kapowaz industries
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 19:14:03 »

Offline spikedsynapse

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 19:28:06 »
this is really cool.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 22:38:33 »
To me, that design reminds me of industrial design from the 1990's more than a typewriter. More like a desktop computer from Sony VAIO or Sun Microsystems. And that's not a bad thing!

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 23:48:41 »
Something to keep in mind, with that bottom design you're sacrificing stability on corners

Offline BloremBipsum

• Yes, I am a Dumb Ass Boi
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 00:12:01 »
A very intriguing design and it definitely looks great! GLWIC :thumb:

Offline Rationalkeys

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 13:24:59 »
A very intriguing design and it definitely looks great! GLWIC :thumb:

Thank you for the encouraging comment.  :D

Something to keep in mind, with that bottom design you're sacrificing stability on corners

Yes, this was a concern for us as well and we worked hard on the proportions to be balanced on the corners to acquire stability. Will update with a video of the 3d printed mock-up to address this concern.

To me, that design reminds me of industrial design from the 1990's more than a typewriter. More like a desktop computer from Sony VAIO or Sun Microsystems. And that's not a bad thing!

Yes, I can see that after a google search. Thank you for improving the way we see the design!

this is really cool.

It feels really great to read this. :cool:

Show Image

Happy man, happy designer.   

lol thanks for the short IC. I think the gray/silver would look great with the upcoming brutalist keycap set.

Yes, decided to keep it very short. Maybe a little too short :) Brutalist sure would boost the concrete, industrial look. Thank you!

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 January 2022, 13:39:52 »
Very cool! Looking forward, glwic!

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 16 January 2022, 10:41:11 »
This is a really neat idea. A bit disappointed it's 65%, but nonetheless I do have a bit of a guilty pleasure for the look of this thing. GLWIC!

Offline Rationalkeys

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 11:03:35 »
This is a really neat idea. A bit disappointed it's 65%, but nonetheless I do have a bit of a guilty pleasure for the look of this thing. GLWIC!

Thank you for the feedback. We are happy it caught your eye.

Very cool! Looking forward, glwic!

Great, thank you!  :)

Offline LMarci

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 13:43:04 »
Cursed

Offline keebsalad

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 05:22:40 »
I'm out of words... this is such a gorgeous keyboard! that grey coloway looks stunnig

Offline Rationalkeys

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 March 2022, 04:06:39 »
I'm out of words... this is such a gorgeous keyboard! that grey coloway looks stunnig

Thank you so much. This is the colorway we are focusing on the most  :)

Offline Rationalkeys

Re: [IC]René 65 - A typewriter inspired 65% keyboard [March 2022 Update]
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 September 2022, 06:08:08 »
We just posted an update. Please check the first post in the thread and let us know what you think.

Offline Starius

Re: [IC]René 65 - A typewriter inspired 65% keyboard [September 2022 Update]
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 19:58:09 »
I'm still liking what I'm seeing!  :thumb:

Offline Rationalkeys

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 09:07:19 »
Hello everyone. This project will be waiting a little longer. We decided to hold off this design and prototype. To be honest after producing the prototypes we don't believe the anodizing is where we want it to be. We wanted to solve this problem and tried working with many factories (4 to be exact) in Turkey to get the blasting and anodizing right. We are still working with our new anodizer to go above what seems to be the industry standard here. It is a process and we really don't want to open a GB and make people wait when we are trying to figure things out. When we get it right, we will let everyone know. René is our passion project and we will try everything to see it on a proud owner's desk.

While we are working on René, we had quite a bit of time to get our cnc manufacturing, raw material sourcing, logistics in order. Also, we had the time to work on new designs and experiment on the prototypes with different finishes supporting 2k Acrylic Paint. We will be opening an IC for this new case soon. GB for this new design will follow shortly after.

Thanks everyone for the support and interest.

Offline IconlabsOfficial

• Where makers make art!
    • Iconlabs
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 01:52:09 »
Bulky boi. A different color scheme for the case may be my taste  :p

Offline crookey

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 October 2022, 10:34:32 »
Cool and heavy design. Love it.

Offline Rationalkeys

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 09:23:33 »
Bulky boi. A different color scheme for the case may be my taste  :p

Thank you! This project is on pause for a little while.