Author Topic: Fermentation Containers  (Read 8100 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Fermentation Containers
« on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 15:34:37 »
They're crazy expensive.  tiny one is $38

Only millionaires can afford to eats dat sauerkraut

What do you guys use ?

Updat_
My Build thus far.... (using on hand containers)   Thoughtz ?

Having trouble keeping the cabbage under the Juice, because I don't have weights that can fit in there that's wide enough.

I'm thinking this is probably good enough because the carbon dioxide should displace enough oxygen, I just have to release it here/there slightly.  Do I even need the plastic wrap, without it, I don't have to release everyday, it'll do it on its own no ?

Yellow, plastic wrap

Red, Cap forms water seal, edge is under water.

Dotted line, rubber band

Basement temperature: 70 F, 21 C

286829-0

Online kajahtaa

Re: Fermentation Containers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 15:45:47 »
Dad always used glass. Don't clamp down the lid unless you enjoy glass.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 16:21:39 »
You don't need fancy stuff. People did this for millennia before refrigeration (and of course had no idea about microbes). Centuries ago they filled up a barrel with whole heads of cabbage and topped it up with salt water, then waited a few months.

I use glass casseroles (so I can see the progress of my project) and turning the tops upside-down is ideal for both weighting and sealing during fermentation (put it on a pan in case it bubbles out). If you can find glass tops with minimal doming that is preferable.

After a week I just put it in regular jars in the refrigerator (not fully tightened).
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 17:46:33 »
You don't need some fancy container. Use Ball glass jars like people have been using for 200 years dude.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 08:36:37 »
Updat_

My Build thus far.... (using on hand containers)   Thoughtz ?

Having trouble keeping the cabbage under the Juice, because I don't have weights that can fit in there that's wide enough.

I'm thinking this is probably good enough because the carbon dioxide should displace enough oxygen, I just have to release it here/there slightly.  Do I even need the plastic wrap, without it, I don't have to release everyday, it'll do it on its own no ?

Yellow, plastic wrap

Red, Cap forms water seal, edge is under water.

Dotted line, rubber band

Basement temperature: 70 F, 21 C

286827-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 14:17:38 »
Why not use a cylinder without a "neck"?

Using Pyrex casseroles with their lids upside-down works spectacularly well. If I need more weight than the lid itself, I can set a glass of water on top. I have been doing it that way for years and could not even conceive of a system that works better. No doubt or waste, minimal maintenance, extremely easy clean-up, plus you can watch it easily, especially on top where the bubbles and problems might form.

BTW - I have quite a few of them in various sizes, so I never run out of room and can keep downsizing if necessary if the volume decreases significantly (but that is seldom necessary, after brining and squeezing they are usually very close to final volume for the initial fermentation after 24 hours).

This is the absolute Bible of fermentation and cannot be recommended highly enough :
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30006171-wild-fermentation
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 14:21:43 »
trying to reduce the diffusion of oxygen, because at the moment, I don't have weights.

I might try it another way in the next batch when the cucumbers come in.

this one's already in there, trying to figure out if the barrier is working correctly etc,

I figure over time, the CO_2 should displace oxygen, even though I have to manually vent.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 16:59:28 »

I don't have weights.

Never tried it myself, there are people who use baggies full of marbles (or whatever) and water to weight the top of the vegetables and conform to the container.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 18:39:49 »
Saw the bags on youtube as well,  slightly hesitant because plastic bag, acidic environment, full contact for 3 weeks ... hrrrm.....

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 20:30:52 »
Next time have your gear on hand and clean before you start. Duh

And I presume that your instructions said to use distilled or filtered water. Tap water has roughly the same amount of disinfectant as swimming pool water.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 21:07:06 »
Internet is in and out on tap water, many user report identify as "lazy" but "never failed, works the same"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 21:13:02 »
Surprised that TP4 doesn't have a water filter.
A pour-through with replaceable charcoal filter is quite cheap and gets almost all of the caustic stuff out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 21:18:16 »
Thought about getting ReverseOsmosis water for a long time,  But Tp4 doesn't trust those filter companies.  You have all these filters, which run in plastic casings, and fixtures,  These are a branch of UN_Regulated plastics and manufacturing processes vs Municipal pipes (which have plastic lining, but regulated and known).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 07:14:23 »
You don't have to make everything expensive and complicated.

Sometimes very simple and cheap solutions are entirely adequate.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 13:19:34 »
Over 99% of the bacteria in the gut are anaerobes (wikipedia)...   Hrrrrm.......... /interesting.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 14:12:40 »

99% of the bacteria in the gut are anaerobes

That is why the vegetables need to stay under water during fermentation. If they get above the water line the airborne beasties are not so pleasant.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 19:39:51 »
Taste test just now, WOW, it's already extremely sour, more so than the store_bought, must've done it right, smells perfect, clean, refreshing.

Ate a fist size amount with rice just now,  If Tp4 does not report within an hour, he is ded.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 19:41:43 »
Send me some pickled red onions, tp!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 19:44:35 »
Send me some pickled red onions, tp!

This is incredibly easy NT, it's so fast too, didn't think it would mature this quickly. There's no way literate hughmahns such as ourselves could screw this up.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 21:09:34 »
/Alive,   feel great... no stomach ache,

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 21:18:13 »

didn't think it would mature this quickly.

I like it younger rather than older, usually start tasting after 2-3 days and eating portions after 5-7 days.

Of course there are people who say that 3 weeks is not long enough.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 22:14:44 »
what happens at 3 weeks ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 June 2022, 22:41:15 »

what happens at 3 weeks ?

3 weeks, 3 months, whatever. The process peaks and then has a long tail.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 23:27:45 »
Batch 2 underway.

in 4 separate containers.

3000g sauerkraut

850g yellow onion

700g cauliflower

600g celery

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 06:40:02 »
I have never used cauliflower or celery, I lean towards root vegetables like daikon and carrots.

Peppers are good, both bell and hot.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 07:21:51 »
it's prolly fooooy, but Tp4 has slept extra well, and felt more alert each morning. Anaerobz p0wr ?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 09:23:07 »
Jars, dude, jars.

Polish cuisine is famous from those fermented stuff, cabbage, cucumbers, etc
We use jars.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 14:06:46 »
/shower thought, 

so..... if we let the "bacteria" ferment. These natural bacteriae that are FROM the earth systems, do this in a "complex" and "synergistic" way. This process is then essentially Transplanted "INTO" our Gut Microbiome when we eat it.   

It's like importing labor + expertise into our stomach corporation, the kind and organization of which may have died/disrupted in the many bouts of antibiotic regimens everyone gets throughout life.

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 15:42:10 »
/shower thought, 

so..... if we let the "bacteria" ferment. These natural bacteriae that are FROM the earth systems, do this in a "complex" and "synergistic" way. This process is then essentially Transplanted "INTO" our Gut Microbiome when we eat it.   

It's like importing labor + expertise into our stomach corporation, the kind and organization of which may have died/disrupted in the many bouts of antibiotic regimens everyone gets throughout life.

Show Image

Yeah, I guess in theory you are bringing "support" into your stomache  :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 18:22:53 »
TP, you're one of the only reasons I like to keep popping onto GH once in awhile. Also Fohat's casserole dish style made me want to try that sometime.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 18:28:55 »
TP, you're one of the only reasons I like to keep popping onto GH once in awhile. Also Fohat's casserole dish style made me want to try that sometime.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 15:08:06 »
Fresh chopped cilantro + sauerkraut    w/ h0t r1ce. 

(antioxidant + anaerobez) ^ Max  ,

the only thing left now is for Tp4 to learn kungfu + buddism and become a shaolin monk.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 23:42:24 »
mildly concerned Tp4 is eating way too much salt, Mildly...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 19:35:05 »
Thinking bout getn' a Cold Press Juicer.  It's extremely physically intensive to beat up the cabbage by hand to extract enough Juice for Cover.

Thoughts ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 10:30:30 »
A spoonful of peanut butter + kraut + noodles...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 June 2022, 09:41:15 »
According to this diagram the bacterial taxonomy is roughly complete at 14 days.  what happens slightly earlier or later is an interplay on taste that functions independently of the generally accepted "done_ness" of the ferment.

their setup was 21 C (considered a high temperature ferment vs 18c in more traditional industrial processes), @ 2.25% salinity,

_ overall hightemp vs lowtemp is a matter of cultural momentum, there's a difference but in the realm of subjectivity.

probably shouldn't eat it before 4-5 days though, because we see at day 2, there's still quite alot of Enterobacteriaceae, same (family) as salmonella, etc.

288115-0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 June 2022, 11:30:57 »
Opened the cauliflower just now, woah..  Extreme sour, more than the previous Kraut batch,  it's fermented for ~1.5 weeks longer.  Eye squinting_ly so.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 June 2022, 15:13:08 »

Thinking bout getn' a Cold Press Juicer.

I love juice but have only ever used spinning grinder/extractor style. For me the huge restraint is the cleaning process, which is a large pain in the arse.

Of the ones I have owned (all <$100) the Jack LaLanne does the best job of juicing but is harder to clean. The Juiceman 2 does an acceptable job and since it is easier to clean that is what I use most often.

When I want the entire vegetable reduced to pulp, I give them a minute in my blender - I splurged hugely a couple of years ago and bought a Bendtec.

Offline phinix

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 03:16:00 »
Thinking bout getn' a Cold Press Juicer.  It's extremely physically intensive to beat up the cabbage by hand to extract enough Juice for Cover.

Thoughts ?

Again, do it Polish old style - you step on it :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 07:43:13 »

old style - you step on it

Yum, yum !

Offline phinix

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 10:48:08 »

old style - you step on it

Yum, yum !

Back in the days, in villages, they would pick young girls to do it.
Obviously, they would wash their feet first.

I bet nobody would object, if these girls would do it...

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2022, 10:55:14 by phinix »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 11:29:43 »

Show Image
Show Image

well that's that, everyone pack your bags, we're going to poland. I hurd they also have healthcare.

Offline phinix

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 15:07:55 »

Show Image
Show Image

well that's that, everyone pack your bags, we're going to poland. I hurd they also have healthcare.

Well, girls are beautiful, but healthcare has huge queues ;)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 28 June 2022, 19:06:31 »
trying ferment 50% ginger + 50% cabbage.  We'll see , might die.

Offline phinix

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 03:13:14 »
trying ferment 50% ginger + 50% cabbage.  We'll see , might die.

I would personally go less ginger, but if you like that, its cool :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 29 June 2022, 14:05:14 »
opened up the full 21 day kraut.  wow,  eye squintingly sour @ max...

This batch was built without any added water via extensive mashing.

very concentrated flavor

Offline phinix

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 02:46:06 »
opened up the full 21 day kraut.  wow,  eye squintingly sour @ max...

This batch was built without any added water via extensive mashing.

very concentrated flavor

Now add some grinded carrots, an apple, black pepper, sugar and you have yourself a nice polish sauerkraut salad