Author Topic: Hola! from Mexico  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Axollott

Hola! from Mexico
« on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 18:14:48 »
Hello everybody! I love these forums and decided to register instead of just peeping around. I just jumped on the MK bandwagon with a Corsair K70 with Cherry Reds after having a lot of pain in my hands and arms (RSI) so i decided to make the investment, i use OSX and most of the blinky light FX stuff don't work but i don't mind, i'm ok with the static backlight. After some weeks of use i'm starting to think i should have bought a tenkeyless KB just for the ergonomics, but having a standing desk (just standing, i used some of my dad's technicians to put it together) i can move sideways to have a better typing/mousing position. I also use an Anker vertical ergo mouse which i plan to mod with one of the guides provided here, that's what originally made me find this forum. I hope this is the beginning of a learning journey with lots of friendly encounters. Let's keep the lolz up. Greetings from the land of the soft tortilla tacos.  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2015, 19:42:05 by Axollott »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hola! from Mexico
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 00:02:27 »
Hello there and welcome to Geekhack! There is lots to learn here so you came to the right place. :)

Offline Axollott

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 03:46:55 »
Thank You Byker :thumb:

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 13:00:39 »
Hola! Welcome to geekhack.

GH is definitely a place where people are always hungry to learn and spend more. Hit me up if you need anything. :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:39:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

A TKL board will certainly help by allowing you to have the mouse closer to the keyboard, and thus not spread your arms out too far.  A 60% board goes a little bit further too.

Or some prefer the Ergo Dox, which is a keyboard in two separate halves that you can position exactly to suit yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Axollott

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 April 2015, 15:40:09 »
Hola! Welcome to geekhack.

GH is definitely a place where people are always hungry to learn and spend more. Hit me up if you need anything. :thumb:

Thank You LXXXIX

Welcome to Geekhack!

A TKL board will certainly help by allowing you to have the mouse closer to the keyboard, and thus not spread your arms out too far.  A 60% board goes a little bit further too.

Or some prefer the Ergo Dox, which is a keyboard in two separate halves that you can position exactly to suit yourself.

Thanks Rowdy. I was originally going to buy a kinesis advantage, i was having a lot of pain but then i found some videos by Edna Golandsky, a pianist that teaches the Dorothy Taubman approach and i noticed i had a terrible typing technique, i had my Macbook on top of the standing desk and i was typing with the wrists over the border of the laptop. The horror... The horror... After checking her Healthy Typing website, she encouraged avoiding the ergo keyboards and changing the personal typing technique, i still need to buy the dvd but with the little things i could learn watching the free info, her short vids on youtube and a docu about Dorothy Taubman available also on youtube  i made some changes, got this keyboard (with Cherry REDs, very soft keys but you have to be careful with the typing, mistakes are still common for me) and now i think i'm typing pain free. Now i need to fix this Anker vertical ergo mouse because the switches are really stiff. I had to change my mousing technique also because my other mouse (Logitech Anywhere MX) is very small, so i tended to have bad hand positioning on it. I still use it for gaming but i may have to find a better option for my hand. The sensor and the switches in the Logitech's are awesome. Tho it's the second one i have, the frist one was warranty replaced because of that seemingly unavoidable double clicking problem. But Logitech's costumer support was prime.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 06:06:14 »
Thanks Rowdy. I was originally going to buy a kinesis advantage, i was having a lot of pain but then i found some videos by Edna Golandsky, a pianist that teaches the Dorothy Taubman approach and i noticed i had a terrible typing technique, i had my Macbook on top of the standing desk and i was typing with the wrists over the border of the laptop. The horror... The horror... After checking her Healthy Typing website, she encouraged avoiding the ergo keyboards and changing the personal typing technique, i still need to buy the dvd but with the little things i could learn watching the free info, her short vids on youtube and a docu about Dorothy Taubman available also on youtube  i made some changes, got this keyboard (with Cherry REDs, very soft keys but you have to be careful with the typing, mistakes are still common for me) and now i think i'm typing pain free. Now i need to fix this Anker vertical ergo mouse because the switches are really stiff. I had to change my mousing technique also because my other mouse (Logitech Anywhere MX) is very small, so i tended to have bad hand positioning on it. I still use it for gaming but i may have to find a better option for my hand. The sensor and the switches in the Logitech's are awesome. Tho it's the second one i have, the frist one was warranty replaced because of that seemingly unavoidable double clicking problem. But Logitech's costumer support was prime.

I know almost nothing about pianos :p but it is good that you have found a relatively inexpensive solution to your problem so quickly!

Some people spend huge amounts of money on all sorts of remedies, sometimes to no avail.

But you have a solution that works for you, and that's great :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Axollott

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2015, 20:51:08 »
It seems technique is what most of us has wrong. And sometimes we do have an appropriate old school technique but that old method is detrimental to the body. Then, most people prefer to buy something to feel better than making changes in their behaviour. Big pharma companies know this.