Author Topic: ayyy  (Read 1436 times)

Offline windows446

ayyy
« on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:32:46 »
Hi guys. I'm Nate.

I discovered GeekHack about a year ago when browsing around the web looking for Model M information. I figured I'd join the community.

I've owned 3 Model Ms (1x Ambra branded Model M sold off to a collector in Germany, 1x 1391401, 1x 52G9700), a CM Quickfire Pro with MX Browns, a K70 with MX Blues (that got returned within the same week), and a Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 with Razer Greens.

As the trend appears to be with me, it's a new year, so I'm looking for a new keyboard. I'm eyeing the Noppoo Choc Mini as my next board.

Offline slickmamba

Re: ayyy
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:10:25 »
Welcome!  The Choc mini is a nice board, I had one a while ago, but it has a pretty high failure rate within a year.  It will double type, not register keys, etc. after a while. 
Hi :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:18:08 »
LAMAO
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:12:50 »
As the trend appears to be with me, it's a new year, so I'm looking for a new keyboard. I'm eyeing the Noppoo Choc Mini as my next board.

Greetings and welcome to Geekhack   ;D

If you're still looking for a Choc Mini, I have a second generation model with Cherry mx reds that is brand new
It is this exact model: http://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-Switches/dp/B0091QOCNA

send me a private message if you are interested and I will take some photos.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 03:54:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There seem to be some mixed reviews of the Noppoo Choc Mini.  Some say it's great, others experience failures within a fairly short time.

Also it has a non-standard layout, that might make replacing keycaps later on more challenging.

Is there a particular reason you liked this keyboard?  Would a more conventional TKL ANSI keyboard suite you better?  Much more widely available, more reputable brands, and much easier to replace keycaps down the track.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline windows446

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:02:40 »
There seem to be some mixed reviews of the Noppoo Choc Mini.  Some say it's great, others experience failures within a fairly short time.

Also it has a non-standard layout, that might make replacing keycaps later on more challenging.

Is there a particular reason you liked this keyboard?  Would a more conventional TKL ANSI keyboard suite you better?  Much more widely available, more reputable brands, and much easier to replace keycaps down the track.

I like the layout, plain and simple. It's compact but appears to still retain functionality without having to use asinine FN layers for everything aside from the alphanumerical buttons. That being said, I don't usually mod my keyboards (though I may start down the road), and if I were to, it'd probably match the color anyway -- making the spacebar a non-issue. Maybe when and if the legends fade on the Choc I'll order some new PBT caps to throw on -- my favorite caps are the Model M caps, anyway!

Of course, this is a hobby of experimentation, and we never find out if we like something if we don't try it, right? =]

I used to swear by only full-sized boards, but after starting college and using laptop keyboards for extended periods of time now, I've grown used to compact layouts and I find myself neglecting the numberpad and most of the nav cluster on the boards at home.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 12:57:53 »

I like the layout, plain and simple. It's compact but appears to still retain functionality without having to use asinine FN layers for everything aside from the alphanumerical buttons. That being said, I don't usually mod my keyboards (though I may start down the road), and if I were to, it'd probably match the color anyway -- making the spacebar a non-issue. Maybe when and if the legends fade on the Choc I'll order some new PBT caps to throw on -- my favorite caps are the Model M caps, anyway!

Of course, this is a hobby of experimentation, and we never find out if we like something if we don't try it, right? =]

I used to swear by only full-sized boards, but after starting college and using laptop keyboards for extended periods of time now, I've grown used to compact layouts and I find myself neglecting the numberpad and most of the nav cluster on the boards at home.

When you really wanna reach the next level of keyboarding, you gotta try a Diverge, Atreus, or Ergodox.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 20:29:52 »

Experimentation, yes.  Someone else cannot tell you if you'd like a particular keyboard or keycap set.

You can also get a stand-alone numpad if you find yourself missing a built-in one too much.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ