Author Topic: Any tips for making friends in college?  (Read 43462 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Any tips for making friends in college?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 09:47:12 »
I'm an introvert and making friends isn't my strength, frankly speaking. I'm not popular with girls either. I know that college is my last chance to make friends and get socialized like normal people but I'm always too shy to ask something or just say 'hello'. Don't know what to do with it...

You know how back in the day, ur 'puter couldn't run quake 3 , then you buy dat Voodoo 5 and it COULD.

It's the same thing with - Looks - .

The Hollywood facade is making a complicated dolling up procedure look natural.

Men usually  don't get this lesson , and if you come from an engineering family, it may not be an information set that's in the native repository.

But looking good, is VERY Mechanical. Short of Injury/ Disfigurement,  some youtube + $100 worth of equipment will easily get you +2 even +3.5.

It's actually much easier to (become good looking) as a male than a female.  The female system is far more rigid in terms of facial proportions approximating the golden ratio. 

But for males, you can be considered handsome, even if your face is NO WHERE NEAR the mathematical alignments.

Offline Yoshell

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 14:17:45 »
To make friends, first of all, you need more free time.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 22:08:09 »
Don't be a douchebag.

If you keep to that rule, the rest will probably come *cum by itself ;) .

FTFY

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 22:19:55 »
Don't be a douchebag.

If you keep to that rule, the rest will probably come *cum by itself ;) .

FTFY

This is where Fanpeep gives us a short story about his university-conquest.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 08:31:05 »
If you can't see past other people's imperfections, they probably won't look past yours.

But you have to find people who generally align with your attitudes on some (preferably most) subjects. Don't imagine that they don't exist.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 15 June 2022, 11:17:21 »
Just finished my first semester at Merrimack College (Go warriors!) and I have to say it was ****ing hell. I didn't have a roommate, didn't have any friends, and did literally nothing but sit in my room all day, purchase stuff I didn't need (Which was awful for my finances), talk to people online (Which is to socialization what a chewed piece of gum is to a pack), and discover just how much stuff I could fit into my butt (Which while enlightening, I do not recommend doing.)
What I got out of it?
- Try to start a club or join one. It doesn't matter if you hate the **** out of the people in it, a common interest is a great way to make friends. You'll warm up to them eventually, and even if they're not your favorite people in the world to be around they'll at the very least be a tolerable step up from sitting in your room all day.
- Introduce yourself to people, strike up a conversation. If you're in the common room with somebody and they're not really doing much, just say some **** like "So how about *Recent college/local sports team game*?" or "You hear about *blank*?" (Note: Never talk about religion or politics with people you're not good friends with. Very bad idea. "Friends who want to stay friends don't discuss those" as the saying goes)
- Host something. Talk to your RA about getting together a social event. Mario Kart in the common room, a poker night (Without real money ofc or they'll raise a brow), or even just buying a pizza
Lastly,
- Go to social events. I don't care if you hate sports, don't like playing kickball, or really aren't that interested in whatever the school is hosting, go there. Great way to socialize.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 August 2022, 21:14:40 »
Best thing to do is try and get out of your comfort zones, put yourself into situations and around people you generally would not. Or do something you always wanted to try, or have been curious about, but never had the guts to follow through with. You put yourself out on a limb and be confidant, and people will want to be around you.

This is very unlike me to say and try such things, so you know it really works.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 02 September 2022, 20:40:07 »
1. Club

2. high school alumni
3. Parents' friends' kids
4. Lab/recitation

I can be your friend  As Well : ) Yay Yay Yay!!!
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 13 December 2023, 06:47:51 »
I didn't have a roommate, didn't have any friends,

and discover just how much stuff I could fit into my butt

uhhhhh

someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 13 December 2023, 06:48:25 »
not trying to victim blame, but ...
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 14 December 2023, 02:27:26 »
Leave the bathroom door unlocked and touch yourselft on the bus, you'll make some new friends in no time at all!

Offline iri

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 05:58:57 »
You probably didn't spend much of your time trying to fit things up your arse either.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 12:01:01 »
You probably didn't spend much of your time trying to fit things up your arse either.

'Murican capitalism, the waste which culled the world.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 14:41:45 »

There are far more capitalistic and materialistic countries than America, but perhaps they started the ball rolling.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 14:58:41 »

There are far more capitalistic and materialistic countries than America, but perhaps they started the ball rolling.

No there are not.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 24 December 2023, 15:06:31 »

No there are not.

You've never been to HK then

Offline iri

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 06:16:48 »
Have you?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 06:54:20 »

Offline iri

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 25 December 2023, 14:46:07 »
My internet searches didn't reveal why Hong Kong is more capitalistic than the USA (and to be honest, it's a bit hard to imagine) so I guess the crux of the issue is that it has 8.698 billionaires per million of population whereas the USA has 1.853. So it's easier to achieve the American Dream in HKG vs the USA.

-Ray Bradbury