Author Topic: Solar/light powered board  (Read 3112 times)

Offline big soup

Solar/light powered board
« on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 20:21:27 »
Hello peeps. big soup here.
Lurker for the longest time(tuning in for a couple years), just didn't feel like I ever had anything cool to contribute to the community. But here I am.
First of all, not sure if this belongs here(Making stuff together) as it isn't an official project or prototype or anything. Just an idea
*I am completely inspired by the Logitech 750 and other logitech models.* I stumbled across them and obviously my first thought was but what if it was mechanical. This is aided by the fact that some enthusiast keyboards have a tall forehead anyways so a cell could easily fit. This project is cool to me because I despise charging things but I like wireless. I was even more inspired by the fact that common complaints for the logitech board could be fixed second time through such as implementing a replaceable battery and maybe solar cell.
One glaring issue is that I am an idiot. I have the same knowledge on how to implement this as a third grader.
So to the jist of it, I wanted to consult some people before even starting. Will this work?
Here are some uncertainties I have:
Do mechs require more energy than small chiclet style boards?
Will any enthusiast board be inherently worse because it doesn't have the research in creating an efficient wireless connection?
Are people even interested in this?
Too expensive?
Is the entire thing even worth it compared to just slapping a big battery to a keyboard which will already have a very long battery life?

Feel free to discuss.
P.s. If this isn't an original idea, my bad. If it is an original idea, be my guest to steal it. I would love to see people experiment with this idea
P.p.s. I'm not sure if I will be super active after now and if you never hear from me again, assume I didn't end up building a prototype or start it in any way

Offline nevin

Re: Solar/light powered board
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 01:13:48 »
Interesting idea. Never really thought about it. If you create efficient circuitry and correctly implement low power wireless a replaceable battery can last months (or only need charged at those intervals).

Mechanical is really no different than membrane from an electrical standpoint. In both, the controllers scan for connections when the switch/contacts get closed and electricity can pass though them and that's what registers the key press.

You are correct that power consumption will be the number one concern next to functionality. I remember asking hasu about current draw on some of the hardware he has created so I sifted though some previous threads where i knew there were some real numbers. Here's what they were (for reference):
- Hasu's Alps64 pcb draws 15mA at 5V with current firmware configuration. (standard USB mechanical keyboard pcb, no wireless, no LEDs)
- Hasu's HHKB Alt Controller (has bluetooth for wireless) draws 50mA when not trying to charge a lipo battery. When trying to charge a battery it can jump up to 500mA (which is pretty standard USB/Lipo numbers)

Doing a quick search turned up some 5V 30mA 53X30mm solar cells

So, by going by these numbers it's certainly doable (at least in an operational state, to get to a charging state you might end up needing more solar cells than you'd like)

There are currently a bunch of wireless options for mechanical keyboards. Some are integrated into the pcb itself, some are external modules and some that can be implemented DIY. The biggest variable here will be efficiency, being, the most integrated is probably the most efficient (longest battery life).

Here's a nifty video (although a little long) about a solar R/C plane. He explains a bunch about solar cells, current, etc. It's not about keyboards, but all the concepts are the same.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 01:38:04 »
I guess that Logitech have designed their keyboard with low power consumption in mind, you will most likely need a much larger solar panel for a custom keyboard as they are more designed with, well, customization options in mind and most likely power usage last.
I do believe that it can be done, just need to find a case with enough space for the panel, batteries do not need much power to charge, you just need to provide more than what the board will take, only the more power the faster it will charge.
If i remember correctly amorphous silicon cells would be the best option as they are cheaper and more efficient in low light environment. As for the storage options are numerous, lithium, Ni-MH, supercaps...
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 07:27:27 »
None of the current open source firmwares available are particularly optimised for low power draw. If they were, I'd think you might be able to save a few more mA.
But radio communications are always going to draw the majority of the power.

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 11:16:57 »
Anyone with Hasu's alt HHKB wireless controller that can chime in with battery size & run time? Would be great to know just as a data point.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 11:58:36 »
Finally found the other example i was looking for. I know these are a bit extreme (split 40%s) but these are wireless and run off of button cells and the runtime is supposed to be around 6 months. see links below. should be a good reference point.

reverse_bias's - Mitois
https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/mitosis
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/66588f/wireless_split_qmk_mitosis/

GlenPickle's - Chimera
https://github.com/GlenPickle/Chimera
https://www.reddit.com/r/olkb/comments/7a3vsy/chimera_ortho_wireless_split_40_ortholinear/

both are well documented. cheers.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 13:04:06 »
group buy for a 60% PCB with integrated bluetooth (solder & hotswap versions available) BIOI G60BLE 60% PCB R2
though i am not sure what form factor you are looking for. this would be a good starting point. only variable would be how you power it. it would be easy to get a current draw reading from the board to know how much solar power you'd need to run it. then it's just a matter of playing with some solar cells in your lighting conditions to see what they output. that would tell you how many you need for your "typical" lighting conditions.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2019, 13:12:42 by nevin »

Offline big soup

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 13:47:55 »
Thanks for all the input
I'll try to notify yall if I make any developments