Author Topic: [RANT] OMG I hate ABS so much  (Read 19341 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: [RANT] OMG I hate ABS so much
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 08:28:19 »
Once you go PBT, you never go back.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 15:23:02 »
ABS is utter ****.
PBT all night long

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 17:47:35 »
I actually slightly prefer ABS.

Most available PBT caps have a certain roughness or grainyness to the surface that I do not like over the smooth surface of most ABS keycaps. Though I realize this is due to the production process and not the material. I also do not really like how the keycaps feel as though they are made of a harder and less pliable material. Hard to explain that one, but you can feel it when you use the keycaps.

That said, I still use PBT caps on my keyboards
-So that they do not change color (white)
-So they develop less "shine" (black)

But I could get by on either. I do not find the differences between how they feel as significant as some others do.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 August 2014, 17:54:58 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 17:31:15 »

Most available PBT caps have a certain roughness or grainyness to the surface that I do not like over the smooth surface of most ABS keycaps. Though I realize this is due to the production process and not the material. I also do not really like how the keycaps feel as though they are made of a harder and less pliable material. Hard to explain that one, but you can feel it when you use the keycaps.

But I could get by on either. I do not find the differences between how they feel as significant as some others do.

I actually totally agree with this.  Sometimes PBT feels too hard, but I do like the fact that they last a bit longer.

Rumor says POM is the answer but I've yet to tried it.  :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 18:11:23 »
POM is really really smooth

it's like ABS but even smoother
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:12:51 »
I absolutely love the thick PBT on my Realforce 89s >.<
Though not overly enjoying the PBT keycaps on my poker 2

Offline ajx

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 04:06:34 »

i fully agree with you, PBT has certain roughness / graininess that feels not as smooth as ABS.
i prefer ABS overall but legend wearing off seems to be an issue on most of ABS keycaps.
Crap :(

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 06:34:58 »
I like both, each has pros and cons:
ABS: softer to the touch, double shot legends that are crisp and last forever. Some ABS are crap, just thin plastic, but SP DSA is really nice, not to mention GMK, with that really close to perfection Cherry profile and thick ABS.
PBT: You can dye sub those, that means any cool legend you can design, any font you want. Never develop shine, and if the PBT is thick a really nice typing experience, even with that roughness that has it's charm :D
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 15:52:21 »
^ where were the downsides to PBT?

;)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 17:34:36 »
I really like the POM keycaps on my Cherry G80, they are laser etched, but I'm hoping the letters will stay.

They feel awesome. Does anyone know if they get smooth/oily/icky after a while?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 22:10:38 »
pbtforever!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:11:38 »
^ where were the downsides to PBT?

;)
Well, double shots not available except for Vortex, but those sets are good only for standard boards and not custom ones. Banana spacebar ...
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Haidran

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 02:06:08 »
I discovered PBT when i bought a pair of poker 2s to play around with new switches.

I have completely retired my venerable ABS covered Leopold until I have a set for it (granite PBT from massdrop).

I didn't expect the feeling would change the dynamic of the board so much, but it really does.

Something Something Death and Taxes

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 07:07:53 »
PBT *does* start to shine, but only after some rough use. The gritty feeling depends on particular keycap set; for example, the texture of IBM/Unicomp caps is very different from the texture of SP's PBT DSA.

I really like the POM keycaps on my Cherry G80, they are laser etched, but I'm hoping the letters will stay.

They feel awesome. Does anyone know if they get smooth/oily/icky after a while?
The infill will fade eventually… luckily for me, because I prefer to touch the smooth caps, not lettering. I wish I could find some blanks POM sets. For Ivan's GB I shall wait.

Shine probably isn't relevant, because POM is even more durable than PBT. You might only have to clean the caps from the skin residue that sticks especially on glossy surfaces; that's easy though, a bath with some denture tabs is more than enough about once a year IMO.

Offline SirPony

• EHHHH All Caps Come @ me
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 17:26:33 »
the bad thing about those cherry pom caps is that you can feel the letter on the caps...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 17:31:47 »
Not after some use… I certainly can't feel the lettering on the home row anymore. I wish Das II was more common though and can't wait for the GB.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:21:52 »
... I wish I could find some blanks POM sets. ...

A pity these are out of stock. I like the set of them I have even though they're only medium thickness: http://www.banggood.com/POM-87-Set-Blank-Key-Caps-Black-Keycaps-For-Cherry-MX-Keyboard-p-84081.html

This seller on Aliexpress may be able to get the 87 key blank set, but at the moment he lists a front printed set: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/new-model-keycool-87-84-PBT-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-mechanical-keyboard-caps-POM-cool-shine/1948775033.html

If Ivan does a GB for a POM set, though, that's definitely the one I'd go for. He doesn't GB poor sets, only top grade stuff :)

POM POM POM POM POM... POM all the way. Unless they're GMK doubleshots...
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 15:28:45 »
Thick pbt forever.
Now i just need a few blank thick pbt modifiers and keys of varying colors.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #118 on: Sat, 30 August 2014, 16:41:34 »
... I wish I could find some blanks POM sets. ...
If Ivan does a GB for a POM set, though, that's definitely the one I'd go for. He doesn't GB poor sets, only top grade stuff :)
Yup, it's my only hope (unless SP starts selling POM SA blanks), because I've lost all belief that I'd find a Das II somewhere. I like my keycaps thick and home row dished without nibs.