Author Topic: Old Logo Dell AT101, WYSE, and more  (Read 7746 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Old Logo Dell AT101, WYSE, and more
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 22:27:26 »
Normally I wouldn't crap on the prices, but what's the point of asking for appraisals if you're going to ignore them?  Especially since you haven't tested or cleaned up any of the boards.

Offline PortablePlatypus

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 23:17:33 »
The dells were tested, and I already sold one for $33 shipped, which was higher than the evaluation. I'd rather start a little high and sit on them for a month before lowering. 30 cents to renew the listing versus multiple dollars potentially lost.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 00:18:44 »
Normally I wouldn't crap on the prices, but what's the point of asking for appraisals if you're going to ignore them?
I think PortablePlatypus is basically only on geekhack as marketing for his ebay auctions. Dunno, I’m not going to worry about it.

Offline PortablePlatypus

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 00:20:02 »
Normally I wouldn't crap on the prices, but what's the point of asking for appraisals if you're going to ignore them?
I think PortablePlatypus is basically only on geekhack as marketing for his ebay auctions. Dunno, I’m not going to worry about it.

That's more or less the case.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 00:43:40 »
How is that AT101 worth that crazy price?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline PortablePlatypus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:03:09 »

It's still the cheapest one on the market xD.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:05:02 »

It's still the cheapest one on the market xD.
First listing that came up. Cheaper and in better condition

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:13:49 »
That’s an AT101W, the type with later (“bamboo” = no slits, not as nice to type on) black Alps switches, printed keycaps, and the new Dell logo. Those are super common. The old-logo versions go for much more on Ebay. Especially the ones made by Alps with salmon switches, but even the Silitek black switch type.

I think the OP’s AT101 might sell at $70–80, but it also might not sell for any more than $50, or not sell for a few months at that higher price.

But then again, what do I know? Ebay buyers pay ridiculous prices for stuff all the time.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:16:44 by jacobolus »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:14:19 »
Notice the different logo. Thick dyesub caps on the one he has. Go look at photos taken by Korean member Scarface for a more detailed look at the two boards.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:15:42 »
That’s an AT101W, the type with later (“bamboo” = no slits, not as nice to type on) black Alps switches, printed keycaps, and the new Dell logo.
Ah. I dunno, that price just seems pretty high. But I'm no expert on alps so...

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 02:16:54 »
http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=f8&wr_id=531&page=2

The price is still awful, but there's a reason why his one is worth more than most Dell ATs.
github

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 06:23:41 »
I think PortablePlatypus is basically only on geekhack as marketing for his ebay auctions. Dunno, I�m not going to worry about it.

http://www.otd.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=f8&wr_id=531&page=2

The price is still awful, but there's a reason why his one is worth more than most Dell ATs.

I think PortablePlatypus is basically only on geekhack as marketing for his ebay auctions. Dunno, I�m not going to worry about it.

That's more or less the case.

It seems that more and more people are coming to geekhack just to sell their wares to geeks because they know we are suckers.

I hope two things will result.

1) The enthusiasts who are working on modernizing and reviving projects can get more help and support from the community at large, so that we can make our own goodies and don't need to bid against each other on ebay. I've put my money where my mouth is, and hope to see some results someday.  :thumb:

2) The geeks who have been overspending take a step back and consider how their love for geeky things is being exploited by people with practically no ties to the community. If perchance people peruse portableplatypus' past posts, they will find that pp's posts are entirely transaction-related and mostly have to do with him trying to find out how much his wares are worth.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 09:02:20 »
Notice the different logo. Thick dyesub caps on the one he has. Go look at photos taken by Korean member Scarface for a more detailed look at the two boards.

The old logo Dells (especially the model OP has) sometimes came with ABS caps.  OP hasn't pulled a cap and has no clue what dyesubbing is, so it's way overpriced because it's a speculative gamble.  If you look at the pics you posted Photekq, the Alt caps are green dyesub, OP's are black.  The pictures are such **** and OP knows so little that it's a massive overpriced gamble on some ****ty Black Alps.

And I'm tired of seeing people like OP who are just there to make money off the community, often with way overpriced goods.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 11:30:31 »

The old logo Dells (especially the model OP has) sometimes came with ABS caps. 

I bought an old-logo AT101 a couple of months ago and it had ABS caps and bad black switches. I really only wanted it for the caps.

I do think that I was able to re-sell it on ebay for somewhere in the neighborhood of break-even (after a thorough cleaning).
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline PortablePlatypus

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 14:14:28 »

The old logo Dells (especially the model OP has) sometimes came with ABS caps.  OP hasn't pulled a cap and has no clue what dyesubbing is, so it's way overpriced because it's a speculative gamble.  If you look at the pics you posted Photekq, the Alt caps are green dyesub, OP's are black.  The pictures are such **** and OP knows so little that it's a massive overpriced gamble on some ****ty Black Alps.

And I'm tired of seeing people like OP who are just there to make money off the community, often with way overpriced goods.

This board is the reason I bought myself a Quickfire TKL. I've spent hours lurking and reading obsessively about different boards and if I had the money, would probably upgrade. As it stands, I'm dirt broke, so I don't see a point in talking about things I can't afford. It hurt a little when I was boxing up the AT-101W as part of me wanted to keep it, but I really have no choice but to sell due to my financial situation. If you don't like the prices, make an offer. I'm willing to sell outside of ebay.

I'm not sure how to determine if they're dyesub, but the underside of the cap is a solid beige if that helps.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 14:17:13 »
If you take a pic of the underside of one keycap (or even a close-up pic of the top) we can tell you what the printing method is.

Offline PortablePlatypus

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 14:36:10 »
If you take a pic of the underside of one keycap (or even a close-up pic of the top) we can tell you what the printing method is.
http://imgur.com/xrKYu3M

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 14:38:14 »
http://imgur.com/xrKYu3M
ABS (I think! I'm commenting outside of my comfort zone). Worth much, much less than you have it for sale for.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:57:38 by Photekq »
github

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:08:58 »

I'm not sure how to determine if they're dyesub, but the underside of the cap is a solid beige if that helps.

A Dell AT101W has Windows keys, an AT101 does not. Old-logo boards are pre-Windows.

The certain way to test for ABS vs PBT is to swish a drop of acetone on the underside of the key. If it etches into the surface of the plastic, it is ABS. If it resists acetone, it is PBT.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Special K

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 13 February 2015, 09:18:06 »

A Dell AT101W has Windows keys, an AT101 does not. Old-logo boards are pre-Windows.

You mean pre-Windows 95 right?  Wasn't the windows key introduced with Windows 95, since that's when the Start menu first appeared?

Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.