Author Topic: Optimus Maximus Keyboard review (Cherry ML)  (Read 4386 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Optimus Maximus Keyboard review (Cherry ML)
« on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 04:50:23 »
To end the year, we're looking at a rather special keyboard; the Optimus Maximus keyboard. Hope you enjoy the video, and happy holidays! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline widdlekitty

Re: Optimus Maximus Keyboard review (Cherry ML)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 12:41:08 »
Ooh, yes! I'm glad you did this one. I remember thinking this was the coolest thing when I first saw it. Definitely long before my deep dive into the mech world. I had a coworker that had mention getting it and absolutely hating it. I wasn't surprised.

On a complete tangent, there's a control panel I've used professionally that borrows on this concept but did it in a very unique manner. Filmlight is a company that makes color correction software. The control panel that they bundle with the higher end systems have this functionality:

Rather than have heavy key movement, there's actually no display in each of the keys. Each key acts as a lens thats mounted over a video display and the top of the keycap is essentially a rare projection screen. Movement is light with what seems like a shallow travel distant. The whole thing is a closed/sealed system due to its complexity, so its hard to know exactly what kind of switches they're using.

Here's a brief promo thing showing it a bit more:

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 13:09:24 »
At least Art. Lebedev was smart enough to never actually produce the successor, the Optimus Tactus.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 14:03:13 »
The actual successor would have been the Optimus Popularis with a single LCD screen behind the keys. It has scissor switches, with the scissors and rubber domes being outside the screens.

I think Microsoft Research made a bunch of keyboards with similar switches that they had sent to colleges to get software for.
There have also been a couple gaming keyboards from Razer with only ten similar keys above a touch screen / touch pad: The first one was themed for the Star Wars-The Old Republic MMO that is no more, but they made one that was not branded anything but Razer.

Offline atarione

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 23:14:29 »
I watched the review... I lol'd what a steaming pile.. I remember when this thing came out and thinking what an absurd pile of dung it seemed like..

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 14:35:45 »
"it sucks ass" "This golden turd"

Oh what would we do without Cyro's hyperbolic ranting about boards that don't fit his personal ideal?

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 17:49:30 »
"it sucks ass" "This golden turd"

Oh what would we do without Cyro's hyperbolic ranting about boards that don't fit his personal ideal?

It's a 1600 dollar keyboard that uses Cherry ML's, probably the most hated mechanical switch family in existence. The entirety of its cost is focused on how programmable it is and the LCD screens on the keycaps. It's not a personal ideal issue here, it's a practicality one--it put so much money on being pretty and hi-tech that actual customer experience was an afterthought.
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 18:45:39 »
It's kind of amazing this thing ever made it to market.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion