Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3509041 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3050 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:15:47 »
Not sure if this is really the right place to ask but here goes:

I'm flying to Hamburg on Sunday, I've never been anywhere on a plane before and my family aren't exactly well travelled or technology minded. Is it a bad idea to put my SLR (only taking one lens) in my hold luggage even if it's in a case (a pretty sturdy kata bag that it's been dropped in a few times and never been hurt)? I could maybe at a push fit it in my hand luggage but would be a tight squeeze.

always bring your  camera/laptop/electronics in your carry on.

Offline Topre

« Reply #3051 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:17:26 »
I don't understand what F13-F24 are. Why would you need to program what isn't on the board? And if you're saying it's a macro layer, doesn't that imply that you can program keys that aren't on the board since that's what macros are?

Well not sure what most of the F-keys are for, but in Windows 8 there are key combinations that can be done with F21.
Search = LShift+LWin+F21
Share = LAlt+LWin+F21
Devices = LControl+LWin+F21
Settings = LWin+F21
Being able to hit PN+1 (or another key) and getting one of those to pop up would be nice.

Yea, by macro layer I meant you can't program keys that aren't on the keyboard. There is no software programmable option for the Poker and everything has to be done by clicking the keys on the keyboard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3052 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:18:47 »
I don't understand what F13-F24 are. Why would you need to program what isn't on the board? And if you're saying it's a macro layer, doesn't that imply that you can program keys that aren't on the board since that's what macros are?

Well not sure what most of the F-keys are for, but in Windows 8 there are key combinations that can be done with F21.
Search = LShift+LWin+F21
Share = LAlt+LWin+F21
Settings = LWin+F21
Being able to hit PN+1 (or another key) and getting one of those to pop up would be nice.

Yea, by macro layer I meant you can't program keys that aren't on the keyboard. There is no software programmable option for the Poker and everything has to be done by clicking the keys on the keyboard.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I don't use Windows 8 so I had no idea.

Offline Topre

« Reply #3053 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:20:22 »

Search = LShift+LWin+F21
Share = LAlt+LWin+F21
Settings = LWin+F21

Ok thanks for the clarification. I don't use Windows 8 so I had no idea.

Most people that use Windows 8 would have no idea too. I only found out about F21 by using my Touch Cover for the Surface, and that's how those keys worked.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3054 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:21:18 »
Not sure if this is really the right place to ask but here goes:

I'm flying to Hamburg on Sunday, I've never been anywhere on a plane before and my family aren't exactly well travelled or technology minded. Is it a bad idea to put my SLR (only taking one lens) in my hold luggage even if it's in a case (a pretty sturdy kata bag that it's been dropped in a few times and never been hurt)? I could maybe at a push fit it in my hand luggage but would be a tight squeeze.

^^^ This. Don't let anything important to you out of your reach. Baggage handlers think it is their job to break everything in your checked luggage.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #3055 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:22:09 »

Righto, will just try and squeeze it in then..

This is definitely the wrong place to ask this.
And sorry, realise now that this thread is in the keyboard section. My mistake, assumed it was a general thread.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3056 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:23:00 »
It's ok, I didn't mean for that to sound harsh but this should be keyboard related :D

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3057 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:26:32 »

Search = LShift+LWin+F21
Share = LAlt+LWin+F21
Settings = LWin+F21

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

press the win key and release it then start typing to search

win+ F = search charm <--edit:
win + H = share
win + k = devices
win + i = Settings

you should be able to program the keys with the normal shortcuts.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:28:09 by domoaligato »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3058 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:29:06 »
I have been thinking about purchasing a KBC Poker II. Since there is proof that the keyboard can remap its keys, does this mean I can change the Fn layer's directional key layout? For example, instead of on WASD, is it possible to have the directional keys on ESDF?

So it appears that there's an FN and PN layer and you can program the PN layer keys how you like. Definitely check out those manuals though.

A better answer was provided by Binge: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44118.msg958313#msg958313
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:51:45 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Topre

« Reply #3059 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:30:39 »

Search = LShift+LWin+F21
Share = LAlt+LWin+F21
Settings = LWin+F21

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/keyboard-shortcuts

press the win key and release it then start typing to search

win+ F = search charm <--edit:
win + H = share
win + k = devices
win + i = Settings

you should be able to program the keys with the normal shortcuts.

Now I see it, thanks. Not sure why Microsoft decided to use F21 on their keyboards.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3060 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:34:46 »
there is always more then one way to do the same thing in windows :)
I am glad I could help.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #3061 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:35:08 »
It's ok, I didn't mean for that to sound harsh but this should be keyboard related :D

No worries, was my mistake anyways. On a keyboard related note, looks like I'm going to be without mine for 2 months of programming then :(

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3062 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 16:43:01 »
Is there one place in specific you could learn soldering from, if you don't have a physical class or place to go to and learn, what would it be? youtube? here on GH? any advice on where to start from scratch?

I don't think that they would have a class on soldering seeing as it's quite simple in terms of why it works.

The solder itself is conductive and pretty much liquid wiring until cooled down which then connects the two wires, or the switch to the pcb.

You hold the solder at pcb point to melt it and join the two points you need, think of it like a line of electricity, but in the end it needs to go in a circle.

Basically a liquid wire, that allows the circuit to be completed, you need to control the speed or else you might burn something, or the solder is impure if not completely melted.

Completing the circuit :x.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3063 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 01:08:19 »
Is there any way to clean fingerprints off of anodized aluminum?

Offline Topre

« Reply #3064 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 01:58:50 »
Is there any way to clean fingerprints off of anodized aluminum?

Have you tried rubbing alcohol?

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #3065 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 02:12:04 »
Is there one place in specific you could learn soldering from, if you don't have a physical class or place to go to and learn, what would it be? youtube? here on GH? any advice on where to start from scratch?

I don't think that they would have a class on soldering seeing as it's quite simple in terms of why it works.

The solder itself is conductive and pretty much liquid wiring until cooled down which then connects the two wires, or the switch to the pcb.

You hold the solder at pcb point to melt it and join the two points you need, think of it like a line of electricity, but in the end it needs to go in a circle.

Basically a liquid wire, that allows the circuit to be completed, you need to control the speed or else you might burn something, or the solder is impure if not completely melted.

Completing the circuit :x.

I think Dubs is more interested in technique. This tutorial series is really dated but it goes over the fundamentals quite well.

Practice on anything you can find that you don't mind destroying.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #3066 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 11:35:26 »
Does anyone know what these black, horseshoe-looking rings that come with Topre boards are for? I thought they were for locking keys to prevent actuation, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3067 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 18:57:51 »
Noob question incoming.

On the bottom row of this here PCB there are two spots where you can insert the switches.  Which spots are for what layout?

http://i.imgur.com/53HCo0q.jpg

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3068 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:03:00 »
Noob question incoming.

On the bottom row of this here PCB there are two spots where you can insert the switches.  Which spots are for what layout?

http://i.imgur.com/53HCo0q.jpg

It looks like you can have variable modifier width there.  Maybe something like 1.25x 1.25x 1.25x 6.25x etc.  or 1.5x 1x 1.5x ... You can probably put modifier keycaps of your choice onto sample switches and figure out which positions make them all fit widthwise.  That'd be the crude way of doing it.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3069 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:03:30 »
Closer to the left for 86, closer to the right for 87 (on the left 3) and vise versa on the right 3.
I love Elzy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3070 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:25:22 »
Closer to the left for 86, closer to the right for 87 (on the left 3) and vise versa on the right 3.

I think you got it backwards. Closer to the left on the left three for 87, and vice versa on the right, using four switches on the right and off-center 6.25 spacebar.

For 86 key layout, use the holes closer to the right on the left side switch holes, and vice versa for the three switch holes on the right. With a 7-unit spacebar.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3071 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 19:32:39 »

I think you got it backwards. Closer to the left on the left three for 87, and vice versa on the right, using four switches on the right and off-center 6.25 spacebar.

For 86 key layout, use the holes closer to the right on the left side switch holes, and vice versa for the three switch holes on the right. With a 7-unit spacebar.

**** you're right. I don't know how I got that wrong because I literally looked at my board and I guess my excuse is English isn't my first language
I love Elzy

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3072 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 20:22:12 »
No worries. I'm sure you would have caught it later. I have just looked at the GH60 PCB enough that I'm familiar with the layouts.

in memoriam

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3073 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 20:24:30 »
I've played with only a few Korean pcbs :(
I love Elzy

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3074 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:32:28 »
Does anyone know where in US I can get some LEDs for keyboard? Or any key word I can search for on Ebay. Big thanks!
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3075 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:45:39 »
Does anyone know where in US I can get some LEDs for keyboard? Or any key word I can search for on Ebay. Big thanks!

Look for 2x3x4mm water clear leds on eBay.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3076 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 09:20:01 »

Look for 2x3x4mm water clear leds on eBay.

Gotcha!
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3077 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 09:28:19 »
Why are MX reds out of production? Also is there really a MX white switch now?
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3078 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 09:32:11 »

MX Reds out of production? I'm surprised.

Yes, there is MX white. Right here, in stock. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=210

I could be wrong though. I am kind of confused with white and clear. I vaguely remember that in China MX white switch is called "milk" and clear switch is "white".

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3079 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:34:50 »

There have been Whites for a while. They're heavy tactile, muffled audible feedback switches.  They're just very uncommon.

Offline calavera

« Reply #3080 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:40:54 »
heavy tactile? The whites are just clicky like blues with heavier springs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3081 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:42:32 »
1) Why are MX reds out of production?
2) Also is there really a MX white switch now?

3) There have been Whites for a while. They're heavy tactile, muffled audible feedback switches.  They're just very uncommon.

1) They're not?
2) Yes
3) They're clicky switches with a muffled click and heavy. Not tactile.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3082 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:49:49 »
heavy tactile? The whites are just clicky like blues with heavier springs.

1) They're not?
2) Yes
3) They're clicky switches with a muffled click and heavy. Not tactile.

They are tactile switches, they're tactile with a muffled click. Tactility refers to the feedback you feel on your fingertips and nothing more.  Blues, Greens, and Whites are all tactile switches, they're just clicky (or audible) as well as tactile.  Clicky is the descriptor for the audible feedback Blues and Greens give and the muffled click Whites have.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3083 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:52:57 »
Convention says that we call those switches "Clicky" while we say "Tactile" for Brown and Clears. That's all. I agree with what you mean but that's the convention the keyboard community has come up with so that's what I'm going to continue to use.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3084 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 12:56:45 »
Whites blue and greens are all 'clicky switches'
Browns grey and clears are all 'tactile switches'

All have a tactile bump, some more pronounced them others, while only the 'clicky switches' have a click and a bump, wheras the 'tactile switches' only have the bump.

Dat bump
Dat MX clear bump  ^-^

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3085 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:00:36 »
By the way, is there a typing video with MX Whites? There is one mixed with MX Browns but I think it's just the spacebar with a MX White switch. I want to try something clicky but blues are just too loud and I was wondering if whites would be something for me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3086 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:02:03 »
By the way, is there a typing video with MX Whites? There is one mixed with MX Browns but I think it's just the spacebar with a MX White switch. I want to try something clicky but blues are just too loud and I was wondering if whites would be something for me.

Try searching YouTube?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3087 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:20:03 »
Try searching YouTube?
I did, I only found the video with the MX White spacebar. There's also two short videos of somebody comparing a single white switch with a single blue, but that didn't help that much.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3088 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 14:54:15 »
Cherry MX switch tester comparison

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3089 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:13:29 »
Doesn't have whites :( Guess I will just buy some and try it out myself.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3090 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 16:21:27 »
Doesn't have whites :( Guess I will just buy some and try it out myself.

here is a keychain. I have one of these.
http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=63

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3091 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 00:18:39 »
I ordered a TG3 Data911 Backlit Keyboard w/ Touchpad M2C-TG3-TP from ebay yesterday to farm black mx switches from...

what size is the spacebar? I am curious because I would like to reuse the cherry plate mount space bar stabilizer on another project...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3092 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 06:44:49 »
what size is the spacebar? I am curious because I would like to reuse the cherry plate mount space bar stabilizer on another project...

I'm guessing from these pictures that the spacebar is 6x but I can't really tell. You can always order the stabilizers from Mouser as an alternative source.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3093 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:09:14 »
Anyone wanna give me some help with these PCB mounted cherry stabs?  I can't get the front pin thing all the way in.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3094 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:12:15 »
Anyone wanna give me some help with these PCB mounted cherry stabs?  I can't get the front pin thing all the way in.

Force it? That's how I got the mounts to fit on my KMAC PCB. Put the first legs into the smaller holes on the PCB then put some pressure on until they fit into the larger holes in the PCB.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3095 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:13:54 »

Force it? That's how I got the mounts to fit on my KMAC PCB. Put the first legs into the larger holes on the PCB then put some pressure on until they fit into the smaller holes in the PCB.

FTFY.

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3096 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:15:50 »
Hm. That explains why it was hard. I just kept forcing a reasonable amount of pressure until everything sat right. Then I yelled at my KMAC PCB for giving me a hard time.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3097 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:16:01 »

Force it? That's how I got the mounts to fit on my KMAC PCB. Put the first legs into the larger holes on the PCB then put some pressure on until they fit into the smaller holes in the PCB.

FTFY.
Wait wtf the wire has to face the front doesn't it?  The smaller holes are 1st on mine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3098 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:17:07 »
Wire faces the bottom of the board. So all the wires should make a U with the two tips facing the function row.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3099 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:18:15 »
Wire faces the bottom of the board. So all the wires should make a U with the two tips facing the function row.
Yeah that is what I thought.  You were right then CPT.