Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3508416 times)

user 18 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3100 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:31:44 »
Wire faces the bottom of the board. So all the wires should make a U with the two tips facing the function row.

Not necessarily. On a Poker it doesn't; the wire part sits under the zxcvb row. It just depends on how the PCB designer made them. The stab wires can face in either direction, depending on which way the holes are on the PCB.

MKULTRA, which board are we talking about, specifically?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #3101 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:11:39 »
what size is the spacebar? I am curious because I would like to reuse the cherry plate mount space bar stabilizer on another project...

I'm guessing from these pictures that the spacebar is 6x but I can't really tell. You can always order the stabilizers from Mouser as an alternative source.

this is from the OP
Where can I buy new wire stabilizers?
WASDKeyboards has them.

Would you please kind sir update the OP with links to stabilizers other then wasd's costar plate mount stabilizers? It is one of the most commonly asked questions.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3102 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:14:44 »
Deal, but you have to find my post on the part numbers for Mouser :P

The part numbers already in the OP. I forgot. I'll add sources/websites later.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:23:15 by CPTBadAss »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3103 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:25:11 »
So this Cherry Plate Mounted Stabilizers from Mouser.

What is the part number at Mouser for PCB mounted Cherry stabilizers?

I'm double posting and answering my own question. Binge found the Cherry Datasheet which has info on the stabilized keys. Link for the sheet is here.

Part numbers for the stabilizer:

Show Image

Frame = Plate Mounted
w/o frame = PCB Mounted

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3104 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:28:45 »
what would I need for the spacebar stab?
just a 6.25 wire? are they on mouser also?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3105 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:30:58 »
what would I need for the spacebar stab?
just a 6.25 wire? are they on mouser also?

I don't know of anywhere you can purchase a 6-unit spacebar wire. Or a 6.25-unit one, either. You may have to bend your own for that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3106 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:33:46 »
here is the youtube video of how to do that if it can help others in this thread...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3107 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:34:20 »
1) what would I need for the spacebar stab?
2) just a 6.25 wire? are they on mouser also?

1) Not sure what you mean
2) I'm pretty sure just the Cherry wires can be found on Mouser. If not, just buy the set...it's only $.50. Issue is that the Mouser spacebar wires are 8x so you'll have to bend your own. I haven't found a source for Cherry stabilizer wire in 6.25x sizing.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #3108 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 15:30:05 »
Bump for this question here:

Does anyone know what these black, horseshoe-looking rings that come with Topre boards are for? I thought they were for locking keys to prevent actuation, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3109 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 15:32:03 »
I say this in the OP but can you please not bump your questions in the future?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3110 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:58:20 »
Can anybody verify the "true" color of the casing on a white FC700R? The case looks pure white in some pictures but more of a cream white in others. I've also noticed some cases have a Leopold logo like filcos, is that an older version of the 700R?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3111 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:59:47 »
I've also noticed some cases have a Leopold logo like filcos, is that an older version of the 700R?

FWIW, my 700R has a Serial Number of 203 and it doesn't have any branding/logo.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3112 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:03:35 »
Every 700r in Korea I've seen has the logo on it. Don't think I've seen one outside of Korea that has one.
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3113 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:04:49 »
Bump for this question here:

Does anyone know what these black, horseshoe-looking rings that come with Topre boards are for? I thought they were for locking keys to prevent actuation, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Show Image

Alaric told me it's so you can disable winkey or other keys. It's a physical stop.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #3114 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:18:22 »
Any idea what this could be?

Might not actually buy it as I recently bought this foldable mechanical and a G80-11800, but would information about this board would nevertheless be interesting (usual stuff, switches, keycaps, you know).
Sorry the small pic, it's a Hewlett Packard keyboard manufactured in year 1991.
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3115 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:23:30 »
Any idea what this could be?

Show Image

Might not actually buy it as I recently bought this foldable mechanical and a G80-11800, but would information about this board would nevertheless be interesting (usual stuff, switches, keycaps, you know).
Sorry the small pic, it's a Hewlett Packard keyboard manufactured in year 1991.
Most likely rubberdome, especially if it's a consumer HP, they started to switch over pretty early on.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3116 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:34:50 »
Wire faces the bottom of the board. So all the wires should make a U with the two tips facing the function row.

Not necessarily. On a Poker it doesn't; the wire part sits under the zxcvb row. It just depends on how the PCB designer made them. The stab wires can face in either direction, depending on which way the holes are on the PCB.

MKULTRA, which board are we talking about, specifically?
a.87 ps2avr

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3117 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:39:44 »
Then all your larger holes should be closer to the bottom of the PCB with the exception of the Enter key. That's the only stab that should be like an upside down U.
I love Elzy

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3118 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 01:21:16 »
So I'm assembling my new GON kbd right.  And everything is going splendid besides this damn spacebar.  I was retarded and didn't test it until i soldered half of the damn switches onto the PCB and then I tested the spacebar and realized that it doesn't work.  Something is wrong with the stabs.  Like you press down the spacebar and they don't come all the way up.  Also they are making a clicking noise which I found unusual.  Any way to fix it without de-soldering all of these switches?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3119 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 02:16:01 »
Anyone wanna give me some help with these PCB mounted cherry stabs?  I can't get the front pin thing all the way in.
Force it? That's how I got the mounts to fit on my KMAC PCB. Put the first legs into the smaller holes on the PCB then put some pressure on until they fit into the larger holes in the PCB.

lol you're doing it wrong. There should be zero pressure for the large hole. The larger round part of the stab is designed in a way that it hooks into the PCB, no pressed in. The smaller hole is pressed in a little pressure.

I know jd already mentioned this, but just to reiterate again. Orientation of the wire is dependent on the PCB holes if you're using PCB-mounted stabs. The larger hole is always where the wire should be, and this can vary between different PCBs. If you're using plate-mounted stabs, then it's dependent on the plate's cutout. In this case, the wire is always on the opposite side of where the flaps sticking out.

I don't know of anywhere you can purchase a 6-unit spacebar wire. Or a 6.25-unit one, either. You may have to bend your own for that.

I've looked for a long time, and 6.25x cherry sizes cannot be bought anywhere. At least not in the US. I even emailed cherry directly, and they said loose stabilizers with 6.25x does not have a part number and can't be bought, even directly through them. This is rather odd, because so many modern keyboards use 6.25x sizes, so I'm assuming it's only made for complete keyboards.

There is a local place to me that can custom make any wire or spring from a CNC wire machine, but it's not cheap.

So I'm assembling my new GON kbd right.  And everything is going splendid besides this damn spacebar.  I was retarded and didn't test it until i soldered half of the damn switches onto the PCB and then I tested the spacebar and realized that it doesn't work.  Something is wrong with the stabs.  Like you press down the spacebar and they don't come all the way up.  Also they are making a clicking noise which I found unusual.  Any way to fix it without de-soldering all of these switches?

If they don't come up all the way, then it's probably because something is rubbing where it's not suppose to. Where did you get the wire? I have a stabilizer set from GON, and the spacebar wire was not made correctly. Cherry wires must be made to almost exact specs, otherwise the plastic pieces will either rub, or not move at all.

edit: Every plate so far won't allow you to remove PCB-mounted stabilizers without desoldering every switch and removing the plate. Had this been plate-mounted cherry stabilizers, all you would have to do is desolder only that one switch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2013, 05:11:13 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3120 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 06:27:48 »
Anyone wanna give me some help with these PCB mounted cherry stabs?  I can't get the front pin thing all the way in.
Force it? That's how I got the mounts to fit on my KMAC PCB. Put the first legs into the smaller holes on the PCB then put some pressure on until they fit into the larger holes in the PCB.

lol you're doing it wrong. There should be zero pressure for the large hole. The larger round part of the stab is designed in a way that it hooks into the PCB, no pressed in. The smaller hole is pressed in a little pressure.

I know jd already mentioned this, but just to reiterate again. Orientation of the wire is dependent on the PCB holes if you're using PCB-mounted stabs. The larger hole is always where the wire should be, and this can vary between different PCBs. If you're using plate-mounted stabs, then it's dependent on the plate's cutout. In this case, the wire is always on the opposite side of where the flaps sticking out.

Yup, you're right. I messed up assembling the Cherry PCB stabilizers last night and looked at the holes more carefully. The PCB mounted stabilizers have two different legs: a leg with a latch/flat on it and a leg that looks like a peg. The leg/flat goes into the larger diameter hole and then the peg should snap in easily.

And on my KMAC, all the stabilizers "U" openings faced away from the spacebar except for the one on the enter. I was being told that the Poker has one of the shifts and enter flipped so the openings face the spacebar. Like you said, it all depends.

Hooray for learning ^__^

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #3121 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:30:40 »
I'm getting ready to assembly my a.87 (not ps2avr, usb version) and on the LED supporting keys, there is not an extra set of holes for the LED resistors. Do I not put switching diodes on these keys? or do I have to use an SMD diode AND the resistor?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3122 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 08:02:21 »
I'm getting ready to assembly my a.87 (not ps2avr, usb version) and on the LED supporting keys, there is not an extra set of holes for the LED resistors. Do I not put switching diodes on these keys? or do I have to use an SMD diode AND the resistor?

Show Image

On my KMAC, the LED resistors are SMD and pick-and-placed into place by the SMT machine. In other words, they were already on the board and I only needed to put the LEDs into place and then solder the switch diode in the diode area/holes. Check the reverse side of your PCB just to check but I'd wait until another A.87 owner chimes in to confirm.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #3123 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 09:13:54 »
I think I can just put resistors in those spots, because the purpose of the diodes is NKRO right? I don't need to accept a C/L or S/L signal at the same time as other keys. Can anyone verify that's the purpose of diodes or there is there some other reason I did that?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3124 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 09:24:54 »
I think I can just put resistors in those spots, because the purpose of the diodes is NKRO right? I don't need to accept a C/L or S/L signal at the same time as other keys. Can anyone verify that's the purpose of diodes or there is there some other reason I did that?

I've been told multiple times that diodes are there to control the flow of electricity and not NKRO. I've just been told this though and I don't know the actual answer.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3125 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 09:35:55 »
Diode for NKRO, jumper for 2KRO. If it needs something connected there one way or another to function. Or at least this is how it is on G80, I would assume others too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3126 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 09:36:45 »
Thanks for clarification Lysol :D

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3127 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 10:44:36 »
If they don't come up all the way, then it's probably because something is rubbing where it's not suppose to. Where did you get the wire? I have a stabilizer set from GON, and the spacebar wire was not made correctly. Cherry wires must be made to almost exact specs, otherwise the plastic pieces will either rub, or not move at all.

edit: Every plate so far won't allow you to remove PCB-mounted stabilizers without desoldering every switch and removing the plate. Had this been plate-mounted cherry stabilizers, all you would have to do is desolder only that one switch.
Yeah GON plate only allows PCB mount :/

I got the stabs from Lysol.  The wire does appear to be rubbing up against the plate and doing funky stuff im general.  Where can I get a new wire?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3128 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 10:48:22 »

I got the stabs from Lysol.  The wire does appear to be rubbing up against the plate and doing funky stuff im general.  Where can I get a new wire?

Check the OP. I just updated it with some info on this.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3129 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 10:51:05 »

Check the OP. I just updated it with some info on this.
Ouch gotta bend my own.  Will check it out after I get home from work.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3130 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 14:20:12 »

No, you can't put a resistor in place of the diode spot. The resistor for that LED is located near the controller area, not right next to the LED. Most boards are built this way, where all the electronics components (except diodes) are grouped together somewhere.

If you have to solder in a single resistor and don't have a SMD one, you can solder in the the leads laying down flat to the SMD pad. Make sure that resistor is positioned so it doesn't interfere with any other components, and clip the excess lead off.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3131 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 13:50:14 »
I have opened a new thread as a [Professional Services] - Directory
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45886

I thought it might be useful to have in the OP of this thread for people asking who offers what services....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3132 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 18:34:27 »

I thought it might be useful to have in the OP of this thread for people asking who offers what services....

As long as you update that thread.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3133 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 23:59:12 »

I will as long as the community will continue to have me here.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3134 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 00:12:05 »

I will as long as the community will continue to have me here.

Well then, sorry but....

Looks like you're gonna have to keep updating that thread ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline pchp

« Reply #3135 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:06:32 »
What is the weight of IBM Model F keyboard?
I want to buy one but I need that data for the international shipment.
Thanks

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3136 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:10:44 »

According to this link/review the weight of an AT F is 2.8 kg or 6.2 lbs. What model F are you looking to buy exactly? Common Model Fs are XT and AT.

Offline deazncy

« Reply #3137 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:14:57 »
Is it possible to mod the poker ii's stabilizer to fit in a pure alu case?
“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” -Bruce Lee

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3138 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:17:13 »

What is wrong with the stabilizers? The Pure alu case is low profile so it shouldn't really be interfering with the case at all. Even if it wasn't low profile I don't see how the stabilizers would get in the way.

Offline deazncy

« Reply #3139 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:26:29 »

What is wrong with the stabilizers? The Pure alu case is low profile so it shouldn't really be interfering with the case at all. Even if it wasn't low profile I don't see how the stabilizers would get in the way.

The tabs that hold the wire for the spacebar stabilizers protrude, making it difficult to fit it in the case without damaging it. I was wondering if there was a mod to make it fit in the case.
“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” -Bruce Lee

Offline pchp

« Reply #3140 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:42:06 »

According to this link/review the weight of an AT F is 2.8 kg or 6.2 lbs. What model F are you looking to buy exactly? Common Model Fs are XT and AT.
Thanks for reply
That's heavy! I have to pay 20 dollars for each kg. I'm looking for a xt

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3141 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:42:42 »
have a look at this video.
is it this portion that is being cut off that rubs?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3142 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:44:05 »
have a look at this video.
is it this portion that is being cut off that rubs?

I think that portion comes in contact with the PCB and dampens it.

I've tried this mod on plate mount Cherry stabs and it does nothing since those parts don't ever come in contact with anything.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3143 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:44:55 »
oh ok... lame.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3144 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:21:57 »
The tabs that hold the wire for the spacebar stabilizers protrude, making it difficult to fit it in the case without damaging it. I was wondering if there was a mod to make it fit in the case.

I honestly have no idea. WhiteFireDragon should be able to answer your question though. You can wait here for his reply if he sees this, ask in his Poker 2 Review thread, or PM him.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3145 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:41:52 »
What type of diodes do I need for these pcbs? Kitty pad and 38gt from gon.
Are diodes even required?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3146 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:45:50 »
Looks like they let you do either SMD diodes or through hole diodes if you want to do it that way.  I'm more confused by the SMD spots and two sets of holes at the base of the switch.  It seems like you maybe can do SMD LEDs and stock Cherry diodes?
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:48:03 by nubbinator »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3147 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:07:37 »
Looks like they let you do either SMD diodes or through hole diodes if you want to do it that way.  I'm more confused by the SMD spots and two sets of holes at the base of the switch.  It seems like you maybe can do SMD LEDs and stock Cherry diodes?

I think you are correct tho nubs, I was thinking the same thing.

I asked GON as well and he said :

You need 1N4148 Diodes DIP or SMD(I use DIPs only.).

So both are possible, and I'm guessing the extra holes are for stock cherry diodes (in switch diodes?) or for dual LEDs.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3148 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:22:32 »
So both are possible, and I'm guessing the extra holes are for stock cherry diodes (in switch diodes?) or for dual LEDs.

Looks like you can put diodes direct on the board or in-switch them like you said.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3149 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 21:23:21 »
Y U so new?