Author Topic: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) WoB Hiragana - 11.05.21 Indefinite Hiatus  (Read 58234 times)

Offline Rex Tyhogi

Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) - 01.28.2021 UPDATE #2
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 11:00:55 »
This set is atrocious. Japanese culture being used as an accessory and fetishistic at best. So much missed potential to use red keys and off-white sub legends to represent the meat and marbelling respectively. The novelties are also very tacky, and don't really provide anything of note.

Feels more like the set is riding off the trend of people eating わぎゅう and less so a genuine attempt at a set. Disgusting, to say the least

Offline ForsakenCoffee

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 11:08:30 »
This set is atrocious. Japanese culture being used as an accessory and fetishistic at best. So much missed potential to use red keys and off-white sub legends to represent the meat and marbelling respectively. The novelties are also very tacky, and don't really provide anything of note.

Feels more like the set is riding off the trend of people eating わぎゅう and less so a genuine attempt at a set. Disgusting, to say the least

I find it a little ironic that you chose to complain about fetishizing Japanese culture and then proceeded to type out wagyu in Hiragana instead of English like the rest of the post.

Offline smshark

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 11:22:49 »

Idk if this is a troll or something, but kinda feels like you're just asking for a Jamon remake. Perhaps I missed the joke but I'm not sure THIS is the set to take a stand against the fetishization of Japanese culture lol

Offline Syper

• [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛)
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 17:47:25 »

Hi! This keyset is mainly created to fill the void of no WoB Hiragana keyset being available as well as adding some flavour in with some cow novelties. I have plans to adding more designs as things progress.

I definitely feel you wanting to do marbling for the keycaps or having a red as an accent but in the test renders it did not come out well. The marbling required really fine lines, but GMK requirements meant I had to basically make a zebra print. It just did not translate well. That being said I am exploring options with artisan caps where more custom designs are possible.

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 14:42:32 »
Hello, in thread "GMK Beta" was published update of basic Latin/Hiragana GMK keycaps from Zambumon:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108290.msg3009840#msg3009840
Zambumon_GMK_Hiragana_Latin_RFC.pdf  https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108290.0;attach=261369

Offline lluvia

Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) WoB Hiragana - 01.28.2021 UPDATE #2
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 20:34:10 »
Intro
This set features the classic WoB with Hiragana sublegends with GMK icon mods and novelties inspired by the “Japanese Black” cattle breed, known for being a wagyū breed.  Kuroge Washū directly translates to “Black Cow” in English.

This set features the classic WoB with Hiragana sublegends, GMK icon mods, and novelties inspired by the "Japanese Black" cattle breed, Kuroge Wagyū. The name literally translates to "Black Haired Japanese Cattle" in English.

TN: Kuroge Washū literally translates to "Black Haired Japanese Breed." Washū is a more scientific term that consumers will generally not use to describe the animal or the beef.

Novelties Inspo
For the novelty design, I am taking inspiration from the 'Japanese Black' cow breed most well known for being one of the four wagyu beef breeds. Its pitch black hide is the perfect match for the set! Kuroge Wagyū directly translates to “Black Cow” in English.

For the novelty design, I am taking inspiration from the most well known Wagyū breed, the "Japanese Black" cattle. Its pitch black hide is the perfect match for the set!

TN: Kuroge Wagyū is known as THE Wagyū, as the other breeds pale in number (Kuroge Wagyū is >90% of all Wagyū.) -- Kuroge Wagyū is not famous for being one of the breeds (as majority would not even know there are several breeds). The other Wagyū breeds also have different characteristics, Kuroge Wagyū beef the one that many associate with the taste of Wagyū.

I decided to use an onion and mushroom because they are served grilled at Teppanyaki or cooked in a hotpot with the shabu shabu style.

I decided to use an onion and mushroom because they are served grilled alongside Wagyū at Teppanyaki.

TN: Unfortunately, white/round onion is not a common ingredient in (Japanese) Hotpot, Shabu-shabu, nor Sukiyaki. The onion that is the staple for these are the Japanese leek, also known as the Green or Spring Onion. (Not scallions.) On the other hand, while Gyūdon, or "Beef Bowl," doesn't have mushrooms, but have white/round onions. as its main ingredient.

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 08:47:44 »
Please, add at least one 3U spacebar:p

Offline Syper

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 00:38:25 »
Intro
This set features the classic WoB with Hiragana sublegends with GMK icon mods and novelties inspired by the “Japanese Black” cattle breed, known for being a wagyū breed.  Kuroge Washū directly translates to “Black Cow” in English.

This set features the classic WoB with Hiragana sublegends, GMK icon mods, and novelties inspired by the "Japanese Black" cattle breed, Kuroge Wagyū. The name literally translates to "Black Haired Japanese Cattle" in English.

TN: Kuroge Washū literally translates to "Black Haired Japanese Breed." Washū is a more scientific term that consumers will generally not use to describe the animal or the beef.

Novelties Inspo
For the novelty design, I am taking inspiration from the 'Japanese Black' cow breed most well known for being one of the four wagyu beef breeds. Its pitch black hide is the perfect match for the set! Kuroge Wagyū directly translates to “Black Cow” in English.

For the novelty design, I am taking inspiration from the most well known Wagyū breed, the "Japanese Black" cattle. Its pitch black hide is the perfect match for the set!

TN: Kuroge Wagyū is known as THE Wagyū, as the other breeds pale in number (Kuroge Wagyū is >90% of all Wagyū.) -- Kuroge Wagyū is not famous for being one of the breeds (as majority would not even know there are several breeds). The other Wagyū breeds also have different characteristics, Kuroge Wagyū beef the one that many associate with the taste of Wagyū.

I decided to use an onion and mushroom because they are served grilled at Teppanyaki or cooked in a hotpot with the shabu shabu style.

I decided to use an onion and mushroom because they are served grilled alongside Wagyū at Teppanyaki.

TN: Unfortunately, white/round onion is not a common ingredient in (Japanese) Hotpot, Shabu-shabu, nor Sukiyaki. The onion that is the staple for these are the Japanese leek, also known as the Green or Spring Onion. (Not scallions.) On the other hand, while Gyūdon, or "Beef Bowl," doesn't have mushrooms, but have white/round onions. as its main ingredient.

Hi! Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Admittedly I am not Japanese myself so I relied on my Japanese friends to provide advice for the set. As I haven't had the pleasure to try wagyu dishes in Japan I have been taking inspiration from the wagyu dishes within my city. I will take another look into that specific novelty though so thank you for pointing it out!

Offline Syper

Re: [IC] GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) WoB Hiragana - 02.19.2021 Vendor Update
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 10:42:25 »
02.19.2021 Vendor Update:

February update: we secured vendors worldwide! Going to finalize kits, revisiting novelties before announcing a GB date. Stay tuned!

Confirmed Vendors:
CAN: Ashkeebs
US: Space Cables
EU: Candy keys
UK: Prototypist
ASIA: KBDFans
OCEANIA: SwitchKeys

Offline Oddstag

Psyched for this set. Would love to see something a bit more "iconic" on R2 as that is where the Esc key is located on the board I have in mind for this and there is no 40s kit. The 2 1u spacebars are a very welcome sight.

Offline Dellinav

February update: we secured vendors worldwide! Going to finalize kits, revisiting novelties before announcing a GB date. Stay tuned!

Confirmed Vendors:

Hey just wondering in regards to Space Cables, will it be on their old website that you linked? Or rather their SpaceHoldings domain?

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
This looks so clean. Professional even, something you'd use in an office setting. But not at all boring.

Offline Tyson

Confirmed Vendors:

Hey just wondering in regards to Space Cables, will it be on their old website that you linked? Or rather their SpaceHoldings domain?

Spaceholdings has always been the only domain that they have. Space is trying to move away from being called SpaceCables since he does more than just cables now. :D

Offline chung

:thumb: :thumb:

Offline Syper

GMK Kuroge Wagyū (黒毛和牛) Huge Novelty Update!

I felt like this set was missing that extra polish so I went ahead and got my friend to help me redo the novelties. Keep in mind they are only drawn drafts, the final versions will be GMK compliant and much more polished. What I need help with is to finalize the novelties to go with the set via a feedback poll!

Vote for the new novelties you like the most here: https://forms.gle/54MfcKRDR9g98ThD9

There are also some upcoming small kit changes, nothing big! Updated renders will come soon with the updated novelties.
- Removed 00 key from base kit
- Spacebar updated: removed 6U offcenter, one of the 1U. Added 2x 3U.

I am still aiming for a Q2 group buy, but it is likely it will be Q3. More info will be shared soon.

Novelty Update Summarized (vote here: https://forms.gle/54MfcKRDR9g98ThD9)

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 March 2021, 10:34:05 by Syper »

Offline Oddstag

The new designs are nice but I personally prefer the old ones. I praised the inclusion of 2 1u spacebars before and would be very disappointed to see one go. Personally these changes put me from a locked in yes to a probably no, but I might be alone there. Thanks for the update.

Offline Syper

The new designs are nice but I personally prefer the old ones. I praised the inclusion of 2 1u spacebars before and would be very disappointed to see one go. Personally these changes put me from a locked in yes to a probably no, but I might be alone there. Thanks for the update.

I'm curious, is it because the design went from a minimalistic vibe to a more animated one? The old designs were a bit stiff and wasn't really cohesive in design. So with the new novelties I hope to bring it all together while also including some more marbling with this new style for the steaks (highly requested).

Regarding the spacebar kit, I dropped down to only 1x 1U to still provide support for some Alice boards (bear 65%, which I bought!). It is to my understanding that 2x 1U is mainly for othro keyboards and I do not have a 40% kit.

Offline lush_bunny

vote submitted!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
Definitely preferred the old novelties. The only ones I wasn't a fan of where the R4 ones.

Offline Oddstag

I'm curious, is it because the design went from a minimalistic vibe to a more animated one? The old designs were a bit stiff and wasn't really cohesive in design. So with the new novelties I hope to bring it all together while also including some more marbling with this new style for the steaks (highly requested).

Regarding the spacebar kit, I dropped down to only 1x 1U to still provide support for some Alice boards (bear 65%, which I bought!). It is to my understanding that 2x 1U is mainly for othro keyboards and I do not have a 40% kit.

Yeah I have a 2.25u + 2.75u split space layout that has 1u on either side that I like as spacebars rather than mods. I can get a 40’s kit from another wob set and at this rate I’ll just do that and skip the spacebar kit here. As for novelties I don’t see what motivates the cartoon art style at all. The colours and typography are clean and refined. Wagyu beef is a gourmet attraction so the more mature art style seems like a better fit than a cartoon art style. If this was a set about candy or something I’d get it but not for a cut of meat that costs the same as the gmk set based on it.

Offline kidgoth

• imagine living outside of the US
def prefer the stiff style of the old novelties

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
As for novelties I don’t see what motivates the cartoon art style at all. The colours and typography are clean and refined. Wagyu beef is a gourmet attraction so the more mature art style seems like a better fit than a cartoon art style. If this was a set about candy or something I’d get it but not for a cut of meat that costs the same as the gmk set based on it.
+1

Offline Kinesiologist

can you please add F13 into the base kit?

Offline Syper

Sneak peek at the new final designs, basically a more refined lines and more pronounced shapes. I believe we struck a good middle ground between refined and stylized. Playing around with some eye shapes (ovals vs circles) and nose distance rn. More to come this weekend ;D

Offline Oddstag

I personally thought this set was ready to run before any of the recent changes. This latest is still too cartoony for my taste. I liked the idea of a sake novelty and thought maybe some japanese knives or a butcher’s diagram might be a neat addition if it kept to the old style. This new direction would be a no from me but it’s your set and you gotta stay true to your vision. Best of luck!

Offline vnflynn

I'm also negative about the recent changes in novelties but I will keep it short . I think its hard to beat the original design because it captures both tastiness and gourmet treasures in one .

Offline lush_bunny

I'm cool with whatever, still a great set.

Offline stomaha

Heyo - is this still looking like Q3 for the GB?

Offline UGunaLOSE

Novelties are pog!!!

Offline stomaha

Next. level. pog.

Offline berto

• play more promode
I'm interested, think I like these more than the katakana and hiragana sets.

Offline adi

• adi.kbds; Consider ePBT Fruit Chew
    • Adi Nikumbh
rama enter that just says MOOO pls

Offline LiTurk

love the set just sick for GMK lead times

Offline Oddstag

Given that this is an icon mods set it would be great to see a 40s kit as the last time I can think of a 40s wob kit with just icons was quite awhile ago.

Offline solartempest

Loving this set!! My wife says it's the first set she would be excited about, which is actually pretty awesome. I have spent some time in Japan and she had lived there before. We love wagyu and cows, so it is a great match. What lluvia has mentioned is accurate. There are also many great western-style restaurants that serve wagyu in Japan which are well loved by foreigners and residents alike.

If it's possible to include more 1U novelties I would be very happy! My keyboard layout has very few 1.25U and 1.5U keys they don't have much of a use (for me at least). I like both the "cute" cow and the more "serious" looking one. The styles are quite different.

The tea set was nicely drawn and personally fits me much better than the sake, but I can understand some people may prefer the alternate. The round onion wasn't immediately obvious as an onion because typically they are sliced very thinly or in small chunks in Japan. As for the mushroom, it looked like a strange bowl at first before I realized/read it was a mushroom. Perhaps right side up or on an angle may be more obvious?

Happy to answer any questions on Japanese cuisine or culture (from our point of view at least). My wife and I are foodies. Hoping this set does well because I am excited about it. =)

Offline stomaha

Any hope for an R1 equals (=) key so we can use this on compact 1800 boards like Zambumon's Sar?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
Sorry for necro but are there still plans on running this set?