Author Topic: chef's knife recommendation  (Read 2169 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
chef's knife recommendation
« on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 11:26:01 »
I went through loads of different kitchen knifes, but always wanted to buy myself a nice, high quality, some known brand, chef's knife.
I mean like a general use one, one-for-all chopping needs kind a thing.
Like for example this Japanese chef knife - SAKUTO.

298687-0

What do you guys use? Can you recommend some knife?
Should I go with chef's knife or Santoku?

This Santoku is also nice :D

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 April 2023, 11:58:09 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: chef's knife recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 11:54:29 »
I got a knife sharpener, changed my life.  even my dollar store knives cut like legendary socketed.

Changing the blade's grind angle impacts chopping durability the most.

The steel's characteristics and quality will probably make an impact if you do a very high volume, but in terms of day to day cutting and chopping, grind angle makes the bigger difference.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 12:24:58 »
A nice Misen or Global, the chef's best friend.

Posers will spend $$$ on some Wusthof or Zwilling, but people who actually COOK for a living will tell you: Misen

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 13:03:29 »
I have been using an 8" Henckels chef's knife as my primary knife for 30+ and it has served me very well. As I recall it was priced slightly under $100 at the time but we got it as a wedding present. I have similar 10" chef's knife and 8" slicing knife, but unless I really need the extra length they feel more awkward.

But - sharpening a knife with a couple of quick swipes every time you put it to serious use is the key to happiness.

Having tried the santoku style, I must say that I hate it. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but through the years I suppose that I have developed my personal cutting style of "rocking" and it just feels wrong if I can't rock the knife along its full length.

https://misen.com/blogs/news/santoku-vs-chefs-knife?nbt=nb:adwords:x:16628587829::&nb_adtype=&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=&nb_mi=&nb_pc=&nb_pi=&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_si={sourceid}&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 16:33:45 »
Misen cannot be bought in UK unfortunately:(

What about Dalstrong?
Chef's Knife 8", Shogun Series ELITE.

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 17:59:13 »
That looks like an awesome knife. All mine are plain boring old-school from the 20th century.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 20:01:12 »
idk if they have Bed Bath and Beyond over there, but they are closing all stores and literally everything in every store is like 40% or more off.
Yesterday I picked up a complete set of bathroom towels, an area rug, a cast iron skillet, a hand juicer, and some linen curtains for $60 which is insane to me.
I am VERY tempted to go back for some knives, but the lady told me the prices will keep dropping to 80% the next few weeks off until they close.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 20:21:18 »
idk if they have Bed Bath and Beyond over there, but they are closing all stores and literally everything in every store is like 40% or more off.
Yesterday I picked up a complete set of bathroom towels, an area rug, a cast iron skillet, a hand juicer, and some linen curtains for $60 which is insane to me.
I am VERY tempted to go back for some knives, but the lady told me the prices will keep dropping to 80% the next few weeks off until they close.

do they sell TVs ?

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 April 2023, 02:48:40 »

Dalstrong?!

Oooh oohh, check out knifes section, maybe you could get me one for 80% off? :)
But then I wonder if you could just ship it to UK...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 April 2023, 07:43:51 »
My typically old-school knife bracket.