Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3512560 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3600 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 23:26:43 »
1) Any suggestions for cleaning the plate on a terminal board that spent is full of dust dirt and God knows what else?
2) What is the prefered method for cleaning really dirty non yellowed caps?
3) Is there any way to tell ABS from PBT without destroying the cap?

1) Rubbing or isopropyl alcohol, as pure as you can get it.
2) Get some denture cleaning tabs. Put the caps in warm water, put the tabs in, and then wait 20 minutes. Take them out and then dry them.
3) Feel of the cap?

Thanks for the reply CPT I think I am going to try just some dish soap in warm water with a tooth brush on the caps they are pretty grimey.  I think the boards spent their life in a factory of some sort.  Judging by the build up the one looked like the factory made something with wood.  I mean there was enough between the PCB and the bottom half of the case to dump out in a pile on the floor.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3601 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 23:26:59 »
1) Any suggestions for cleaning the plate on a terminal board that spent is full of dust dirt and God knows what else?

Datavac, compressed air, brush it out, scrub it with a toothbrush, rubbing alcohol, etc.  There are a ton of ways to do it.  Find what works best for you without losing parts.

2) What is the prefered method for cleaning really dirty non yellowed caps?

Everyone has their preferred method.  Some toss them in a bag into the dishwasher.  Some use denture tabs.  Some use soap and a brush.  All work well.

3) Is there any way to tell ABS from PBT without destroying the cap?

Get salt saturated water and toss them in.  They float they're ABS, they sink they're PBT.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #3602 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 23:33:57 »
Q.
What do you usually do when you buy another KB knowing your significant other half will be pissed beyond godlike?

(I just get prepared to spend double, so $xxx.xx for the KB, and $xxx.xx for the hu$h) lol

You hide them. You have them shipped to work. You mix them up with other stuff and say " look what I found honey, I forgot I had this" . I, of course, would never do anything like that. I've only heard of others pulling such antics!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3603 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 00:15:32 »
Q.
What do you usually do when you buy another KB knowing your significant other half will be pissed beyond godlike?

(I just get prepared to spend double, so $xxx.xx for the KB, and $xxx.xx for the hu$h) lol

You hide them. You have them shipped to work. You mix them up with other stuff and say " look what I found honey, I forgot I had this" . I, of course, would never do anything like that. I've only heard of others pulling such antics!

That would never work for me.  She knows exactly what I have for completed mech boards.

Anyone have an idea on what boards I should be scrounging ebay for when looking for double shot PBT caps?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3604 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 00:50:59 »
Is there any way to make my QFR with browns feel any more like a Poker with ergo-clears? Like o-rings or something.. the QFR just feels cheap compared to the ergo clears. There's a cheap plastic bottom out sound I'd like to avoid, but retain the tactile feel.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3605 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 00:51:31 »
Q.

That would never work for me.  She knows exactly what I have for completed mech boards.

Anyone have an idea on what boards I should be scrounging ebay for when looking for double shot PBT caps?

Doubleshot PBT caps aren't really a thing.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3606 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 00:54:06 »

Well, they are, just no one really does them since they're so hard to get right.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3607 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 01:13:03 »

Well, they are, just no one really does them since they're so hard to get right.
Thats why I didn't say they aren't a thing.  I said they aren't really a thing.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3608 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 05:07:21 »
Is there any way to make my QFR with browns feel any more like a Poker with ergo-clears? Like o-rings or something.. the QFR just feels cheap compared to the ergo clears. There's a cheap plastic bottom out sound I'd like to avoid, but retain the tactile feel.

If you want to avoid that bottom-out sound, O-rings could help. The better long-term solution would be modding the switches to ergo clears of course.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3609 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 10:06:17 »

I thought there was a few older boards that had double shot PBT.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3610 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 11:34:14 »

You can get double shot PBT but its very expensive. i3oilermaker sells a few double shot PBT caps at Techkeys.us. His Wario cap was a double shot cap with a W dye-subbed. But it was far more expensive then most of the novelty caps he sells. I've never heard of a full set of double shot PBT caps.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3611 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 11:45:03 »

You can get double shot PBT but its very expensive. i3oilermaker sells a few double shot PBT caps at Techkeys.us. His Wario cap was a double shot cap with a W dye-subbed. But it was far more expensive then most of the novelty caps he sells. I've never heard of a full set of double shot PBT caps.

Gotcha thanks CPT. 

Edit:  Has anyone attempted an ABS first shot with a PBT second shot?  Assuming the first shot is the legend with the second shot as the rest of the cap.

Just wondering if it has been tried or if it would even work with the two different kinds of plastic.  Just thinking out loud really.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 19:10:39 by Melvang »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3612 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:23:54 »
Has anyone attempted an ABS first shot with a PBT second shot?  Assuming the first shot is the legend with the second shot as the rest of the cap.

Just wondering if it has been tried or if it would even work with the two different kinds of plastic.  Just thinking out loud really.

The two plastics have different shrink rates so I'm not sure what would happen. I've never seen an ABS/PBT cap. I know its possible with polycarbonate and ABS though.

Offline alosec

« Reply #3613 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:30:03 »
I want to replace the stock caps on my Filco MJ2 with PBT caps, will the caps at the top of Signature Plastic's marketplace do the job? It says they fit on MX caps, I just want to make sure they fit profile/stabilizer-wise.

http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3614 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:30:38 »
I want to replace the stock caps on my Filco MJ2 with PBT caps, will the caps at the top of Signature Plastic's marketplace do the job? It says they fit on MX caps, I just want to make sure they fit profile/stabilizer-wise.

Yes. The caps shown there are ANSI 1.25x and the Filco is ANSI 1.25x unless you have ISO or something.

Offline alosec

« Reply #3615 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 20:56:35 »

Yes. The caps shown there are ANSI 1.25x and the Filco is ANSI 1.25x unless you have ISO or something.

edit: http://i.imgur.com/gCvuYHT.jpg
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:02:57 by alosec »

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #3616 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 22:37:24 »
Can I install LED backlighting on a phantom?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3617 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 02:10:27 »
no pcb doesn't support it 
I love Elzy

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3618 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:43:36 »
Clears would be a medium weight tactile switch and greens or whites a medium weight tactile switch?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3619 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:18:52 »
Clears would be a medium weight tactile switch and greens or whites a medium weight tactile switch?

That depends on how you define medium weight. Clears actuate at 55cn, greens and whites at 80cn.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3620 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:20:48 »
Does someone know if the 'right click' (function?) key has a name like mod something?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3621 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:22:03 »

That depends on how you define medium weight. Clears actuate at 55cn, greens and whites at 80cn.

Clears have a unique spring, which is why this is the case, even though clears are still comparabley stiff.
I love Elzy

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3622 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:28:59 »

OK I know that at one point there was a pic posted with 9 different switches and was arranged by feel in rows and weight in columns.  Is there any way we can get that posted to the OP?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3623 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:31:56 »
Does someone know if the 'right click' (function?) key has a name like mod something?

Not understanding your question. Explain please.

OK I know that at one point there was a pic posted with 9 different switches and was arranged by feel in rows and weight in columns.  Is there any way we can get that posted to the OP?

If you can find it. I spend 30 mins looking for this supposed picture and dubsgalore spent more. He misremembered the one from calavera's Korean Spring buy as this. I'm not hunting Google again. Find it and post it here and I'll do it.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3624 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 19:35:40 »
Not understanding your question. Explain please.

For instance, the super key 'alias' is mod4, alt is 'mod1'. I would like to know if this to the right of the right super has such a name.

Just out of curiosity XD

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3625 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:07:45 »
For instance, the super key 'alias' is mod4, alt is 'mod1'. I would like to know if this to the right of the right super has such a name.

Just out of curiosity XD

Do you mean the menu key?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3626 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:08:06 »

Just out of curiosity XD

Do you mean the menu key?

Yes!

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3627 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:11:40 »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3628 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:27:33 »

Show Image

Awesome find mkultra.  That isn't the one I remember seeing but will work better.  Thanks a ton guys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3629 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:36:56 »
Added to the OP.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3630 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 20:42:36 »

Show Image

Awesome find mkultra.  That isn't the one I remember seeing but will work better.  Thanks a ton guys.

If you Google ripster spring guide it should link you to his imgur which has that plus many more images.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3631 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:48:08 »
Not sure how simple this is, but does anyone know of a good source for very thin layers of memory foam in the US?  I keep seeing it mentioned as a bottom [dampening] layer in Korean customs, and I believe I could really use something to fill the cavity between the bottom of the case and the PCB in my Filcos.  Memory foam should be noncapacitive / conductive, right?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #3632 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:51:19 »
Not sure how simple this is, but does anyone know of a good source for very thin layers of memory foam in the US?  I keep seeing it mentioned as a bottom [dampening] layer in Korean customs, and I believe I could really use something to fill the cavity between the bottom of the case and the PCB in my Filcos.  Memory foam should be noncapacitive / conductive, right?

Not sure about memory foam but I think I remember people using like draw liner stuff.  You can get it at the dollar store.

GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3633 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:52:37 »

What about shelf liner material?

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAI/ref=lp_3744211_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376405446&sr=1-3

Or would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Resilient-Extreme-Temperature-Silicone-Cellular/dp/B00CCGYEAC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1376405467&sr=8-16&keywords=memory+foam+sheet

bah! my work internet is being wonky....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3634 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:55:20 »

I use kitchen drawer liner from Target.

I've done this mod to my Leopold FC700R and it really helped. Funny thing is I didn't do it to the KMAC...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:06:04 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3635 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 09:59:41 »
Excellent--thanks guys!!  I know where to find those :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #3636 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:01:33 »
Never mind.
Thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 03:19:03 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #3637 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:57:28 »
Does anyone know the quality of blank Filco keycaps? I'm thinking of buying a set for $35, however I'm not sure if I should spend a little more on blank PBTs.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2013, 11:30:51 by Dreamre »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3638 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 10:58:47 »
Does anyone know the quality of black Filco keycaps? I'm thinking of buying a set for $35, however I'm not sure if I should spend a little more on blank PBTs.

The Filco keycaps I have are ok. Better than WASD, not as good as SP. Might as well spend on SP, Cherry/GMK, or PBTs. Subjective though, gonna be a lot of opinions.

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #3639 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:53:09 »
Does anyone know what row the insert, home and page up keys are? as well as the delete, end, and page down keys? are they the same row as qwer and asdf? I'm buying from wasd, and i think they have a different row-numbering system.
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3640 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:54:03 »
Insert Home and Page Up are F-row/number row. Delete, End, and Page Down are qwer row.
I love Elzy

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3641 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:55:43 »
Can anyone tell me whether MX is better than Topre?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3642 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:56:09 »
Topre is better, costs more.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3643 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:56:44 »

Wrong. Topre is better because it doesn't need loads of grease to feel like Topre.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3644 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:58:32 »

Hush child. The only switch you'll ever need again is Matias Clicky.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3645 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:00:45 »

Wrong. Topre is better because it doesn't need loads of grease to feel like Topre.

I like greese

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #3646 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:28:58 »

The newbie is really coming out today!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3647 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 18:50:13 »

He should know. I heard he got a couple switches to try recently. ;)

Offline driph

• driph.com
« Reply #3648 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:33:32 »
Here's a quick one. Received the Shine III today, and I've got one quick question. After choosing a custom profile (Fn+CM1, or Fn+CM2), is there a way to return to the previous regular mode, or do I need to hit Fn+F10 and cycle through the settings every time?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3649 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:11:36 »
Does updating/modifying the op in the classified section bump your thread?