Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3512880 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3650 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:13:40 »
Does updating/modifying the op in the classified section bump your thread?
No, it doesn't. I know from experience :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3651 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:16:05 »
Does updating/modifying the op in the classified section bump your thread?
No, it doesn't. I know from experience :))

Which is why people update the OP and than add an extra post to the end summarising what they have done.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3652 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:19:16 »
Cool thanks guys.  Also correct me if I am wrong but light colors can't be dyesubbed onto a darker colored cap right?  For instance a light to medium grey legend on a purple cap can't be done right?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3653 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 02:41:28 »
How's the quality of the keycaps sold by elitekeyboads?
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3654 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 04:53:08 »
Is there a picture floating around with a side by side comparison of the various key profiles? I keep hearing terms like OEM, DSA etc floating around, and I'd like to know how they compare.

I'm looking at potentially getting in on a keyset buy, but I need to have some idea of which profile I'd want.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3655 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:10:47 »
Is there a picture floating around with a side by side comparison of the various key profiles? I keep hearing terms like OEM, DSA etc floating around, and I'd like to know how they compare.

I'm looking at potentially getting in on a keyset buy, but I need to have some idea of which profile I'd want.

Here is one that I know of.  The DCS is the standard profile for group buys around here from what I have seen.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3656 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:33:16 »
That totally helps a lot.

SS looks like my ticket.

Also, where does OEM fall?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3657 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:37:43 »

OEM is usually the tallest profile. However, my Leopold FC700R caps were almost flat.

Here is one that I know of.  The DCS is the standard profile for group buys around here from what I have seen.

DCS is Signature Plastic's version of of the original/OG/standard Cherry profile. It's almost the same as the Cherry profile. I believe that the bottom modifier row has more of an angle than Cherry though. The back is angled more, hence the complaint of the sharp DCS spacebars.

Which ones? The Topre caps are probably the only aftermarket Topre caps you can get. The MX caps are GMK caps which means they're "new" Cherry thick ABS doubleshots.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:44:52 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Narcix

« Reply #3658 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:45:06 »

OEM is usually the tallest profile. However, my Leopold FC700R caps were almost flat.

Which ones? The Topre caps are probably the only aftermarket Topre caps you can get. The MX caps are GMK caps which means they're "new" Cherry thick ABS doubleshots.
the full sets for mx. thx
Keycool 87 Grey PBT with mx blues

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3659 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:45:38 »
Okay.

Now I must find an SA group buy, and pretend I can afford it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3660 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:52:34 »

Wow, I didn't even know they had fullsets. They're Pad Printed which are usually seen as low quality. And $20 a set? Probably not too good but I'm just speculating. I honestly have no idea.

Commando SA GroupBuy

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3661 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:55:10 »

Wow, I didn't even know they had fullsets. They're Pad Printed which are usually seen as low quality. And $20 a set? Probably not too good but I'm just speculating. I honestly have no idea.

Commando SA GroupBuy

Unfortunately, I tend to disassociate with anything overtly military. I just feel like it's tacky, and disrespectful. I know lots of people, and soldiers go into the whole, I paint my truck camo tendency, but I just can't do it.

Eish.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3662 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 06:20:45 »

Commando SA GroupBuy

Unfortunately, I tend to disassociate with anything overtly military. I just feel like it's tacky, and disrespectful. I know lots of people, and soldiers go into the whole, I paint my truck camo tendency, but I just can't do it.

Eish.

Totally understandable.  We had a guy in our squadron that snagged a bunch leftover paint from our H-60's and painted his truck with it.  Including details like Caution Hot Exhaust arrow pointing at the exhaust pipe, Escape arrow pointing toward the door handle and everything.  Decent quality wise as far as workmanship but looked like crap.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3663 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:22:29 »
Very important, guys.

What all needs to be modded on a Phantom plate to fit a QFR pcb?

I'm hearing that the controller (located above the arrow keys) needs to be added to the phantom plate, but will everything else match correctly?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3664 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:25:50 »
I'm hearing that the controller (located above the arrow keys) needs to be added to the phantom plate, but will everything else match correctly?

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like this will work. Just desolder the switches off the QFR, pop off the controller, plate the switches and then put the PCB on. Then put the controller on through the plate opening for the controller. Solder it all back together, drop into a case. I'm not 100% sure though.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3665 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:29:29 »
Okay, so this way, the controller would show through the plate? We're cutting a hole in the plate for it, not carving a pocket out, right?

I ask, because I'm looking at an acrylic plate at the moment, and it would change the aesthetics, though not necessarily for the worse.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3666 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:32:06 »
Okay, so this way, the controller would show through the plate? We're cutting a hole in the plate for it, not carving a pocket out, right?

Ok I'm mistaken. WFD did two runs of TKL plates: A universal and a Phantom. Check out the differences.

Universal TKL: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg988239#msg988239
Phantom TKL: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40501.msg988884#msg988884

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3667 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:42:01 »
Are there any major differences beside the controller? It looks like, eyeballing it here, modding out those 5 keys that sit where the controller would be, everything else lines up?

Or are there screw holes or something integral to it's operation that just wont match up?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3668 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:45:18 »
Are there any major differences beside the controller? It looks like, eyeballing it here, modding out those 5 keys that sit where the controller would be, everything else lines up?

Or are there screw holes or something integral to it's operation that just wont match up?

Sending WFD a PM on this topic.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3669 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:46:00 »
Cool. It's my bedtime, let me know what you find out, Melv.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3670 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:48:17 »
Not a problem

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3671 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:53:02 »
Just FYI Calmb4 and Melvang, WFD is on vacation until 8/21 I believe.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3672 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:56:37 »
oh, it WFD codename for Feng?

He's been active on the forums, and hasn't been responding to -business- correspondence, but might respond to questions of this nature.
I'm in no particular rush, though, so it can wait for him to get back. I'd rather get this done right.

Thanks CPT, and thanks Melv.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3673 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 07:57:45 »
oh, it WFD codename for Feng?

He's been active on the forums, and hasn't been responding to -business- correspondence, but might respond to questions of this nature.
I'm in no particular rush, though, so it can wait for him to get back. I'd rather get this done right.

Thanks CPT, and thanks Melv.

WFD is White Fire Dragon :P

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3674 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 08:00:08 »
Did they go on vacation together then? Because Feng's also on vacation until the 21st.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3675 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 08:03:52 »
Did they go on vacation together then? Because Feng's also on vacation until the 21st.

What? They don't live anywhere near each other. I doubt it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3676 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 08:13:57 »

WFD is gone until the 27th.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3677 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 08:44:44 »
Does anyone know what row the insert, home and page up keys are? as well as the delete, end, and page down keys? are they the same row as qwer and asdf? I'm buying from wasd, and i think they have a different row-numbering system.

From sherrys site

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3678 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 00:12:54 »

I just replied to Melvang's PM on this. But in case he doesn't pass on the info:

Phantom1 plates (black aluminum ones) were not designed by me, so you'll need to drill screw holes and the mill out the area for the controller. All round2 phantom plates were designed by me, and they were designed to fit a QFR case. There are already screw holes, but you'll need to cut an area for the controller. Everything else was made to match up.

I ask, because I'm looking at an acrylic plate at the moment, and it would change the aesthetics, though not necessarily for the worse.

Acrylic most likely won't work in this case. Acrylic plates and half-plates work for some Korean keyboards because they use standoffs that hold up the PCB. However, a QFR has standoffs that hold up the plate. The acrylic needs to be 0.060" because not only does the standoffs are only long enough for a certain thickness, the switches require 0.060" for the switches to lock onto the plate. The problem with having acrylic this thin is that you'll have some crazy flexing and a very weak PCB/plate combo. It might even snap because the 4 standoff points that hold up the acrylic are not symmetrical.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3679 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 00:23:31 »

I just replied to Melvang's PM on this. But in case he doesn't pass on the info:

Phantom1 plates (black aluminum ones) were not designed by me, so you'll need to drill screw holes and the mill out the area for the controller. All round2 phantom plates were designed by me, and they were designed to fit a QFR case. There are already screw holes, but you'll need to cut an area for the controller. Everything else was made to match up.

Acrylic most likely won't work in this case. Acrylic plates and half-plates work for some Korean keyboards because they use standoffs that hold up the PCB. However, a QFR has standoffs that hold up the plate. The acrylic needs to be 0.060" because not only does the standoffs are only long enough for a certain thickness, the switches require 0.060" for the switches to lock onto the plate. The problem with having acrylic this thin is that you'll have some crazy flexing and a very weak PCB/plate combo. It might even snap because the 4 standoff points that hold up the acrylic are not symmetrical.

Thanks for the reply WFD. I promise I won't bother you with shop talk until after your vacation.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3680 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 00:27:00 »
No worries, if I can't respond because lack of time or internet, then I simply won't  :thumb:

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3681 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 10:22:30 »
Is there a solid color buckling spring clack beside HO and the RWBs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3682 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:26:50 »
Is there a solid color buckling spring clack beside HO and the RWBs?

I don't think so.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3683 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:30:58 »
Hack Orange
Hardcore White
Revenge Red
Ionosphere Blue
Mr. Friday
Salute
OG Tricolor (only one that I know of)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3684 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:33:56 »
Thought he was asking just for the solid color BS Clacks :3

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #3685 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:39:54 »
Thanks guys. I know about the bi/tricolor skulls. I was just wondering if there's a rare solid color one that I don't know about.

:thumb:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3686 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 12:40:58 »
I just figured I'd list them all...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3687 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:21:30 »
On the back of an 1800 which position should the dip switch be in?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #3688 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 17:45:34 »

G80-1800 or G81-1800?
it should be set to AT. please refer to this thread..
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=9818.0

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3689 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:01:23 »

G80-1800 or G81-1800?
it should be set to AT. please refer to this thread..
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=9818.0

G80.
Thanks.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3690 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:20:49 »
Are the Ergodox switches plate or pcb mounted?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3691 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:21:21 »

Plate sorta, the switches mount through the top of the acrylic case.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3692 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:21:53 »

Plate sorta, the switches mount through the top of the acrylic case.

Thanks digi :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3693 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:27:12 »
That layer of the case is the plate, so technically plate mounted.

Offline driph

• driph.com
« Reply #3694 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 20:50:24 »
Here's a quick one. Received the Shine III today, and I've got one quick question. After choosing a custom profile (Fn+CM1, or Fn+CM2), is there a way to return to the previous regular mode, or do I need to hit Fn+F10 and cycle through the settings every time?

Answering my own question because Ducky responded.

No simple way to return to the previous mode after switching to a custom profile. You'll need to switch through the lighting modes manually to get to the one you want.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3695 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 17:50:12 »
What blue modifier sets are there other than the raindrop set?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3696 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 19:18:42 »

Imsto had some I believe

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3697 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 19:41:29 »

Imsto had some I believe

Thanks again Captain :)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #3698 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 19:51:43 »

SP have blue modifier sets, but you need to know it is DSA profile.
I believe wasd also have it.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3699 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 15:12:03 »
Hey, I just learned basically how a controler works and was a little surprised that it scans the columns one by one to know witch switches are activated (it makes sense but I was still surprised).

But 2 questions came to my mind:

1. What's the polling rate for a full cycle (how long it takes to scan all the columns once). I suspect it varies depending on the controler itself, so how to know whats the polling rate of a specific controler and what's a typical polling rate for a modern controler?

2. Is there a way to get the same result without having to have a direct connexion to the controler for each switch?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns