Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3499028 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3700 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 15:38:09 »
Hey, I just learned basically how a controler works and was a little surprised that it scans the columns one by one to know witch switches are activated (it makes sense but I was still surprised).

But 2 questions came to my mind:

1. What's the polling rate for a full cycle (how long it takes to scan all the columns once). I suspect it varies depending on the controler itself, so how to know whats the polling rate of a specific controler and what's a typical polling rate for a modern controler?

2. Is there a way to get the same result without having to have a direct connexion to the controler for each switch?

2. most custom firmware does not require a connection to every switch directly. they are connected via a matrix.
so only one wire per column and one wire per row.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3701 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 17:44:38 »
Hey, I just learned basically how a controller works and was a little surprised that it scans the columns one by one to know witch switches are activated (it makes sense but I was still surprised).

But 2 questions came to my mind:

1. What's the polling rate for a full cycle (how long it takes to scan all the columns once). I suspect it varies depending on the controller itself, so how to know whats the polling rate of a specific controller and what's a typical polling rate for a modern controller?

2. Is there a way to get the same result without having to have a direct connection to the controller for each switch?

2. most custom firmware does not require a connection to every switch directly. they are connected via a matrix.
so only one wire per column and one wire per row.

You got my question wrong: I understand that the controller scans each columns of the matrix and that it's the way for the controller to know which key(s) are pressed, but I wanted to know if there was a way to achieve this without having to scan the columns but rather to "always" know which key(s) are pressed anytime (not only when the column is scanned). With a direct connection to each switch, it would be possible, but it would require a controller with as many pins as you have switches, so I rather want to know if it is possible to work with a matrix but one that would have no need to scan the columns individually (maybe with a double matrix and an algorithm or something else).
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3702 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 22:29:00 »
1.  The only difference between the FC660M and the FC660C is the "M" is Cherry MX and the "C" is Topre switches correct?

2.  Is there any odd ball sized keys that make it a pain to get a set of caps for on the Cherry version?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #3703 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 22:34:08 »
1.  The only difference between the FC660M and the FC660C is the "M" is Cherry MX and the "C" is Topre switches correct?

2.  Is there any odd ball sized keys that make it a pain to get a set of caps for on the Cherry version?

1.  I believe so

2.  looking at this picture
Theres a short right shift, a 1x? modifier and I believe that means the spacebar is not a standard size.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3704 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 00:10:19 »

1.  I believe so

2.  looking at this picture
Show Image

Theres a short right shift, a 1x? modifier and I believe that means the spacebar is not a standard size.

Cool thanks Xenderwind.

Another question. 

Would any of the Teensy boards support PWM for user adjustable LEDs such as whats in the Razer Naga Epic?  If it is possible how difficult would it be to create a program that can communicate with the Teensy to adjust the color and brightness from a windows/mac/linux OS?

Edit:  Is the Race and the Pure the only 2 sub TKL and Sub $250 boards with dedicated arrow keys with caps that are readily available with standard GB's?
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 02:44:18 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3705 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 06:12:34 »
Edit: Is the Race and the Pure the only 2 sub TKL and Sub $250 boards with dedicated arrow keys with caps that are readily available with standard GB's?

The Pure has no dedicated arrow keys, and if you mean the Pure Pro, it has quite a few keys which you will probably not be able to get via GBs (1x1 shifts and backspace for example).
The Race is not Tsangan kit compatible either.
Here you can see the non-standard keycap sizes of sub TKL boards: The MiniLa Convention.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3706 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 06:32:17 »

1) Correct

2) Xenderwind is right, just wanted to add some more info. Check out this picture from Aggiejy.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3707 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:20:16 »
So I have a Poker X with ergo-clears and I wanted to try mixing it with some Panda clears. What are some examples of ergonomic setups that I can try?

I was thinking something liek the realforce one

But I would change it to only use heavy and light springs, since I don't have a spring in between the two.

FOLLOWUP: I made a layout that I will try. Will edit with my take, so  anyone who reads this can have the answer in my post :).

FOLLOWUP 2: I just swapped the springs. It feels really cool. I like it a lot at first try.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 17:41:34 by kenmai9 »

Offline phx

« Reply #3708 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:26:39 »
as a fan of light switches (brown/blue), I'm curious about the korean 55 and 45g springs. Anyone has any experience with them?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3709 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:32:07 »
So I have a Poker X with ergo-clears and I wanted to try mixing it with some Panda clears. What kind of ergonomic set up can I do to make it comfortable?

Show Image

But I would change it to only use heavy and light springs, since I don't have a spring in between the two.

How would anyone else know what you think is "comfortable". This is something only you would know. If you want to make it variable? Make it variable. For me? I only like uniform boards.

as a fan of light switches (brown/blue), I'm curious about the korean 55 and 45g springs. Anyone has any experience with them?

55g were a touch lighter than Reds with the Korean spring cushiony bottom out. Way too light for me. Never tried 45g.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3710 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:41:17 »
So I have a Poker X with ergo-clears and I wanted to try mixing it with some Panda clears. What kind of ergonomic set up can I do to make it comfortable?

Show Image

How would anyone else know what you think is "comfortable". This is something only you would know. If you want to make it variable? Make it variable. For me? I only like uniform boards.

I was asking for examples of what people have done so I can get an idea. I edited my question for clarity. Thanks CPTSassy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:42:49 by kenmai9 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3711 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:43:32 »

Show Image

I was asking for examples of what people have done so I can get an idea. Thanks though.

I'm not sure if anyone has done what your asking. Most people tend to stick with one spring type/weight.

But when I get my phantom back from being built I plan on doing some spring swaps to see what I like best, I plan on doing some modifiers different than the alphas etc.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3712 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:49:41 »

I was asking for examples of what people have done so I can get an idea. I edited my question for clarity. Thanks CPTSassy.

This thread is called Simple Questions, Simple Answers. Not "Guess At What My Question is and Answer the Question You Think I'm Asking". Clarity and brevity is always good. I can't read your mind and I'm not going to guess what you want. I want to help you, not confuse you.

On a more helpful note, I've seen a lot of people emulate the RealForce setup or have the alphas and modifers have a different layout. In other words, some people like heavier alphas and lighter mods or vice versa. And for some reason, I've seen a lot of custom layouts have linear switches in the WASD and arrows.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3713 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:23:44 »
If it helps I like uniform boards but I don't mind other switch types on some keys.  But I have limits.  The only keys that I can do a different switch type are keys where you normally lift your hand from home row to hit.  IE on TKL or full sized boards the nav block, arrow keys, the ten key side, and the ESC key.  Also for me the space bar has to have the same switch type (linear, tactile, clicky) but can have a heavier spring.  The one exception to this is my Orbweave has reds on WASD and either clears or ergo clears on the other switches.  But that is strictly a gaming pad.

Melvang

Offline lucifurburch

« Reply #3714 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:36:07 »
i was looking at an ibm pc jr and was wondering is it compatible with a modern pc and if not how hard would it b to make it compatible?.....it has Infra-Red conectivity and has a "phone" style conector in the back... dont think the infra red will b much help though

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3715 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:39:03 »
i was looking at an ibm pc jr and was wondering is it compatible with a modern pc and if not how hard would it b to make it compatible?.....it has Infra-Red conectivity and has a "phone" style conector in the back... dont think the infra red will b much help though

If you're talking about the one I think you are, don't even bother getting it.  It's a horrible rubber dome keyboard.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3716 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:39:21 »
Are there any 75% or smaller boards with dedicated arrow keys that do not have any odd sized caps that make group buys very frustrating?  If not the wife said she could go TKL

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3717 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:05:24 »
MX Mini?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3718 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:15:31 »
Also KMAC Mini, if you're willing to do a tsangan kit.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3719 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:37:34 »
Is it possible that I could have screwed up the MX switch bottom to where clicky switches won't click? Just moved from MX Clears to MX Whites in my Poker, and Z and backspace might as well be MX reds; there's no click whatsoever. I switched out the stems a few times and it didn't change so all I can see is that I somehow bent the actuation lever in the switch bottom. 

Offline lucifurburch

« Reply #3720 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:41:38 »
if she likes normal tenkeyless boards
i would recomend a leopold, a quick fire rapid or a filco. the reason... they all compatible with like 99% of after market keycaps with no need for any extra/odd keys..... :p

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3721 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:47:28 »
if she likes normal tenkeyless boards
i would recomend a leopold, a quick fire rapid or a filco. the reason... they all compatible with like 99% of after market keycaps with no need for any extra/odd keys..... :p

Thats what I was thinking mostly due to the price of the KMAC mini and the LZ MX Mini.  I'm sure that a Filco TKL would be considerably cheaper than either of these other 2.  Though the LZ looks like a very nice layout.  Any "stock" TKL out there with plate mount and the Tsangan mods?  That is if the tsangan mods are the 1.5, 1,1.5 setup.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3722 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:16:08 »
Any "stock" TKL out there with plate mount and the Tsangan mods?  That is if the tsangan mods are the 1.5, 1,1.5 setup.

Older Cherry boards will have a 1.5x mods but they won't be TKL. Those are the only stock boards I can think of with 1.5x.

Offline lucifurburch

« Reply #3723 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:26:37 »
is there a reason you want 1.5x mods?
all the keyboards i mentioned earlier use 1.25x mods which is good as they are more common and therefore make it easyer and cheaper to buy keycaps, also the Leopold i mentioned earlier is a little more expensive then the other two but has the most common key layout and cherry stabilizers...meaning it would be easy to change the keycaps and would be the cheapest to buy keycaps for

cherry stabilizers=no annoying stabilizer wires
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 22:32:55 by lucifurburch »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3724 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 23:02:21 »
is there a reason you want 1.5x mods?
all the keyboards i mentioned earlier use 1.25x mods which is good as they are more common and therefore make it easyer and cheaper to buy keycaps, also the Leopold i mentioned earlier is a little more expensive then the other two but has the most common key layout and cherry stabilizers...meaning it would be easy to change the keycaps and would be the cheapest to buy keycaps for

(Attachment Link)
cherry stabilizers=no annoying stabilizer wires

Just curious mostly will probably stick to the 1.25 mods for the wifes board but a lot of GB's seem to be adding the 1.5 mod kits

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3725 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 23:09:02 »
Just curious mostly will probably stick to the 1.25 mods for the wifes board but a lot of GB's seem to be adding the 1.5 mod kits

You mean a Tsangan kit?  Those are for special keyboard layouts.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3726 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 12:41:42 »
Just because they're adding them doesn't mean you need them or need a keyboard that has them.

That being said, there are some TKL boards that do have certain 1.5x mods. Usually though, they come with a not so common size spacebar as a result.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3727 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:36:12 »
So are stock white switches lighter than clear switches?

And is the only difference between whites and greens, the fact that whites a factory lubed so they are quieter?

Finally has anyone experienced a board with white where a few of the switches didn't click?

And is there a combo of the weight of clears but slightly clicky like whites?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:40:48 by SpAmRaY »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3728 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:40:49 »

And is the only difference between whites and greens, the fact that whites a factory lubed so they are quieter?

Finally has anyone experienced a board with white where a few of the switches didn't click?

You're not pulling a MOZ because of things that were said to you, are you...? <_<

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3729 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:41:50 »

You're not pulling a MOZ because of things that were said to you, are you...? <_<

Dude I'm serious. I'm typing on this board with whites and they just feel really light.

And a few of the switches don't click at all.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3730 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:51:41 »

Step one: Read the OP. It answers the first two of your questions.  Maybe if you weren't just posting because missalaire called you out on it, you'd have time to read these things?
Step two: Seriously, no need to be upset.
Step three: Learn to combine stems/springs

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3731 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:56:37 »

Step one: Read the OP. It answers the first two of your questions.  Maybe if you weren't just posting because missalaire called you out on it, you'd have time to read these things?

Everyone always says read the OP. I was just asking a serious question and could care less what anyone said. I just got a 'new to me keyboard' and am having issues understanding it's feeling.

go sort some keycaps TJ :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3732 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:57:27 »
Definitely upset.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3733 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:58:30 »
Someone here had to exchange their board with Whites (a KBC Race, I think) because a few switches did not click.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3734 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 16:59:35 »
Hush children.

Really though Ray, check out the OP. It has a lot of info that you could get behind. And yes, I have a few Whites on my Pure that don't click as much as other switches. I think its a quality control issue with the lubrication.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3735 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 17:02:20 »

Everyone always says read the OP. I was just asking a serious question and could care less what anyone said. I just got a 'new to me keyboard' and am having issues understanding it's feeling.

go sort some keycaps TJ :p

Cool story, bro.  Go read the OP and be enlightened.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3736 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 17:02:37 »
Definitely upset.

Dang it guys. Am I going to have to post a video of me typing on this keyboard. My jimmie's are not rustled because I don't wear jimmies.

I'm only upset because moose didn't send me a PM back.

Someone here had to exchange their board with Whites (a KBC Race, I think) because a few switches did not click.

sounds like quality control issue then...

Hush children.

Really though Ray, check out the OP. It has a lot of info that you could get behind. And yes, I have a few Whites on my Pure that don't click as much as other switches. I think its a quality control issue with the lubrication.

^^ Captain your help is appreciated. I've got at least 2 or 3 that don't click at all and at least half a dozen that half a much lesser click. And I'll read the OP but my reading comprehension sucks.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3737 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 18:46:22 »

I just posted this on the last page but I think everyone missed it since it was the last post:

I just put whites in my Poker and a few of the switches might as well be MX Reds; there is no click at all. A few others have a very subtle click compared to the others. I switched out the stems in the problem switches to see if it would fix anything and it didn't, so I'm assuming I damaged the switch bottom and the non clickyness isn't the fault of the whites.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3738 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:13:17 »

I just posted this on the last page but I think everyone missed it since it was the last post:

I just put whites in my Poker and a few of the switches might as well be MX Reds; there is no click at all. A few others have a very subtle click compared to the others. I switched out the stems in the problem switches to see if it would fix anything and it didn't, so I'm assuming I damaged the switch bottom and the non clickyness isn't the fault of the whites.

Yeah that's basically what I'm experiencing.  Makes me wonder if it's the leaf spring.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3739 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 03:48:28 »
Who designed the Round 1 Al plate for the Phantom?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3740 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 03:56:53 »

I'm sure there was some combined effort but I know I've seen Litster's name mentioned.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=23572.msg443851.msg#443851
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 04:00:16 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3741 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 04:38:57 »

I'm sure there was some combined effort but I know I've seen Litster's name mentioned.

Thanks Spam just trying to find the dimensions used in the plate for easy switch mods.

Also what is the standard size for a right shift?  2.75 correct?
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 05:55:52 by Melvang »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3742 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:37:37 »

Yes.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3743 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:29:59 »

Thanks Spam just trying to find the dimensions used in the plate for easy switch mods.

Yes, it was Litster.

And this is a modified design I did to work with 90-degree rotated switches, but you can get the dimensions you need:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3744 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:38:06 »
Thanks JD.  I would assume those dimensions are in decimal inches?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3745 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:41:50 »

Yes, it was Litster.

And this is a modified design I did to work with 90-degree rotated switches, but you can get the dimensions you need:

Show Image

^^ I think this info should qualify for the OP.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3746 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:45:13 »
Need to confirm if its in inches first. I was in the process of updating the OP.

I have a question: mkawa and I spoke about this but I was hoping some of the staff could help me. Can anyone on the staff (read mods/admins) add in two posts after my OP and give me control of them? The OP is starting to be a little overwhelming and I'd like to reformat how it looks and works.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3747 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 07:51:46 »
Need to confirm if its in inches first. I was in the process of updating the OP.

I have a question: mkawa and I spoke about this but I was hoping some of the staff could help me. Can anyone on the staff (read mods/admins) add in two posts after my OP and give me control of them? The OP is starting to be a little overwhelming and I'd like to reformat how it looks and works.
Yeah, it's inches.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3748 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 08:02:55 »
Inches!

in memoriam

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013