Author Topic: What ya reading?  (Read 128603 times)

Offline biothermal

• Art
Re: What ya reading?
« Reply #250 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 09:46:23 »
Reading through Prey by Michael Crichton
I just finished Mona Lisa Overdrive from William Gibson's The Sprawl Trilogy.
it's a interesting series.
How was it? I've started Neuromancer twice so far and quit about halfway through both times. I'll try one final attempt to get through it and if I don't succeed...I'll burn it.
This is me as well. I need to try and give Neuromancer another shot, especially while in lockdown again.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #251 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 10:09:05 »

give Neuromancer another shot

Although it was highly significant and revelatory at the time (before personal computers were commonplace except for very early adopters, and years before the interwebs were "a thing") it has long since lost its luster.

When I read 1984 in school in the 1960s, that date seemed a long way off. Some components of that one still seem implausible, but "doublethink" (aka "alternative facts") is all around us and growing exponentially amongst the under-educated. 
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline iri

« Reply #252 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:11:38 »
As someone who actually lived in a totalitarian country, I find 1984 underwhelming.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 22:06:10 »
ready player two sucked because of trans hate

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #254 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 07:27:11 »
As someone who actually lived in a totalitarian country, I find 1984 underwhelming.

I do not doubt that. We in the West can hardly imagine what it was like, and Orwell probably got it far wrong when he focused more on the personal level rather than a societal one.

My invocation of the 1984 book in relation to Neuromancer was because we are now "as far in the future" from that book today as we were from 1948 in 1984. Both made some startlingly accurate predictions but were mostly off-base.

Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline andy55

« Reply #255 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:23:20 »
Cloud Atlas. David Mitchell just has a way of making every single character seem so human and relatable, even those with whom the reader shares absolutely nothing in common.

Offline andy55

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:14:27 »
Vonnegut's novel Breakfast of Champions. It's one of my favorite novels

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:30:13 »
Almost done with this one, need to order the next in the line (loving Destiny lore):

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline yui

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:45:41 »
just finished Asimov's Foundation series and started "l'espace d'un an"  ("The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet" in english it seems) from Becky Chambers because the title seemed interesting in the SF aisle, not regretting it so far, although i may bey only about a 1/6 of the way trough it.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 21:34:04 »
House of Trump House of Putin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40728633-house-of-trump-house-of-putin

Not too long or difficult for people who are casual readers.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #260 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 22:01:34 »
Alternate history for a bit of a change.
262217-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #261 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 23:32:49 »
Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time), and Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:19:32 »

Can confirm, trans hate = suck automatically.

Also, I'm re-reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Favorite author, and I got in a mood for the specific style of story the Mistborn books are. Afterwards I'll probably finally get around to reading Way of Kings again, and from there work my way into finally reading books 3 and 4 of the Stormlight Archive.

Another on my list is Gideon the Ninth, as my sister loved it, heartily recommends it, and her, my mother, and I are doing a little book club thing for it.

Offline biothermal

• Art
« Reply #263 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 17:57:24 »

It also just... wasn't anywhere near as good. Got way too esoteric in its niche, made it not as universal as the first one.

Also, I'm re-reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. Favorite author, and I got in a mood for the specific style of story the Mistborn books are. Afterwards I'll probably finally get around to reading Way of Kings again, and from there work my way into finally reading books 3 and 4 of the Stormlight Archive.

Another on my list is Gideon the Ninth, as my sister loved it, heartily recommends it, and her, my mother, and I are doing a little book club thing for it.

Big props to not only 3 and 4 of stormlight, but also 3.5. Dawnshard was dope. Especially compared to Edgedancer (at least in my opinion, I wasn't really a huge fan of that one)

Offline franciscourant

« Reply #264 on: Fri, 05 March 2021, 18:36:55 »
I was reading principles of anatomy and physiology, very interesting, especially the chapters on cells and tissues. I stopped reading because I'm too addicted to the computer it seems.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #265 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 13:16:30 »
263868-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 08:11:52 »
Tim Wu will be a special adviser to President Biden on technology. This is great news! He is a brilliant thinker and an astute observer.

I am sure that I posted these 2 books way far back in this list, but I will bring them forward here. In my opinion, these are seminal books of recent years that should be read by everybody who is interested in the changes to our society precipitated by the explosion of technology and its near-universal adoption.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8201080-the-master-switch?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=KMr196jChj&rank=1

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28503628-the-attention-merchants?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=4clvlO0KnS&rank=1

Offline andy55

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 04:12:53 »
The Bear Comes Home by Rafi Zabor. It’s about a jazz musician struggling to make it in New York, going through his failed friendships/relationships, his struggle to get a record contract

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #268 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 02:40:08 »

I need to re-read the first three Stormlight books - I went to pick up the new one and realized I barely remembered what had happened.

I have mixed feelings on Gideon. The setting is interesting, the book is well written, and it's great to see more LGBTQIA+ representation in sci-fi/fantasy. But (slight spoilers, though nothing that I think isn't apparent from the Amazon description of the novel) I think the power imbalance makes things feel a bit Stockholm Syndrome-y to me.

Offline alertArchitect

• Genderless Void
« Reply #269 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 08:54:42 »
I need to re-read the first three Stormlight books - I went to pick up the new one and realized I barely remembered what had happened.

I have mixed feelings on Gideon. The setting is interesting, the book is well written, and it's great to see more LGBTQIA+ representation in sci-fi/fantasy. But (slight spoilers, though nothing that I think isn't apparent from the Amazon description of the novel) I think the power imbalance makes things feel a bit Stockholm Syndrome-y to me.

That's fair. Honestly, though, my sister gushes over it and she's the one out of us that's already read it, so I'll be going into it with a critical eye, if for no other reason than so we can discuss the book and not just how much we love the book, and actually go into discussing the themes and events in it.

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 10:51:30 »
Catia is reading a 3D modeling book!

Offline Foxxi

« Reply #271 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 21:45:22 »
I'm currently reading Game of Thrones! And the book is better than the movie.

Offline Herman

• college student
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 09:46:30 »
Hey, a book thread! Maybe this will motivate me to read even more.

Just finished A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
I loved it, thought it was really easy to digest, which is rare for books about quantum gravity and general relativity.

Just ordered five books to dive into during my thirty minute work commute this summer.

1. A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
           I really enjoyed Bryson's nonfiction and voice with his most famous work, A Short History of Everything, so
           thought this would be a nice read.
2. Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott
           Going in blind. I know nothing about this book.
3. 1984 by George Orwell
           Never read in middle school so I feel like I owe it to myself to get through it quickly.
4. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
           Same dig as 1984, but actually excited for this one
5. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
           A man can dream can't he?

Recommends/Avoids?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 10:11:57 »

Another long-view book that covers a lot of ground is:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23692271-sapiens

When I was in school 1984 was generally paired with Brave New World by Huxley as a compare/contrast sort of opposite viewpoint, which I recommend. But actually, I prefer Huxley's last book, Island as a more advanced treatment and/but a much more utopian perspective, which may partially short-circuit the dystopian comparisons. 

Offline Herman

• college student
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 12:46:18 »

Funny you mention Sapiens! I'm more or less three quarters through that book and I thought it was absolutely fantastic and thought provoking. I just bought it digitally and I'm a slug when it comes to reading digitally. Haven't opened that book in a few months, good time to jump back in.  :p

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #275 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 05:45:57 »

Can also recommend Homo Deus and 21 questions from the same author!

Best recent read for me have been Into thin air, and when school gives the time I will start Gödel, Excher, Bach :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #276 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 10:00:13 »
Jo Nesbř "The Bat"
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Tactile

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 10:41:21 »
Jo Nesbř "The Bat"
That's a good one. I've very much enjoyed that series.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #278 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 20:53:56 »
This is one is not a quick read but it is well worth it.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/52593654-nose-dive
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 December 2021, 21:32:15 by fohat.digs »

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #279 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 05:23:45 »
It's a shame this thread is not visited that often.
Maybe we just dont have time to sit and read a good book these days.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #280 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 06:35:49 »
Reading right now: The Linux Bible, by Christopher Negus
Want to read: Head-first Java by Kathy Sierra
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #281 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 07:32:53 »

I have tried to post here regularly, but went half a year this time.

Offline iri

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 13:39:47 »
I decided to learn English, so I'm reading "Ship or Sheep?"
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 13:45:44 »
Next you can read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves

Offline iri

« Reply #284 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 16:37:28 »
I was thinking Macbeth, but this also works

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 16:39:03 »
GH book-circle when?

Yall can add me on Goodreads in the meantime if ya want :)

https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?invite_token=YjRjNThlMzItODc3YS00NTY5LTk0MjItZGMyY2MxOThiMzYz
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 December 2021, 19:40:25 by Signature »

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 08:19:54 »

True, I completely forgot about this thread myself. Maybe the big readers don't have time to browse GH? :D

Recently read "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport, now reading "Deep Work" by the same author.
On work-related stuff, I'm reading "Kanban in Action" by Marcus Hammarberg and Joakim Sundén.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #287 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 08:36:36 »

Recently read "Digital Minimalism" by Cal Newport, now reading "Deep Work" by the same author.

How are you enjoying it? Been thinking about getting a copy of either.

Currently reading Psycho-cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz and Breath by James Nestor. Both really interesting but Breath is falling off a bit in the second half, for me atleast.

Next pick ups are When breath becomes air and The almanack of naval Radikant :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 14:36:47 »
Just got done with Based On A True Story by Norm Macdonald. It is so odd that never having met the man, still not a day goes by I don't think about his passing.

Offline iri

« Reply #289 on: Tue, 04 January 2022, 14:28:54 »
Macbeth

Hot take: Shakespeare sucks

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #290 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 00:41:09 »
Macbeth

Hot take: Shakespeare sucks

I heard he doesn't even write his own material.

Offline jennyluce

« Reply #291 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 00:02:08 »
I have heard alot about this book from my friends. is it really worth to read
 The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #292 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 08:24:08 »

Shakespeare sucks

Watching a live theater performance really brings those archaic words to life in a way that is much more satisfying than reading them.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 01:54:24 »

How are you enjoying it? Been thinking about getting a copy of either.

I do enjoy it, have yet to fully commit to some of the techniques for distancing and sorting out my own digital habits. If you're a person who knows how it was living before being "always connected", it makes you step back and think about the real necessity of our modern digital habits and how/why they've become so ingrained into our daily lives. We definitely over-use unnecessary technology, in some way or another, even if we don't see it as an issue.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #294 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 09:18:13 »
I recently dusted off Stephen King's "Skeleton Crew" after watching a short film on Youtube that some kid made. In the film the kid develops technology that allows him to live in VR without physical time constraints so, in essence, he's thousands of years old. The film reminded me of a short story in Skeleton Crew called "The Jaunt". The subject of how we perceive time fascinates me greatly. I recommend watching the film and reading the story, if you're into that kind of sci-fi alt-world-in-your-mind kind of stuff.
Here's the short film:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 02:30:46 »
Homo Ludens
by Johan Huizinga
Just started, so not much to tell about it

Offline iri

« Reply #296 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 04:52:41 »
Marat Gabidullin's In the Same River Twice. Interesting topic, but it's a bit hard to read due to the author's clunky language (though not as bad as Shakespeare's).

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Tastenplatte

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 08:17:57 »
Bargaining for advantage, great book.

Offline sandywhite

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 10:12:50 »
Sapiens. A Brief History of Humankind

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 23 March 2022, 12:37:49 »
Sapiens. A Brief History of Humankind

Wow, hard to believe that it has been almost year since that was discussed.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80900.msg3051716#msg3051716