Author Topic: Soy Sauce..  (Read 4020 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Soy Sauce..
« on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 06:00:37 »
Your Thoughts ?

A Narcotic ?

Healthy o' Not ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Soy Sauce..
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 07:07:07 »
Possibly the best sauce in existence. After eating sushi, I tend up end up slowly spooning up and eating the rest. It is absolutely delicious. It's very healthy, as I recall (lots of antioxidants).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 08:40:26 »
There is a wide variety of soy sauces. In grocery stores where I live there are generally only two "types" printed on the labels though: "Japanese" and "Chinese", but that doesn't explain much.
In cooking shows from the UK, I've seen mention of "light" and "dark" soy sauce, which apparently matches the varieties in their grocery stores, but we don't have those here.

The last one I got labelled "Chinese" doesn't taste well IMHO and I can't pair it with much food.

The salt content can't be good. But there's Japanese "Tamari" which supposedly has less salt.
I believe the sauce we get in small cups at sushi places sometimes is sweetened with sugar.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 09:11:51 »
I prefer Japanese style (shoyu) and generally buy low-sodium (which still has plenty of salt in it).

My son developed celiac disease a decade ago so we switched over to tamari and I have been buying that ever since. In the US the most available brand is San-J and that is what I have gotten used to.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 09:13:10 »
I prefer Japanese style (shoyu) and generally buy low-sodium (which still has plenty of salt in it).

My son developed celiac disease a decade ago so we switched over to tamari and I have been buying that ever since. In the US the most available brand is San-J and that is what I have gotten used to.

Low_sodium is suspicious, kikkomen says they take the salt out AFTER it finishes its normal fermentation cycle at full salt.

How is this done ?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 10:38:08 »
Regular soy sauce seems like sewage drainage after trying sweet soy sauce!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 10:56:12 »
Regular soy sauce seems like sewage drainage after trying sweet soy sauce!

Ingredients
SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, SUGAR), SUGAR, SALTED SAKE (WATER, RICE, SALT), RICE SYRUP, WATER, SALT.

You can make that pretty easily.

According to the label, they just added 15.5g of sugar per 30ml (in the form of rice syrup), which accounts for most of the change, the rest is probably a spoonful of sake.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 14:55:24 »
Ok I need to add Sweet Soy to my pantry, love Soy Sauce but I do tend to lean towards the lower sodium as it carries a better flavor of the sauce vs the heavy salt in most I have tried (even though I do love it as well).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 15:54:18 »
Ok I need to add Sweet Soy to my pantry, love Soy Sauce but I do tend to lean towards the lower sodium as it carries a better flavor of the sauce vs the heavy salt in most I have tried (even though I do love it as well).

Take soy sauce, put sugar in it 15g per 30ml, microwave, add a spoonful of sake or any wine that's not bitter, and you've got it.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 17:18:45 »
I was going to ask which type of wine, but sourcing sake would be easier lol. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 18:21:25 »

Low_sodium is suspicious, kikkomen says they take the salt out AFTER it finishes its normal fermentation cycle at full salt.

How is this done ?

Show Image

https://new.marshallscientific.com/Hermle-Z216-MK-Refrigerated-Centrifuge-w-COMBI-R-p/Z216-K-CMB.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6NmHBhD2ARIsAI3hrM0vjfO5RmmM_ifqujEzbtI9fWZ-bhXJJqFsBJNiMolhJPa9JxtTVNcaAjWcEALw_wcB

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 18:45:32 »

SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, SALT, SUGAR), SUGAR, SALTED SAKE (WATER, RICE, SALT), RICE SYRUP, WATER, SALT

Isn't this getting very close to Teriyaki sauce?

When I make Teriyaki I use rice wine and/or rice wine vinegar, plus garlic and ginger (which I strain out after a while). And I cut down on the sweetener quite a bit.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 20:16:52 »

How is this done ?

Show Image

Centrifuge

Are you sure ?, wouldn't this mess with all the other solids ?

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 20:29:59 »

How is this done ?

Show Image

Centrifuge

Are you sure ?, wouldn't this mess with all the other solids ?

I was playing.  It would be a fun experiment, but would possibly ruin the product.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 July 2021, 20:43:41 »
Pagin' Chyros, how kikkoman remove dat salt ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 03:15:23 »
Pagin' Chyros, how kikkoman remove dat salt ?
Centrifuging would work if soy sauce was a suspension, but I kind of doubt that. If they centrifuged it, I guess the idea is to take off the supernatant and dilute the rest, but that seems like a weird way to do it.

My guess is reverse osmosis, which would be way easier to begin with.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 05:30:27 »
Centrifuging would work if soy sauce was a suspension, but I kind of doubt that. If they centrifuged it, I guess the idea is to take off the supernatant and dilute the rest, but that seems like a weird way to do it.

So they filter, then reblend the rest ?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 08:43:56 »

So they filter, then reblend the rest ?

Filter, dilute, homogenise.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 09:25:28 »

My guess is reverse osmosis

But what else would be left behind, besides the salt? Isn't it the bouquet of trace components that create the deliciousness? Those must be larger and more complex molecules than simple little salt.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 13:24:22 »

My guess is reverse osmosis

But what else would be left behind, besides the salt? Isn't it the bouquet of trace components that create the deliciousness? Those must be larger and more complex molecules than simple little salt.
Exactly, that's the principle by which selective membranes work. So if you use a membrane of an appropriate pore size or affinity, you could push out the salt but not the other compounds.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 July 2021, 13:26:38 by chyros »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline yui

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 July 2021, 14:49:50 »
my new favorite sauce is black sweet soy sauce, the thick fermented kind, bought it by mistake once, now can't live without it, the bottle only says "Black Soy Sauce" and "Healthy Boy Brand" so finding it online might prove a challenge (i have not tried to be fair). although still use salty soy sauce to salt asian inspired foods.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 15:55:59 »
a friend made me go to a sushi restaurant the other day and try sushi. no way i could've eaten the sushi without the soy sauce.
my vote is on soy sauce = amazing.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 July 2021, 17:30:54 »
I love it, add it to anything I cook:)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Asininity

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 13:30:05 »
Soy sauce is delicious. Kroger has a very affordable self-branded barrel made one.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 13:38:33 »
I posted this link last week, but didn't get any comments. Nobody else is even mentioning tamari, but you should give it a taste test, at least.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-16095/5-reasons-to-use-tamari-instead-of-soy-sauce.html

Offline Asininity

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 14:22:28 »
I posted this link last week, but didn't get any comments. Nobody else is even mentioning tamari, but you should give it a taste test, at least.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-16095/5-reasons-to-use-tamari-instead-of-soy-sauce.html

I'll take cheap tamari over cheap soy sauce. Even though they're similar I don't think they're always interchangeable and both have a place and use.

This isn't really a knock against the linked article but I found it interesting that it knocks MSG. Both soy sauce and tamari are known for their savory umami flavor which is due to glutamates. MSG is short for monosodium glutamate, which is one of the most common widely known examples of the umami flavor.