Author Topic: New guy here looking for some input  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Ron-Short

New guy here looking for some input
« on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 12:36:52 »
Hello everyone. I am looking to build my first real custom keyboard. My current keyboard is a drop alt V1 with box jades. I got an assortment of switches via milk tooth looking to see if I could find any other switches. I liked more than the clicky I keep coming back to liking the clicky switch, and from the research, I find box jades are still a highly rated switch.

My question is if I知 going to build a custom board with box jades in mind then what should I be looking for in a board? For example, should I be looking for specific types or plate materials?

Am I correct in thinking of the alt as a solid top mount?

Right now I知 looking at the mode sonnet and envoy, as well as the tofu and taco from KBD fans.

I知 also thinking about building a a numpad too

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input and if there痴 else that they should be posted instead I apologize in advance.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: New guy here looking for some input
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 November 2023, 23:58:41 »
Welcome to geekhack.

For clickies you should use a metal plate like aluminium (which is my personal recommendation) at least when it to customs. The clicks feel far more solid which is what I feel most people want with clickies + sound more crispy.

For mounting, most mounting styles should be fine for a keyboard, but the best board I ever tried with clickies was top mount which would make the switches far more solid feeling compared to o ring mount so maybe that could be what you are looking for (if you want to know the board, it was a duck lightsaver v3 with box jades, but you would have to go to the aftermarket for that one, and any other duck boards)

also the drop alt is a tray mount as the screws are fastened into mounting points from what I'm aware.

I have heard the mode boards are alright, and would personally not get anything from kbdfans, I've had issues with quality control (even if it was a minor thing) along with hearing many other negative things that I have heard so I can't really tell you anything about them.

Hope this helps you :)

Offline funkmon

Re: New guy here looking for some input
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 November 2023, 11:14:32 »
Hello everyone. I am looking to build my first real custom keyboard. My current keyboard is a drop alt V1 with box jades. I got an assortment of switches via milk tooth looking to see if I could find any other switches. I liked more than the clicky I keep coming back to liking the clicky switch, and from the research, I find box jades are still a highly rated switch.

My question is if I知 going to build a custom board with box jades in mind then what should I be looking for in a board? For example, should I be looking for specific types or plate materials?

Am I correct in thinking of the alt as a solid top mount?

Right now I知 looking at the mode sonnet and envoy, as well as the tofu and taco from KBD fans.

I知 also thinking about building a a numpad too

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input and if there痴 else that they should be posted instead I apologize in advance.

Q: Why not try a full size if you're building a numpad?