Author Topic: [IC] GMK CYL Scáthach - Updating Vendor List!  (Read 9825 times)

Offline willyumi

[IC] GMK CYL Scáthach - Updating Vendor List!
« on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 09:12:25 »

GMK CYL Scáthach

This set was inspired by the shadowy mythological Scottish warrior, Scáthach (skah-hah) from a certain Japanese franchise.

Interest Check Form
Please check out the Interest Check Form! The more engagement we have with the form will determine whether we feel ready to move to GB.

Kitting

Base

This 151-key base kit covers all standard layouts from full size to 60% with extra spacebars and some 40s support built-in.

Novelties

Short and sweet. An 11-key novelty set that embodies the Warrior Maid in the Fortress of Shadows. Designed by OCM.
R1 novs are her decorations that adorn her thighs. R3 enter nov is her iconic spear. R4 are the pauldrons and some generic geomteric shapes.

Deskmat

This wouldn't be complete without a deskmat depicting her spear in all of its might. Also designed by yours truly, OCM.

Colors

Samples under direct sunlight.

Samples under indirect sunlight.

4 custom colors were chosen for this set from the RAL Design series.
I based the color choices off of RAL A6 paper and plastic plates that I've purchased, which will also be used for color matching the plastics.
All RAL paper and plastic plates were color matched to official source merch plastics and artbook.
The colors will not be disclosed at this time to deter cloners.

Vendors

Regional Vendors
CA: Deskhero
UK: ProtoTypist
AU: Daily Clack
CN: zFrontier
Other vendors have been contacted!

Collabs

HIBI!
Waiting on responses from other makers!

Renders

Join our Discord for more updates!

Special Thanks
All the goo goos for the endless AYCE and support
OG weeb cave boys + lube goblin for the feedback
OCM for the lit novs and deskmat
Kingk22 for the renders

Updates

21JUN2023 - Took some time to look at alternate mod colors via RAL.
Searching for a more saturated color according to feedback received on IC.
Ordered the chip and awaiting arrival on 27JUN2023.

26JUN2023
- The RAL chip I chose is in! I took a picture of it in indirect sunlight,
will post pictures once I can get more direct sun tomorrow.
Will post it side by side to the current mod color to compare!

« Last Edit: Wed, 28 June 2023, 00:00:10 by willyumi »

Offline willyumi

Re: [IC] GMK CYL Scáthach
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 09:13:56 »
Reserved

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 09:16:07 »
icon mods pls

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 09:29:36 »
What anime is this secretly based on

Offline hunos

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 09:35:26 »
why use weeb subs instead of runic

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 09:58:03 »
gooooood point

Offline willyumi

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:06:13 »

Scáthach is Irish so it would be Irish subs. And the only ones that GMK provides are pad printed atm.

edit: Correction on her as a Scottish figure and the subs I was referring to as colloquially "Irish" is actually US-Int.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2023, 02:06:38 by willyumi »

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:08:41 »
I think this is a really big miss when it comes to encapsulating Scathach into a keycap set. I'm not sure if this is just the renders, because you are not providing the color codes so I can't verify where you're coming from, but the colors seem to be really washed out compared to what the character looks like. The best part of 'weeb' sets is being able to make a good novelties, and this kit is lacking that, I love the stuff you have so far but we need more quantity as well, adding more 1u keys in different rows will not increase the price of the kit as much as you think it will.  Adding in runic subs would do better for this set's theme as well more than weeb subs.

Color picking ur waifu isn't hard
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:13:28 by Bachoo »

Offline codog

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:09:22 »
What anime is this secretly based on

fate, really boring actually.

Offline yuukou_

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 10:17:43 »
I like the colors on this a lot, very bingsu esque, also lowkey reminds me of my favorite current honkai star rail waifu: Kafka

Offline Sepharis

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 13:29:20 »
Scáthach is Irish so it would be Irish subs. And the only ones that GMK provides are pad printed atm.

Twice you've called Scáthach Irish, Scáthach is in the ulster cycle of Irish mythology but is herself Scottish, she lived on the Isle of Skye.

With regards to the set itself, I think the colours look more muted than a set based on anime would make you think, I'm not an expert on this kind of thing but for Scáthach I can't help but compare this to for instance the colour palette used on her FGO x seiko watch. I feel leaning heavier into a deep purple Gives it a little more "oomph" so to speak.

Like the concept though, I think it could come out very nice.

Offline katsuu

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 13:57:36 »
I pretty sure many of Fate-knowledgeable peeps/enthusiasts already spoke what i feel want to say about Shishou.
I can vaguely see the alphas representing her hair wine red color, but the modifiers' color doesn't seem connect with any of her ascensions (i personally go for black modifier if her 1-3rd ascension, purple mod if piercing bunny related)

I can't really see what are novelties trying to express, there's alotsa thing going on. If i'm deciding to buy a gmk set, novelties will eventually accommodate the introduction of the keycap set itself. If you going deeper for nasuverse route instead of regular ulster lore, could try make it more relevant.

This IC i'm afraid will have to wait more revision/s before starting GB phase, it needs more lore-telling along the design process. I'm privately planning to debut shishoupad and hopefully it can deserve suitable keycap set to be paired with.

Offline cram56

Re: [IC] GMK CYL Scáthach - Updating Vendor List!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 19:45:23 »
how do I uninterest myself from an IC, can I downvote?

Offline keepoto

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 June 2023, 20:23:44 »
As a random obscure sublegend enjoyer (but not a fate enjoyer), pls run this with Ogham subs
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 June 2023, 20:26:10 by keepoto »

Offline willyumi

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 00:34:54 »
Hey, everyone! It's almost the end of the first day for the IC and I've taken all the feedback into consideration and updated the IC accordingly.
I updated the colors section with the RAL A6 samples used for colormatching the official products to provide better visual clarification.
Current picture is of the samples with indirect sunlight. I'll be taking images of the samples in sunlight to give you all a better depiction of the color range.

Also I want to thank everyone for the critiques and feedback. Please keep them coming and fill out the IC form so that I can better revise this set and IC.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 June 2023, 07:41:58 by willyumi »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 18:49:38 »

I don’t think GMK has ever done actual Irish layout yet, which is the UK layout with accented vowels. The sub legends you might be thinking of are US International layout, which is widely used in the Netherlands, not Ireland.

Offline willyumi

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 02:12:13 »
I don’t think GMK has ever done actual Irish layout yet, which is the UK layout with accented vowels. The sub legends you might be thinking of are US International layout, which is widely used in the Netherlands, not Ireland.

Thanks for the correction, friend. I updated my reply earlier in response.

As for updates on the IC, I went ahead and posted the RAL A6 samples under direct and indirect sunlight exposure. The vendor list is slowly growing as responses are rolling in.
I appreciate the engagement with the IC and will look over the recent responses and feedback on both here, the forms, and Reddit tonight.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2023, 02:35:09 by willyumi »

Offline udller

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 06:42:26 »
this just reminds me of bingsu with plum modifiers.

i had to read all the comments to figure out its based on a anime.

Offline blakstealth

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 08:13:39 »
What is CYL? some GMK variant?

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 15:14:39 »
traditional cherry cylindric profile, renamed after the release of MTNU.
idk who thought it could sound any good but it seems it's there to stay

pls get rid of sublegends and consider doing icon mods.

Offline blakstealth

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 21:10:47 »
traditional cherry cylindric profile, renamed after the release of MTNU.
idk who thought it could sound any good but it seems it's there to stay

Ah, okay. I just watched a video about that new profile today. Thanks.

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 22:42:41 »
I'm a weeb and I like the colors, but my FGO knowledge is basically zero, so I'll defer to the others on whether or not it represents the characters. A quick look at the Type Moon wiki makes me think you would want to go more saturated, but I've got no idea what the official merch is like.

I would say, re: cloning, they're not matching to any sort of physical sample or anything. They're gonna grab the hex code from your renders and do whatever. For example, years later, the vast majority of Darling clones still are nowhere close on the colors.

this just reminds me of bingsu with plum modifiers.

i had to read all the comments to figure out its based on a anime.

Only so many colorways under the sun that are pleasing to the human eye. Very little running these days isn't at least somewhat similar to other sets, so a bit of a *shrug* for me.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 23:11:00 »
dunno looks enough like scathach to me

show the figure coward
I love Elzy

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 18 June 2023, 07:46:34 »
Why are there japanese sublegends for something that based off something nice? Colours are alright, base kit seems fine enough GLWIC

Also why is CYL the name for the cherry profile caps that's like why wouldn't that be the name of the new gmk moulds.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 18 June 2023, 09:58:46 »
Also why is CYL the name for the cherry profile caps that's like why wouldn't that be the name of the new gmk moulds.

The standard GMK molds are Cherry profile, which is cylindrical.  The new MTNU profile is spherical.  GMK is adding "CYL" for their standard profile since "Cherry" can't be used commercially.

GMK's standard Cherry profile has long been known as just "GMK" so I wouldn't suddenly tack on "CYL".  And I think "MTNU" alone would be best for the new profile, since GMK will be the sole manufacturer.  But it's not up to me.

Offline willyumi

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 June 2023, 00:12:12 »
Based off this thread's feedback, I went ahead and extrapolated that this set is based on the Scáthach as she is represented in a certain Japanese franchise and not just purely the figure in Irish mythology. Sorry for any confusion, but I hope this clarification will help people better grasp the concept of the set.

As for the novelties, I also went further into detail for regarding symbolism and choices for the novelties.

I am still going through the IC at the moment and I'm making sure I hear everyone out. Please keep sharing and continue to fill out the IC to express what you like and what you would want out of this set.

dunno looks enough like scathach to me

show the figure coward

I have to hide my power levels... Sorry, Sifo...

Offline Evasive

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 June 2023, 10:47:50 »
Does GMK do runic sublegends similar to epbt skadi? Would prefer that over hiragana or even just latin alphas over hiragana sublegends.

Offline willyumi

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 June 2023, 22:55:12 »
Hello everyone! Just a bit of an update for the current status of the IC. I went ahead and chose a more saturated mod color to test out based off the feedback given in the IC.

I'll be taking pictures of the current color mod side by side to the new potential color once I have more sun.

The update log can be viewed on the main post. If you're interested in more live updates and interactions, join the Discord server!

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 11:09:36 »
please have latin alpha for base, hiragana looks terrible

Offline Furki

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 July 2023, 15:09:22 »

I second this. These subs make no sense and icon mods >> text icon