Author Topic: Making Cherry MX browns sexy?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline ShivaYash

Making Cherry MX browns sexy?
« on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 17:20:07 »
Hello,

Is there anyway I can make Cherry MX Browns sexy? They just seem like a nothing switch to me. I started with them many years ago, and at the time, thought they were amazing, but now, having tried many types, I almost dislike them.

I like heavy switches, so if there was a way to make these Browns heavier, and perhaps a little smoother, that would be great.

Hopefully not an impossible request.

Thanks,
SY
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
Re: Making Cherry MX browns sexy?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 17:22:17 »
Have you tried Cherry MX clear? It's heavier and has a more pronounced tactile bump than browns.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 18:41:48 »
Well you could always put a heavier spring in the browns but the tactile bump will still be pitiful.  In fact it might seem even more pitiful because while the absolute magnitude may stay the same the relative force of the bump compared to how much force you're applying will go down.

But more importantly, if you don't like browns why is that a problem?  Lot's of other switches to choose from: MX Clear, Zealios, Outemu purple, etc.

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 05:11:15 »
Well you could always put a heavier spring in the browns but the tactile bump will still be pitiful.  In fact it might seem even more pitiful because while the absolute magnitude may stay the same the relative force of the bump compared to how much force you're applying will go down.

But more importantly, if you don't like browns why is that a problem?  Lot's of other switches to choose from: MX Clear, Zealios, Outemu purple, etc.

Thanks for this, I have many, many boards.
I'm a massive fan of Topre and IBM BS, and Cherry Greens.
I think perhaps I have a slight romantic emotion attached to this board, its a full sized Filco, and it was my first. I have clearly outgrown Browns. BUT this particular board is wearing a rather nice set of WYSE Terminal double shots, and is pretty. But it might be time to simply let go. I really want to try white Alps and prefer TKL. 
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 03:16:17 »
MX Browns. I never really got them, either. Crunch, crunch. A click you can feel but not hear? So you know you've pressed a key? But if you type with any kind of speed, by the time you realize you've pressed one key, you've already pressed five more. So the point being...?

At the very least, you can get out your Browns board now and then and type on it for a while to help you appreciate your other boards.  :?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 05:26:18 »
I like them better in the Kinesis which has curved key wells than I do in a flat keyboard.
Maybe you could build a Dactyl -- which also has curved key wells and which is sexy with any switch.

There is no way to mod a Brown switch to feel better, without making it something else than Browns.
The best browns IMHO are Gateron Silent Brown: has internal damping which does not impede key travel, and is slightly (very little) more tactile, slightly more stable and slightly smoother than original Cherry MX Brown while also being inexpensive.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 05:52:18 »
Add thick lube (grease Krytox) and keep the stock weight or replace it with a Korean 55-65g spring. If you don't like that, then Browns just aren't for you.

The tactility is supposed to be unobtrustive. I can't quite explain it, but there's something nice about it to me. Like less aggressive Clears.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 06:24:32 »
Cherry MX Brown look down right gorgeous in a trash can.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 07:06:02 »
The best way to make MX browns better, I've found, is to take them out, throw the keyboard in the bin, and buy a keyboard with better switches. It works wonders!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 07:18:17 »
The best way to make MX browns better, I've found, is to take them out, throw the keyboard in the bin, and buy a keyboard with better switches. It works wonders!
This is what I wanted to say.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:06:21 »
The best way to make Cherry MX Brown better is not to buy them in the first place.......