Author Topic: Got a Type Heaven - review and questions  (Read 24261 times)

Offline keyjay

Re: Got a Type Heaven - review and questions
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 02:49:17 »
Maybe I come from MX Red so I actually find it has MORE resistance.  Though I use MX Brown at work but I still find Topre has slightly more resistance.

One odd thing I notice is that does anyone else find the keycap feels a bit.... rubbery?  Like it's almost as if it's rubber coated but I'm not too sure.

I would love to see an actual meter reading on the resistance between the two. I could swear the Topres are considerably softer. Maybe it's the fact that I had put o-rings under my Browns and they therefore had a shorter travel path before "bottoming out" and thus giving resistance? I would still bet money these Topres are softer though. (Not a lot, but I'd bet.)

So far, I like the Topres more each day that use them. It certainly still takes a lot of getting used to. And I do actually feel as if the "sports car" phenomenon might be at play here -- it seems very plausible that it's so fine of an instrument that it will take time to develop the feel and skill with which to properly make optimal use of it, and until then I will be a bit rough in the handling of it. It seems the "softer" feel requires a more skilled hand. Maybe I'm crazy. Time will tell. I'm noticing that when I'm in the zone typing away it's starting to go really smoothly with minimal errors or grinding of the gears -- uh, missing of the keys.

I tried going back to my Browns a couple weeks ago and it lasted about a minute.

So, we'll see.

That rubbery feel was something I noticed when I first got it and was exploring it but I haven't given it a second thought since. It's that textured surface that's causing that sensation. Rub a fingernail across it and you'll see how course the surface is. I'm sure that's to help avoid slipping, and I'm sure it does serve that purpose effectively. (Hopefully it will also slow down the inevitable wearing off of the lettering that's characteristic of this kind of plastic and lettering.)

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 03:47:36 »
Just got my Type Heaven a couple of days back, but it isn't my only Topre board, there was a price reduction here in my neck of the woods.....the new price is like what I'd pay if I were to order it from the US and have it shipped here in Asia, plus I'd lose out on warranty.  I also have a set of blue PBT key caps handy, which further fueled the urge to try the Type Heaven. Got, and though I love the gold on black print key caps, it was still ABS and I wanted the PBT's for a more premium feel. Here's a pic, when I'd just started swapping out its key caps...

Offline keyjay

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:00:11 »
I have a few keycaps that would go to a RealForce, meaning they're PBT. They do feel harder and more "premium" quality than the ABS on the Type Heaven, and I do understand that many people generally regard the PBT as "better", but I did read somewhere or other that a good percent of people prefer the "softer" feel of the ABS (at least until they begin showing wear). I can't compare the typing feel since I've never used a board with PBTs and only have the Type Heaven. I can say, though, that on dragging my fingernail across the surface of the keys on the Type Heaven and then across the surface of the keycaps I have on hand for a RealForce, the ones for the Type Heaven have a more distinct roughness to the texture. That's "out of the box" though, and that may of course be a short-lived situation since, for all I know, the fact that they're ABS may mean it will start wearing down over time and may not take all that long to be obvious. In fact, well, it's hard to be certain but I dare say this already seems to be happening on my Type Heaven -- the keys with heavy usage are "apparently" smoother than the keys with little or almost no usage, and I've only had it about a month.

EDIT:
Having said that, they still feel perfectly fine and I wouldn't have noticed anything if I wasn't comparing the various keys. And it may still be rougher than the PBTs (I'm moving and don't know where I put them). The purpose the texture serves seems to still be fully intact, for now at least. Overall, I still like this keyboard a lot.

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:06:47 by keyjay »

Offline keyjay

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 01:50:32 »
I tried going back to my Cherry Browns board again. It lasted about sixty seconds. I swapped right back to the Type Heaven and am much happier with it than with the Browns (and I really liked the Browns for a long time).

And I'm still willing to be bet money that the Topre keys on this Type Heaven require less force than the Browns. At least it sure feels that way to me, but, again, maybe it's the o-rings on my Browns that have me hitting hard resistance sooner. Or maybe it's the fact that I have to deal with much longer travel with the Topres and therefore am hitting them very differently. (Maybe I need to compare to a Browns board that does not have o-rings, which I may do as soon as I have the next hundred and change burning a hole in my pocket that I feel I need to do something with -- which will cost me less than the time it would take to remove the o-rings from one of my current Browns boards.)

And I'm getting much more proficient with the Type Heaven as I get more experienced with it. (I may even be ready for some drag racing before much longer.)

Offline keyjay

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 02:18:43 »
Well, I did a very crude test. I held the Browns board upside down above the Type Heaven board and placed a Sharpie marker (cap intact) between the H keys on both boards and moved them together slowly to see which H key would depress first. Then I reversed the two keyboards: I placed the Browns board on the desktop and held the Type Heaven upside down above it with the Sharpie between them against the H keys and tried that.

It looks like a draw.

In both cases, the H key on the board on the desktop depressed first -- and recovered first when moving the boards away from each other after the keys were depressed. It seems the slight weight of the Sharpie was enough to tip the scales with both boards, meaning they must be darned close to having the exact same actuation force (well, "force to depress the keys", regardless of where the actual "actuation point" might be on each).

Interesting.

I still feel that the Topres are softer, or that I can bang away at them much longer with much less fatigue. And I'm looking forward to becoming as proficient with them as I became with the Browns after using them a while. My proficiency keeps improving and it keeps feeling more natural and familiar with time -- and keeps feeling nicer than the Browns.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 09:30:24 »
I have compared my Type Heaven to my girlfriend's Leopold FC660C, and I conclude that PBT keycaps definitely feels better and quieter.

It has a deeper lower thock that I like.  I guess now we have to wait and see if Topre/EK will release more Topre keycap set later.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 09:56:38 »
I have compared my Type Heaven to my girlfriend's Leopold FC660C, and I conclude that PBT keycaps definitely feels better and quieter.

It has a deeper lower thock that I like.  I guess now we have to wait and see if Topre/EK will release more Topre keycap set later.
Yep, that's true, the stock ABS key caps generates a higher pitched thock than PBTs. In the midst of swapping out the key caps, I tried tapping on the stock key caps and the PBT ones at the same time, there was definitely a difference in the sound. I might also like to add that the 'feel' was different between ABS and PBT key caps....

Offline keyjay

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 15:18:43 »

Yep, that's true, the stock ABS key caps generates a higher pitched thock than PBTs. In the midst of swapping out the key caps, I tried tapping on the stock key caps and the PBT ones at the same time, there was definitely a difference in the sound. I might also like to add that the 'feel' was different between ABS and PBT key caps....

So, can we assume you prefer the feel of the PBT caps over the ABS caps now that you've changed them and have used both? Assuming it's a yes, do you find it to be a considerable improvement? Or not so much?

And may I ask if you know where one can obtain a full set of black PBT caps for a full-sized Type Heaven layout that has the same layout that the Type Heaven came with?

Offline keyjay

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 23:47:26 »
Well, after about two months of using the Type Heaven at home and at the office...

... I have reverted back to my Browns (with o-rings) and I think this is where I'm gonna be staying. I just never got used to the Topre keys -- they just didn't have the tight, crisp feel of the Browns. I also learned that if fatigue is the issue that hitting the keys more lightly is probably a more reasonable approach, if it can be learned, than moving from Browns to Topres.

It's all individual preference, of course, so I'm just sharing my experience. And I reserve the right to change my mind in the future. I don't think I will, though. I'm much more accurate with the Browns and I don't know that there's any noticeable difference in fatigue. Even if there is, it's a wash in light of the less work it takes for being quick and accurate with the Browns.

I think...

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 21:05:01 »
Like you had stated, it's down to individual e preference......at least, if you don't go back to Topre, there's no looking back and wondering what if since you've already tried Topre. For me, I can't get enough of Topre, waiting for the local distributer to get stock of the 55G 87U, then I'd be all over that like a bad rash. :p If the FC660C comes in first, I might just go with that since I love the layout on my FC660M.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 15:11:02 »
I just got a my Type Heaven in about an hour ago.  This is my first Topre board, I am coming from years of using scissor switches at work (Apple Aluminum) and at home I switch around but mainly have been using a QFR with Reds.  I really wanted to try the Topre switch so ordered it from Amazon (EK is still seller). 

First thing I did after about 30 seconds of typing, flip the spacebar!  Ever since I did that on my other keyboards I have gotten so used to it that a regular spacebar really digs into my thumb.

Now - I have to say I really like the way the board feels so far.  Even though this and the Reds are 45g, these feel very crisp to type on.  It is almost like they have a nice snap to them but the actuation feel of force also seems a little higher.  I have heard that Topre boards may need to break in a little bit.  I also like these keycaps.  Granted I have never typed on PBT, but for ABS these feel very nice.  they have this rubberized texture to them that was alluded to in the review above and it feels nice.  They are very grippy.  This board has the "thock" I was looking for as well after listening to videos online.  It may not be as deep as a PBT keyed board, but I dont have a reference for that.  I wanted to bring this keyboard to work if I like it and that thock will help things along except for below:

I do have one gripe and once again it is the spacebar and I have heard this can be a problem with the other boards.  It is LOUD on the upstroke pop.  When it bottoms out it has as very dissatisfying sound to it.  On downstroke all the keys sound good, but the spacebar has an odd sound down and that loud pop/crack when it bottoms out on the upstroke.  Is there a way to quiet the spacebar?  Is it the switch bottoming out on the upstroke making the noise?  Can I stuff the spacebar with anything?  I have o-rings from my other boards handy but the sound isnt from bottoming out (well most the objectionable sound isnt).

Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 17:24:16 »
I just got a my Type Heaven in about an hour ago.  This is my first Topre board, I am coming from years of using scissor switches at work (Apple Aluminum) and at home I switch around but mainly have been using a QFR with Reds.  I really wanted to try the Topre switch so ordered it from Amazon (EK is still seller). 

First thing I did after about 30 seconds of typing, flip the spacebar!  Ever since I did that on my other keyboards I have gotten so used to it that a regular spacebar really digs into my thumb.

Now - I have to say I really like the way the board feels so far.  Even though this and the Reds are 45g, these feel very crisp to type on.  It is almost like they have a nice snap to them but the actuation feel of force also seems a little higher.  I have heard that Topre boards may need to break in a little bit.  I also like these keycaps.  Granted I have never typed on PBT, but for ABS these feel very nice.  they have this rubberized texture to them that was alluded to in the review above and it feels nice.  They are very grippy.  This board has the "thock" I was looking for as well after listening to videos online.  It may not be as deep as a PBT keyed board, but I dont have a reference for that.  I wanted to bring this keyboard to work if I like it and that thock will help things along except for below:

I do have one gripe and once again it is the spacebar and I have heard this can be a problem with the other boards.  It is LOUD on the upstroke pop.  When it bottoms out it has as very dissatisfying sound to it.  On downstroke all the keys sound good, but the spacebar has an odd sound down and that loud pop/crack when it bottoms out on the upstroke.  Is there a way to quiet the spacebar?  Is it the switch bottoming out on the upstroke making the noise?  Can I stuff the spacebar with anything?  I have o-rings from my other boards handy but the sound isnt from bottoming out (well most the objectionable sound isnt).

Was the unpleasantness before or after you flipped the space bar?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:32:04 »
Both for the sound.  I guess "unpleasant" is a little harsh but it is definitely the loudest sound by far.  I want to try and dampen the sound so it sounds closer to the other keys.  Typed on it quite a bit last night and I like it so far.  I do all typing, zero gaming. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:33:03 »
Both for the sound.  I guess "unpleasant" is a little harsh but it is definitely the loudest sound by far.  I want to try and dampen the sound so it sounds closer to the other keys.  Typed on it quite a bit last night and I like it so far.  I do all typing, zero gaming. 

Did you try the spacebar without the spring?

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:35:24 »

No I havent.  I thought the extra spring was required under there.  I will give that a shot shortly.  I will also say removing keys on this Topre boards seems much harder than any of my other keyboards.  It took a lot more force than I expected.  I removed both Alt keys first so I could get more room around the space bar, they were all hard to remove!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:42:39 »

No I havent.  I thought the extra spring was required under there.  I will give that a shot shortly.  I will also say removing keys on this Topre boards seems much harder than any of my other keyboards.  It took a lot more force than I expected.  I removed both Alt keys first so I could get more room around the space bar, they were all hard to remove!

Yeah be careful removing the spacebar you don't want to break the stabilizers. It is best to lift up on both sides at the same time with slight pressure and sort of rock it till it comes loose.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:55:54 »
The sound of the spacebar bothered me a lot at first, but I got used to it and stopped noticing it really soon. It actually surprised me because I'm usually sensitive to distractions when I'm working.

On my Browns boards I put foam inside the spacebars and that helped a lot. I cut lengths in rectangular shape to fit in the open spaces of the spacebar snugly. Worked really well.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:40:54 »
Just an update.  I took the aux spring out of the spacebar and left it flipped.  The sound is dead on perfect now.  I actually prefer the sounds of the spacebar over the other keys after doing that.  It has a great, deep "thock" and zero rattle at the top.  The others sound kind of hollow now. 

I really like this keyboard.  I like it so much I may sell off a couple of my Cherry boards now.  The keys just feel a lot more stable and I like the force curve when typing vs, my other boards.  The closest feeling one that I use often would be my BS board.  It just makes way too much noise to use much so I may try to mod that with dental floss soon.

Still have issues getting the spacebar off, I swear it felt like it was going to snap when pulling up from the sides.  I had to wedge a credit card under the middle and pry it up while pulling on the opposite side.

Offline SNF

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 05:01:26 »
Cool review  :thumb:

Seems like more & more people are getting the Type Heaven boards

Offline keyjay

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 20:44:45 »
Well, being the thread starter here, I feel obligated to share this update.

I have to be honest.  I am now totally in love, and dare say that I am now in what I feel has every likelihood of being a genuine, committed relationship for a long time to come...

...but it's with my original Browns boards with o-rings!

Yep. I was going back and forth between the two, and gradually the contrast got bigger and bigger to where there was no comparison. I can type way faster, more accurately, and easily on the Browns with o-rings!

I don't like the Topres at all anymore in comparison.

I guess for me it's good that I found out, just so I wasn't always wondering. It took the contrast to help me really appreciate the Browns with o-rings even much more than I already had before.

I keep spelling out "Browns with o-rings" because I did not like the feel of the Browns all that much when I first got them -- well, I did but I didn't like the feel and sound of the bottom of the stroke -- and soon opted for adding o-rings to try them that way, which I preferred far better right off the bat. Since it's not easy to just take them off once they're installed, and since I've had no reason or desire to, I can't remember what it was like using the Browns without o-rings and therefore cannot properly compare that to the Topres. It might have been interesting to try Topres with o-rings but I'm not all that motivated and from what I've seen it's not realistic.

Offline tbc

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 15:15:16 »
that's interesting....i guess that means i would LOVE topres lol.  I've always thought 'mx brown' was a typo for 'mx feces' lol
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline bored117

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 11:26:00 »
Just curious, I am in process of modifying Type Heaven to silence it some what.

Rubber band (1/16 inch thickness) actuated few keys... so I am assuming actuation point might be shallower than other topre board people had experience with.  Going to make rubber gasket that is thinner and see if that works.

In the mean time, when I looked at back of PCB, it had 4 DIP switch soldering pad. (not used)  Wondering if it was just an act of cost saving and only missing thing is the cut out from keyboard and the actual DIP switch?  I wouldn't mind making cut on casing and soldering DIP switch so I can shut off windows key while gaming.