Author Topic: My thoughts on the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional  (Read 14535 times)

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
My thoughts on the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional
« on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:00:20 »
I recently purchased a used Happy Hacking keyboard for $180 off Ebay. I have had a few days to type on it and I'm writing this review with it.

Overview
The Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional (HHKB) is a Topre keyboard made by PFU. It is the predecessor of the HHKB Professional 2, the only difference being the addition of a USB hub within the keyboard. The model I have is the off-white color with printed caps.

First Impressions
The first thing I noticed about the keyboard is the very unique UNIX layout. This really separates it from other compact keyboards I've used. The Topre switches were a surprise for me. They are very different from any other mechanical or membrane keyboard I've used. I do not prefer them more or less than Cherry MX switches, but they feel nice to use.

Features
The HHKB has many desirable features that I believe classify it as a "high end" keyboard.
  • Topre keyswitch
  • PBT dye-sub keycaps
  • DIP switch
  • Solid body construction
The Topre keyswitch feels great to use. They provide an overall satisfying typing experience. There really is no way to compare the switch feel. People have said it is similar to ergo-clears or panda-clears but it feels very different to me. The keycaps are great quality. The lettering is very clear, the font looks nice, and the texturing of the keycaps feels good. The DIP switch is very useful as it allows you to change the keymaping. For example, I have changed Windows key to Fn and Delete to backspace. The case uses high quality plastic and a good design. It is very sturdy and I would have no problem throwing it in my backpack and taking it to classes.

Conclusion
The Happy Hacking Keyboard is a very solid board. There is nothing about it I don't like except that I would prefer blank caps. Whether it is worth the money is up to you, but I would highly recommend trying Topre before you decide.

TL;DR i like keyboard
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:51:10 by TheFlyingRaccoon »
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
Re: My thoughts on the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:03:51 »
5/5 Stars
It's a keyboard, what do you expect? Performs as advertised, all keys seem to produce the characters printed on them. What more could you want from a keyboard?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:05:55 »
10/10 best review 2013-20xx
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:30:28 »
HHK Pro one ^-^
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:35:25 »
Great review.  Would read again!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 23:39:39 »
Seriously though, I will write a real review tomorrow. I'm liking the Topre!

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:36:41 »
HHK Pro one ^-^
I have the Pro 2, but what's the difference between them? :confused:

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:01:57 »
HHK Pro one ^-^
I have the Pro 2, but what's the difference between them? :confused:
HHKB Pro one without USB port ^-^
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 03:54:18 »
Nice review ;)

For those who have used both, is there much difference in typing feel between HHKB Pro and HHKB Pro 2?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 14:16:19 »
This is a good review, I can't stop reading it
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 16:50:14 »
Review of the year right there.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:52:08 »
Expanded the review for those who wanted more than "i like keyboard"  :p

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 18:52:48 »
Expanded the review for those who wanted more than "i like keyboard"  :p
Thanks buddy!
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:40:08 »
A succinct writeup.

And you can get blank keycap set from EK.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 02:51:28 »
Raccoon,

Glad you like topre, buddy.

Welcome to the club.

Kangaroo~
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 03:09:46 »
Raccoon,

Welcome to the club.

Kangaroo~

Although this does mean more competition when Topre Clacks become available.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 03:13:51 »
Yeah, I mean. It's good. It's definitely not bad. Keyboard.

Hell of a review!
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 03:18:53 »
Raccoon,

Welcome to the club.

Kangaroo~

Although this does mean more competition when Topre Clacks become available.

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 August 2013, 03:26:13 by KangarooZombies »
Having a bad day?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 03:30:41 »
The HHKB has always been one of my favorite keyboards.  Primarily, because the HHKB layout is nearly perfect AFAIC.  The function layer is brilliant...I feel like I am missing functionality on more full size keyboards, compared to the HHKB layout, it is that well designed.

The Topre keyswitch operation is quite nice.  Even though it is not my #1 favorite switch, the combination with the HHKB layout puts the HHKB Pro easily in my top 3 all time favorite keyboards.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 07:07:46 »
The HHKB is my 2nd favorite board, I really like the layout and the type-feel...
The build quality is also nice, but it's a shame the spacebar is made of ABS, especially at that price!

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 August 2013, 12:38:14 »
The HHKB has always been one of my favorite keyboards.  Primarily, because the HHKB layout is nearly perfect AFAIC.  The function layer is brilliant...I feel like I am missing functionality on more full size keyboards, compared to the HHKB layout, it is that well designed.

The Topre keyswitch operation is quite nice.  Even though it is not my #1 favorite switch, the combination with the HHKB layout puts the HHKB Pro easily in my top 3 all time favorite keyboards.

I agree with this. I find my fingers never leaving the home row and I can still access every key. The arrow keys I found very nice. I hold down left diamond (Fn) with my left thumb and can use all the arrow keys with my right pinkie. And while Topre isn't my favorite switch, the layout really makes up for it like you said.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 00:16:53 »
Nice review ;)

For those who have used both, is there much difference in typing feel between HHKB Pro and HHKB Pro 2?

Just a little update. I now have a black HHKB Pro 2 and the only difference is the USB hub. Everything else, including the typing feel, is exactly the same.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 05:22:24 »
Yep, liked the charcoal grey HHKB Pro 2 that I had gotten a while back, liked it so much, went out today and got a used white Pro 2.....and while I was in the zone, grabbed myself a Type Heaven and swapped out its key caps with PBT ones.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:45:51 by PadawanGeek »

Offline morpheus

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 12:22:28 »
Yep, liked the charcoal grey HHKB Pro 2 that I had gotten a while back, liked it so much, went out today and got a used white Pro 2.....and while I was in the zone, grabbed myself a Type Heaven and swapped out its key caps with PBT ones...
Show Image

Ballin'.........

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:12:22 »
I would love to try Topre, but it would cost a lot of money so I have to decide on a board if I want Topre. Would this be good for someone just wanting to use it on the go, gaming, and papers? I don't really code, and I don't use Unix, but I do a lot of typing with lessons and papers.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline Sniping

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:25:07 »
I'd say that it's good for all of those things, pull the trigger!

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:29:46 »
I would love to try Topre, but it would cost a lot of money so I have to decide on a board if I want Topre. Would this be good for someone just wanting to use it on the go, gaming, and papers? I don't really code, and I don't use Unix, but I do a lot of typing with lessons and papers.

I don't code or use Unix either. I find it great for typing and gaming. The only problem that might occur with gaming is if any of the games you play require frequent use of the arrow keys or function keys. For typing it is a dream, all the keys are easily reachable and the switches have a nice typing feel. I take it with me to classes in a carrying case and it fits in my backpack well. If you like Topre, I think it would fit your needs well. I wouldn't recommend buying one at full price though. If you get a decent deal you could probably sell it for what you got it for if you end up not liking Topre.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:38:16 »
Well, you can also consider Leopold FC660C if dedicated arrow keys are a must. I'm typing this post with my FC660M, and I find it to be an excellent layout, the FC660C shares the same physical layout so it'd be good as well. Meanwhile, I can't say I'm displeased with my HHKB's, they're awesome for typing, excellent for gaming.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:40:12 »

FC660C would probably suit all of these, provided you don't rely on function keys too much.

HHKB is a bit of a shock for some people used to function keys and arrow keys.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 23:50:40 »

FC660C would probably suit all of these, provided you don't rely on function keys too much.

Still trying to convince me to get a FC660C? XD

I was used to my Poker X that I previously owned so having no function keys and the lack of arrow keys doesn't bother me too much. I find it helpful but simply holding the fn key and pressing whatever the arrow keys are on the HHKB Pro 2 wouldn't bother me much as I only use it to scroll up and down on the browser and on word/powerpoint. Control on CapsLock is the only thing that bothers me because I use capslock as backspace. I just have to get used to using a different key as backspace which isn't too much of a problem. If I don't like the HHKB Pro 2, I will probably sell it and settle for the FC660C. I am getting pretty headstrong on getting the HHKB Pro 2. I am mostly wondering as to the feel of Topre on FC660C and HHKB Pro 2 since one is case mounted and one is plate mounted. I am using reds now which are 45g where but I really like ergoclears 62g on my unusable Poker X. Just wondering if the 45g will feel more like the browns (which I don't like because I like my reds which differ from browns since browns [to me] feel like scratchy reds).
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:03:53 »
Yep, first time I'd used it, I was like, "WTH?! Where's the Fn key?" But, I'm getting the hang of it, hence my grabbing a 2nd one, albeit, used one but in excellent condition.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 00:42:45 »

Still trying to convince me to get a FC660C? XD

I was used to my Poker X that I previously owned so having no function keys and the lack of arrow keys doesn't bother me too much. I find it helpful but simply holding the fn key and pressing whatever the arrow keys are on the HHKB Pro 2 wouldn't bother me much as I only use it to scroll up and down on the browser and on word/powerpoint. Control on CapsLock is the only thing that bothers me because I use capslock as backspace. I just have to get used to using a different key as backspace which isn't too much of a problem. If I don't like the HHKB Pro 2, I will probably sell it and settle for the FC660C. I am getting pretty headstrong on getting the HHKB Pro 2. I am mostly wondering as to the feel of Topre on FC660C and HHKB Pro 2 since one is case mounted and one is plate mounted. I am using reds now which are 45g where but I really like ergoclears 62g on my unusable Poker X. Just wondering if the 45g will feel more like the browns (which I don't like because I like my reds which differ from browns since browns [to me] feel like scratchy reds).

Comparing HHKB and FC660C: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47466.0

Offline Martyn.T.Howells

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:22:40 »
Thanks for posting;D I'm on the fence about topre's. Sill something I'm thinking of getting in the future
Steelseries 6gv2 MX Black   Filco Majestouch2 TKL MX Blue   Poker II MX Red   HHKB PRO 2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 17:25:30 »
Thanks for posting;D I'm on the fence about topre's. Sill something I'm thinking of getting in the future

If you're thinking about it, the seed has been sown, and you will get one eventually.

Offline Tempiz

• Buckling Springs <3
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 16:20:00 »
Yeah man! The HHP2 is an awesome keyboard!
I cant be separated from my Model M

Offline Yorkshire

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 03:58:08 »
What get me about this keyboard is that price, so much money to spend on one keyboard. My brain is screaming yes but my wallet is crying no  :-\

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 04:30:45 »
What get me about this keyboard is that price, so much money to spend on one keyboard. My brain is screaming yes but my wallet is crying no  :-\
Trust me, they are very worth it.
Having a bad day?

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:16:31 »
Trust me, they are very worth it.
this

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:40:58 »
It is a small keyboard, very well made, light and easy to carry around, but still sturdy.  Doesn't shift much on the desk despite its lightness.  Topre - a lovely thocky sound.  Very nice layout (provided you are not too attached to arrow or function keys).

Customisable - dip switches to set major functions.

Typed on my HHKB Pro 2.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 17:57:04 »
Finally got the HHKB Pro 2 after resisting out of irrational fears about the layout and absence of dedicated arrow keys. I adapted almost immediately as if this keyboard were custom made just for me. Now I couldn't imagine using any other keyboard except perhaps my venerable IBM Model M SSK. I've posted a review of my impressions:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48804.0

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 20:59:42 »
HHKB is amazing and the learning curve is really small in my opinion. 45g isn't too light as the bottom out is very nice.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 01:36:06 »
Learning curve might vary depending on what other keyboards you use.  I use more conventional layouts all day at work, and come home to HHKB layout in the evening, which doesn't get anywhere near as much use, hence why it is taking me longer to become accustomed to the layout.

I still pause and look for the arrow keys, and don't use function keys much on the Mac, but things like the position of backspace and the Del key I know automatically now.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:17:40 »
Finally got the HHKB Pro 2 after resisting out of irrational fears about the layout and absence of dedicated arrow keys. I adapted almost immediately as if this keyboard were custom made just for me. Now I couldn't imagine using any other keyboard except perhaps my venerable IBM Model M SSK. I've posted a review of my impressions:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48804.0

Glad you like it! I found the same thing happen for me. I was able to "program' the layout into my memory. The arrow keys and function layer just felt natural. I also have found I can swap boards and still go back to using the HHKB just fine.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:46:29 »
The arrow keys and function layer just felt natural. I also have found I can swap boards and still go back to using the HHKB just fine.

That's been my experience as well. My HHKB purchase is one that I don't regret.
SSKs for everyone!