Author Topic: Binge Caps Review  (Read 6128 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Binge Caps Review
« on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:15:19 »
I got my hands on a few Binge caps and wanted to share my thoughts on them. I have an older revision and recent revision of the Moose-skulls and Sir WASDson (pronounced Watson in my head), Binge’s WASD/gamer set. The caps are all Cherry profile and fit MX switches. The two meese fit in the escape/function row and on the “M”.  I don’t have any of the Hand-e-caps so I can’t comment too much on them. I did see some at Keycon which I enjoyed but I don’t own any.

Picture comparison to other caps

Left to right: ABS thin (Miami) and thick (Cherry Black on White), PBT Thick (heart), BroBot, Clacks, Moose Skulls, and WASDSON

Derpling

Sifo told me that he asked Binge to carve this cap at Keycon. Halverson, Sifo, and I were also creating caps while the introductions were going on. For the carved caps, Binge uses Super Sculpey. To me the Sculpey felt exactly like clay. Actually, it almost felt better than actual clay since I find clay to be messy. He also talked about his carving method at his presentation at Keycon.

While I was tooling around with the Sculpey, and essentially made a headstone that said 518, Binge handed me a Derpling he made. He reminded me to bake it at 275 degrees for fifteen minutes in my toaster oven, which surprised me. But the toaster oven totally worked.

I was a little worried with how the cap would turn out since it was so pliable before the bake but it does feel like the Moose skulls and WASDSON. Binge also carved a surprising amount of detail into the cap. My only regret is not painting the cap and Sculpey before the bake. Don't do this kids. I didn't think about this and paint fumes in your toaster oven is probably a bad idea.

I don’t have any other of Binge carved caps so I can’t say how they compare to  this Derpling. I will say I really enjoy this cap. I love the subject matter and I think the sculpting was well done. For those who don’t know, check out StarCrafts to learn what a Derpling is. And if you’re interested in learning more about Binge’s carved caps, check out this link and this link.

Moose Skulls

Purple = New, Green Opaque = Old

At Keycon, Binge had his earlier revisions of his Moose skulls. In the hotel room we shared (meow), he let me pick out a cap from a stash of ten that he had. I remember thinking that some of the caps were very rough but I could see the potential. I had picked a translucent/opaque cap which is cool, but highlights every imperfection.  From here forward, this green opaque cap will be called the “old Moose skull” simply because I got it earlier.

Compared to the BroBot V1, I’d say that quality of the old Moose Skull is about the same. They’re pretty good but both have their flaws. My BroBot has bubbles and mold marks, as well as a very loose fitting stem. The old Moose Skull also has many trapped bubbles, a very rough surface finish, and poor details on the face of the moose. Both BroBot V1 and old Moose Skulls could use some improvements.

I now also have a newer revision of the Moose Skulls. My set is even purple! The set also included a WASDSON which I will cover later. The new Moose Skull is much higher quality than the old one. The face has smoother bottom and clearer details on the face. The bottoms of the cap also have less sharp bottoms or flash. However, I still think they are a little rough. My purple Skulls have a great color and consistent features. This leads me to believe that theyre are cast from the same mold. Compared to the old caps, the new ones just feel nicer.

Compared to a ClickClack Skull, I’d say that Binge is getting closer to reaching that level of craftsmanship. When you touch a Clack skull, the face is pretty smooth. The cap is very thick and the cap just feels solid. The moose skull emulates many of the finer details of the Clack except for that I think that the Moose isn’t as thick and the material isn’t as dense. However, even with that said, the Moose Skull is much more substantial than most other caps. One of the issues that the Clack comparison highlights is that the Moose is rough around the cap s on the bottom. Literally, the mold marks and the flash makes the bottom of the cap feel rough in a few spots.

Bottom of the Moose Skulls

Clack next to a Moose Skull

Overall, I really love these Moose caps. And I think that of all the Binge caps I currently own, I like the two Moose Skulls the most. They’re thick and you can easily feel a difference when you type on a board with them on. Plus the colors are amazing and the moose skull subject matter is just hilarious.

WASDSON

WASDSON

This WASD set or “gamer pack” is definitely different from the Moose Skulls. First off, I feel that compared to the Moose Skulls, WASDSON  seems to have less detail. However, the cap bottom has less flash and rough surfaces than the Moose Skulls. Also the edges where the mustache and monocle spill over feels a bit sharp. When the cap is off the keyboard, it’s noticeable. Meese are definitely smoother. But on the keyboard? The caps feel great.

Final Thoughts

WASDSON with some buddies

At the current moment, the caps have a high quality, to me, than the V1 BroBots but lag only a little behind Clacks. I would love to see another iteration of WASDSON and to see if Binge can solve the rough bottom edge issue. I’d also love to get my hands on a Hand-e-cap. Overall though, I think Binge caps are great. I think the quality is great and Binge is definitely committed to his caps. As a side note, I look forward to seeing the V2 BroBots since BroCaps/MMB has said his V1 Brobots are prototypes.

Would I recommend buying Binge caps? Yes. I think the subject matter on all his caps are cool, even if they are a little creepy. And I’m pretty satisfied with the quality of the caps considering how long Binge has been working on these (Not very long).
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:58:28 by CPTBadAss »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Binge Caps Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:39:51 »
I think this is the first time I have seen a custom keycap review - interesting.

Thanks!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:42:25 »
Can we call him 'Sir Wut Son?''

Binge caps rule!!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 21:50:38 »
Nice review!  I keep thinking that WASDon would be perfect for the arrow cluster rather than for WASD.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tbc

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 23:41:25 »
i want a derpling!!!!!
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 00:14:38 »
Nice review Captain! I love my Binge Caps.

Hand-e cap

Sir WASDson

Moose

Translucent Sir WASDson

Backlit Sir WASDson

The collection
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 09:02:50 »
Nice review Captain! I love my Binge Caps.
Show Image

Hand-e cap
Show Image

Sir WASDson
Show Image

Moose
Show Image

Translucent Sir WASDson
Show Image

Backlit Sir WASDson
Show Image

The collection

I want a hand-e-cap pretty badly. That picture of mkawa high-fiving it is great. And that blue you have is awesome.

i want a derpling!!!!!

I think I have the only one made hehe.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:49:44 »
I'm really touched at how much detail was put into this review.  Making these keycaps is definitely an artistic focus and I want to learn more about how to make them into beautiful finished products.

Your criticisms and praise will definitely help keep me in the right direction.  :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:21:38 »
Why is the subject matter of the Moose hilarious? Huh!?

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:49:54 »
Cant wait to get my hands on a moose and wasdson set! So cool and nice review.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 15:00:09 »
Why is the subject matter of the Moose hilarious? Huh!?

You're a funny guy and it's reflected in the cap. <3

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:32:50 »
Cant wait to get my hands on a moose and wasdson set! So cool and nice review.

They really are great. The quality difference between the V1 and V2 is immense. Binge has put a lot of time and work into making these nicely. And as a plus, he makes many different designs, so there's something for everyone.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:36:30 »
Wow, top-notch stuff... sad I've been so oblivious to their availability

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:57:15 »
how do I get me a moose skull? best cap I have seen yet!
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:58:13 »
how do I get me a moose skull? best cap I have seen yet!

Binge had em on sale in the classifieds and they were for sale at TechKeys.us. Not sure if they're still up in either place though.