Author Topic: GON-like keyboards?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
GON-like keyboards?
« on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:53:05 »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a keyboard with the same general design as a GON Keyboard, ie Acrylic/Aluminum (or Acrylic only?) structure with this kind of switch/keycaps design (as opposed to this ; I don't want the keycaps to "sink" inside the case) (does it have a name?).

I don't care about backlighting, I don't want any keys programming/remapping, just a "standard" Filco-like TKL keyboard but with a GON-like design.

Does it exist?

Apart from the design, I recently got a Max Keyboard switch sampler tester kit and I found that even common switches like MX Blues or MX Reds feel absolutely amazing compared to when they're inside a case.

I own 3 Filco Majestouch TKL in MX Blue / MX Brown / MX Red, and the switches feel much "crispier" and there is much less rattle when they're on the Max Keyboard sampler's acrylic base. I guess I'll never be able to achieve the exact same feel inside a real keyboard because there will always be the need to connect the switches to a PCB, but do you know keyboards which would offer the same kind of feel? Or custom cases which would fit a Filco PCB? Hell, even entirely DIY/custom keyboards with a plug & play TKL PCB?

I've owned and tried a lot of keyboards but none of them came even close to the feeling I got with the bare switches on a simple solid acrylic base.

Sample vid which shows the sound difference between the MX Blue switch in the Filco vs on the solid acrylic base. 1 is MX Blue (2 is MX Green and 3 is MX White, disregard them). Keycaps on the Filco and on the acrylic case are GMK Doubleshot ABS.
Can't really explain the feel, but I hope some of you will get what I'm saying.

I thought the GON would have a similar feel considering the case looks like the acrylic base used by Max Keyboard, but I might be mistaken.

Bonus: blurry pic with some of my **** on it.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:55:41 by amasokin »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: GON-like keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 14:59:54 »
If you want a GON, why not get a GON?

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:07:06 »
I've heard that case style called "floating key" and I've heard them referred to as low profile cases.

The caps in your photo look to be DSA Granite.  DSA is the profile, granite is the color.

As for cheap cases...Noppoo Spyder 87 don't know about quality and its not acrylic.

If you want a gon-like case...you will need gon-like budget.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:12:26 »
Um...

Winkeyless.kr/en

or Kaillet/Apollo

or you know... just get a GON...
null

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:37:00 »
Thanks for all the replies. I've thought about getting a GON, but :
- I have absolutely no need for all the extended customisation options
- Aren't you supposed to program/remap the PCB yourself? Is it easy to do? I have no idea about the software I need, etc. Don't want to have to use an obscure korean-only soft (I might be totally mistaken on this, but there's like no info about this on Gon's website(or at least I couldn't find it)).
- 2 months + delivery is a reaaaally long time

If you're telling me GON's the only one selling GON-like keyboards then I'll get a GON, but I was genuinely wondering if there were any other websites selling "similar" keyboards. Ideally I was just looking for some kind of GON-like keyboard but with no customisation option (thus a bit cheaper and which wouldn't require 2 months to assemble), just some kind of black on black keyboard with no backlighting, no in depth switch customisation, no extended color choice, etc... but a similar design. A Filco-like keyboard (minimalistic/sturdy/functional/premium) with a GON-like design, as I said.

@Defect: Thank you for the precisions. I think low profile is the term I was looking for.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 15:39:50 by amasokin »

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:00:29 »
Perhaps there is an option to buy case-only for GON.  Not sure if the filco PCB will fit in...hopefully others can provide info on that.

Buying case-only might save you 60 bucks or so for a PCB and another 30-50 for switches, plus other components and assembly fees.

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/housings-and-related-parts/111-gon-ns-nerd-crystal-tkl-housing-only.html

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:35:30 »
Thanks for all the replies. I've thought about getting a GON, but :
- I have absolutely no need for all the extended customisation options
- Aren't you supposed to program/remap the PCB yourself? Is it easy to do? I have no idea about the software I need, etc. Don't want to have to use an obscure korean-only soft (I might be totally mistaken on this, but there's like no info about this on Gon's website(or at least I couldn't find it)).
- 2 months + delivery is a reaaaally long time

If you're telling me GON's the only one selling GON-like keyboards then I'll get a GON, but I was genuinely wondering if there were any other websites selling "similar" keyboards. Ideally I was just looking for some kind of GON-like keyboard but with no customisation option (thus a bit cheaper and which wouldn't require 2 months to assemble), just some kind of black on black keyboard with no backlighting, no in depth switch customisation, no extended color choice, etc... but a similar design. A Filco-like keyboard (minimalistic/sturdy/functional/premium) with a GON-like design, as I said.

@Defect: Thank you for the precisions. I think low profile is the term I was looking for.
As far as I'm concerned GON has the best keyboard reprogramming software available in terms of ease of use, quickness, and approachability.

But if you're not willing to wait 3 months or more and and you're willing to go full acrylic, I'd suggest winkeyless.KR/en.

If you're set on an aluminum sandwich, Apollo (Kailet on this forum) makes phenomenal keyboards for a smidgeoj cheaper than GON and can even use GONs PCBs if you want.

Both winkeyless and Apollo would give you the low profile keyboard you want.

Something more similar to your Filcos but low profile would be the Varmilo VA87M but that is not GON style.
null

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:44:03 »
I bought a bface from winkeyless.kr/en, had all the options I could soldered in, and it shipped 2 days after payment, and took like 1 week to get here. It is coming in the mail tomorrow since I missed the post woman.

Offline amasokin

• KBD Lunatic
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 04:28:59 »
Thanks again for the replies. Think I'm gonna go with the Winkeyless PCB + Acrylic case then!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 08:44:55 »
were you looking for something like the Varmilo VA87M?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition