Author Topic: UMPCs  (Read 11546 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 00:24:14 »
Does anyone else out there love these things as much as me? I am looking into the Asus Eee PC right now, set to drop this week, and I think I may have to buy one. I may wait until someone shoe-horns Ubuntu on it, but I think there is definitely one in my future.

What are you opinions on there? Not only the Asus, but any of them.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 00:38:34 »
It ships with an "Asus flavored Linux," so that negates my previous statement about Ubuntu - and it has OpenOffice 2.0, and that's all I need.

I want a dedicated writing machine, and for that I think this would be perfect.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
UMPCs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 01:03:45 »
I think they are great for their intended purpose...that is, as an affordable, simplistic system for the elderly and grade schoolers.

The LCD's on the Eee PC's are total crap (and I'm sure the integrated keyboard is as well).  

I say don't waste your money.  Use those couple of hundred dollars to buy some nice toys for your Macbook.  (heck buy Parallels AND VMWare Fusion and have as many virtual "dedicated  writing machines" as your heart desires)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 01:34:14 »
I still think I'll buy one. The idea of a tiny PC running Linux that is only for writing is really a cool idea to me.

See, my MacBook is a fairly ballsy machine, really it's the only computer I need. right now, I am watching a movie while I'm doing my nightly net rounds and editing a piece I wrote for a local paper. I think I'm downloading podcasts as well. My CPU is hanging at around 13% used. I like the idea of a machine that is really only capable of writing and research.

Think about this - me chillin' on my porch or in my chair, a lap desk on my lap containing a tiny UMPC and the HHKB Pro or the SMK 85 (Which I use all the time now). I think the that would be a perfect set up.

I would still have my MacBook as my main PC for all my fun, but the idea of a little gadget just for writing is great. I have an AlphaSmart that I used to use for this purpose, but it doesn't have any inputs and the keyboard blows, so I can't stand to use it anymore. Quite frankly, I miss it.

Do you understand my position now a little better or do you still think I'm on acid?

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 02:41:53 »
Quote from: xsphat
Do you understand my position now a little better or do you still think I'm on acid?

I still think you are on acid.  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 02:48:32 »
Fair enough.

Offline mr_sf_applet

UMPCs
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 03:50:50 »
Well, I can sure understand the appeal of something like this. Maybe that's because I've been wanting an ultraportable dedicated writing machine that I can carry anywhere and have been toying with the idea of getting an AlphaSmart NEO. I'd be very sensitive to pricing on something like the the ASUS Eee PC, though. At $300 or under, I'd think of it as being in the same ball park as the AlphaSmart NEO, and a viable, even preferable, alternative. At $400 or over, then I'd think of it as being twice the price of the NEO, and I'd hesitate, probably to the point of not pulling the trigger.

Of course, if I were comparing it to the AlphaSmart Dana or Dana Wireless, then the parameters would shift signficantly.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 October 2007, 06:02:47 »
I have an AlphaSmart, and I used to like it. Now, it collects dust. The keyboard feels tougher than beef jerky. And the display, even on the Neo, shows a max of six lines of text. No browser means no research (which is mandatory for my fiction and other homework) and the fact that doesn't have a USB slot kills all of my desire for the Neo dead.

The Asus Eee PC will be priced at $300 for the bottom end one, $350 for the middle of the road, and the top of the line, and the one I am going to get, is $400. They are solid state with flash HDDs, and have three USB ports, an out for a monitor, and an SD card slot. That coupled with having full-on computer functionality and that it ships with Linux is what makes this tower over the Neo in my eyes. Plus, it has a better screen which is backlit, and it is uber-geek-sheik.

And the final aspect going into my want for product is that it is tough and small, and by the time I'll be able to buy it, I'll have a newborn, who will soon be old enough to inadvertently destroy my MacBook. $400 to replace a UMPC or $1600 to replace my MB (with upgrades). Get my drift? But of course, this could be said of the Neo as well ...

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 November 2007, 10:23:07 »
So, who's buying one???

:)

Offline mr_sf_applet

UMPCs
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 November 2007, 11:01:32 »
Well, xsphat has convinced me that this is way superior to the AlphaSmart Neo as a portable stash-in-your-pack-and-take-anywhere writing machine. So, I'll probably get one, but not until next spring. And I'd probably go for the 8GB model which is supposedly available at the end of this month.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 November 2007, 12:50:31 »
I'll be picking one up in Feb.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 November 2007, 17:03:14 »
Check out this thread on using the Eee PC with remote desktop. This looks fantastic  :D

Offline mr_sf_applet

UMPCs
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 November 2007, 21:09:14 »
Quote from: xsphat
Check out this thread on using the Eee PC with remote desktop. This looks fantastic  :D

Okay, I'm looking for a link here, and I don't see any. What thread?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 November 2007, 21:29:23 »

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 21 January 2008, 09:34:49 »
I was pouring over reviews at NewEgg on this thing.  Here's what I don't get.  The LARGE number of reviews that include BOTH of the following statements:

- Keyboard is cramped and awkward to use
 - This thing is great for taking notes on

Am I the only one that is totally confused by that??  :)

Oh, and it appears that Ubuntu "shoehorns" in quite nicely.

I also don't get why these struggle to net 2 hours of battery life.  That seems pretty unbelievable to me for an ultra-portable device.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 21 January 2008, 12:03:51 »
I am still tossing around the idea of getting one of these or a OLPC off eBay. The thing is, when I was gung ho about this before, my baby was still cooking. Now that he's out and he DOES NOT hate me, every single aspect of my life changed.

I've desided to finish my office with my money this time and live off the rest. So unless I get some exorbident ammount back from taxes, I think this one will have to wait for a bit.  I am buying about $3-400 in keyboards for my new office set up though ...

And that battery life thing sucks balls. If I want those problems, I'll just stick with my MacBook and it's out-of-the box 30 second battery life -- thanks Steve!

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 14:37:16 »
Quote from: xsphat;893
I'll be picking one up in Feb.

So, when you picking up teh EeePC?  :)

I decided to revive this thread because the Eee 900 was recently announced/released (available in the US mid-June, I believe).  Larger, 9" screen, new 1.3mp webcam, 1GB ram and 20GB flash storage standard.  All significant upgrades from the Eee 701.

However . . .

It floors me that they can still barely eek out 2 hours of battery life out of these things.  This is the biggest let down for me regarding the Eee.  I'd be willing to sacrifice on the performance, screen, keyboard, and pointing device...IF, those sacrifices were rewarded by extreme portability.  A big part of that portability is extended battery life.

I have a Thinkpad X60s right now (Ubuntu) with the extended battery and I routinely get 4-5 hours of battery life with liberal use of wifi.  With the 12" screen, it is quite portable and I really don't sacrifice much (if anything) for that portability.

I'd love to hop on the Eee bandwagon and support linux's push into the ultraportable space...but with all the usability sacrifices, I don't get what the equalizing feature is.

Offline Eclairz

UMPCs
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 17:21:20 »
I've tried the EEE keyboard at my local toys r us, and believe me it is perfectly fine for taking notes, I'm guessing for something longer like writing essay after essay, RSI would creep in faster due to the "cramped" keyboard. But i use an even more cramped keyboard in the psion 5mx, and the psion 5mx has much more short travel than a eee. So ye i think the eee a really decent system. I think the closest you could get to a eee in size of keyboard and usability would probably be the psion 7 which I have never used but I guess the keyboard is similar if not better and bigger than the psion 5mx. The psion 7/netbook is already discontinued but in the UK you can find loads of them on Ebay. The battery life being around 5hrs but the screen has fewer colours and less bright and the cpu is very old now. the 7 mx has a lower res screen and just found out that it has a larger screen 7.7" vs eee 7" and so it is bigger as well in dimensions.
psion 7 23.5x18.2x3.7 cm
eee pc 22.5 x 16.4 x 3.5 cm
The psion 5mx and 7 can run linux too but running linux on 5mx is almost pointless as the operating system is already super efficient and robust, and so it would make it run slower.

My psion 5mx runs on AA and a button batteries and even then I only have to replace the button battery quarterly and the batteries last around 20hrs without backlit screen (fine once i get used to the keyboard). The psion 5mx is strictly for notes only though, its 10x faster than using hand recognition software, and 2x faster than using ity bity keyboards e.g. blackberry. So its my main notetaker, it even runs with compact flash but doesn't like my large cards.

Its always in sleep mode and open the lid and press on and you you can type straight away. Beware though that the special keyboard screen hinge has been known to break so more care is needed when opening and closing the pda. Its a great system and works fine, looks stylish, runs on 36MHz risc technology and still more robust and faster than xp booting up and even loading wordpad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_5

psion 7
http://blog.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/archives/2005/11/30/psion-series-7-featured-in-pc-plus-nov-2005/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psion_Series_7

http://newth.net/psion7/features.html
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 May 2008, 19:06:02 »
I have since decided to instead buy a bicycle to try and work on my ever expanding backside and upgrade to another Mac in the fall.

I'm pretty afraid of Linux and XP blows, and plus I'd still have to carry a keyboard around, so what's the point?

Offline Eclairz

UMPCs
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 03:04:22 »
what sort of work does it involve though? if its just typing and basic browsing then asus eee should be fine (add a hhkb pro for serious typing work?), otherwise u might have to look at the apple macbook air, ibm x300 or one of those tiny sony vaios if you need serious power (e.g. excel, games)
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 03:33:18 »
I'm a writer who likes to work at a desk. I can take my MacBook to the park and put my HHKB Pro 2 on top of it, but how would I accomplish that with the eee pc? I think that between that issue and changing to an OS that isn't OS X would make this a great device to throw in a drawer and never touch. My current set up has two monitors, four of my favorite all time keyboards and a lot of space, and I honestly only want to write here.

So that's my thinking.

I need to focus on my health so my kid learns good habits, and the way I see it, I have a collection of keyboards that really isn't going to get much better, so I need a new hobby, and right now, it's looking like health might be it.

Offline Eclairz

UMPCs
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 06:29:24 »
well weight is the greatest issue here i see, so what you preferably want is either :

a small tablet machine with usb ports and light weight

a laptop with really good keyboard whilst staying light

neither are available at the moment

I do not understand your love for Mac OS X especially for typing duties, any system be is apple, windows, epoc or linux can take in data. Just as long as the format is easily convertable. Or alternatively use the most standard text for of all ".txt" like i do, get your content down quickly and format it nicely later. There are reasons why most software have an export ability.

If health is your main concern however I would say get the lightest laptop available as the less weight you carry on your bike the less it will strain your muscles (unless your trying to build them up then you should go the complete other way and get a heavy as hell laptop)

No widely available laptop today uses mechanical keys today, and scissor dome technology is the cheapest technology which is used in nearly all laptops in order to keep the weight down, and the dimensions slim.

Therefore the only option is probably a custom made laptop

My alternative idea is get a pda with a usb port and find a way to make it stand on your keyboard and there you'll have a more than good enough typing experience, i find once i've gotten used to my psion keyboard i can write in dark lecture halls and just accept that i wont switch the backlight on and type blindly I only use the screen to fix up my typos with spellchecker, and to reread what i just wrote. otherwise looking at the screen incessantly is not that productive. therefore just connect the keyboard to a pda leave it in the bag and learn to type blindly and fix all at home. Looking at a small screen is bad for your eyes and the reason you go out at all is to go out and look outside not look at a laptop screen. this should improve your health in other ways

windows mobile running pdas machines can run usb keyboards, but you still need to find a pda which has usb ports
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsMobile/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2853448&SiteID=65
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 06 May 2008, 14:26:46 »
Quote from: xsphat;4429
... I have a collection of keyboards that really isn't going to get much better, ...

but don't worry GeekHackers, there is still one 'board left to buy ...

Offline djones

UMPCs
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 May 2008, 13:28:51 »
ever since the liberetto from toshiba, I was never a fan of the EEE PC's form factor.  it's too big to put in a shirt pocket, too small for typing, battery life probably not that good. I might get the nokia n800 though.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 00:07:07 »
what about an ipod touch?

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 May 2008, 06:56:39 »
Quote from: xsphat;4701
what about an ipod touch?

If what you want is extremely portable web browsing and youtube, there is nothing better than an iPhone or iPod Touch.

However, if you want to do any significant text entry (even replying to posts on geekhack), look elsewhere.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 June 2008, 02:36:22 »
Check this out -- I'd be so pissed if I bought one of these right away ...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/02/eee-pc-901-specs-older-eee-pc-price-cuts/

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 02 June 2008, 07:49:05 »
Quote from: xsphat;5055
Check this out -- I'd be so pissed if I bought one of these right away ...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/02/eee-pc-901-specs-older-eee-pc-price-cuts/

These price cuts were actually announced right away though. They said they would release the 900 version first, and then they would release these and drop the price.

I've been keeping my eye on these, since the form factor seems awesome. We'll have to see what the new prices are, seeing how I only paid little over $700 for my 14" R61 thinkpad and it's weight doesn't really bother me at all.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 02 June 2008, 09:52:41 »
Not the price cuts, look at how much the current Eees suck compared to the new ones.

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 09:41:17 »
The 901 eee's are currently available...with the Atom processor, 6-cell batteries (reports vary from 6-8 hours battery life), and 20gb ssd storage.  Also come with 1GB ram standard and a 1.3mp webcam.

I know the 1000/1000H's are out, but that is simply too big...might as well go with a x60/61 at that point (which rock, btw).  The 900-series eee's are almost identical in size to the 700-series, but with a bigger screen and better rez (1024x600).

Anyone more tempted now?  I actually started thinking about it after actually seeing and get hands on a 700-series one the other day.  You don't realize how truly small they are until you see one in person.  (and you don't get hooked by the "neat factor" until you see one as well).  :)

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:10:29 »
Quote from: iMav;7222
Anyone more tempted now?  I actually started thinking about it after actually seeing and get hands on a 700-series one the other day.  You don't realize how truly small they are until you see one in person.  (and you don't get hooked by the "neat factor" until you see one as well).  :)

Very tempted :)

I tried a 901 a bit back and loved it.  A lot more responsive than I thought it would be. I think their new prices are not a competitive as MSI or Asus, but I haven't done my homework yet on the specs.

The keyboard was too small for me though (I have large hands) - the MSI Wind is supposed to have a full sized keyboard. I love my thinkpad as a fully capable notebook, but something as small as this that I can throw in my backpack with a book and my psp for browsing and light work would be awesome for day to day use.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:23:10 »
Quote from: Waves77;7223
I think their new prices are not a competitive as MSI or Asus, but I haven't done my homework yet on the specs.

The 901 is an Asus product.

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:25:21 »
Quote from: xsphat;7225
The 901 is an Asus product.

Yeah, I was thinking of Acer :)
Current collection:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:28:25 »
Have you seen the Lenovo S10? it looks like the best of the bunch.

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:35:56 »
Quote from: xsphat;7227

Unless this girl is two feet tall, the S10 is not even in the same market:

AFAIC, the Eee PC 1000 is too big.  It's the form factor of the 700 & 900-series eee's that is compelling.  If I can't put it in a cargo pants pocket, it doesn't compete with the Eee 700/900.

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:38:56 »
Quote from: xsphat;7227

I hadn't read about that one yet, thanks for the tip. Nice specs and Lenovo certainly knows how to build some very nice laptops. I might wait to see if it's released in september as they mention.
Current collection:

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 13:43:43 »
Quote from: iMav;7228
AFAIC, the Eee PC 1000 is too big.  It's the form factor of the 700 & 900-series eee's that is compelling.  If I can't put it in a cargo pants pocket, it doesn't compete with the Eee 700/900.

From http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4540

"The S10 is approximately one inch thick and weighs just more than two pounds in the base configuration."

That would work for me - I never wear cargo pants :D
Current collection:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 14:19:52 »
Quote from: iMav;7228
Unless this girl is two feet tall, the S10 is not even in the same market

According to this site, http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/15621-MSI-Wind-U100-vs-Lenovo-S10-vs-Asus-eee-PC-901-vs-Lenovo-S10-1-,

here is the size difference:
s10 10x7x1
901 9x7x1.5

Maybe that girl is 2 feet tall ...

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 14:37:57 »
Quote from: xsphat;7231
According to this site, http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/15621-MSI-Wind-U100-vs-Lenovo-S10-vs-Asus-eee-PC-901-vs-Lenovo-S10-1-,

here is the size difference:
s10 10x7x1
901 9x7x1.5

Maybe that girl is 2 feet tall ...

ONE INCH WIDER?!?!?!

See??  That is TOTALLY unacceptable!  No way I carry around that anchor!

;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
UMPCs
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 16:04:17 »
Oh come now. I think I'd buy a Lenovo over an Asus anyday, even though it doesn't have a damned TrackPoint.

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 16:17:05 »
Quote from: xsphat;7234
Oh come now. I think I'd buy a Lenovo over an Asus anyday, even though it doesn't have a damned TrackPoint.

Having now (as of an hour ago) seen an Acer Aspire One in person, I think it trumps them all.  Looks great, solid (for these little guys, that is) keyboard, and trackpad is similar to Acer's new big laptops where it is the exact same finish as the rest of the laptop.  No more grease sponge...although, a trackpoint WOULD rock.

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 19:38:58 »
Quote from: iMav;7235
Having now (as of an hour ago) seen an Acer Aspire One in person, I think it trumps them all.  Looks great, solid (for these little guys, that is) keyboard, and trackpad is similar to Acer's new big laptops where it is the exact same finish as the rest of the laptop.  No more grease sponge...although, a trackpoint WOULD rock.

Did get you to try out a MSI Wind by any chance?
Current collection:

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 09 August 2008, 23:54:19 »
Quote from: Waves77;7239
Did get you to try out a MSI Wind by any chance?

Nope.  They didn't have them available.

The Aspire One is pretty darned slick.  Runs Ubuntu extremely well.

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 10 August 2008, 09:55:13 »
Quote from: iMav;7241
Nope.  They didn't have them available.

Bummer. I just played around with a eeePc at Best But in Tampa a little ago, here in Abq I haven't seen any umpc's anywhere :(

The Aspire One is pretty darned slick.  Runs Ubuntu extremely well.

I still remember having to compile all my kernels manually and spending days to get everything working on my laptop :) It's great seeing more support for Linux out there, for me it's definitely something that counts very much when I buy hardware.

Keep us posted on what you get!
Current collection:

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 10 August 2008, 10:02:17 »
Quote from: Waves77;7244
I still remember having to compile all my kernels manually and spending days to get everything working on my laptop :)

I remember it used to take me just over two days to compile a kernel on my 486SX-25 (probably because I only had 4MB of ram).  ;)  Partitioned my 80MB hdd so I could dual-boot OS/2 and slackware (soon replaced by redhat 3.0.3).

Offline Waves77

UMPCs
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 10 August 2008, 10:12:42 »
Quote from: iMav;7245
I remember it used to take me just over two days to compile a kernel on my 486SX-25 (probably because I only had 4MB of ram).  ;)  Partitioned my 80MB hdd so I could dual-boot OS/2 and slackware (soon replaced by redhat 3.0.3).

Heheehhe... sounds like fun :)

I got into Linux later, started out with Mandrake 9.2 (around 2003) and then moved to Debian and Gentoo (used it for around 2 years, awesome community back in the day) - learned a lot doing things that way, but I'm, glad that nowadays I can just drop Ubuntu on any piece of hardware and have things go from the get-go. I can't recall last time I had a bum update.
Current collection:

Offline Eclairz

UMPCs
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 07:58:05 »
http://blog.geekstuff4u.com/

Is an interesting pda that will happily accept your hhkb pro2 and a 16 port hub + the display will arch up for more friendly viewing
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
UMPCs
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 08:18:51 »
Quote from: iMav;890
So, who's buying one???

:)

512MB RAM, 4GB HD, and  a 7" screen.  

Did we just step backward 10 years?  

I much prefer 512MB Video RAM, 4GB of RAM.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

UMPCs
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 09:09:27 »
Quote from: ashort;7273
512MB RAM, 4GB HD, and  a 7" screen.  I much prefer 512MB Video RAM, 4GB of RAM.

For less than the $399 for the 700-series eee, you can get an Acer Aspire One with a almost 9" WSVGA display (LED backlit, BTW), 512MB ram (expandable to 1.5GB), 8GB flash drive, etc.

If you need a fully pimped desktop replacement, a netbook is certainly not it.  If you need something highly portable and can live "in the cloud" while using it...a netbook is a great potential option.

Quote from: ashort;7273
Did we just step backward 10 years?

Hardly . . .

9.8 x 6.7 x 1.14 inches
2.19 pounds

Show me that 10 years ago.  ;)

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
UMPCs
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 August 2008, 14:15:21 »
10 years ago, a machine with those dimensions and weight maxed out at 64 MB RAM, and had a 233 MHz Pentium MMX.

Granted, the hard drive was 4 GB, but it was a 2.5" hard drive, not an SSD.