Author Topic: shift key - want send release after letter pressed  (Read 11113 times)

Offline Erhy

shift key - want send release after letter pressed
« on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 15:24:10 »
Hello,
I search a way
to have a auto release function of the shift key
for a Windows 8.1 keyboard.
This, because often happens, that the first two letters of
a word are upper case letters, although only one should be.
e.g.
AMerica

Most I write in German with many words in capital letters on beginning.

Perhaps it would also help to modify the timing of release the shift-key.

Thank you for advice if you know to manage it

Erhy

Offline mmm

Re: shift key - want send release after letter pressed
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 January 2023, 07:43:09 »
Yes, the thread is very old. I know that.
But I've been searching for a general alternative keyboard driver for many years. There are no suitable hits on google with any help at all. I found your thread searching my wish.

What _you_ want could maybe achieved if you have a programmable keyboard. For example: Sayo keyboards (like 3x3 or 2x6) have an option to program keys in that way (add a 'release shift' to every key from a..z). But there is no programmable TKL (or full size) Sayo keyboard. Also, I could not find Sayo's with blue switches (probably doesn't exist).

What I _myself_ am looking for in a keyboard driver, for a gazzillion years now, is a way to fasten the keyboard response in Windows.
In DOS we have: mode con rate=32 delay=1
Maximum rate=32: which is equal to 'Repeat rate' = 'fast' at keyboard settings, is not fast enough for me.
Minimum delay=1: which is equal to 'Repeat delay' = 'short' at keyboard settings, is too slow for me; I have to wait too long before Windows is responding, if I for example press and hold the cursor keys.
I'd like to have a setting possible:
Mode con rate=64 delay=0.25
If anybody knows a mechanical TKL (with special drivers) with that possibility... or a general Windows keyboard driver which can do that... please notify me :).

Especially the delay=1 (DOS) or 'Repeat delay' (Windows) is a problem for me. It costed me over the years many days of useless waiting time. Waiting before Windows does respond. On a global scale, this costs billions in lost productivity.
Microsoft doesn't want to speed up things. Of course delay=0 would give a keyboard usability problem; but give us at least a shorter delay than what is currently possible, Microsoft! What we are missing, is a general Windows keyboard driver with more options; like what you want to do and what I want to change. (If it is not a hardware issue? In that case, we need special keyboards / other factory specifications.)
Maybe someone who knows a lot about Linux, can tell me if Linux has such speedy keyboard options. If so, than it is not a hardware problem, and a better Windows driver should be possible.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2023, 07:46:00 by mmm »
Some KB\'s I have: White PLU ML87, black PLU ML87, Chicony KB5181 TDC3100061, fullsized Lexmark/IBM.

Offline anawilliam850

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 January 2023, 09:07:00 »
Thank you for the alternative

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 04:33:08 »
Heh.. I keep doing this, for some reason releasing left shift takes longer than right ahnd type next letter and I get that all the time.
Its funny, I mean weird, at work, when I send email to someone and won't check and fix it on time, sometimes I sound like an ******* in my emails, when people get them like:

"DO you know what I mean?" :D

They must read it like, DO you know? DO YOU?! :D  :))
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Mandan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 21:39:08 »
> Maybe someone who knows a lot about Linux, can tell me if Linux has such speedy keyboard options.

At the console, the xset command sets the delay and repeat rate.

In KDE, Main Menu -> System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard

You can set the delay down to 100ms if you want, and the repeat rate up to 100.

I run at 200 milliseconds for delay, 55 repeat rate.  Now that I've moved back to a Model F from a mushboard I can probablytweak it a bit more, but 200/55 lets me drive the cursor around with the keyboard when editing, faster than I can move my hand to the mouse and back.

As a side note, I didn't know about xset for a long time, and that was the reason I stayed with DOS/DESQview for five or six more years before moving to Linux.  I was running a TSR keyboard accelerator called "Repeat Performance" that set the keyboard repeat rate to anything I wanted, including an "adaptive" mode (increasing acceleration with time) that Linux still doesn't do.  I used xset until I finally settled on KDE for a desktop, and now I let KDE handle it.