Author Topic: Any split keyboards with low profile switches?  (Read 10446 times)

Offline flac.head

Any split keyboards with low profile switches?
« on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 07:41:15 »
Due to wrist injuries I've had to switch from my beloved HHKB Type-S to a Kinesis Advantage LF. I love mostly everything about this board: split, orthogonal keys, dome shaped wells, re-programmable.

However, I decided that I really dislike Cherry switches. They have so much travel that it just feels super slow to type on to the point that I don't enjoy it anymore.

I bought a Havit board just to try out the new kailh low profile switches. Great switches, super fast to type on, nice tactility; but it's back to a regular staggered TKL layout, and so my wrist pain is coming back.

So far the only boards I have seen close to what I want are build-it-yourself boards... Dactyl (not even sure if you can build this with low profile switches) and Lets Split (not sure if this accepts low profile yet?)

Are there any current, or upcoming boards that anyone knows would fit my needs? IE: split, orthogonal keys, low profile switches. dome shaped wells would be a bonus but not necessary.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: Any split keyboards with low profile switches?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 07:52:04 »
Seems like you would like a uTron sadlly it's discontinued so the only reason I'm talking about it is to warn you not to try and get one in the secondary market.

Offline flac.head

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 07:53:26 »
Ah yes, I did have my eye on one of those for a while, crazy price though!

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 07:56:40 »
You could try to use some orings to reduce the travel on the kinesis

Offline flac.head

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 08:10:15 »
@AMongoose I tried O rings but it made it even worse, they keys just felt too mushy when bottoming out and it made me even slower lol.

@MajorKoos I have seen these before, the uTron is discontinued and the other is a project to split a HHKB, but its still staggered. I would love my own split orthogonal HHKB, that would be awesome :D

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 08:14:31 »
Have you tried tactile cherry switches?

Offline flac.head

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 08:20:17 »
I have tried Red, Brown, Blue, and Black. My kinesis is currently using reds which is probably most of the problem, but I've used browns before and wasn't overly enamoured with the bump. blues were terrible  for gaming and blacks were too heavy.

Topres has been my favourite switch to date, however the kailh low profile blues are on par, if not slightly nicer to type on! I'm also a fan of laptop keyboards, mainly due to the low travel, but impossible to find a split one of those with the orthogonal keys.

A dactyl might be perfect if I could get one with these kailh switches, but I have no clue about building boards so it would need to at least come in a kit or have very clear instructions lol.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 09:32:37 »
There are Iris PCBs with support for Kailh Choc switches.

Offline flac.head

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:14:21 »
Ah nice thanks, i'll add that to my potential list. looks almost exactly like what I want.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/854ibs/compact_wireless_and_ergonomic/?st=jf14rjw9&sh=37c8ae2b

Also found this on reddit.

Offline scud80

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 13:36:37 »