Author Topic: [IC] A round 2 novelty key group buy UPDATE W/Keycap list!  (Read 34440 times)

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
Re: [IC] A round 2 novelty key group buy UPDATE W/Keycap list!
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:13:11 »
Meh, the shipping price is a bit higher than what people are usually charging for shipping these days, but that's a great price for the keys themselves and they're a business too. Great deal for exactly what you want and you don't have to wait.

Since they're selling them I won't be including the Japan mods in this group buy both because I don't need to and out of respect for their sales.

Offline Sai

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:26:09 »
I don't really know about the shipping fees though. This is my first time buying stuffs from US.  ;D
I'll take part in next gb if there is anything that I am interest. Thanks for the help!
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:37:01 »
Ah, didn't realize you weren't located in the US. $8 bucks is quite a bit if its just a bubble mailer. Even when I was marking it up I wasn't charging that much. If you contact them I'm pretty sure they'll work something out, they're good guys.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:42:35 by Ragnorock »

Offline Sai

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:54:47 »
Ah, didn't realize you weren't located in the US. $8 bucks is quite a bit if its just a bubble mailer. Even when I was marking it up I wasn't charging that much. If you contact them I'm pretty sure they'll work something out, they're good guys.

Sure. I don't really mind about the shipping fees though. (been buying gundam stuffs from Jap through EMS and cost me a lot  :'( :'( )
just worried about the shipping method as i haven't tried it before.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 22:10:49 »
Oh, well the bubble mailer is pretty standard and since someone can step on a key without damaging it there are usually 0 issues. I ship most of my stuff that isn't full keysets by them, in fact I imagine just about every order in this proposed group buy will be getting a bubble mailer.

Offline Sai

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 22:19:26 »
ah. ok. then i'll have no problem at all. gonna buy when i get home.  ;D Thanks for the help!

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 22:20:02 »
$8 bucks is quite a bit if its just a bubble mailer.
This is what confuses me all the time, I have been charged anywhere from $3.78 to $10 for postage in a bubble mailer. Do prices change depending on where you are in America or do some just like adding extra cost on for some reason? I was surprised to see it go as high as $10 :\ 
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 03:16:54 »
I can give you some answers based on my experience as a vendor on here... Initially when I started offering the bubble mailers I didn't know what I was getting into with USPS. Because of that, I was charging $4-5 ($5 for international, or it was something like that) just to mail them out first class. Turns out, that even though the cost does vary whether it goes to a near region of the country, or the other end, it does vary, but not all that much. Internationally, it varies a bit more, and of course all of this depends on the weight, but even with a bubble mailer with a bunch of keys in it it wouldn't end up being all that much. Average price for domestic packages for me these days is right around $2, maybe a bit more. That comes with delivery confirmation and such. Internationally there is no delivery confirmation and it averages around $3 but can go as high as $4. Thats why after getting a large enough sample size to be confident in the prices I could charge without losing money but not marking it up, I lowered my prices. I've actually lowered them multiple times now, to the $3 US and $3.50 international for bubble mailers. That covers the outliers, cost of the bubble mailers, and frequent trips to the post office, but doesn't make me any profit. Thus, and I went over this a while ago in my group buys, the money I make from running group buys or selling keys comes from the product itself, like it should. That is usually taken care of by rounding price tiers to the next dollar etc. What they are doing, is marking up the shipping to make extra money on a per order basis, rather than a per item basis. It works, but it can be a bit excessive at times. I received this feedback, and adjusted because of it!

With this particular group buy, since its a bunch of novelty keys, its not going to be dollars since once we hit high quantities, the per key price is going to be really cheap, like $0.75 or something. I'll round to every dime or something, to keep  the markup/margin small and reasonable. That way my time gets covered, and everyone still gets cheap novelty keys for a fraction of the cost of buying a single from a store. Those Japan keys for example... $4 is a great price for them as leftovers, reasonable to get how many you need, but you aren't exactly going to buy 100 of them. Its profitable, but not ridiculously so for the seller, because the inventory doesn't move that fast. Also if they're just buying them and selling them, they've got to order a significant amount to get a good price for them, requiring them to front a decent lump of cash. Anyways, compare that to the prices of some novelty keys, the TL.net key for example, which were going for $15-$20 before Team Liquid started selling them in their store, and it sounds fair. Group buys are a great deal when they come around though, because all of the sudden 500-1000 keys of a particular kind get dumped into the pool, and prices are kept low for them.

Also, if Melissa thinks the Fox key won't look good as a doubleshot, we may have to run it as a dyesub or put it in the imsto group buy. Just a little update there. Finals this week and then I'm done, but my first one isn't till Wednesday and its optional at that (I can bump my grade from a B+ to an A- in the class if I do well on it) so I may have some time tomorrow to get a bunch of GH stuff up and running.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 12:31:43 »
100% behind a fox hound key, be amazing if it was creme/black

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 14:54:32 »
Hey Rag,

You wanna do a Mr Yuk key? If sp is willing, i'd be in for a few. Make it match the "toxic set" color codes GB for better sales as well? an add-on of sorts. Hell maybe your Bio key would look good in those colors... people seem to love their greens around here.

& a couple people showed interest right away when I mentioned it; http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.msg745018#msg745018

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 15:35:34 »
Hey Rag,

You wanna do a Mr Yuk key? If sp is willing, i'd be in for a few. Make it match the "toxic set" color codes GB for better sales as well? an add-on of sorts. Hell maybe your Bio key would look good in those colors... people seem to love their greens around here.

& a couple people showed interest right away when I mentioned it; http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.msg745018#msg745018

I don't think he could match the toxic set, as that's using a custom color that's being created purely for that GB and until it's run through it won't be available.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 15:41:45 »
Was thinking a laughing man cap would be cool. Just not sure if it would be copyright so a no go, either way. Made a mock up of it, and thought it would be a cool new 'awesome face'.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 18:29:00 »
A Mr. Yuck key would be cool, the mouth might not look near as defined as it does in the image, but it could work. I wouldn't be doing it in the same colors as the toxic group buy, both for the reasons mentioned above and me wanting it to look like the actual key logo. Copyright, I'd probably get a meh from Melissa on that one. The laughing man cap is also awfully detailed for a doubleshot, would work good as a dyesub though. That's my input, thoughts?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 18:31:02 »
A Mr. Yuck key would be cool, the mouth might not look near as defined as it does in the image, but it could work. I wouldn't be doing it in the same colors as the toxic group buy, both for the reasons mentioned above and me wanting it to look like the actual key logo. Copyright, I'd probably get a meh from Melissa on that one. The laughing man cap is also awfully detailed for a doubleshot, would work good as a dyesub though. That's my input, thoughts?

Yea I removed the writing in hopes of a doubleshot, although still has quite the detail. If it can't be doubleshot, maybe lump it into the dyesub buy if people want it?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:42:41 »
Is Mr Yuk even (strictly) copyrighted anyway? Beings it's an old sticker campaign to put stickers on things kids shouldnt be playing with; ie chemicals under the sink.

I would be in for a few Mr Yuk's regardless of color. (although I personally prefer nn black base color) To go with my Ragnarock red on black of course.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:09:46 »
Mr Yuck would go on NN for sure. I have plans to do both a green on black and blue on black set for my next group buy. Since the toxic set is in the works, it'll probably be blue first to avoid having competing gbs running simultaneously.

Expect biohazard and Mr. Yuck keys for the green one when I do, and at least biohazard with the blue one. That's basically going to be my personal replacement for a windows key forever, so I'll be coming up with custom legends for those modifier row to go with or in place of it fitting the theme of the set. I may or may not offer a standard set of mods depending on how the custom legends are received.

Offline Lukasevic

• World Famous Gamer™
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 02:59:37 »
WTB more red on black type keys to match my rag set!@

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 18:29:35 »
Didn't want to go through all 4 pages but I'd be in for an ANY and a PANIC key if that's still likely..

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 22:09:46 »
Yeah, what color though? I want to do something a bit different than the same thing over again and again. Also for the sake of image detail and copyright safety I'm going to go ahead and put the fox key in the imsto group buy. You can order it as soon as tomorrow.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 05:13:34 »
Green on black?

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
Re: Re: [IC] A round 2 novelty key group buy UPDATE W/Keycap list!
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 05:52:56 »
Laughing man should be doable. Not much more complex than "&"
I have a decent image file for it with no background if you want it as I had wasd make me a lasered one and it came out well.
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 24 December 2012, 10:48:36 »
Excited for this batch of Novelty Keycaps.
Hoping for some variety of Lotus Keys and looking forward to the Awesome Faces and Bio-hazard Keys as well!
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:00:34 by razorsharpgears »
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 13:55:37 »
I'd be in for a red on black ANY and PANIC (match ragnarok red sets)

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 20:59:26 »
K, I can dig that, anyone have other ideas?

Offline Phil21

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:53:04 »
I'm in.  Ideas here are good, definitely interested in some triforce since I missed it last time.  LoD still remains my favorite novelty so a different colored run of those would be fun too.

Offline MadScientist46

• Snaged his first CCs -> HappyScientist now ^_^
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:10:37 »
Any update on this one?

Or are just too many guys participating in too many group buys atm? :p
Noppoo Choc mini MX-Reds | KBT Pure MX-Reds/Green LEDs

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:41:28 »
I'm waiting for the jimmies cap! My jimmies need an unrustling!