Author Topic: [IC] XCom Keycap/Keyset  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Internetlad

[IC] XCom Keycap/Keyset
« on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 18:22:12 »
So, just a little thought I had today. XCom is eating my entire life, hours at a time.

And I was thinking, damn, that logo looks cool. Then I was thinking. Hey keyboards are cool too.

Mind explosion, right?

Anyways, I don't have the first clue about doing a group buy, but I'd be willing to try or hand this fantastic idea off to somebody with more experience, (or learning how to myself) if it takes off, but how about doing an MX board keycap with the new XCom logo on it?

For those of you who don't know what this glorious icon looks like here it is

Badass, right? I actually really like this logo design. Thinking maybe a row 1 (that's escape, F1-F12 etc, right?) or something of the nature.

I've read that dyesubs don't do fine details very well, so we might need to pursue doubleshots or something else for the Vigilo Confido motto.

Nope, that's backwards, apparently the logo is a job for  DYESUB.
Anyways i'm going to let this gel while I go play more XCom. Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Might also work well as a replacement for the winkey etc. (Row 6?)

EDIT 2: did a quick email to Techkeys about the possibility of doing this key as an ABS double shot. Just preliminary stuff, really. we can play with that.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2012, 23:21:23 by reaper »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Internetlad

Re: IC: XCom Keycap/Keyset
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 18:24:58 »
Reserved

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 18:33:29 »
Looks good.  In for a couple.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 18:34:44 »
When aren't you Reaper? ;) Looks nice but my wallet does not. GOOD LUCK!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:52:53 »
Looks good.  In for a couple.  :)

When are you not in for a couple :p :D ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:57:27 »
Oh, there were a few group buys here that I didn't join (lack of fund, didn't like the color, etc).   :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 20:12:27 »
Just had a second thought when I opened up XCom and saw the way they wrote it.

One letter per key, X C O M Would work well for F1-F4 if ESC was the logo.

What do you guys think?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 20:58:47 »
You've got it backwards in the OP -- dyesubs are capable of finer detail than doubleshots.  Fitting that entire logo on a single key is definitely a dyesub kind of job.  You could conceivably simplify it to the point that it could be done with doubleshots, but I don't think you could get the "Vigilo Confido" text.

The "XCOM" stylized letters could be done either way.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 21:03:52 »
You've got it backwards in the OP -- dyesubs are capable of finer detail than doubleshots.  Fitting that entire logo on a single key is definitely a dyesub kind of job.  You could conceivably simplify it to the point that it could be done with doubleshots, but I don't think you could get the "Vigilo Confido" text.

The "XCOM" stylized letters could be done either way.

Huh, thought for sure it was the other way around.

In either case, I think that the inside plastic being not unlike the "ice" (ie meth) caps from the other GB going on would look great for the XCOM writing and logo, but any ghostly blue would work just as well.

Doing ghostly blue dyesub on black might be a challenge, though.

Offline Scoliosis Jones

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 October 2012, 20:35:51 »
interested as well