Author Topic: [IC]The Toxic set [OP updated 12/08]  (Read 89835 times)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: [IC]Charcoal and Lime
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 14:20:03 »
Nah hashbaz is looking after it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:42:47 »
The Cherry legends won't be happening for months, they haven't even started rechecking the donations let alone collecting cash so we will be in for a long wait.

Sorry for the silly question, but having seen it mentioned a few times - what is this about collecting money for Cherry legends?  Is there some sort of fee that has to be paid to use them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TDub

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:50:59 »
Very interessted in this! I think these will look awesome!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:56:02 »
Have to pay to make the molds for the legends and pay for keys to be tested on each legend and make sure they'll be done right.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 16:47:27 »
Sorry for the silly question, but having seen it mentioned a few times - what is this about collecting money for Cherry legends?  Is there some sort of fee that has to be paid to use them?
At one point each key was made available for people to "adopt" and essentially donate the $45 new legend fee. All legends were spoken for pretty quickly if I remember correctly but then the money was never collected.

In my opinion for anything donation based you just collect the donations right away in case people pull out or change their mind later. Collect now, you've got it for sure, collect later and who knows what you'll get. I guess maybe it was more of a pledge thing, but I wish they would get the ball rolling, or at least let everyone know where it stands in one easy to find location since it is such a cool community driven project.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 16:59:00 »
Ah, I see, thank you.

But, given the apparent popularity of these (the number of griup buys where someone asks "Will these have Cherry legends?"), wouldn't it pay SP to make the molds themselves, then sell the keycaps at a slightly higher price?  If they are that popular they would sell, and continue to sell, and SP would recoup their initial investment?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Batmann

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 17:05:00 »
Ah, I see, thank you.

But, given the apparent popularity of these (the number of griup buys where someone asks "Will these have Cherry legends?"), wouldn't it pay SP to make the molds themselves, then sell the keycaps at a slightly higher price?  If they are that popular they would sell, and continue to sell, and SP would recoup their initial investment?

If I understood correctly, Cherry legends will only be available for geekhack group buys. SP will have to ask permission to use them.
I kind of like the idea, that makes them very limited.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 17:11:50 »
Sounds good :)  Ok, back to business.

Is there a colour code for toxic green?

The keycaps here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37270.msg709306#msg709306 look cool, but I couldn't see exactly that colour on SP web site.

The original mockup looks darker, and the mockup by Batmann looks good, but a bit washed out compared to the really bright green (if it is toxic green).

Offline Batmann

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 17:35:22 »
I took this color code CMYK  (38, 0, 78, 1), that's what google gave me ^^
looks pretty close to VAT from SP but it's hard to be sure knowing that shades vary from one screen to another
Think our best shot on this is to ask color code to SP
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2012, 18:06:33 by Batmann »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 19:51:05 »
I have no idea about CMYK, and probably little colour sense (other than liking yellow and colours close to it heh), but I poked some numbers into GIMP and came up with this:

Looking specifically at F5..F8:

F5 = 6 0 63 0 = the middle of the Enter key from the photo with the toxic green on page 1
F6 = 78 0 94 4 = the original mockup colour
F7 = 20 0 51 19 = the second mockup (a few posts up)
F8 = 38 0 78 1 = the colours you said you used

To me they all look different.  Perhaps something screwed up saving the file, or GIMP interprets the CMYK colours differently or something.

Personally I like the F8 colour - what you said you got from Google, although it is quite different to the mockup.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 20:18:06 »
I appreciate the effort but the only color that matters is labeled "VAT" in the following image, which I believe is the brightest shade of green SP can do without going custom colored (which I don't even know if they can do)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 20:42:15 »
Make of it what you will, and allowing for different lighting and picture clarity etc., but GIMP reckons that VAT is 31 0 53 24.

Damn Topre!  They have all the good colours.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 20:50:26 »
Here is the above image with both Win keys in this VAT colour (approximately).  They are a pretty close match to what Batmann said, so it is about the closest to the toxic green.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 20:59:05 »
Prefer this new one way more, as long as the green isnt the same color as the green from the CCnG.

I'm in for a set if that green num row comes standard with option for tsangan's kit since I'm only using keyboards with 1.5x mods these days. lol

You so fancy.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline nullstring

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 21:27:43 »
color me interested.
I'd also like to see other colors on charcoal like this.
Amber, Blue, and Green.

EDIT: I am not really feeling that toxic color...
Any thoughts on Amber or Blue? It seems like we have plenty of good options with those colors.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2012, 21:31:55 by nullstring »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 22:42:30 »
color me interested.
Amber, Blue, and Green.

Any thoughts on Amber or Blue? It seems like we have plenty of good options with those colors.
After this toxic set I think a light blue color like signature plastics BBQ might also look good on dark or light charcoal. I personally like darker sets now, they seem more functional long term because you can not really notice as much when they get dirty. Also amber is pretty close to orange, and the OCKC set will be orange on light charcoal supposedly. Been waiting weeks for the group buy to get started *shrug*

Offline AriesX

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 22:54:02 »
Id be interested in the set if the orange IC takes too long, also this keybaord would look sick with some glow in the dark caps

Offline kinruan

• SWAG=Specially Weaponized Asian Grandma
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:02:17 »
i like VAT in the color tag
If the world ends tomorrow, what should we have for dinner tonight?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:47:35 »
I don't know... I mean VAG is always a good choice, no?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:48:46 »
I think every time the full color ring comes out, that's a suggestion.

Not that I'm complaining.

/bro moment.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:50:13 »
you mean a broment?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:52:25 »
I think we should start an IC for VAG on VAG.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:53:23 »
IC VAG? is that like when you put bengay on your--
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:53:50 »
you mean a broment?

Of course I do, what I did before, that was a test to see who was a real bro and who wasn't.  Call it a bro-check, if you will.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:55:21 »
I think we should start an IC for VAG on VAG.

I dunno, that's not that far off from blue waffle hues, I'm not a fan of that kind of VAG on VAG

IC VAG? is that like when you put bengay on your--

First, it gets cold to soothe the pain, then it gets what exactly?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 23:59:17 »
I've asked this before... (just not publicly)  Is there an INA color code?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:00:38 »
If only there were a range of indigo colors for that...

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:03:25 »
So if B* is blue, and Y* is yellow and R* is red... wtf is V?!!??

Black and brown being some odd code is cool... W* is white...   gaaaaah!
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:04:55 »
I'm trying to figure out why v is green, I bet I could find the answer with google, but that would be like cheating.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:05:16 »
Who wants to run a VAG RA set?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:05:35 »

Verde

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:06:04 »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:06:45 »

Verde

See?  Just easier for someone else to say it.  Though, considering where I live, I'm surprised it didn't click earlier for me.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:11:05 »
color me interested.
Amber, Blue, and Green.

After this toxic set I think a light blue color like signature plastics BBQ might also look good on dark or light charcoal. I personally like darker sets now, they seem more functional long term because you can not really notice as much when they get dirty. Also amber is pretty close to orange, and the OCKC set will be orange on light charcoal supposedly. Been waiting weeks for the group buy to get started *shrug*

If you're going to do green, I get to do blue, deal? I had plans in the works to do both of those but I don't mind each of us doing one so we don't end up doing duplicates. I do want to do it on black though, so maybe down the road we can do a round 2 where we swap, and you do a blue on charcoal and I do the green. Make sense?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 00:33:11 »
I don't have a problem with that Ragnorock. I liked the Lambda group buy so I wanted to try a big one. Maybe I'll hate it and stick to smaller ones, maybe I'll love it. Who knows.

Also since the thread is going way off topic with little to no more input I think we are ready to start the group buy. Give it a week or two to get all the mock-ups together and an order page created and we'll get this started.

I had an idea to try and promote some of the small businesses at geekhack through this set. For instance if keypop.net or techkeys.us wanted to let us use some of their legends to make keys in VAT and GX variants to match this set they will get tons of free publicity just for sharing legends. There might even be ways to bundle in some QWERKey's caps or NIQMOD's caps, and I'm interested in other ways to promote other vendors here. The holy grail would be to bundle in a Toxic green CC  :eek: :))

Offline rainbowshy

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 01:15:35 »
Interested in this for sure, including an ISO add-on and either a modifier set or accent stripe -- can't quite decide.
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Brown | QPad MK-50 MX Red

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 02:20:56 »
I would really like a Toxic Green/Lime Green NIQMODS. Please try to work that in.

Offline Womble

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 06:07:07 »
Definitely interested

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 07:04:48 »
Hi everyone! I'm really interested in this as it is what I'm looking for my keyboard, i just have a question, will there be a spacebar. In one of the set? Also is there a way to have the line of the backspace in the same green as the set?

I'm sorry if those questions have already been asked, but i'm in class, i'll check the topic when i get back home if nobody answered me yet.

Offline nunobet

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 08:22:17 »
definitely interested!!!!

Offline TDub

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 10:14:21 »
Will the |\ key also be available in black on green? I prefer the gap between enter and backspace not to be in a different color, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 10:22:22 »
It's most likely going to stay the way in the mockup. Reason being that \ and ` are input keys, and Enter and Backspace keys are functions keys. It's also more of a classic/traditional way of coloring

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 10:43:27 »
Both will be available in both colors because a modifier set will be available. I will also have extra space bars available, maybe even in VAT.

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 11:52:23 »
*Declaration of Interest*
Logitech G710+

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:07:59 »
Both will be available in both colors because a modifier set will be available. I will also have extra space bars available, maybe even in VAT.

Would it push the cost up much to include a spacebar of each colour and ` and \ keys in each colour?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:09:57 »
I'm sure they'd be extra, though probably not much since they'll already be set up with the machine and colors.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:11:27 »
I have to admit the " \ keys" would be awesome to add! I don't like the fact that it has to stay of another color :S

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:14:32 »
Well you wouldn't want a "|\" in GX on VAT unless you had the green modifier set, and it will come with the green modifier set. The base set will come with the color stripe accent similar to how Sanctuary does, the modifier set will be separate.

In a week or two we will have all the mock-ups complete and start the group buy and it will all be more clear.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:17:48 »
Well you wouldn't want a "|\" in GX on VAT unless you had the green modifier set, and it will come with the green modifier set. The base set will come with the color stripe accent similar to how Sanctuary does, the modifier set will be separate.

In a week or two we will have all the mock-ups complete and start the group buy and it will all be more clear.

the thing is I'm not thinking about taking the complete set, I'm just interested in the modifier set :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 13:20:10 »
I'm in for the whole set, so the one key should be an option, if not the both for others who aren't. Though they'd have to be a separate option, right?