Author Topic: What Antivirus do you use?  (Read 56456 times)

Offline yui

Re: What Antivirus do you use?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 08:02:36 »
against targeted attacks, nothing does anything, against automated attacks it does at least blocks what it knows to be malware, it is why i do consider it as above nothing, with nothing you can get infected by even the oldest and simplest viruses, so yes i do agree that it is not enough to be safe, but then nothing is so where do you draw the line?
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 08:31:06 »
against targeted attacks, nothing does anything, against automated attacks it does at least blocks what it knows to be malware, it is why i do consider it as above nothing, with nothing you can get infected by even the oldest and simplest viruses, so yes i do agree that it is not enough to be safe, but then nothing is so where do you draw the line?
Blocks malware?
What kind of an idiot malware maker ignores the basic default OS protection? Who's it going to infect? 
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 08:34:29 »
Blocks malware?
What kind of an idiot malware maker ignores the basic default OS protection? Who's it going to infect?
well every older malware that existed before it, and peoples aiming for older machines, that have not been updated because too important to have downtime for update, or idiots that disable it outright because it make the pc slower, the number of potential infection is smaller but not 0 and some can be rather juicy.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 14:03:23 »
When I was younger I remember trying a few AVs like Norton and McAfee but got super annoyed with the updates and notifications to purchase ****.

I don't think I've used a single AV, not even MWB or CCleaner in over a decade. I just don't download sketchy stuff/click on random links.

Offline yui

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 02:04:34 »
When I was younger I remember trying a few AVs like Norton and McAfee but got super annoyed with the updates and notifications to purchase ****.

I don't think I've used a single AV, not even MWB or CCleaner in over a decade. I just don't download sketchy stuff/click on random links.
CCleaner will do absolutely nothing against any malware, not its job, and well your computer will, without you asking it, download stuff from sites you never heard off, those things are called adverts, and can be compromised to contain a payload, so you will browse a completely normal and safe site (ex. The Guardian or any site with ads) and randomly can get infected with no fault from the site or you, well some fault from you for running no AV but not the point, only because the advertisement agency did not properly check the ads (and it does somewhat happen often, even did to google not too long ago).
there exist some free AV that are less intrusive with asking you to buy, from my experience Comodo is pretty good with not being too annoying(although have not used it in years so maybe has changed) and ClamAV is an opensource AV engine that does not have any paid version, but it is kinda meh, it was built to check emails not run continuous on a pc, but still better than having nothing at all.

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 11:32:16 »
Yes I'm aware CCleaner isn't that type of program, I was just making the point that I don't use programs like that to 'Protect against x' or 'Increase performance' etc.

I'm also aware you can get infected from no fault of your own, but I still don't see any free AVs protecting you from something like that. I might be wrong, maybe you've been saved numerous times by adding that extra layer of protection.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 21:00:40 »
I'm also aware you can get infected from no fault of your own, but I still don't see any free AVs protecting you from something like that. I might be wrong, maybe you've been saved numerous times by adding that extra layer of protection.
Web pages can link to hundreds of sites in the background.

How modern AV's protect you against a lot of that stuff is not with a patch, it's with proxies, firewalls and DNS, they simply block your system from contacting it in the first place. This is why Norton and others started implementing firewalls into their products and became more invasive. Your browser also more than likely also does some of this and it's probably saved you far more times than you will ever know. You can also use these systems to act as a privacy system to hide from your ISP as well as get access to these dns systems without using the AV, adguard is a popular one.

AVs do however block certain code from running and it's not just that they block code, they they can block different code. While many AV makers share a database of exploits, most also run their own independent labs analyzing and finding ways to block this stuff so not all are created equal. Some gain protection for exploits earlier than others, some do not block as much older stuff... They all have their pros and cons.

Fire up something like Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger and then hit up a few random websites, better yet, hit up popular news sites and take a look and see just how many different domains your browser is accessing without you knowing, not to mention how many companies are tracking you.  I've seen websites have 250 blocked items on a singe page, I've also had a website hit me with 700 cookies for tracking purposes.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 00:56:37 »
Never heard of Privacy Badger before so I'll check that out, but I've definitely seen uBlock with a few hundred blocked items on some webpages - not really something I've paid a ton of attention to however.

I've had piHole running for almost a year though.. I haven't logged into the admin interface since I installed it so I don't know if theres any interesting analystics to see there, but it does a pretty good job, especially on mobile devices where there aren't much options for adblockers (especially iOS devices).

Offline yui

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 04:57:24 »
Yes I'm aware CCleaner isn't that type of program, I was just making the point that I don't use programs like that to 'Protect against x' or 'Increase performance' etc.

i have a few times ran into bad adverts on good site that had gotten blocked by one of my AV, it is somewhat rare though, and well it was blocked so i do not know what it would have done
Fire up something like Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger and then hit up a few random websites, better yet, hit up popular news sites and take a look and see just how many different domains your browser is accessing without you knowing, not to mention how many companies are tracking you.  I've seen websites have 250 blocked items on a singe page, I've also had a website hit me with 700 cookies for tracking purposes.
and i tried to run privacy badger but it never seemed to do much, although it may be because noscript was also running, i have seen sites with about 250 blocked domains in noscripts, only once mind you and i do not remember what it was... and my noscript is set up so that it blocks everything by default, and i add exceptions as i go, so even some of googles domains are still blocked

and yeah pihole will help, but it only is a blacklist, if something is not in it it becomes useless (like windows defender)

Offline andy55

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 12:22:40 »
I use free antivitrus Avast for a few months already, works well

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 21:46:01 »
and i tried to run privacy badger but it never seemed to do much, although it may be because noscript was also running, i have seen sites with about 250 blocked domains in noscripts, only once mind you and i do not remember what it was... and my noscript is set up so that it blocks everything by default, and i add exceptions as i go, so even some of googles domains are still blocked
Privacy Badger doesn't work like any of the others, it notices extraneous sites that track you and after it sees it a third time it then blocks it but it only works after Ublock, Noscript and Pihole have been used.

If you already use a whitelist then PB will not do anything for you. Ublock also should also be almost useless.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yui

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 00:45:13 »
If you already use a whitelist then PB will not do anything for you. Ublock also should also be almost useless.
well then yeah it is why it was doing a whole lot of nothing :) i thought it would run before noscript as i installed it before it but seems like it does not. although even with noscript ublock still does some work, especially on youtube where is sometimes blocks 2k+ ads, my pc is too old for all those ads...

Offline shortdog6

• Casper Keys
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 22:33:01 »
Kaspersky

Offline DELLA KEY

• Formerly 'AFA STUDIO'
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 19:08:42 »
I use AVAST as a recommendation from people. Okay and good.  :thumb:

Offline BlueberryIsHere

• Formerly KaptainKitsune
  • Just a normal guy
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 07:41:01 »
If you really need an AV I recommend MalwareBytes and ByteDefender. You can go without an AV (what I do) assuming you aren't stupid and don't download everything you see. Assuming you are on Windows, they have a built in AV (Windows Defender) that does a serviceable job. 
I was told to put something here.
So I did

Offline kizuna

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 07:51:29 »
When I used to run windows, I used Spybot Search & Destroy and malwarebytes. I never ran antivirus and it seemed to me it was a lot more likely to get malware then a virus. I have gotten malware but never a virus on a windows pc.

Offline sapisoi

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 12:42:14 »
windows defender all the way   ;D

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 16:35:29 »
Not really using any AV at the moment as switched to Arch Linux a little while back, and just relying on the fact there is a very minimal amount of virus targeting Linux systems.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 18:37:45 »
Not really using any AV at the moment as switched to Arch Linux a little while back, and just relying on the fact there is a very minimal amount of virus targeting Linux systems.

Just as long as you install security updates regularly ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 23:02:14 »
I'd argue even an out of date Linux install is far more safe than Windows, especially if behind a hardware firewall like you have in your router/modem.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 20:22:22 »
I like Sophos. It’s fairly unobtrusive and stays out of the way, and if you have a lot of computers the licensing is great. I can cover 10 computers with my subscription. I think I’m using 7 of the licenses.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 06:44:19 »
Moderna

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 03:39:24 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 21 August 2021, 03:49:58 »
Well since switching to Linux I have been using ClamAV to scan some directories every month or so.
So far no problems. :)

Offline yui

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 06:22:37 »
from my experience it seems like most big linux distros have some kind of virus/malware detecting and mitigation out of the box anyhow, with strong firewalls, LXC, apparmor etc. and with most virus squarely targeted at windows it makes it safer, still JS malware is completely portable often across all OS and architectures, so still not foolproof (JS or other web based vectors are somewhat popular because they can attack anything, from phones to cars to desktop to fridges with no discrimination)
oh and i came across qubesOS, a security through virtualization oriented distro, can be interesting.

Offline Burgo

• Burgo's Computing Solutions
    • Burgo's Computing Solutions
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 20:45:21 »
Bitdefender Total security
Computer Repair | Northern Tasmania: https://burgoscomputingsolutions.com.au

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 23:48:39 »
still JS malware is completely portable often across all OS and architectures, so still not foolproof (JS or other web based vectors are somewhat popular because they can attack anything, from phones to cars to desktop to fridges with no discrimination)
Stuff like that has faaaaar less ability on Linux and even Mac compared to what it does with Windows or phones.

The trouble with Windows and phones is app control is minimal and it can ride that app's permissions, and since few actually close programs or reboots (and Chrome likes to restore your session, once it's in it will be there a looong time just hoovering info. The worst for this is probably Chrome because if the malware can set itself as an extension it can also propagate across all of your logged in Chrome installs on all devices. This was a big deal not long ago when an ad vendor starting buying long trusted extensions and injecting ads into them. Suddenly people were getting ads allover, removing the extension command didn't propagate, so you removed it on desktop then you'd use your phone and it would reinfect the desktop because you still had it installed on your phone, just a repeating loop. I believe they fixed the delete propagation but installing will still spread across devices.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline maybejari

• Honkertown Studio
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 15:24:04 »
I personally use Malwarebytes.

Offline germpy

• and most importantly, home depot tools.
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 11:19:06 »
malwarebytes has always done the job for me, and i use it with fairly good results in cybersecurity competition. i heard tronscript is good for assisting seriously screwed up computers though.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 02:14:31 »
MS Defender forced another update that broke my system overnight. It's super cool how Win 10 tracks my least used times and updates then, also cool how turning off updates does nothing, and very cool how it's baked into Win 10 and you cannot remove or replace Defender. And what I really love is when it does take an update without your permission even though you told it not to, Win 10 holds your internet hostage until you reboot and install the unwanted update.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 19 December 2021, 09:51:22 »
you cannot remove or replace Defender.
If you use an alternate (such as Avast) it disables/replaces Defender.
It won't completely disable it, it still gets updates but for the most part it's non-functional, it's certainly not scanning anything.

It's frustrating when the software I dropped (Avast) because it was disobedient (scanning files even when "disabled") is actually more obedient than Defender, but that's the current state of Windows.

BTW,
If you think Win10 nannies you just wait for Win11, it's much worse and I'm willing to bet Win12 will be worse still.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 05:13:48 »
Well since switching to Linux I have been using ClamAV to scan some directories every month or so.
Is this even a common occurrence to find virus on Linux?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 10:05:27 »
Is this even a common occurrence to find virus on Linux?
Extremely rare to non-existent due to how Linux handles vulnerabilities, so long as you don't give something root/admin and keep up to date, odds of an antivirus ever doing anything for YOU is extremely rare.

The biggest reason for running an antivirus on Linux is if you run W.I.N.E. and/or to protect other systems (Windows) on your network, it may be idle and you may be immune but all it takes is some Windows user to see it and get a bit curious and now you have a virus running through your Windows machines (or W.I.N.E.).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline vkeycaps

• Artisan keycaps maker
    • Website/Store
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 12 February 2022, 22:39:12 »
Never thought about W.I.N.E from that perspective. I am not an expert tho

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 02:02:39 »
Linux is my antivirus
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline Tastenplatte

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 05:06:03 »
Linux is my antivirus

Do you still use windows for stuff?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 25 February 2022, 09:14:15 »
Linux is my antivirus

Do you still use windows for stuff?
That's where it gets tricky and it varies greatly but getting better every day.

Very few with anti-cheat work on W.I.N.E. but most others can (Valve is making progress here).
Sometimes it's easier than Windows to install and backup games and sometimes the performance, especially older games, can be better than in Windows, other times it is an absolute nightmare to get working, might run slower and whether it works at all can depend on multiple variables; what version of W.I.N.E., what GPU driver is in your repo, and even more sketch, what compositor you're running. Wayland is still not well supported by W.I.N.E. and even when it works a simple update can break it.

Some Steam games are quite easy, like the Borderlands series, I think it's like one minor change to the start command to get running, takes all of 30 seconds once you know what to do and it runs great after that. Some games are even native, like Left 4 Dead which runs great (of course).

I have one old Windows game (Command and Conquer series) that while it took a bit to get it working, now runs better and more stable than Windows and I've been using the same install for years on multiple installs by just backing up and copying over a single folder (no re-install needed), try that with Windows. GTA San Andreas is similar. The same happens with my my graphics editor (I haaaaaaate GIMP) and 3d rendering program, it's a simple copy paste to put them on any Linux system.

Compare that to Fallout New Vegas and 4, while I have gotten them to work, the first time was tough, second was easy (I took notes) and the third time I gave up after a few hours. The exact same install method that worked before no longer does and this is not uncommon. Performance was almost on par with Windows the first time but not quite there the second. GTA 5 and GTA online, Bioshock 1 & 2 were all minimal hassle and ran just fine, not sure how they compared to Windows but ran fine however Bioshock Infinite was a non starter.

I attribute most of these issues with my use of Wayland and since I have a spare drive, sometimes it's just easier to drop into Windows. If it's a new (to me) game, I try and get it to run in Linux as I'm probably going to be playing for a while and it's worth doing it to not dual boot all the time. If it's an older game I've beaten and just have an urge to play I will usually give it a shot but I won't spend hours on it because sometimes I only have a few hours to play in the first place so I just drop to Windows.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Versaknight

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:16:20 »
windows defender is fine imo.

Offline cherriehirzel

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 14 April 2022, 03:08:58 »
I use AVAST premium

Offline jacobalbertus1

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 13:42:59 »
i use standard windows defened most antivirus ends up pissing me off in the end
Model f 122 USB industrial paint (daily), model f xt inbox almost nos Ellipse approved, NOS model m ssk , Model F 77 for class (special needs I was told I had to use a mech or a key beeper by the school) model m 1391401 silver label ( this was a factory messup where they stuck a 139101 sticker on it and sent it with a ps/2) model m 1390131 model m unicomp industrial case modded  and a model f at

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 12:33:33 »
i currently use Norton just for the reason that i have been using it since i got too active with computers, if I'm being fully honest it's a pretty bad antivirus and is constantly giving me ad's and saying "You have 2.38 GB of wasted space on your computer! Lets fix that up for only 15 USD a month!" or stuff like that trying to get me to buy more of their products.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 08:14:30 »
Just Windows Defender, personally.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 10:24:14 »
When I got my first windows computer, a friend gave me the best advice... just don't click on links that you don't know what they are. I have lived by that rule and have never had a virus.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 12:03:21 »
When I got my first windows computer, a friend gave me the best advice... just don't click on links that you don't know what they are. I have lived by that rule and have never had a virus.
That you know of.
The advice you got was true way back when, for viruses, it's not true today and hasn't been for a looong time due to other forms of malware which is far more common.

Today's bare minimum is to stay away from shady sites, use Defender, do a scan with something like Malware Bytes on occasion and run an ad blocker, Ublock preferred. Better still, get rid of Chrome and not use Edge, preferably while also using a tool to knock out Windows telemetry.

I would recommend you read through the rest of this thread.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More