Author Topic: Ebay forcing sellers to use bank accounts from 31st May  (Read 14917 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Ebay forcing sellers to use bank accounts from 31st May
« on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 03:51:32 »
Apparently Ebay is forcing sellers to use bank accounts from 31st May. I just got email about it.
If you are a selling you need to connect your bank account to your ebay account in order to manage your sales.
They no longer going to use Paypal account as a form of payment destination - ebay will take off your selling fees straight away and will transfer you sale payment to your account in 2 working days.
Interesting...
I will have to open new bank account for this now, dont want to connect my live bank account to this crap...

How do you guys feel about this, fellow ebayers?
I'm not happy at all... :mad:
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 May 2021, 07:00:15 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Ebay forcing sellers to use bank accounts from 13st May
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 07:20:05 »
That is abominable. They have not sent me anything about it, and they usually sent those things out with lots of notice.

I did notice, however, that when I got a refund a couple of weeks ago it went into my bank account rather than my Paypal account. It was only around $20 and I was busy so I didn't really think about it at the time.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 07:25:04 »
Yeah, I got an email about that too - I don't really care tbh. If I get my money, then I'm happy.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 07:51:35 »
As long as it is only for money going into my bank account, and they never share my bank account details with anyone, I would be fine with it personally and maybe prefer that. But I still think it bad of them not to offer multiple options.

For private payments from buyers to sellers in continental Europe, bank transfer between bank accounts are otherwise very common. Private payments are required by EU-wide law to be free of any transaction fees.
While my salary account has the same number as my birth date/social security number (Sweden started using the SSN for everything a long time ago), I collect private payments to a savings account with a different number.

And BTW, if more people stopped using PayPal, I'd think that would only be a good thing. I have very little confidence in them these days.

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 08:56:50 »
And BTW, if more people stopped using PayPal, I'd think that would only be a good thing. I have very little confidence in them these days.

why? just interested, i've always been happy with paypal.

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 09:14:51 »
I'm ok only if its one way transfer - to the account and make sure that ebay has no access to my account.
I dont know yet how that works, but hope this is it.

Imagine how many people now will be creating new bank accounts just for this - I'm one of them, as I dont want to use my current savings account for ebay
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 09:51:22 »
They only asked for my account number and sort code, so it would be impossible for them to take money out of my accout.

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 14:57:33 »
They only asked for my account number and sort code, so it would be impossible for them to take money out of my accout.

Cool.
I wonder how chargeback will work with this.
Like if someone would like to screw you over and after buying your item call his account being hacked and start chargeback...

Offline foxieze

• i like code.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 07:29:49 »

Cool.
I wonder how chargeback will work with this.
Like if someone would like to screw you over and after buying your item call his account being hacked and start chargeback...

i don't expect much would change and it would just be a very similar process to how they did it with paypal. i don't know how that is though, as never gone through something like that.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 09:27:31 »

why? just interested, i've always been happy with paypal.
I have also been happy with PayPal for a long time, but I've heard many horror stories throughout the years about people getting their accounts locked for all sorts of reasons.

Recently, they changed their login system to use 2FA to phone you and give you a one-time code when you want to log in ... but they failed to verify that the phone number worked before they started doing it.
I believe that I did enter my phone number correctly... However, there is a a mix-up with country code and area code, which means that I still can't log in.

Blaming Corona, they don't have any phone support ... Instead they smugly refer to their "help center" — which would require that I first log in.
And they now also want to charge customers a yearly fee if they don't use PayPal. These things together is beyond shameful.

Plus, they have got involved with Bitcoin — which is a crime against humanity.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 May 2021, 09:33:35 by Findecanor »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 18:00:39 »
They absolutely can take money out.
Then how do you expect them to take out listing fees?
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 07:02:08 »
They absolutely can take money out.
Then how do you expect them to take out listing fees?

No they don't.
They take selling fees from buyers payments before send them to you. Then listing fees you have to pay yourself.
At least this is how it sounds.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Ebay forcing sellers to use bank accounts from 31st May
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 15:09:11 »
Never got this email or heard anything of the sort and am currently selling stuff on eBay. Seems sus they don't let all sellers know about this.

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 15:40:35 »
Never got this email or heard anything of the sort and am currently selling stuff on eBay. Seems sus they don't let all sellers know about this.

I spoke with ebay support - they do that in intervals, so not all sellers will see it straight away.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 21:27:53 »
Apparently Ebay is forcing sellers to use bank accounts from 31st May. I just got email about it.
If you are a selling you need to connect your bank account to your ebay account in order to manage your sales.
They no longer going to use Paypal account as a form of payment destination - ebay will take off your selling fees straight away and will transfer you sale payment to your account in 2 working days.
Interesting...
I will have to open new bank account for this now, dont want to connect my live bank account to this crap...

How do you guys feel about this, fellow ebayers?
I'm not happy at all... :mad:

People still gonna get away with it  :confused:

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 02:31:59 »
What I find strange is that they've added direct payment options too.  Why is this strange?  Because us old folk will remember when paypal was part of ebay and something (anti-monopoly law?) meant the companies had to be split.  If they couldn't do it all in one company then why can they now?  Unless they've bribed whoever to say that competing with yourself is OK?  Either way something fishy is going on.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 03:06:10 »
Yeah, I was shoked gettign thsat email, almost as shocked as Bill Gates divorce.

I'm getting new bank account this weekend, just for that.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 05:04:54 »
What I find strange is that they've added direct payment options too.  Why is this strange?  Because us old folk will remember when paypal was part of ebay and something (anti-monopoly law?) meant the companies had to be split.  If they couldn't do it all in one company then why can they now?  Unless they've bribed whoever to say that competing with yourself is OK?  Either way something fishy is going on.

Your bank account is much more tightly identified to you, with Pay Pal allowing payments using credit and debit cards it was prone to lots of abuse, hijacked accounts, one time credit cards, etc...  With Ebay connecting straight to your account you can't just use whatever was sitting in someone's Pay Pal account that you hacked and abscond with the goods.  If you manage to get into Ebay and use someone's account, now you have the bank to deal with as well and they don't like losing money.  When it went through Pay Pal banks could offload blame to Pay Pal, "they acted as the bank, let them deal with it".

Pay pal has been warned in the past they were acting too much like a bank, without banking protections, I'm guessing it finally came to bite them with all scalping and cons going around right now.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 05:18:02 »

Your bank account is much more tightly identified to you, with Pay Pal allowing payments using credit and debit cards it was prone to lots of abuse, hijacked accounts, one time credit cards, etc...  With Ebay connecting straight to your account you can't just use whatever was sitting in someone's Pay Pal account that you hacked and abscond with the goods.  If you manage to get into Ebay and use someone's account, now you have the bank to deal with as well and they don't like losing money.  When it went through Pay Pal banks could offload blame to Pay Pal, "they acted as the bank, let them deal with it".

Pay pal has been warned in the past they were acting too much like a bank, without banking protections, I'm guessing it finally came to bite them with all scalping and cons going around right now.

So you're saying it should be safer with bank account in process?
I had few chanrgeback issues in the past, when some ******* bought something from me on ebay and once it was posted, they ran chargeback process saying their accounts were highjacked.
One once my proofing of postage saved me from losing money, but for some reason once it didn't.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 06:21:27 »
Actually after what just happened, disregard all of that, you can still buy with pay Pal, you just can't get paid with it.

This will stop some fraud sellers, no point posting scam graphics cards, shoes, Playstations, etc. if you can't actually get the money, but why only protect one side of that transaction? Buyers are scamming on those as well so why only so why only protect one side of the transaction in this manner?  Taxes. Too many sellers were not reporting their income.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sniping

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 10:34:19 »
the bank account thing wasn't a big thing to me, but as far as i can tell they also raised the buy it now auction fees. it's 12.55% now and it's a considerable chunk of money. i sold something the other week for $780 and they ate over $100 of fees. pretty ridiculous.

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 05 May 2021, 10:41:27 »
the bank account thing wasn't a big thing to me, but as far as i can tell they also raised the buy it now auction fees. it's 12.55% now and it's a considerable chunk of money. i sold something the other week for $780 and they ate over $100 of fees. pretty ridiculous.

No, its less actually - it was 10% for ebay + around 4.5% for Paypal so far. So its a bit less now with bank account.
Selling fees I mean.

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 31 May 2021, 15:18:40 »
Well, it was time...
So opened new account and gave details to ebay.
So looks like they WILL have access to my bank account - by Direct debit.

This was under the "go ahead" button...

By clicking or tapping the button, you confirm the information is accurate and you authorise the respective eBay entities to deduct amounts owed to eBay from your bank account.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 04:09:32 »
No, its less actually - it was 10% for ebay + around 4.5% for Paypal so far. So its a bit less now with bank account.
Selling fees I mean.
It depends on the category.
Be VERY aware of category, some are a $20 fee plus 2% final value fee,  I recently got nailed by this.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 June 2021, 13:32:04 »
Well, it was time...
So opened new account and gave details to ebay.

This was under the "go ahead" button...

By clicking or tapping the button, you confirm the information is accurate and you authorise the respective eBay entities to deduct amounts owed to eBay from your bank account.

Yeah, on that note I'll stick to Heatware, Reddit, Craigslist, and many other sites I can sell through rather than that.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 05:18:27 »
What the ****.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline phinix

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 05:53:57 »
What the ****.

Yep, they send you small amounts to confirm bank account (liek Paypal used to do) then take them back themselves, so setting up a full Direct Debit.

Initially, I thought that it will work one way, as they would take all fees from the buyer's payment and then transfer me the rest of it, but looks like they can withdraw money from my account anytime anyway.

Now, I alreasdy sold 2 items with this new setting.
First sold on Thursday - it Monday now and money still not on my account.
Funny, as ebay send you email saying, its paid, send item now. F** no, not sending anything till I actually have funds on my side...

I don't like, but what can you do... :(

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 03:39:22 »
Funny, as ebay send you email saying, its paid, send item now. F** no, not sending anything till I actually have funds on my side...
I guess they're waiting for the money to go from their paypal account to their bank, then they have to sit on it for a day or two to get some interest before forwarding it to you.  They're too big to not pay up eventually but it's not a comfortable situation for casual sellers.

How long did it take for you to get paid?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 07:16:26 »
Ebay made a mistake by forcing sellers to stop using paypal. The new system is just a huge pain in the ass. I will never sell anything through Ebay again.

Offline phinix

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 09:49:48 »
I guess they're waiting for the money to go from their paypal account to their bank, then they have to sit on it for a day or two to get some interest before forwarding it to you.  They're too big to not pay up eventually but it's not a comfortable situation for casual sellers.

How long did it take for you to get paid?

Well, it depends - when it was sold Thursday-Friday, I get paid Tuesday following week.

I sold something on Monday, money gets to ebay same day, then they "processing" them on Tuesday, then its transferred to my bank account on Wednesday.
****ers keep my money for a day - I know how bank investments work, so they use my money for a day, which is huge in profit on bank's side.

Offline iri

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 14:14:25 »
Ebay made a mistake by forcing sellers to stop using paypal. The new system is just a huge pain in the ass. I will never sell anything through Ebay again.
What's the alternative?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 13:04:44 »

I just sold a few things and I didn't find it that troublesome. You just need your bank's routing and account number, which is no different than any other account transfer.

I got paid out the day I updated my bank info, but maybe I missed a step and will get a nasty-gram from Ebay soon  ;D
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u