Author Topic: What to choose....? Mechanical Keyboards  (Read 1728 times)

Offline leeboii

What to choose....? Mechanical Keyboards
« on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 02:44:11 »
Hi Everyone,

I have decided to invest in a mechanical keyboard, but I don't know which one to choose...

I own a macbook pro (don't hate) so obviously I need a keyboard which is compatible with it. I'm just a student and I use my computer for productivity and i rarely play games on it. Whilst I work, my parents are not so far away so I don't really want to disturb them nor do I want to go insane from an overdose of clicky clack syndrome and hate mechanical keyboards for the rest of my life.

Here are the contestants

1. Das Keyboard (Mac version) http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-for-mac/
2. Matias Quiet Pro http://www.matias.ca/quietpro/mac/
3. Matias Laptop Pro http://matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/    <---- because it's wireless (prefer it to be wireless)

I live in Australia so sadly I am unable to find these keyboards in store and try them...

Thanks for your time :D

Offline arkazar

• im CRAZY!!!!
Re: What to choose....? Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 14:14:49 »
hello and welcome to the forum.

i would recommend Das Keyboard...its fantastic one!

cheers

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 01:27:10 »
The Laptop Pro has is all over the Das (which isn't really quiet anyway).

The only real downside I can think of to the Laptop Pro is that its currently on pre-order and won't ship for at least a couple of weeks. Plus it doesn't have a real USB hub like the wired Matias models. And some people dislike the case finish (OK, that's 3 things).

Otherwise if you want something quiet and tactile, the Thinkpad USB keyboard is a great choice. Its scissor switch, not mechanical, but it feels excellent.

Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline leeboii

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:12:19 »
Is it worth it though; matias? or the Das and maybe add some dampeners of my own?

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:52:31 »
Is it worth it though; matias? or the Das and maybe add some dampeners of my own?
I am still waiting for my own mini Tactile Pro to arrive, and I don't know really how the switches feel. However, I've used an Apple Extended II which has the feel Matias is trying to replicate.

Some people have been reporting that the Matias is more tactile than the various Cherry switches, and at least one person has been comparing the feel of the Matias favorably to Topre.

I also do not think that putting o-rings in Cherry switches is really satisfactory for most people to use long term. It puts the actuation point near the bottom of the stroke, and doesn't help with the clack noises on the return strokes either. My theory is that Cherry was only ever truly interested in the industrial (factory floor) and retail (busy sales floor) markets and cares little for people working in offices (who need quiet) for some reason. Their MX blue makes a perplexingly obnoxious sound (which could nicely cut through the noise of a busy factory or sales floor); the MX brown is a half-hearted attempt that misses the right level of tactility and resistance by a mile.

Is a Laptop Pro worth it? Well, how many bluetooth mechanical mini keyboards do you know of? Personally I didn't need wireless so I ordered the USB version for $129. In any case, I know that if I don't like it or get tired of it I can sell to to someone else at a good price... these keyboards are very popular and keep selling out.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.