Author Topic: [Aero Keys] Making Keycaps  (Read 59196 times)

Offline rm-rf

Re: Summer Project: Aero Keys (crafting keycaps)
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 01:59:29 »
Pretty big update with the HHKB Mod Sets, any feedback is greatly appreciated!

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

pretty damn nice!
are there going to be more color ways in the future?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 07:53:25 »

pretty damn nice!
are there going to be more color ways in the future?

Maybe a light blue?

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 08:18:39 »
I like the opaque sets on the HHKB. Not a big fan of transparent ones but that's personal preference

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:19:57 »
Yes, we definitely like to experiment with colors and would like to expand the selection! The hardest part is getting every key of the Mod set to come out perfect, as one imperfect key will make the whole set incomplete. Once we have a solid process of making the sets, we can branch out to more colors and combinations. Right now, we are trying to stick to what colors work for us.

We also prefer to have opaque sets over the translucent ones, but sometimes our colorant mix ratio doesn't go as planned... We hope there's someone out there that likes translucent mods, or else we'd be using up a lot of material for nothing!  :confused:

Anyways, Marshal and I want to have a raffle-style sale soon, within the coming weeks. We'll make a post in the Artisan Services section when we're ready :)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 13:34:43 »

sweet!

any chance for realforce mods? :D

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:05:04 »

sweet!

We'd need a blank PBT Realforce mods so we could make molds of them :( Ideally, after our first sale, we could afford to buy PBT mod sets of other boards so that we can branch from HHKB mods. No promises though, it's just an idea...

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 14:06:54 »

sweet!

We'd need a blank PBT Realforce mods so we could make molds of them :( Ideally, after our first sale, we could afford to buy PBT mod sets of other boards so that we can branch from HHKB mods. No promises though, it's just an idea...

all good! glws/production :)

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:48:48 »
Here's the link to our showcase: (Tons of photos, I apologize in advance)

http://imgur.com/a/POhI8

And here's the full albums of mods and MechaSharks:

http://imgur.com/a/RtrrP

http://imgur.com/a/JYWLW

We're going to be having our sale on August 12 and it's going to be raffle-style. More details will be coming soon and posted here.

Offline ntw

Re: Aero Keys: HHKB Mods/MechaShark Sale on August 12
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 21:49:23 »
are those HHKB mods in Topre? I'm confused as you mentioned earlier the HHKB has Novatouch-stem

they look really solid though. :thumb:
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 22:08:11 »
are those HHKB mods in Topre? I'm confused as you mentioned earlier the HHKB has Novatouch-stem

They should be, looks like Topre profile in the pics.

I think that's just the shark that was Nova.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 23:31:23 »

They should be, looks like Topre profile in the pics.

I think that's just the shark that was Nova.

Correct and thank you!

The mod sets are Topre, the artisan caps are MX! I'll be working on also making Topre artisans in the future.

Offline GiveCandyy

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 07:07:08 »
In love with blossom mods. Need to buy a hhkb soon. :thumb:
I wish it wasn't soon

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 07:33:18 »
I would love to grab Blossom for my HHKB... excellent job on these! Unfortunately I think I will be driving all day on Friday.. going to try to buy from my phone (after pulling over somewhere).  :thumb:

Offline Mr Mulch

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 08:04:29 »
These are really cool and there's a few I would love to have. Looking forward to the raffle!

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 08:26:43 »
Oh Lord I need that Umbra shark!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:19:55 »
The black glittery and the turquoise blue ones are the best.  ;D

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 09:26:38 »
I'm digging the color choices! Any information as to what time the sale will open on the 12th?

Offline mikequity

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:35:52 »
these look awesome, hopeing to score one set of orbit and one set of Taro, maybe Cyan too!

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:51:04 »
Do you have mockups on how this would look like on a black HHKB? I'm interested with Umbra

Offline tinymakesthings

• staytuned
    • Check out my stuff here!
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 12:01:03 »
Loving the beautiful colors (and names!). Cyan  + Umbra are my favorite. Looking forward to that sale!

Do you guys have an instagram? If not, you guys should consider getting one :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 12:03:28 by tinymakesthings »

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 13:55:51 »
Wow, thanks for all the support and kind words guys! I'm excited to have this sale, but nervous at the same time.

I'm digging the color choices! Any information as to what time the sale will open on the 12th?

I have to discuss with Marshal, but our sale should be open from Friday to the end of Saturday. Might be going for a 36-hour or a 48-hour entry time.

Do you have mockups on how this would look like on a black HHKB? I'm interested with Umbra

We don't have a black HHKB to take photos on, unfortunately. I do want to get one in the future though...

Loving the beautiful colors (and names!). Cyan  + Umbra are my favorite. Looking forward to that sale!

Do you guys have an instagram? If not, you guys should consider getting one :)

Thanks mate, and I will be creating an Instagram to show case upcoming projects :)

Offline xninetynine

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 16:45:58 »
Omg. I need to get in on this. Is it FCFS or raffle style for these on August 12?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 18:02:13 »
Omg. I need to get in on this. Is it FCFS or raffle style for these on August 12?

So far as I'm aware it's rcfs.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 19:23:52 »
any idea on how much the mods are going to cost? will they support f660c layouts as well?

Marshal

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 22:25:23 »
any idea on how much the mods are going to cost? will they support f660c layouts as well?

It's really tough to price the mods because there are 13 keys in our mod sets and we want to charge the smallest amount possible for each key but when taking into consideration the amount of materials it takes and the amount of time it takes to cast>check for flaws>recast flawed keys>sand in bulk it's hard to really find a good price right in the middle. The entire set will most likely cost $80 plus shipping depending on where you are located in the world.

We decided not to charge a set price for shipping because we want to include everyone in the world who wants them and I feel that everyone should have a chance at them. The price may seem steep but I like to believe that ~$6 a blank is worth it. I want HHKB/Topre users to have more options available to them because when I first got mine I had realized their was few options to make it personal. The more colors we make and the more options we have will help that and may even convert some MX users ;)

I appreciate the question and will be more than happy to answer any others you have to help clear anything up before we release our full description of the sale. Also your questions are helping us decide on specific details like "First come first serve vs. Raffle" and "Pricing".

As for the 660 compatibility, unfortunately we aren't doing it this sale. Neither I nor Raenbo own one and I was unlucky in trying to find someone to sell me their set. I would love to be able to make them for our next sale and I'm currently looking for someone to sell theirs. My vision for the next sale is to have 660 and Realforce compatibility.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 August 2016, 22:29:34 by Marshal »

Offline xninetynine

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:04:53 »

It's really tough to price the mods because there are 13 keys in our mod sets and we want to charge the smallest amount possible for each key but when taking into consideration the amount of materials it takes and the amount of time it takes to cast>check for flaws>recast flawed keys>sand in bulk it's hard to really find a good price right in the middle. The entire set will most likely cost $80 plus shipping depending on where you are located in the world.

We decided not to charge a set price for shipping because we want to include everyone in the world who wants them and I feel that everyone should have a chance at them. The price may seem steep but I like to believe that ~$6 a blank is worth it. I want HHKB/Topre users to have more options available to them because when I first got mine I had realized their was few options to make it personal. The more colors we make and the more options we have will help that and may even convert some MX users ;)

I appreciate the question and will be more than happy to answer any others you have to help clear anything up before we release our full description of the sale. Also your questions are helping us decide on specific details like "First come first serve vs. Raffle" and "Pricing".

As for the 660 compatibility, unfortunately we aren't doing it this sale. Neither I nor Raenbo own one and I was unlucky in trying to find someone to sell me their set. I would love to be able to make them for our next sale and I'm currently looking for someone to sell theirs. My vision for the next sale is to have 660 and Realforce compatibility.

Honestly $80 for a full mod set is not a bad price point imo. Finding topre mods are hard to find already and it's such a niche product that I feel like the price + premium is well worth it. Especially with the craft you guys have and color ways.  I hope to get in this first round. Really want some mods for the HHKBT I'm gonna pick up. Not sure if it was clarified but is this gonna be a raffle style or first come first serve?

Marshal

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:08:54 »

Honestly $80 for a full mod set is not a bad price point imo. Finding topre mods are hard to find already and it's such a niche product that I feel like the price + premium is well worth it. Especially with the craft you guys have and color ways.  I hope to get in this first round. Really want some mods for the HHKBT I'm gonna pick up. Not sure if it was clarified but is this gonna be a raffle style or first come first serve?

Definitely raffle style. Also, we are considering doing made-to-order sets like KeyKollectiv did in their sale. Making a bunch of all colors doesn't seem like a good idea and if there are people who don't mind waiting a bit, we can make the color they joined the raffle for or they can pass on the privilege to someone else.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:51:05 »
these mods definitely look fantastic!
i also like how some of them are slightly transparent, gives it a nice look!

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 02:44:40 »
these mods definitely look fantastic!
i also like how some of them are slightly transparent, gives it a nice look!

dis, will def sign up for this.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 05:54:13 »
Those sharks look really neato, they remind me of something though

Fishbones is that you O:

Hope I get my self some high explosive shark goodness this coming sale
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 06:24:40 »
Solid caps, really hope to get some soon ^-^

Offline ntw

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 06:30:24 »
love the topre mods. they look really neat. will definitely hold out on this sale and wait for 660c compatibility. good luck you HHKB users!

I'll just into a set of in  following shades of blue such as Azure, Baby Blue, Royal Blue, Cerulean. ref https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2016, 06:32:35 by ntw »
Wishlist: Hungrkey, Creamsicle Skullthulhu, MDMAver Skullthulhu, Goo, Taka

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 13:11:50 »
Show Image

Fishbones is that you O:

Haha, you caught me! Fishbones is indeed the inspiration for the sculpt. My goal was to make it a multi-shot artisan, with different colors for different components of the shark-rocket-launcher. I'm still practicing with multi-shotting, and I'm no where near where I want to be. That's why I only have single-shots for this first sale. But I plan to do multi-shots for the next sale!

Here's some of my practice double-shots.

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2016, 13:15:11 by Raenbo »

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 14:07:35 »
Show Image

Fishbones is that you O:

Haha, you caught me! Fishbones is indeed the inspiration for the sculpt. My goal was to make it a multi-shot artisan, with different colors for different components of the shark-rocket-launcher. I'm still practicing with multi-shotting, and I'm no where near where I want to be. That's why I only have single-shots for this first sale. But I plan to do multi-shots for the next sale!

Show Image

Loving both of those color combos.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 14:20:59 »
Show Image

Fishbones is that you O:

Show Image

Those are great! The one on the left more so.  ;D

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 09:29:32 »
Show Image

Fishbones is that you O:

Show Image

Aha I thought so I hope you do one in the fishbones colours (Purple and steel) as that would be pretty neato
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Raenbo

Re: Aero Keys: HHKB Mods/MechaShark Sale on August 17
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 04:19:16 »
Due to unfortunate circumstance, we have to postpone the sale/ raffle to August 17!

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:51:49 »
I would give my left kidney for one of those double shot with Miami colors.

Offline xninetynine

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 21:04:09 »
Due to unfortunate circumstance, we have to postpone the sale/ raffle to August 17!

Hope everything is okay! A week isn't too bad and am looking forward to the sale. Cheers guys!

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 01:01:05 »

That's one of my planned colorways  :cool:

Hope everything is okay! A week isn't too bad and am looking forward to the sale. Cheers guys!

Nothing too serious, but life gets in the way sometimes heh  :-X. Reading a comment like this definitely helps keep the spirits up! Thank you and I can't wait to get our keys on keyboards :)

Anyways, our pressure pot spent the day making molds, so in the downtime I started a new sculpt! WIP

Offline xninetynine

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 11:55:58 »

Nothing too serious, but life gets in the way sometimes heh  :-X. Reading a comment like this definitely helps keep the spirits up! Thank you and I can't wait to get our keys on keyboards :)

Anyways, our pressure pot spent the day making molds, so in the downtime I started a new sculpt! WIP
Show Image

I'm glad to hear it's nothing too serious! That Elephant base sculpt is gorgeous inb4 everyone else so I can win a free one  ;D. Just kidding, hahaha. Keep up the good work and see you on the 17th!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 12:02:17 »

Show Image

That's great! I know the elephant idea was tossed around before, but I don't think anyone actually tackled it. Great sculpt!
I know BlueNalgene had some to give away for his GB, but I haven't seen anyone post pics of them.  :rolleyes:

Offline misconceit

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 06:35:56 »
I see some people prefer clay and some people prefer wax when making prototype artisan, what is the biggest difference?
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S   
HHKB Pro 2

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 06:56:53 »
Those Umbra mods. Damn, son! Will be watching this thread very closely just so I can get one set of those. :)
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline Raenbo

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 11:33:36 »
I see some people prefer clay and some people prefer wax when making prototype artisan, what is the biggest difference?

I've never sculpted with wax before, but from what I've seen, wax is harder than clay at room temperature. You need heat to get the wax to move, whereas clay (such as Super Sculpey which I use) can be sculpted and molded by hand. I'd say clay is easier to work with for beginners, but wax can definitely give you cleaner sculpts if you have enough experience. Clay moves around a lot, so it can get frustrating when working on little details.

A tip I have for clay is to work on it section by section, or piece by piece. Baking your sculpt when you are satisfied with a section so that it hardens, and then you can work on the next part without worrying about the previous one getting messed up.

On this elephant, I am only working on the eyes right now, and the rest of it has been hardened from baking. I can mess around as much as I want with the eyes without messing up things like the trunk, forehead, tusks, and ears.

Also, if anyone has any feedback on the eyes, I'd appreciate it! I've been experimenting with different styles for the eyes, but I can't figure out how to make it look good. Eyes are hard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 August 2016, 11:35:32 by Raenbo »

Offline nocturalowl

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 14:40:53 »
That elephant   :-*  really nice
Do you plan to add a crown on it?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 14:42:20 »
Or maybe even a design of a crown on its forehead.

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 14:58:27 »
Wow that looks amazing Reanbo!

I love the eyes you made. I think the end of the trunck is a bit cartoonish but the rest is fantastic.

Like the others said maybe a crown to give it some Indian flavor would be cool. Or some Buddhists symbols.

Great work man. Can not wait to see this!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline nocturalowl

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 15:03:16 »
Or maybe even a design of a crown on its forehead.
A crown will definitely look nice. Giving it an oriental touch  :D

Offline KlarKuo

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 16:25:43 »
I wasn't sold on the elephant from the first picture, but the second picture after the eyes and everything is amazing