Author Topic: Ergo ppl lets come to consensus on GH ergo terms  (Read 10175 times)

Offline Lanx

Ergo ppl lets come to consensus on GH ergo terms
« on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 12:46:35 »
I think it's so cool iMav made a specific ergo sub section and i've notice as many of you that some terms are loosely defined and can cause confusion. Let's just come to a consensus and offer up GH terms, so one person knows what we're talking about (instead of referring to just a specific manufacturers product).
I know we have a wiki, but it glosses over most ergo centric things (and just basically says "ooh datahand magnets").
please note i'll be using my current mod to illustrate some terms, this isn't to "flaunt" it or anything, it's just what i have at hand and if i had another me ergo board non modded i'd photograph that instead. I don't want to be a wiki or anything, i just always felt that when some aspects of talking about ergo were brought up it couldn't be rightly explained or conveyed.

lets start with what we know.

tenkeyless:

many suspect it's called tenkeyless because back then the numpad was called the 10-key or mavis beacon referred to it as that (the ten keys i have up) either way that's that.

typewriter stagger/ row stagger:

idk which is a best term maybe they both fit the bill. This is just the regular layout we're all used to (even when split companies will just draw a line between 6,t,g,b). We can call this typewriter stagger for the legacy aspect, but row stagger sounds good too.

column stagger:

here we have the columns shift up and down a bit.

kinesis concave, kinesis matrix concave(also kinesis keywells):

there really is no avoiding using the manufacturer to describe a layout, it's older than most teens and is one of it's kind. This is referring to the concave placement of the keys. For depth and stuff.

matrix:

up to this day i have no real idea what to call this, raj does say typematrix has the same layout too

again consensus will figure it out.

center stagger/diagonal stagger/symmetric stagger:

it seems to stagger towards the center, diagonally, so need more consensus.

postive slope:

slopes down, uses the ubiquitous back feet present on pretty much every keyboard.

negative slope:

slopes the other way, common "hack" is to put a binder+sticky stuff underneath to replicate it

central hump, slightly tented:

the ms ergo 4k is the only one i know of that has this slope.

I'm sure i missed a lot, currently i'm just dealing with terms centered around my mod, since well that's my current project i'm sure missing so much more. Please contribute this sub forum is awesome and i think we really need consensus on most of these terms (and many others i missed).

Offline hoggy

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 January 2011, 13:46:57 »
Quote from: Lanx;273030
5x4, numpad stagger:
Show Image

up to this day i have no real idea what to call this, raj does say typematrix has the same layout too
Show Image

again consensus will figure it out.

Some manufacturers call this XY layout - well at least Cherry and Access-IS do.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline taswyn

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 January 2011, 12:30:27 »
Some manufacturers call this XY layout

Nearly all of the POS keyboards/pads I've seen refer to it as a "matrix layout."

Offline cbf123

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 11:55:48 »
Most if not all of the "Microsoft Natural" keyboards have the "inward slope".  It could also be called a central hump.

There's also the distinction between having the two halves separated by a large distance, or closer together and angled.
Daily drivers are:
Microsoft Natural (the original, and still going strong)
Microsoft Natural Elite

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 12:16:17 »
oh didn't know that the naturals had the slope, thought they were flat.

Offline Stone

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 January 2011, 05:50:24 »
"Kinesis concave" makes me very sad. It should really be "Maltron concave", as Kinesis basically just ripped off their (preceding!) design and removed the 10-key pad.

FYI, Maltron have been in continuous existance since 1977, vs Kinesis releasing their first keyboard in 1992. Just 'cos they have some patents doesn't mean it's their product...

Stone

Offline hemflit

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 14:38:22 »
Quote from: Lanx;273030
inward slope, central hump:

Um, "slightly tented"?

Offline J-HAX

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 22:09:07 »
Hi, In my opinion the matrix is correctly called an 'ortho-linear' arrangement (they call it this here).
There's my opinion!
Cheers, Jack Allison

Offline Lanx

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 08:05:13 »
Hey moderators, I really like only a few sections of GH, and one of them is the ergo section, I really believe that if ergo ppl continue to talk about ergo things we should all have common terminology i know this thread is lacking, and i would be willing to rewrite it or do another, but i believe we need a starting basis, can we sticky this and someone with better skills make a more in-depth?

if your a mod and you know ergo stuff (hint sordna) then you know us ergo ppl have really specific terms, and we need a guide, so i vote for our first ergo forum sticky to be a GH centric terms sticky (not necessarily this one, but it's a start until someone who can showcase terms better).

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 08:14:05 »
The center diagonal stagger is symmetric stagger... fold the KB in half (across middle) and the staggering matches up.

When sordna is on next he'll certainly be reading this.  :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 08:40:13 »
symmetric stagger sounds nice added that in.
also did some 2012 updating (reflecting on what this current GH ergo forum uses)

Offline sordna

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 17:47:02 »
Hmm, I think this type of thing should perhaps go into a wiki article... let's use this thread for ideas and when we have enough, we can do a wiki.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 April 2012, 19:49:51 »
well idk, my reasoning to ask for a sticky is that if a user is browsing the ergo forum, and they have ergo questions, a sticky would be better suited for such a niche up a niche subject such as mechanical ergo keyboards. Plus gh wiki sucks.