Author Topic: Seen on eBay - Alps keyboard with built-in trackpad  (Read 6304 times)

Offline doctorpiorno

Seen on eBay - Alps keyboard with built-in trackpad
« on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 00:55:01 »
I was looking into some external trackpad auctions on eBay when I came across something pretty interesting: someone appears to be selling an Alps keyboard with a built-in trackpad. From the looks of it, it also seems to feature an IBM M15-like «Erase-Eaze» split spacebar. I'm not at all familiar with this model, but it might be an interesting purchase if it does indeed have Alps keyswitches.

I guess I'll be skipping this one (the shipping fees to Japan would kill me, plus those new RealForces don't buy themselves) but I thought I'd post a link here in case someone wants to give the auction a try and report back with a review. For what it's worth, I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way.

Cheerses!

Fran

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 01:34:54 »
Quote from: doctorpiorno;6256

I guess I'll be skipping this one (the shipping fees to Japan would kill me, plus those new RealForces don't buy themselves)

Do you have any news about the new RealForce? Compared to the new spacesaver filco - I'd take the RealForce, but I don't really believe this will be available any time soon :(

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 01:38:32 »
Ditto, I prefer Topre switches to anything I've tried by Cherry.

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 04:13:58 »
Quote from: doctorpiorno;6256
I was looking into some external trackpad auctions on eBay when I came across something pretty interesting: someone appears to be selling an Alps keyboard with a built-in trackpad. From the looks of it, it also seems to feature an IBM M15-like «Erase-Eaze» split spacebar. I'm not at all familiar with this model, but it might be an interesting purchase if it does indeed have Alps keyswitches.
It may indeed use the Alps keyswitches, as stated in what I believe is the press release of that keyboard (can't be 100% sure as there's no photo though):
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_July_1/ai_18491572

But it's also probably an ADB keyboard, so you may need to use an ADB->USB converter like the Griffin iMate and could have problems recognizing the special "erase-eaze" key or the three mouse buttons (they will all likely be recognized as standard left mouse buttons).

Here's an old discussion about the driver problem with this keyboard:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc/browse_thread/thread/9579a73489c000a9/723a36badf00dd58?hl=en&lnk=st

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline doctorpiorno

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 04:18:20 »
Quote from: sashomasho;6257
Do you have any news about the new RealForce? Compared to the new spacesaver filco - I'd take the RealForce, but I don't really believe this will be available any time soon :(

If by "new Realforce" you mean the RealForce 86 that surfaced in that Korean shop a while ago, it doesn't seem like that one is coming to Japan anytime soon. Everyone here seems pretty happy with the RealForce 89, which is quite understandable considering they actually have an use for all them funny Japanese-specific keys. ;)

I'm seriously thinking about getting the RealForce 89, though, kana keys and all. I've been fondling one at the shop and the key action is really nice and smooth - pretty much the same as the HHKB Pro, albeit maybe a bit lighter. And now they're selling a replacement metal case for it which looks absolutely gorgeous. The only problem is that we're looking at something like 300$ for the whole enchilada, and even I am having trouble justifying that sort of price to myself. :(

I had a look at the Filcos, too, but it doesn't seem like Cherrys do much for me. I'd much rather have a chunky old buckling spring monster, or one of them soft and smooth Topres. I have only tried Cherry blacks and browns, though, not the blues, so I'll reserve judgment for now.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 05:05:55 »
doctorpiorno: It's not the only one with a built-in trackpad, also look at the Northgate OmniKey Evolution.

(And that one's ergo, if that's your cup of tea.)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 08:21:08 »
Quote from: xsphat;6258
Ditto, I prefer Topre switches to anything I've tried by Cherry.

Seriously?  I think the HHKB Pro's feel fine...but no way do they beat the feel of a blue Cherry switch for me.

Didn't you once say that the brown cherries felt incredibly similar to your HHKB Pro?

Quote from: xsphat;2995
The brown switches are really light, not too loud or anything, and they do remind me of the HHKB's capacitive switches.

Quote from: xsphat;3136
Surprisingly, the capacitive switches and the brown stemmed Cherry's are so close there was no real feeling of disorientation (with the exception of the sudden impact of the Sun type 5 layout). The HHKB slides feel a little bit rougher than the browns, but that's about it. I'm really impressed with these Cherry browns.

Quote from: xsphat;3161
I agree, it's just hard to really describe key feel. I like the browns better than the capacitive switches, but they are in the same league.

I know that you had a change in heart and now prefer clickier keyswitches...which makes your statement about the Topre's all that more confusing to me.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 08:46:54 »
LOL, damn. Someone got busted : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 12:51:04 »
Well fine, I'll stop posting and just lurk here then.

Offline iMav

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 12:57:57 »
Quote from: bigpook;6266
LOL, damn. Someone got busted : )
Not trying at all to "call him out".  I'm simply someone who is awaiting a brown-cherry-equipped keyboard and trying to get a handle on what to expect.

Just looking for some clarification.  

xsphat, you mentioned in the past that the feel of the HHKB Pro and the cherry browns are very similar (and at one point saying the brown's were better)...I'm not trying at all to embarass you...I know that you like to switch things up a lot.

I'm just looking for some clarification for my own education as to the differences in feel.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 13:01:54 »
Quote from: iMav;6277
I'm just looking for some clarification for my own education as to the differences in feel.

Ladies and Germs, I give you "Mr. Instant Satisfaction".  He can't WAIT for a board he's ordered to see what it's like and how it feels, to see what it's like and how it feels.

(for the record, THAT was calling someone out)

:-D
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 13:03:25 »
Quote from: xsphat;6275
Well fine, I'll stop posting and just lurk here then.
Not trying to be malicious at all.  I know you get emotionally attached to keyboards and that your preferences change quite a bit.  

I've limited these quotes to your comparative views of the browns and topre capacitive switches.  Stuff like this can be confusing as heck for new members trying to get a "feel" for what they would like.  As someone who has not touched the Cherry browns, I'm simply looking for some further insight to help frame and clarify your earlier comments.

If you were offended, I am sorry and I publicly apologize.

Offline iMav

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 13:07:03 »
Quote from: ashort;6278
Ladies and Germs, I give you "Mr. Instant Satisfaction".  He can't WAIT for a board he's ordered to see what it's like and how it feels, to see what it's like and how it feels.

Actually, I prefer "Mr. Instant Gratification".  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 13:11:34 »
The HHKB Pro 2 has more feeling than the Cherry Browns. Plus, the Cherry switches actuate higher up in the stroke as well. The browns are nice and really clean feeling. I sold the Filco because I couldn't get the accuracy I'm accustomed to and I needed the money at the time. It was between the Filco and HHKB Pro, which would you have sold?

The Topre switching mechanism is closer to tactile than the Cherry brown switch, which offers no resistance.

Offline iMav

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 13:16:44 »
Quote from: xsphat;6281
The Topre switching mechanism is closer to tactile than the Cherry brown switch, which offers no resistance.

Ok.  So classifying the browns as "tactile, but not clicky" is incorrect?  If they provide no resistance, they are linear, not tactile.  (you did mention that you started to warm up to the Cherry blacks after spending some time with the browns...so I guess that makes sense).

It also means that I am most-definitely going to be swapping the browns out for blues.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 13:58:47 »
I rather expect you to swap them.

And I think I finally figured out the blacks - they feel good only if you pound on them and type fast.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 15:46:08 »
cherry browns have less tactility than cherry blues, but they are indeed tactile. cherry mx blacks are completely linear from start to finish, cherry ml blacks are tactile and I would say around the same as the cherry browns, but i think maybe a longer intermediary step for browns?
All in all blues are my current favourite. But browns are useful in quiet situations and blacks are suited for gaming and just feel stronger in general.
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline bigpook

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 03 July 2008, 17:47:49 »
Quote from: iMav;6277
Not trying at all to "call him out".  I'm simply someone who is awaiting a brown-cherry-equipped keyboard and trying to get a handle on what to expect.

Just looking for some clarification.  

xsphat, you mentioned in the past that the feel of the HHKB Pro and the cherry browns are very similar (and at one point saying the brown's were better)...I'm not trying at all to embarass you...I know that you like to switch things up a lot.

Sorry , it was not meant in that way at all. But I found your post to be genuinely funny, but not in a negative way.
You guys are too much sometimes : )

bigpook
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline iMav

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 17:40:40 »
Quote from: Eclairz;6295
cherry browns have less tactility than cherry blues, but they are indeed tactile.

Agreed.  The browns (which I am currently typing on) are most-certainly tactile.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 07 July 2008, 21:37:20 »
Hmm. Time to start scouring eBay for something that might have browns?