Author Topic: Wireless Headphones  (Read 13107 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Wireless Headphones
« on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:28:27 »
My friend is looking to buy wireless headphones.
I'm not an expert in this region, I was suggesting Sony WH-1000XM3, as some of my colleagues use those and say they are amazing.

What would you guys suggest?
Are Sony WH-1000XM3 good, as £250 good?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline econeuler

Re: Wireless Headphones
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:42:55 »
I bought exactly those in September last year. I had to commute around 5h x2 by train each week by train.
These headphones saved me. I've used them at work since and it has been great! The price is high, but I'd
say it's worth it, if it is not a too large expense for you.

My only complaint is that if you use them for 8h+ you have to adjust the angle of them otherwise they add
uncomfortable pressure to the top of the head. But I've basically used them for around 6h/day 5 days a week
for 6 moths.

Before I had those I had bluetooth in-ear plugs, and those were around €150, but they are absolute terrible compared
to be Sony's.

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:53:07 »
The sonys are really good for bass and if your fine with the guesture controls if you want physical buttons then the Bose 35 I haven't tried the 30's but the headphones I like for active work is the LG hbs 930 great for working out and everyday use I get two full days of use

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline econeuler

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:56:49 »
+1 for this, I chose the Sony's because of the strong noise cancelling, but if that is of no concern to you and you want a "true sound experience" maybe another pair of headphones is the correct choice.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 16:18:20 »
what bout wireless earbuds

:cool: AirPods :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 16:19:57 »
bluedio hurricanes work fine for me

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 20:14:09 »
Airpods have to be charged every 4 hrs and don't seal out outside noise well but are magical when pairing to an iPhone and that's all some people car about

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 20:24:18 »
Airpods have to be charged every 4 hrs and don't seal out outside noise well but are magical when pairing to an iPhone and that's all some people car about

I'm not sure where you're getting 4 hours from. I can use my airpod pros all day at work for 2 days straight before I need to charge them. My original Airpods could get me through a day without issue as well.

I agree that they don't seal outside noise perfectly, but its far from bad. It's the exact same issue that any rubber tipped headphone is going to have. The seal can also be changed rather easily by changing the tip size as well.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 05:48:20 »
+1 for this, I chose the Sony's because of the strong noise cancelling, but if that is of no concern to you and you want a "true sound experience" maybe another pair of headphones is the correct choice.

Thanks. I looked into Bose 700, but if the sound is the same on this and Sony, I prefer Sony - design is better.
Personally I have Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res and I love them, so my first suggestion was Sony.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 May 2020, 08:37:04 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 06:55:07 »
I opted for the Sony’s. Only thing that still irritates me is they are hopeless when it comes to switching sources. If you don’t mind reading a review, I did one here: https://benfrain.com/sony-wh-1000xm3-noise-cancelling-headphones-review/

Note. Not a review from an audiophile pov. Just an average user.

Offline jamster

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 12:34:54 »
I'm using the cheap and cheerful Motorola Vervebud 300s.

I'm a headphone geek, usually use Sennheiser HD800S/650 or massive planars, not at all portable.

I tried the Bose 700 and thought they were total garbage- shockingly bad, muffled sound that sucked out the vocals and and overpowered them with muddy bass. They sounded worse than the QC 35s which I've also heard, not great but not terrible. So in my opinion, the sole reason to by Bose NC stuff is purely for active noise cancellation.

The Motorola earbuds for $50 sound a lot better in terms of balanced tonality. They don't block out any noise though.

Offline pciuniek

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 13:52:18 »
I have a Bose QC35 II which I've had for almost two years now and use daily. I didn't upgrade to the latest firmware because of known issues around battery life (you can read more about it here: https://community.bose.com/t5/Around-On-Ear-Headphones/Bose-QC-35-Firmware-4-5-2-Noise-Cancellation-Investigation/td-p/285738#anoverview).

I use it on 3 devices (2 MacBooks and 1 iPhone) and have bluetooth issues when both my MacBooks are around (1 active, 1 asleep). For the price I wouldn't recommend the Bose QC35 II to friends anymore and encourage them to look at the Sony WH-1000XM2.

Offline walie

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 09:02:01 »
If the headphone doesn't support multi-point, I'm not even looking at it.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:03:46 »
Oopsy, my bad, posted without reading....
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:05:58 by PadawanGeek »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 11:08:33 »

Oh my gosh the earwax on those things gets real bad. #### Earbuds, full headphones gang

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 13:51:51 »

Oh my gosh the earwax on those things gets real bad. #### Earbuds, full headphones gang
Not mine and if so just take the caps off and clean them I've used mine almost every day for the past two years I've used this style for 5 years after trying all the other recommend work out headphones that sucked because they never stay in my ear or uncomfortable or sound horrible.
I do wish these had better noise canceling for phone calls the mic is far to sensitive. my wife can hear things annoying that I can barley hear when I take them off.

Offline walie

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 15:32:27 »

Thats probably more a reflection of your personal hygiene than the earbuds.

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 04:06:52 »

Thats probably more a reflection of your personal hygiene than the earbuds.

We have a dirty boy there  :D

Offline gjkrisa

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 14:57:04 »
Well when you work construction that's how you look after one HR you can't stay perfect for 8 hrs if you can what would be the point of takeing a shower at the end of the day
And maybe I am if that's as dirty as they get after two years of never cleaning them then eh
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2020, 15:01:12 by gjkrisa »

Offline fliz

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 20:47:16 »
wireless headphones are even more of an affront than wireless keyboards.

Why is wireless important?  Head-fi.org is a fantastic forum for all things headphone.

When I joined, their tagline was "Welcome to Head-fi. Sorry about your wallet." :D

Offline fliz

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 20:49:10 »
Personally, for commuting, I'd go with something extremely noise isolating like etymotic er4s

For home listening, I'd go with Grado or Audeze, depending on what kind of presentation you prefer (Grado for in your face, Audeze for more laid back.)

If cost is no object, Stax.

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 11:54:23 »

Offline bliss

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 15:11:39 »
Can't help you with wireless *cringe*

I use pro in-ears meant for stage monitoring (-> passive noise attenuation) for everything: commuting, mastering, high end listening.

Not willing to wear these head torture devices aka over ear headphones, personally.

They were less than $100: AKG IP2 (discontinued). Thanks Harman for ****ing AKG up, too, by the way. Look what they did to Proceed and Levinson.

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 17:09:30 »

I use pro in-ears meant for stage monitoring (-> passive noise attenuation) for everything: commuting, mastering, high end listening.

Not willing to wear these head torture devices aka over ear headphones, personally.

They were less than $100: AKG IP2 (discontinued). Thanks Harman for ****ing AKG up, too, by the way. Look what they did to Proceed and Levinson.

what did Harman do?

Offline fliz

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 18:23:12 »

which ones? I recommended the etymotic er4s as a great passive isolation earphone. They attenuate enough to safely be worn at an indoor gun range. :)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 10:41:21 »
I tend to stay away from wireless as much as I can, only set I have is a pair from MPOW - don't know they model, my mom gave them to me when she couldn't figure out how to use them (she tried to use them like headphones my wrapping the band across the top of her head - looked funny as hell).  But normally I have my KZ-ZST's paired w/ my Topping NX4 amp when ever I use them.  The dwindling of the in-phone TRRS jack is saddening, which is why I still have my 1st gen Pixel and my backup phone Galaxy J7 V (turd of a phone but that's why it's a back-up).  Only truely wireless earbuds is from Sennheiser.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Sepharis

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 10:45:27 »
I'm not really an audio guy, but my Dad purchased me a set of Bose on ear headphones about 2 1/2 years ago that go for about £100 and they have served me incredibly well; comfort, size, appearance  and quality. The one thing I would say is replacing the ear cushions is excruciatingly hard.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 12:48:18 »
I just bought these: https://drop.com/buy/drop-wireless-headphones/story

I don't have them yet so I can't even comment on if they're good but when I did my research they seemed to be regarded as very good for the price range (at least the review units people were sent).

Not sure how other audiophiles feel about these - they'll be my first wireless headphones.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 04:05:21 »
Not sure how other audiophiles feel about these - they'll be my first wireless headphones.

Based on Oppo planar drivers, that's a very good start.  Just have to hope your neck is strong enough to enjoy them!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline jamster

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 04:53:34 »

I was very tempted to order based on (probably the same) reviews which say that they sound good, not just 'good for wireless'.

Held back mainly because of an aversion to long very lead times and no real need for wireless headphones.

Will be interested to find out what general reception is like once these come to market.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 05:10:52 »
I enjoy my WH1000MX3, excelent NC, pair very fast and never drop out. Battery life is also great. The swipe gestures are alright and seem to work at least most of the time. The only thing that i really have against them is that they are a bit too bass focused and lack sharp highs, but even then im happy with what i paid for them and would recommend them

Offline jamster

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 06:44:35 »
I enjoy my WH1000MX3, excelent NC, pair very fast and never drop out. Battery life is also great. The swipe gestures are alright and seem to work at least most of the time. The only thing that i really have against them is that they are a bit too bass focused and lack sharp highs, but even then im happy with what i paid for them and would recommend them

No issues with having to use touch controls in a Swedish winter?

The move towards touch controls as a cost cutting measure on all consumer electronics is a frustrating trend.

Offline phinix

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 08:19:46 »

Thanks, good to hear from actual user about those cans:)

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 08:25:08 »

No issues with having to use touch controls in a Swedish winter?

The move towards touch controls as a cost cutting measure on all consumer electronics is a frustrating trend.

I experienced no issues with them this winter.

Thanks, good to hear from actual user about those cans:)

If you have any more specific questions, ask on :D

Offline bliss

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 13:17:15 »

what did Harman do?

I am personally disappointed with them. Of course the closing of AKG in Austria, but also the cost reduction they implemented in the high end range of products:
In the heydays in the mid 90s they had a high end brand for stereo music electronics (Mark Levinson) and another for multi channel, for home theater, respectively (Proceed). The build quality and sheer engineering of ML was over the top, while Proceed was the best you could get for home theater, we are talking Laserdisc and early DVD era. The Proceed products borrowed from ML technology but were built to be more cost effective, while despite this had four- and five-digit price tags.
What they then did is cancel the Proceed line of products altogether, and build the ML products the Proceed way, i.e. "cost effective". I am disappointed because I own ML equipment that was built the old way, large, heavy, beautiful. Price tags meanwhile are even more astronomic than before, for what you get today. I think they have great engineers but the costs just exploded.

which ones? I recommended the etymotic er4s as a great passive isolation earphone. They attenuate enough to safely be worn at an indoor gun range. :)

As stated, the AKG IP2  ^-^ - more prosumer than the quite extreme etymotic er4s

Offline phinix

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 16:47:22 »
Would you buy headphones on Amazon, but from some shop?
Those 1000XM3 on Amazon - from Amazon are for £259, but on Amazon from some shop its £229.

Offline rockksteady

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 14:32:51 »
My friend is looking to buy wireless headphones.
I'm not an expert in this region, I was suggesting Sony WH-1000XM3, as some of my colleagues use those and say they are amazing.

What would you guys suggest?
Are Sony WH-1000XM3 good, as £250 good?

I have the Sony WH-1000XM3. It's a great headset, but the construction quality is not very good. I would go with something else, if I could. The plastic broke during completely normal usage. No drops or anything. Now I have taped them, in order to have the expanding head-band work. Very unsatisfied with the way Sony handled this issue, as many people are reporting the same.

But they do sound great!

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:23:45 »
I've had the bose quietcomfort 35s for about a year and love them. the noise cancel mode is insane, literally hear the noise cancel happen

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 20:03:22 »
I swear i had a good pair of headphones from 2006 that were like 2000 bucks but then as soon as we picked them out of the dust the speaker sound only comes out of one ear now.. i swear it sounded great

Offline tomori

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 12:33:03 »
I am personally using Mpow X3. It is a wireless bluetooth earmuffs. Its noise cancellation feature and the battery timings are the key points for me to buy it. Moreover, the grip in the ears are comfortable and tight, It wont fall when you are sprinting.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2020, 02:27:05 by suicidal_orange »