Author Topic: [IC] EPBT TA Origins  (Read 74747 times)

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
[IC] EPBT TA Origins
« on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:28:17 »

With a strong love for vintage keyboards and keycaps with sub legends I completely fell in love with the Triumph Adler series. It is difficult to find those keycaps in a good state and the original Triumph Adler typewriter has a really weird layout with blank shift keys, a L-shaped enter and a weird bottom row. That’s when Ryan (u/quaddepo) and Lucas (me) thought of coming together and bringing TA Origins to life.

TA Origins is a clean and calm set inspired by vintage Triumph Adler Gabriele typewriter series. It features a muted grey base with 2 tint of blue legends, a darker shade for the primary legends and a lighter more colorful blue for the sub-legends. A total of 4 kits featuring a big base kit compatible for most mainstream keyboards, a blue alternative mod kit, a dual-tone 40’s kit for our smaller keyboards and a numpad kit.

During the design phase we tried to get as much to know about the origin of the keyboard and keycaps as possible, during our search we discovered there we lots of different variations of legends out there from Latin to Russian. As we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves by covering everything we stuck with the most known Latin layout of the series.

For the colors we will try to stay close to the original Triumph Adler series, however there is quite a bit of variation from set to set. As a result we have a little creative freedom to get the best out of this colour scheme.

TA Origins will be like the Original Triumph Adler series with Cherry keycap profile with dyesubbing by EnjoyPBT.

Let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions for the set, either by replying below or PMing Ryan or me (details in my signature). As this is still an early IC, pretty much all aspects of the set are still subject to change.

If you'd like you can join our Discord server to chat about this set. This is optional; all updates will still be posted her of course ;D

If you'd like to help support this set, you can add the following banner to your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104718.0][img]http://quaddepos.nl/ghbanner.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:35:46 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 May 2021, 13:01:12 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline _ODIN_

Re: [IC] EPBT TA Origins
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:30:41 »
Awesome very interested!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:30:54 »
OMG it's happening!!!

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:31:39 »
Whoop whoop! HYPE

Offline Crack85

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:40:35 »
Super clean set!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:42:01 »
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:46:13 »
The mods would need to be reverse dyesubbed right?
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline PeenixStarr

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:47:49 »
As we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves by covering everything we stuck with the most known Latin layout of the series.

Nice try, the most common version of this is Qwertz!

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 16:57:24 »
The mods would need to be reverse dyesubbed right?

Yep, you're right

As we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves by covering everything we stuck with the most known Latin layout of the series.

Nice try, the most common version of this is Qwertz!

I probably worded that awkwardly. What I meant was we chose Latin legends over Cyrillic, etc. which also exist but are way less common. The legends we used are the ones found on the English layout of the typewriter since the vast majority of this community speak English.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:13:10 »
Just realised I completely forgot to include the preliminary kit layouts in the post  :-[ . I've updated it now

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:19:51 »
interested!

Offline lolpes

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:27:33 »
I am really liking the mod colour!

Is it based on any particular machine, or more the TA mod colours?

EDIT:

Was referring to this blue colour on a typewriter set:

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:33:35 by lolpes »

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:27:37 »
Looks amazing! Not a fan of the colored mods, but definitely in for the Base kit!

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:43:51 »
I like this colorway a lot! Very handsome, I'll keep my eyes out for this 👀

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:55:31 »

OK, in

Offline eas

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 17:55:50 »
This looks even better than my Beta 220 set

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:00:51 »
Yes.

Offline goddream

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 18:03:47 »
DAILY CLACK FOR OCE VENDOR PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Man In Blue

• formery Sollace
  • Man In Blue#9548
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:39:47 »
Im in love.
The Koreans did it all right ;)

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 19:58:42 »
YES

Canadian vendor too please

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 21:03:52 »
Those blue on the modifiers should be done by dye-sublimation. Am I right? Actually I'm disappointed with kuro-shiro's dye-sublimation all over the keys with black color. So I'm worried about this too. I think double-shot injection is still good for successful results.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:06:22 »
This looks very nice, as an owner of the GMK TA90 set, I’m keeping an eye on this one. How close to the TA90 colour will the alphas be, any idea? If you’re interested in matching them, I can send you some alphas to refer to.

Please please PLEASE consider a colevrak+ kit, you’re dye-subbing, so it can’t be as expensive as double shots (can it?) and you’re already making so many unusual keys anyway.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:07:45 »
Y.E.S.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 23:22:09 »
unless something has changed during the time of the epbt 2048 and this i dont think epbt has a 1.25u r3 mold for the 40s kit but im in for base and 40s regardless as long as it has the ortho keys heh

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 04:09:47 »

EDIT:

Show Image

It was actually inspired by seeing people pair OG alphas with blue mods kits such as GMK Electric Bluegaloo. I'm not completely sure what shade we'll end up going with for the set. It might well be something similar to the blue backspace in that photo  ;D

Vendors are still TBC, but we'll try to make sure we have proxies for every region

Those blue on the modifiers should be done by dye-sublimation. Am I right? Actually I'm disappointed with kuro-shiro's dye-sublimation all over the keys with black color. So I'm worried about this too. I think double-shot injection is still good for successful results.

I don't own a set of Kuro Shiro, but we'll make sure to get samples before the group buy so we have an accurate idea of quality. Doubleshot would give better results, but then we'd have to use different manufacturers for alphas and mods which makes things a lot more complicated. Also, ePBT's Cherry profile doesn't quite match GMK or JTK.

This looks very nice, as an owner of the GMK TA90 set, I’m keeping an eye on this one. How close to the TA90 colour will the alphas be, any idea? If you’re interested in matching them, I can send you some alphas to refer to.

Please please PLEASE consider a colevrak+ kit, you’re dye-subbing, so it can’t be as expensive as double shots (can it?) and you’re already making so many unusual keys anyway.

It probably won't be matched to TA90. The colours are similar, but there is a ton of variation from set to set with the OG typewriter caps, so we have a bit of freedom to choose shades we like  ;D

Depending on the level of interest in this set we might add more kits. No promises though

unless something has changed during the time of the epbt 2048 and this i dont think epbt has a 1.25u r3 mold for the 40s kit but im in for base and 40s regardless as long as it has the ortho keys heh

Yeah, I know there might be some keys that need to be cut. We'll need to discuss with the manufacturer first to see what can or can't be done

Offline hkiri

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 04:46:36 »
I need this in my life... now!

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 05:05:58 »

I don't own a set of Kuro Shiro, but we'll make sure to get samples before the group buy so we have an accurate idea of quality. Doubleshot would give better results, but then we'd have to use different manufacturers for alphas and mods which makes things a lot more complicated. Also, ePBT's Cherry profile doesn't quite match GMK or JTK.

there are problems with Kuro Shiro's reversed dye-sub keys so you might want to stay away from ePBT's reverse dye-sub.

you might want to look into Infinikeys, the manufacturer that do Katakana Cherry PBT Sets,Sanctuary Rebirth , PBT Hive, their reverse dye-sub job is excellent. (though... you might need to contact them through theKeyCompany)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:07:54 »

EDIT:

Show Image

It was actually inspired by seeing people pair OG alphas with blue mods kits such as GMK Electric Bluegaloo. I'm not completely sure what shade we'll end up going with for the set. It might well be something similar to the blue backspace in that photo  ;D

Vendors are still TBC, but we'll try to make sure we have proxies for every region

It probably won't be matched to TA90. The colours are similar, but there is a ton of variation from set to set with the OG typewriter caps, so we have a bit of freedom to choose shades we like  ;D

Depending on the level of interest in this set we might add more kits. No promises though

Yeah, I know there might be some keys that need to be cut. We'll need to discuss with the manufacturer first to see what can or can't be done

Ok that explains the lighter blue for the mods. I was gonna say isn't OG TA sets a darker shade of blue, but I guess those are just the only ones I've seen, LOL! Anyways awesome looking kit I'll be keeping my eye on. Great work!

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:08:50 »
I had touch typing classes on these kinds of typewriters! I still have one at home that looks just like the first kit! That's so cool, might get this one :D

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:15:25 »

there are problems with Kuro Shiro's reversed dye-sub keys so you might want to stay away from ePBT's reverse dye-sub.

you might want to look into Infinikeys, the manufacturer that do Katakana Cherry PBT Sets,Sanctuary Rebirth , PBT Hive, their reverse dye-sub job is excellent. (though... you might need to contact them through theKeyCompany)

Infinikey have a truckload of issues, I won't buy an infinikey set so I hope he doesn't change to them. I'd have more faith in infinikey if TKC didn't just shrug the issues off with justifications like "everyone isn't picky", or "maybe it will be fixed. keep buying our sets and we will TRY to improve on the issues".

Nah fam

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 07:33:10 »

Thanks. Let's see how this unfolds.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:03:54 »

Can you please link or show some pictured of the problems from this set?
i'm curious and don't doubt as reverse dye sub is always tricky, but the few pictures i have seen seem to be ok.

Offline Sunhwan Jeong

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:38:32 »

Can you please link or show some pictured of the problems from this set?
i'm curious and don't doubt as reverse dye sub is always tricky, but the few pictures i have seen seem to be ok.

The color is uneven. In other words, it is mottled. But it's hard to express it with photos.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:58:22 by Sunhwan Jeong »

Offline sangww

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 08:41:54 »
love what's in the 40s kit!!! Def getting one

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:24:02 »
have you thought about splitting the alphas and mods in the base set onto separate kits?

Offline scoopbb

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:52:56 »
have you thought about splitting the alphas and mods in the base set onto separate kits?
Yes, please. Or even two separate full base kits, preferably with a few duplicate keys in both colors (F1-F4, F9-F12, ~`, |\). Let's not waste plastic unnecessarily.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:53:56 »

epbt also seems to be doing ABS doubleshots now too, just food for thought

Please not ABS.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 12:55:07 »

epbt also seems to be doing ABS doubleshots now too, just food for thought

Please not ABS.

i prefer pbt also just throwing it out there lol

Offline Tennstrong

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 14:48:17 »
I really like the caps from these boards so color me interested. Are the blue mods going to be similar or matched to TA beta 8050? They seem a bit pale/blue

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:02:05 »
Yes, please. Or even two separate full base kits, preferably with a few duplicate keys in both colors (F1-F4, F9-F12, ~`, |\). Let's not waste plastic unnecessarily.

We could do this. There does seem to be a lot of interest in the blue mods, so it makes sense that it's more than just an addon.

I really like the caps from these boards so color me interested. Are the blue mods going to be similar or matched to TA beta 8050? They seem a bit pale/blue

They probably won't be exactly matched, but we are planning to use a similar palish light blue for the mods.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:03:20 »
About the blue modkit; we will probably stick with reverse dyesub since the alphas need to be dyesubbed anyway. I think doubleshot ABS mods with PBT alphas would just be weird, I have a vintage keyset with mixed plastics and I would not recommend. The alphas could maybe be made with JTK tripleshot, but that would require a ton of new moulds if they can even tripleshot all the key sizes needed for this set.

Ideally we'd like to stick with ePBT for the blue mods. Kuro Shiro has a lot more contrast than this colourway, so these mods could easily come out a lot better. That's assuming they haven't improved their process in the meantime. If there do end up being issues we can look at an alternative, but discussing it now it a bit premature IMO.

Also, keep the suggestions coming for the kits. They'll all be considered when we finalise the kit layouts ;D

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 16:21:09 »
Also, keep the suggestions coming for the kits. They'll all be considered when we finalise the kit layouts ;D
Well, two things: The comma and dot keys in the kit mockup just have... 2 commas and 2 dots, which I hope is an oversight and not by design; also, I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 17:15:03 »
Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 21:01:32 »
I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Might I interest you in this upcoming gb?:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102335.0

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:39:39 »
I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Thanks! I'm having an eye on it but I'm not sure where to find WoB right now, do you think finding a WoB set will be easy in the future? Or at least WoB alphas?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:42:47 »

Thanks! I'm having an eye on it but I'm not sure where to find WoB right now, do you think finding a WoB set will be easy in the future? Or at least WoB alphas?

We should not drift off topic, so if you have further questions about that gb, please post them there.

But, yes, I do think WOB will be available to buy in the future. It’s a standard set that comes up again and again on drop.com.

In fact I’m planning on buying several colevrak+ sets, and I don’t own a single WOB set yet!

Offline Kasterborous

• HEX Keyboards
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 03:50:57 »
yes pls gib

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 17:04:25 »
Well, two things: The comma and dot keys in the kit mockup just have... 2 commas and 2 dots, which I hope is an oversight and not by design; also, I'd be a customer of a Colemak/Workman/Dvorak/et cetera kit and that would push me from maybe buying one kit to definitely buying three kits ;D

Two commas and two dots is what the OG set had. A lot of typewriters had the same thing, I'm not completely sure why TBH :)) We were considering a kit that replaces some of the weird typewriter legends with their modern equivalents. We'll have to see if there's enough interest  though since the quirky legends are part of the appeal IMO.

And a colevrak kit has been the pretty highly requested, so it's definitely something we'll consider

Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

We can ask about this, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. I don't know how easy colour matching ABS to PBT is given the different properties of the plastic. It's also pretty easy to unwarp the spacebars with some boiling water. But we'll see what we can offer closer to GB stage ;D

Offline MMKB

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 17:28:15 »
Bought the GMK TA (sold) and TA90 but this is truly better. And yes ePBT. Count me in!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 18:09:57 »

We can ask about this, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. I don't know how easy colour matching ABS to PBT is given the different properties of the plastic. It's also pretty easy to unwarp the spacebars with some boiling water. But we'll see what we can offer closer to GB stage ;D

Great, thanks. I know for sure that HHKBs have an abs space bar (on pro1 and pro2 at least) with pbt everything else and I'm pretty sure Realforce boards do this as well, so I know it's possible to color match.

Offline kolicivan

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 21:36:21 »
Might be down for this set if the GB lands later in the year, and if the ENJOYPBT 3000SAT GB does not launch.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 05:23:30 »
Some kitting suggestions:
  • Add R3 PGUP and R4 PGDN to the base kit. This will help cover some popular 65% and 75% right column options.
  • Move R1 END and PGDN from the base to the numpad kit. These keys are only useful if there is a numpad present, e.g. on 1800, CP and 96-key layout boards, so they shouldn't be included in numpadless base kits.
  • Add a R1 = key in both white and blue to the numpad kit. Along with the already-present R4 00, this will help cover standalone numpads.
  • Consider using SCRL instead of SCRL↲LOCK and NUM instead of NUM↲LOCK for a more uniform, one-line look across the modifiers.
  • The 1.25u FUNC key seems a bit redundant since there is a 1.25u RELOC key of the same row. You may opt to keep both, or you may opt to discard one of them. The same goes for the FUNC and RELOC keys in the 40's kit.
  • Consider adding a R3 1.75u FUNC or RELOC key as another viable Caps replacement for people who like to remap Caps to Fn / layer controls. To me, at least, this seems like it would be more useful than a stepped R3 1.75u CTRL.

Props for including both the arrow and X-box options for the Backspace icon.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2020, 05:26:22 by constexpr »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 09:27:26 »

Yeah, but why isn't the Delete key being offered with its own X-box? Strikes me as odd that this set would have ⌫ but no ⌦...

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 11:56:51 »
Yeah, but why isn't the Delete key being offered with its own X-box? Strikes me as odd that this set would have ⌫ but no ⌦...
I'd say because the surrounding keys of the Delete key are also not icons. It would look more odd to have Del as a symbol with Insert, Home et cetera as text than having a different style for BS (which will be close to Enter, which is also a symbol key) and Del.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 15:47:47 »
Some kitting suggestions:
  • Add R3 PGUP and R4 PGDN to the base kit. This will help cover some popular 65% and 75% right column options.
  • Move R1 END and PGDN from the base to the numpad kit. These keys are only useful if there is a numpad present, e.g. on 1800, CP and 96-key layout boards, so they shouldn't be included in numpadless base kits.
  • Add a R1 = key in both white and blue to the numpad kit. Along with the already-present R4 00, this will help cover standalone numpads.
  • Consider using SCRL instead of SCRL↲LOCK and NUM instead of NUM↲LOCK for a more uniform, one-line look across the modifiers.
  • The 1.25u FUNC key seems a bit redundant since there is a 1.25u RELOC key of the same row. You may opt to keep both, or you may opt to discard one of them. The same goes for the FUNC and RELOC keys in the 40's kit.
  • Consider adding a R3 1.75u FUNC or RELOC key as another viable Caps replacement for people who like to remap Caps to Fn / layer controls. To me, at least, this seems like it would be more useful than a stepped R3 1.75u CTRL.

• We could do this, it's only 2 keys. Although the base kit already covers the Home-PgUp-PgDn-End column which is more popular I think?
  • Good catch, I hadn't thought of that
  • That should be possible I think
  • I was already considering this, I just don't want that area to look too empty when a lot of the modifiers have dual legends. I'll probably do renders with both and see which we prefer.
  • These keys are redundant, but we want people to be able to pick and choose the legends they want for some of the weirder keys. Although the reloc key was a lot weirder in older revisions so the FUNC key could probably be removed now.
  • Yes, I could probably add something to use as an R3 Fn key

And yeah, the ⌫ always gets a lot of hate, so we wanted to give people the choice between the OG legend and something a bit cleaner.

Basically the reason stoffelduss gave, IMO ⌦ would look out of place surrounded with all text INS, HOME, END, etc.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 17:52:57 »
We could do this, it's only 2 keys. Although the base kit already covers the Home-PgUp-PgDn-End column which is more popular I think?
Here's an incomplete list of recent GMK sets that had these keys. As you can see, it's a very popular inclusion. In fact, some of the best selling 65% keyboards ever (ALT, Tada68, Whitefox) have had R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn as their main layout, which helped popularize this setup.

These keys are redundant, but we want people to be able to pick and choose the legends they want for some of the weirder keys. Although the reloc key was a lot weirder in older revisions so the FUNC key could probably be removed now.
Since the set already has plenty of novelty-ish legends, I think it would be totally fine to keep just RELOC and have it serve as the wildcard for Fn, Menu or anything else someone might want to put there.

Yes, I could probably add something to use as an R3 Fn key
Thanks!

And yeah, the ⌫ always gets a lot of hate, so we wanted to give people the choice between the OG legend and something a bit cleaner.
As someone who actually likes ⌫ backspaces (when they're done right), I'm glad it's an option. :)

Offline Ealdin

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 19:54:17 »
I'm absolutely looking for this GB! It's clean and has a modern feeling despite its origins IMO.

Offline speakeasy_my

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 09:46:18 »
colevrak support, please?

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 09:48:43 »
colevrak support, please?

Read a little further up, there is already a plan to look into it for this set.

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:33:04 »
Interested in the all white base kit, looks clean.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 11:49:26 »
I can't wrap my head around what the set will look like.  The renders all look very low contrast to me like they have a filter or were taken in a dark room.  Do you have plans for additional renders at some point?

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 18:46:24 »
Would love to have an all white base kit with the optional blue mod kit add on.

Offline kaisn

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 06:41:29 »
I never imagined to see someone run a set like this. Super cool!

Edited before someone else might take offense
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2020, 09:25:55 by kaisn »

Offline lolpes

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 04:16:40 »
I never imagined to see someone run a set like this. Super cool!

In can someone is interested in a ISO-DE OG version hit me up
https://imgur.com/kMuVT8N

You can always put up a post on classifieds rather than advertise here.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:28:51 »
I can't wrap my head around what the set will look like.  The renders all look very low contrast to me like they have a filter or were taken in a dark room.  Do you have plans for additional renders at some point?

+1 the render seems faded. Any chance for samples? TA color way is difficult to produce imo

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 15:46:00 »

+1 the render seems faded. Any chance for samples? TA color way is difficult to produce imo

Yes, we will definitely get samples before any GB goes live. I'll work on doing a few more renders too, in the mean time here's two I did recently on the HEX.3C.

Offline PenguinMoe

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 08:20:09 »
I am really loving this set and have a couple of questions.

Do the profile rows go 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 from top to bottom?  I was trying to figure out if the ESC keys on the top row of the 40s kit are duplicates with the ESC keys in the base kit.
Looks like ortho and all 1u mods boards are pretty well covered except for the T+/T- and caps lock keys.  Any possibility of adding a 1u caps lock or ctrl key for R3 and a 1u T+/T- key for R2?

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 23:43:16 »

Yes, we will definitely get samples before any GB goes live. I'll work on doing a few more renders too, in the mean time here's two I did recently on the HEX.3C.

Show Image

Show Image

As long as you can keep it a deep and vivid blue for the alphas I'm in. Thought my favorite blue set was mizu, but this is looking extra nice.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 11:39:46 »
Definitely in for the subtle look. It’d cost hella much if you go with GMK so please keep it PBT

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:54:47 »

Do the profile rows go 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 from top to bottom?  I was trying to figure out if the ESC keys on the top row of the 40s kit are duplicates with the ESC keys in the base kit.
Looks like ortho and all 1u mods boards are pretty well covered except for the T+/T- and caps lock keys.  Any possibility of adding a 1u caps lock or ctrl key for R3 and a 1u T+/T- key for R2?

I should probably number the rows, it can get confusing with the ortho kits :D . The rows from top to bottom are 2-3-3-4-4-4-space with 'normal' western numbering. A lot of Chinese manufacturers including ePBT number them in reverse, so it would be 3-2-2-1-1-1-space I think. The esc keys in the ortho/40s kit are on the Q and A rows.

As long as you can keep it a deep and vivid blue for the alphas I'm in. Thought my favorite blue set was mizu, but this is looking extra nice.

I'll try to keep it pretty similar to those renders. I don't want anything too bright because it ruins the look a little bit IMO

Definitely in for the subtle look. It’d cost hella much if you go with GMK so please keep it PBT

GMK doesn't do tripleshots, and using pad printed sublegends would not go down well with a lot of people. So we won't be switching to GMK for this one anyway ;D

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 02:04:27 »
Count me in..

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 00:28:33 »

I should probably number the rows, it can get confusing with the ortho kits :D . The rows from top to bottom are 2-3-3-4-4-4-space with 'normal' western numbering. A lot of Chinese manufacturers including ePBT number them in reverse, so it would be 3-2-2-1-1-1-space I think. The esc keys in the ortho/40s kit are on the Q and A rows.

I'll try to keep it pretty similar to those renders. I don't want anything too bright because it ruins the look a little bit IMO

Agreed, having it be a lighter blue would ruin the whole thing for me too. Even the light blue mods aren't really doing it for me, so I'm happy they are on another kit. It seems like we are on the same page, so hopefully this run is nothing but smooth sailing.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:36:00 »
Here are some updated the kit layouts. I'm pretty sure I took into account everyone's suggestions, but let me know if I missed something.

Colevrak, a blue base kit, and a normal legends kit are still TBC until we here back from ePBT about MOQs and stuff.

We've also created a discord server for updates about this set and other projects Ryan and I are working on. Joining the discord is completely optional, all updates will still be posted here of course ;D

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 19:20:48 »
I would love to buy this one if there's an ISO-FR kit like in ePBT Mint.
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline MMKB

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 00:05:36 »
Base kit is an instant buy  :) non-standard symbols will be hella confusing but the kit is super clean

Offline duxbridge

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 14:18:29 »
This looks great!  :thumb:

Offline eas

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 02:11:45 »
Would it be possible to get a 1U R1 "WORD" in the small kit for Preonic?

Offline noodleman

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 19:59:09 »
are the homing keys bar and scooped only?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 11:58:48 »

That should be possible, yes

are the homing keys bar and scooped only?

Answered you on discord, but for anyone else wondering the same thing; they're barred only.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 21:32:37 »

That should be possible, yes

i love you.

Offline eas

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 01:46:04 »
This is going to be awesome.

Offline Luminair

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 01:33:21 »
I appreciate the retro typewriter icons all over this, but it's not my thing even though the color scheme is. Maybe offer a non-novelty set for the wider audience :)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 03:28:32 »
Possibly interested depending on how the final color of the mods turn out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Heist Morty

• MD.Doof
    • Mascis Designs
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 13:12:06 »
This set looks killer, love the choice of ePBT over GMK, colors still look amazing

Offline shodid

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 12:55:56 »
I am all in on this. waiting for updates

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:30:30 »
Update time ;D

Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates recently. Both Ryan and I have been pretty busy lately with work and other stuff, but we have kept working on things behind the scenes.

We have requested some samples from EnjoyPBT, including both the regular and the blue mods. We'll post some photos when they arrive so you can see how they turned out. I know some people have raised concerns about ePBT's reverse dyesubbing. If the quality of the samples ends up being not so good we might consider going with someone else, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We will also be offering two base kits, one with white and one with blue mods. ePBT's MOQ is for the total number of base kits, not per base kit as we assumed initially, so this won't affect the chances of not hitting MOQ. I will be updating the kit layouts with this change soon. This will make things a lot cheaper compared to buying the blue mods as an add-on. It does remove the option of buying just the blue mods to pair with either the OG keycaps or other keysets, but I think this change will make the majority happy.

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:38:15 »
Update time ;D

Firstly, sorry for the lack of updates recently. Both Ryan and I have been pretty busy lately with work and other stuff, but we have kept working on things behind the scenes.

We have requested some samples from EnjoyPBT, including both the regular and the blue mods. We'll post some photos when they arrive so you can see how they turned out. I know some people have raised concerns about ePBT's reverse dyesubbing. If the quality of the samples ends up being not so good we might consider going with someone else, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

We will also be offering two base kits, one with white and one with blue mods. ePBT's MOQ is for the total number of base kits, not per base kit as we assumed initially, so this won't affect the chances of not hitting MOQ. I will be updating the kit layouts with this change soon. This will make things a lot cheaper compared to buying the blue mods as an add-on. It does remove the option of buying just the blue mods to pair with either the OG keycaps or other keysets, but I think this change will make the majority happy.

Possibly my most anticipated set thus far in 2020. Looking forward to seeing the next update.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 13:40:02 »
fantastic news. was thinking about this a few days ago too.

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 14:25:02 »
i'm really excited about this.  currently using an old cherry 1800 keyboard with TA Origins keycaps on it, and i suspect this might look even better!

Offline Hyphen

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 19:24:30 »
That's clean! I'd definitely be down for this if there were a Canadian proxy. 

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 05 August 2020, 04:02:55 »
Same.

Offline eeveeatemyessay

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 11:11:10 »
Any chance of an NorDe kit? It's such a beautiful set, but sadly a no thanks without æøå for me.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 14:02:22 »
It's already decided - I'm getting all kits in an instant : ) Such a well crafted set! Kudos towards dr_derivative.
Keep us informed on the progress and please, please, take care for EU vendor : )

On a sidenote:
I'm not sure why people decide to invest money into bright colored sets in ABS at all. Shine could be considered as a pro or as a con, depending on preferences. But potential yellowing of the keycaps is unacceptable IMO, yet it's not being mentioned that often I realized.

We invest in all those pricey sets mainly for aesthetics and every subtlety may decide whether it's a dream come true, or a no-go situation. Imagine this fresh-white look becoming aged vintage butter in matter of months if you happen to expose your workdesk to a sunrays too much.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:05:54 »
Many bright colourways that are popular in ABS [9009, TA, classic beige, B on W and W on B, Red Alert] actually make more sense as PBT sets.

I've ordered Shoko, and if I ever receive it, I'll enjoy it for its fleeting beauty.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 19:03:49 »
Any chance of an NorDe kit? It's such a beautiful set, but sadly a no thanks without æøå for me.

We might do a minimal NorDe kit with just the extra accented letters and stuff. For symbols there's not much point since they're all incorrect for ANSI too ;D

Keep us informed on the progress and please, please, take care for EU vendor : )

Ryan and I are both European, we wouldn't run without one

I'm not sure why people decide to invest money into bright colored sets in ABS at all. Shine could be considered as a pro or as a con, depending on preferences. But potential yellowing of the keycaps is unacceptable IMO, yet it's not being mentioned that often I realized.

Yellowing isn't so much of a problem with modern, good quality ABS. Personally, while I was moving houses I ended up using my window sill as temporary keyboard storage for far too long (nearly a year lol). Some Tai Hao ABS keycaps ended up yellow AF, but my SP ABS caps were completely unaffected. Oddly enough, some cheapo PBT keycaps were actually bleached by the sunlight, so I guess you get what you pay for no matter what material you choose.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it for this set ;D

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 23:13:21 »
This set hits all the right spots as someone who had an origin story as a TA.

Offline komodo90

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 06:54:22 »

We might do a minimal NorDe kit with just the extra accented letters and stuff. For symbols there's not much point since they're all incorrect for ANSI too ;D

Ryan and I are both European, we wouldn't run without one

Yellowing isn't so much of a problem with modern, good quality ABS. Personally, while I was moving houses I ended up using my window sill as temporary keyboard storage for far too long (nearly a year lol). Some Tai Hao ABS keycaps ended up yellow AF, but my SP ABS caps were completely unaffected. Oddly enough, some cheapo PBT keycaps were actually bleached by the sunlight, so I guess you get what you pay for no matter what material you choose.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to worry about it for this set ;D

What you said about the quality of the keycaps makes perfect sense. Not a lot of reports from the field on how caps are handling in the longer run so thanks for sharing. Still, PBT is my material of choice when it comes to bright caps :)

I went through the posts here and suddenly realised it's been few months already since last update on the actual progress (samples order from June?). Has anything changed in that regard? Any tentative ETA for when we may expect GB to run?

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:06:07 »
Probably no GB this year per Discord

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:15:27 »
I just discovered this and holy s**t I want this badly.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 13:51:37 »

I went through the posts here and suddenly realised it's been few months already since last update on the actual progress (samples order from June?). Has anything changed in that regard? Any tentative ETA for when we may expect GB to run?

ePBT are taking their time making samples since they are also working on their tooling at the moment. They said to expect samples late this year, and I don't really want to press ahead with anything until we've seen their new reverse dyesub quality. Assuming it's all good this will probably run early next year; I'm thinking February since January GBs never do as well. But an exact timeline depends on a lot of things so I can't say for sure right now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2020, 13:53:19 by dr_derivative »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 21:32:41 »
another friendly bump because this will likely be my fav keycap set ever.........

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 22:11:23 »
I really love this color way and hope it makes it to GB stage. I think ePBT did a decent job on reverse dye sub with TA Triumph Adler. It's a shame manufacturers like BSP aren't more available/mainstream. My biggest issue with ePBT (other than warping) is that their key caps sit so much higher than GMK's (or BSP). Creates awkward gaps with some cases and also just feels slightly off.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 10:24:48 »
Here are some updated the kit layouts. I'm pretty sure I took into account everyone's suggestions, but let me know if I missed something.

Colevrak, a blue base kit, and a normal legends kit are still TBC until we here back from ePBT about MOQs and stuff.

We've also created a discord server for updates about this set and other projects Ryan and I are working on. Joining the discord is completely optional, all updates will still be posted here of course ;D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Please add a Norde kit. It would rock.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:33:23 »
I wonder if ePBT molds will be real Cherry-profile this time. Not that it matters much with me. There are advantages and disadvantages to that.

I also am a bit bothered by how the height and sometimes warping makes them seem more uneven that GMK keycaps.

But I'm glad that the makers of this set are taking their time to create test samples, and see if the new molds are working out. I think we're all waiting to see what kind of improvements have been in the works for EnjoyPBT.

Offline honoka

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:59:39 »
showing interest in norde kit aswell  :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 16:01:31 »
If new molds are made the skirts should be a bit longer to match OG Cherry's.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:43:36 »
If new molds are made the skirts should be a bit longer to match OG Cherry's.

The whole keycap would need to be lower to match Cherry, not just a longer skirt. I don't think they'll do that, I think the main reason against it is compatibility. OG Cherry/GMK/BSP/JTK all have issues with certain switches and orientations.

I also am a bit bothered by how the height and sometimes warping makes them seem more uneven that GMK keycaps.

The unevenness and warping is something they are trying to improve with the new moulds. That and their reverse dye-sub quality. So hopefully this won't be an issue.

But I'm glad that the makers of this set are taking their time to create test samples, and see if the new molds are working out. I think we're all waiting to see what kind of improvements have been in the works for EnjoyPBT.

Considering these moulds are new, I really don't want to press ahead with a GB before at least seeing what the quality is like. EPBT are taking their sweet time making those samples though :D

Please add a Norde kit. It would rock.

showing interest in norde kit aswell  :)

I might do a small kit with the extra alphas required for swapping Z with Y and the ÄÅÆÖØÜ. Personally, I don't see the point of something more extensive since many of the legends are incorrect for ANSI users too. I guess I could do a Norde kit with the OG typewriter versions of the various Norde layouts, but I doubt many people would actually use that. What do you think?

Offline GSPADE

• THOK® thok.design
    • THOK®
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:47:03 »
Wow so nice! EPBT ftw

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:58:21 »

The design is very elegant and subtle, while the TA special symbols give the set a nice retro flavor. On legends, I would suggest to offer three versions: (1) An ANSI top row and symbols; (2) The actual TA top row and symbols; (3) A multilingual top row and symbols that covers the most common European Languages: UK, FI/NO/DE . Finally: The blue mods-set would have its proper version of enter-keys, ANSI and ISO.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 05:33:56 »
I'm an advocate for taking our time here to get samples that are satisfying to a runner's high standards. Will probably be in for one if it comes out well.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 08:22:25 »
Will there be non homing F J and 5 keys?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:53:14 »

Tooling is always changing.

ePBT's molds were bad from everything after Slate until just now. They redid their molds around the end of 2020, and the new spacebars coming from Spectrum are said to be good.

So if it uses relatively fresh and new molds, it could be okay.

GMK, on the other hand, had significant problems from late 2019 to mid-2020. They are said to be retooling, but right now GMK is not a straightness guarantee over ePBT.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 13:13:55 »

ePBT's molds were bad from everything after Slate until just now. They redid their molds around the end of 2020, and the new spacebars coming from Spectrum are said to be good.

GMK, on the other hand, had significant problems from late 2019 to mid-2020. They are said to be retooling, but right now GMK is not a straightness guarantee over ePBT.

Well, I purchased a recent ePBT set (Royal Alpha) and was unable to get my spacebars straight with either boiling water or a hair dryer. The stems of many the smaller spacebars were so warped/loose they were unusable. I think ABS spacebars, even for the smaller ones, is a fantastic idea.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 16:45:36 »
Will there be non homing F J and 5 keys?

I don't have any in the kit layout right now, but I could add them. I'm curious, what is your use case for non-homing F/J/5 keys?

Well, I purchased a recent ePBT set (Royal Alpha) and was unable to get my spacebars straight with either boiling water or a hair dryer. The stems of many the smaller spacebars were so warped/loose they were unusable. I think ABS spacebars, even for the smaller ones, is a fantastic idea.

As far as I know, Royal Alpha still used the old moulds. I'm not sure about Spectrum, but any of the upcoming reverse dye-subbed sets (like ePBT Samurai, when that ships) will use the new moulds. At the moment they refuse to reverse dye-sub anything more than one or two accent keys with the old moulds because of quality concerns. So this set will have to use the new moulds, which is part of the reason why we've been waiting so long for samples ;D. If warping is an issue with the samples we will look at alternatives (whether that be ABS spacebars, a different manufacturer, etc.)

Offline noodleman

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 17:25:42 »
can confirm epbt spectrum on has new spacebars.  same with grayscale.  They are much better quality than before and are quite straight, though not as straight as CRP.  Any set produced (including other in stock sets like epbt gray) will also use the new spacebar moulds.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 22:52:10 »

Your account rings true, but Royal Alpha was from the "bad period," which was everything between Slate and Spectrum / Grayscale (2021) [the named sets being good].

What the ICs and GBs don't say on the box is the state of the molds at the time of production. This goes for both switches and keycaps. If you want the best results, you need to be aware of the mold status. Not saying this is just, but it's the way things are.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 16:43:05 »
This is a weird question, but does anyone know what this key did on the original typewriter? I'm having trouble finding any information online.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 17:10:33 »
This is a weird question, but does anyone know what this key did on the original typewriter? I'm having trouble finding any information online.
(Attachment Link)

On UK models which had text legends the same key was marked 'RELOC'. So I guess it would reposition the page or something? I know next to nothing about typewriters  ;D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 14:57:40 »
Dear OP: Are you planning to add a standard number row and symbols? or is this set a retro-only-take-it-or-leave-it?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 16:54:50 »
Dear OP: Are you planning to add a standard number row and symbols? or is this set a retro-only-take-it-or-leave-it?

Yes, there will be a kit with regular ANSI legends for those who need it

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 18:40:07 »

Yes, there will be a kit with regular ANSI legends for those who need it

Awesome. TY.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 13:42:45 »
please god

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 04:58:22 »
Really hoping this goes through. i have the original set but it's really just the alphas that are usable.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 15:19:12 »
Forgot to mention this yesterday, possible to do the CODE keycap that Lastpilot used on right Ctrl?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline ai06L

• SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 02:54:10 »
hope we can see this happen!
Collection: Keycult No.1, 8XV2.0 Additional Ano silver WKL, FC660C Novatouched, Polaris, 8XV2.0 Additional coated black CWKL, Vega E-white, Vega Grey, Novatouch, Jelly Epoch SE

Waiting to ship: Cruelworld 60, 8XV3.0 light grey WKL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 08:27:45 »
It would be great to have a TA replica, with full ANSI compatibility; but, being realistic, after more than one year in IC phase, it seems unlikely to happen.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 13:00:07 »
Update time

As of my previous update (over 10 months ago now) basically nothing has happened. We had requested samples with ePBT's new moulds which were supposed to improve reverse dyesub quality, amongst other things.

We recently heard back from ePBT that these new moulds still aren't finished. Every other recent ePBT GB has reverted to using the old moulds due to these delays. So today we've made the decision to have samples made with the old moulds instead.

If these samples turn out good, then we'll just run with the old moulds since I believe everyone is sick of waiting at this stage. Many recent ePBT groupbuys have turned out pretty well, so I'm hopeful this will be the case. I believe they have tweaked their processes in other ways to improve things like warping. If the samples are not so good we'll most likely put this project on hold and wait for new moulds or consider moving to another manufacturer.

I know this isn't great news, but hopefully we can still make this run at some point.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 14:54:07 »
Update time

As of my previous update (over 10 months ago now) basically nothing has happened. We had requested samples with ePBT's new moulds which were supposed to improve reverse dyesub quality, amongst other things.

We recently heard back from ePBT that these new moulds still aren't finished. Every other recent ePBT GB has reverted to using the old moulds due to these delays. So today we've made the decision to have samples made with the old moulds instead.

If these samples turn out good, then we'll just run with the old moulds since I believe everyone is sick of waiting at this stage. Many recent ePBT groupbuys have turned out pretty well, so I'm hopeful this will be the case. I believe they have tweaked their processes in other ways to improve things like warping. If the samples are not so good we'll most likely put this project on hold and wait for new moulds or consider moving to another manufacturer.

I know this isn't great news, but hopefully we can still make this run at some point.

Having the project moving is great news. The samples will have the final definitions if the set could be produced with the tooling already available.

Offline scrubbiecris

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 21:46:24 »
excited to see this hopefully get moving!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 19:53:32 »
possibly the first time this has ever been posted on GH:

any chance for US ANSI kit?  ;D

glwic  :thumb:

edit: just saw above that keys will be available. only it's not just num row, also need a few alphas.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 June 2021, 19:14:05 by azzipa »

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 09:52:44 »
possibly the first time this has ever been posted on GH:

any chance for US ANSI kit?  ;D

glwic  :thumb:

edit: just saw above that keys will be available. only it's not just num row, also need a few alphas.

Yep, I'll add a separate kit with the keys required for a regular ANSI layout.

I will update the kitting when things get moving again with ePBT.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:50:25 »
It is good to see a post by the OP, it gives hope to the GB.

Offline chayu

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:10:48 »
This is a really nice set- I wouldn't mind waiting if it means it'll turn out nicely on newer molds.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:12:28 by chayu »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 19:05:36 »
I have not noticed yet that I posted my 8k post in this thread. Awesome.´

Offline azzipa

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 21:03:39 »
dr. ideus, congratulations!  :thumb:

dr. derivative, i’m bummed out you don’t have ta origins in your signature any longer. but don’t worry, i’ll wait!  ;D

edit, 15 june: glad to see your signature back, dr. derivative!

esit, 17 june: disappointed to see ta origins removed from your signature, again
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 June 2021, 22:32:32 by azzipa »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 22:08:18 »
dr. ideus, congratulations!  :thumb:

dr. derivative, i’m bummed out you don’t have ta origins in your signature any longer. but don’t worry, i’ll wait!  ;D

Thank you very much Dr. Azzipa.

Offline kriscables

• kriscables.com
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 12:54:15 »
waiting eagerly for this beauty

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 18:08:12 »

edit, 15 june: glad to see your signature back, dr. derivative!

esit, 17 june: disappointed to see ta origins removed from your signature, again

I haven't removed it, it just doesn't load properly sometimes. Ryan (Quaddepo) offered to host the image on his server, but then forgot to renew his domain name so the image was broken for a while ;D. It should be working now though

waiting eagerly for this beauty

I'm still eagerly waiting for samples unfortunately :D

Offline Casserole

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 21:53:45 »
Digging this

Offline thesky

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 13:59:23 »
Beautiful set. Looking forward to it! :thumb:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:06:52 »
Beautiful set. Looking forward to it! :thumb:

Thanks for bumping the thread. I totally would have missed this awesome set :eek:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:20:15 »
i will wait.... forever......

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:39:38 »
i will wait.... forever......

Hopefully it won't take quite that long

Offline azzipa

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 15:02:32 »
dr. derivative: great to see some progress! the samples look really good from this image.  :thumb:

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 15:10:18 »
Oh that is so exciting!! they look great

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 10:55:36 »
I was just dreaming about this set last night. Not joking.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 19:00:34 »
Oh, dear God, is this moving forward? Really?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 10:49:16 »
Just a quick note on ePBT molds.

I received kits from ePBT Spectrum and Grayscale months ago. Including spacebars.

The quality of the keycaps is excellent. Only CRP spacebars are straighter, but the ePBT seems straight enough. Surface texture of the keycaps is creamy, dye-sub is neat and flat.

If the GB runner can get ePBT to use the right molds, most of this set should turn out great.

Also, I'm running ePBT Spectrum keycaps beside CRP on my NCR-80, they're about the same height. TA Origins would probably look good on the new R2 NCR-80 that is cool gray in colour. (Also have beige). Might want to render it!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 16:47:25 »
Great work on the design of this set. You've done the original sets justice. I want to buy it.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline airs

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 02 February 2022, 18:14:30 »
Any updates? This set looks sick!
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline misotsu

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 03 February 2022, 21:30:51 »
Honestly, never seen those sublegends before, but i do like it.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 10:48:26 »

Will have an update soon

Offline azzipa

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 09:58:34 »
here for this - one of the few sets i’m still tracking. any chance you are working on color-matching?

Will have an update soon

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 16:28:11 »
 :'(

Offline azzipa

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 21:47:33 »
you and me both, kokaloo.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 14:11:29 »
Yeah, given that pretty much the exact same set is readily available on Aliexpress I doubt this will run as originally designed any time soon.

Perhaps if we find a way to differentiate the sets... tripleshot maybe?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 15:14:28 »
Yeah, given that pretty much the exact same set is readily available on Aliexpress I doubt this will run as originally designed any time soon.

Perhaps if we find a way to differentiate the sets... tripleshot maybe?

Tripleshot could be a fun idea, pbtfans have been killing it with whatever they make. I'm not too sure how feasible new legends are to tripleshot tho. And this way you wouldn't have to settle for reverse dyesub on the awesome light blue mods.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 14 April 2023, 15:54:13 »
I'm a fan of the Alpha 610 green

https://kbd.news/TA-Royal-Alpha-610-930.html

Offline Alex-DM

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 11:49:25 »
I really hope this set will be made. I have the AliExpress set and also the TA alphas from a typewriter. The colors don't match like the renders of this set did.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 11 July 2023, 17:25:36 »
For the AliExpress set, are you all referring to that "Keebox Shenpo Vintage Gray Blue PBT DYE SUB" set?

JTK could almost certainly handle a tripleshot TA, with versatile kitting. The Griseann / Royal Alpha generally turned out very good.

But too many were created, and it took a while to unload them, so we likely won't see a GB on that scale anytime soon. For more limited tripleshot runs, there's Domikey. Their keycaps aren't quite as nice as JTK, more 'mid.' And kitting is more limited, more restrictive. But they can do limited runs.

Offline Alex-DM

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 03:21:03 »
Yes, that was the set I was referring to.
JTK would be great, of course. More expensive, but the quality would be better, with matching colors and font (Aliexpress set uses Arial rounded, just like the first render of this topic).