Author Topic: [IC] EPBT TA Origins  (Read 74580 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: [IC] EPBT TA Origins
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 10:15:27 »
I just discovered this and holy s**t I want this badly.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 13:51:37 »

I went through the posts here and suddenly realised it's been few months already since last update on the actual progress (samples order from June?). Has anything changed in that regard? Any tentative ETA for when we may expect GB to run?

ePBT are taking their time making samples since they are also working on their tooling at the moment. They said to expect samples late this year, and I don't really want to press ahead with anything until we've seen their new reverse dyesub quality. Assuming it's all good this will probably run early next year; I'm thinking February since January GBs never do as well. But an exact timeline depends on a lot of things so I can't say for sure right now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2020, 13:53:19 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 21:32:41 »
another friendly bump because this will likely be my fav keycap set ever.........

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 22:11:23 »
I really love this color way and hope it makes it to GB stage. I think ePBT did a decent job on reverse dye sub with TA Triumph Adler. It's a shame manufacturers like BSP aren't more available/mainstream. My biggest issue with ePBT (other than warping) is that their key caps sit so much higher than GMK's (or BSP). Creates awkward gaps with some cases and also just feels slightly off.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 10:24:48 »
Here are some updated the kit layouts. I'm pretty sure I took into account everyone's suggestions, but let me know if I missed something.

Colevrak, a blue base kit, and a normal legends kit are still TBC until we here back from ePBT about MOQs and stuff.

We've also created a discord server for updates about this set and other projects Ryan and I are working on. Joining the discord is completely optional, all updates will still be posted here of course ;D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Please add a Norde kit. It would rock.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:33:23 »
I wonder if ePBT molds will be real Cherry-profile this time. Not that it matters much with me. There are advantages and disadvantages to that.

I also am a bit bothered by how the height and sometimes warping makes them seem more uneven that GMK keycaps.

But I'm glad that the makers of this set are taking their time to create test samples, and see if the new molds are working out. I think we're all waiting to see what kind of improvements have been in the works for EnjoyPBT.

Offline honoka

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 15:59:39 »
showing interest in norde kit aswell  :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 16:01:31 »
If new molds are made the skirts should be a bit longer to match OG Cherry's.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:43:36 »
If new molds are made the skirts should be a bit longer to match OG Cherry's.

The whole keycap would need to be lower to match Cherry, not just a longer skirt. I don't think they'll do that, I think the main reason against it is compatibility. OG Cherry/GMK/BSP/JTK all have issues with certain switches and orientations.

I also am a bit bothered by how the height and sometimes warping makes them seem more uneven that GMK keycaps.

The unevenness and warping is something they are trying to improve with the new moulds. That and their reverse dye-sub quality. So hopefully this won't be an issue.

But I'm glad that the makers of this set are taking their time to create test samples, and see if the new molds are working out. I think we're all waiting to see what kind of improvements have been in the works for EnjoyPBT.

Considering these moulds are new, I really don't want to press ahead with a GB before at least seeing what the quality is like. EPBT are taking their sweet time making those samples though :D

Please add a Norde kit. It would rock.

showing interest in norde kit aswell  :)

I might do a small kit with the extra alphas required for swapping Z with Y and the ÄÅÆÖØÜ. Personally, I don't see the point of something more extensive since many of the legends are incorrect for ANSI users too. I guess I could do a Norde kit with the OG typewriter versions of the various Norde layouts, but I doubt many people would actually use that. What do you think?
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk

Offline GSPADE

• THOK® thok.design
    • THOK®
« Reply #109 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:47:03 »
Wow so nice! EPBT ftw

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:58:21 »

The design is very elegant and subtle, while the TA special symbols give the set a nice retro flavor. On legends, I would suggest to offer three versions: (1) An ANSI top row and symbols; (2) The actual TA top row and symbols; (3) A multilingual top row and symbols that covers the most common European Languages: UK, FI/NO/DE . Finally: The blue mods-set would have its proper version of enter-keys, ANSI and ISO.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 05:33:56 »
I'm an advocate for taking our time here to get samples that are satisfying to a runner's high standards. Will probably be in for one if it comes out well.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 08:22:25 »
Will there be non homing F J and 5 keys?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:53:14 »
Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

Tooling is always changing.

ePBT's molds were bad from everything after Slate until just now. They redid their molds around the end of 2020, and the new spacebars coming from Spectrum are said to be good.

So if it uses relatively fresh and new molds, it could be okay.

GMK, on the other hand, had significant problems from late 2019 to mid-2020. They are said to be retooling, but right now GMK is not a straightness guarantee over ePBT.

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 13:13:55 »
Love it. I am a bit worried about warped space bars though. It's one of the main reasons I prefer GMK sets. Would it be possible to offer a separate ABS space bar pack since epbt is apparently doing abs sets now? Having them made in house would help ensure color accuracy and key feel is much more important than shine resistance for me.

ePBT's molds were bad from everything after Slate until just now. They redid their molds around the end of 2020, and the new spacebars coming from Spectrum are said to be good.

GMK, on the other hand, had significant problems from late 2019 to mid-2020. They are said to be retooling, but right now GMK is not a straightness guarantee over ePBT.

Well, I purchased a recent ePBT set (Royal Alpha) and was unable to get my spacebars straight with either boiling water or a hair dryer. The stems of many the smaller spacebars were so warped/loose they were unusable. I think ABS spacebars, even for the smaller ones, is a fantastic idea.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 16:45:36 »
Will there be non homing F J and 5 keys?

I don't have any in the kit layout right now, but I could add them. I'm curious, what is your use case for non-homing F/J/5 keys?

Well, I purchased a recent ePBT set (Royal Alpha) and was unable to get my spacebars straight with either boiling water or a hair dryer. The stems of many the smaller spacebars were so warped/loose they were unusable. I think ABS spacebars, even for the smaller ones, is a fantastic idea.

As far as I know, Royal Alpha still used the old moulds. I'm not sure about Spectrum, but any of the upcoming reverse dye-subbed sets (like ePBT Samurai, when that ships) will use the new moulds. At the moment they refuse to reverse dye-sub anything more than one or two accent keys with the old moulds because of quality concerns. So this set will have to use the new moulds, which is part of the reason why we've been waiting so long for samples ;D. If warping is an issue with the samples we will look at alternatives (whether that be ABS spacebars, a different manufacturer, etc.)

Offline noodleman

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 17:25:42 »
can confirm epbt spectrum on has new spacebars.  same with grayscale.  They are much better quality than before and are quite straight, though not as straight as CRP.  Any set produced (including other in stock sets like epbt gray) will also use the new spacebar moulds.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 22:52:10 »

Your account rings true, but Royal Alpha was from the "bad period," which was everything between Slate and Spectrum / Grayscale (2021) [the named sets being good].

What the ICs and GBs don't say on the box is the state of the molds at the time of production. This goes for both switches and keycaps. If you want the best results, you need to be aware of the mold status. Not saying this is just, but it's the way things are.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 16:43:05 »
This is a weird question, but does anyone know what this key did on the original typewriter? I'm having trouble finding any information online.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 17:10:33 »
This is a weird question, but does anyone know what this key did on the original typewriter? I'm having trouble finding any information online.
(Attachment Link)

On UK models which had text legends the same key was marked 'RELOC'. So I guess it would reposition the page or something? I know next to nothing about typewriters  ;D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 14:57:40 »
Dear OP: Are you planning to add a standard number row and symbols? or is this set a retro-only-take-it-or-leave-it?

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 16:54:50 »
Dear OP: Are you planning to add a standard number row and symbols? or is this set a retro-only-take-it-or-leave-it?

Yes, there will be a kit with regular ANSI legends for those who need it

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 18:40:07 »

Yes, there will be a kit with regular ANSI legends for those who need it

Awesome. TY.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 13:42:45 »
please god

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 04:58:22 »
Really hoping this goes through. i have the original set but it's really just the alphas that are usable.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 15:19:12 »
Forgot to mention this yesterday, possible to do the CODE keycap that Lastpilot used on right Ctrl?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline ai06L

• SEE YOU, SPACE COWBOY
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 02:54:10 »
hope we can see this happen!
Collection: Keycult No.1, 8XV2.0 Additional Ano silver WKL, FC660C Novatouched, Polaris, 8XV2.0 Additional coated black CWKL, Vega E-white, Vega Grey, Novatouch, Jelly Epoch SE

Waiting to ship: Cruelworld 60, 8XV3.0 light grey WKL

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 02 May 2021, 08:27:45 »
It would be great to have a TA replica, with full ANSI compatibility; but, being realistic, after more than one year in IC phase, it seems unlikely to happen.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 13:00:07 »
Update time

As of my previous update (over 10 months ago now) basically nothing has happened. We had requested samples with ePBT's new moulds which were supposed to improve reverse dyesub quality, amongst other things.

We recently heard back from ePBT that these new moulds still aren't finished. Every other recent ePBT GB has reverted to using the old moulds due to these delays. So today we've made the decision to have samples made with the old moulds instead.

If these samples turn out good, then we'll just run with the old moulds since I believe everyone is sick of waiting at this stage. Many recent ePBT groupbuys have turned out pretty well, so I'm hopeful this will be the case. I believe they have tweaked their processes in other ways to improve things like warping. If the samples are not so good we'll most likely put this project on hold and wait for new moulds or consider moving to another manufacturer.

I know this isn't great news, but hopefully we can still make this run at some point.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 04 May 2021, 14:54:07 »
Update time

As of my previous update (over 10 months ago now) basically nothing has happened. We had requested samples with ePBT's new moulds which were supposed to improve reverse dyesub quality, amongst other things.

We recently heard back from ePBT that these new moulds still aren't finished. Every other recent ePBT GB has reverted to using the old moulds due to these delays. So today we've made the decision to have samples made with the old moulds instead.

If these samples turn out good, then we'll just run with the old moulds since I believe everyone is sick of waiting at this stage. Many recent ePBT groupbuys have turned out pretty well, so I'm hopeful this will be the case. I believe they have tweaked their processes in other ways to improve things like warping. If the samples are not so good we'll most likely put this project on hold and wait for new moulds or consider moving to another manufacturer.

I know this isn't great news, but hopefully we can still make this run at some point.

Having the project moving is great news. The samples will have the final definitions if the set could be produced with the tooling already available.

Offline scrubbiecris

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 03 June 2021, 21:46:24 »
excited to see this hopefully get moving!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 19:53:32 »
possibly the first time this has ever been posted on GH:

any chance for US ANSI kit?  ;D

glwic  :thumb:

edit: just saw above that keys will be available. only it's not just num row, also need a few alphas.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 June 2021, 19:14:05 by azzipa »

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 09:52:44 »
possibly the first time this has ever been posted on GH:

any chance for US ANSI kit?  ;D

glwic  :thumb:

edit: just saw above that keys will be available. only it's not just num row, also need a few alphas.

Yep, I'll add a separate kit with the keys required for a regular ANSI layout.

I will update the kitting when things get moving again with ePBT.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:50:25 »
It is good to see a post by the OP, it gives hope to the GB.

Offline chayu

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:10:48 »
This is a really nice set- I wouldn't mind waiting if it means it'll turn out nicely on newer molds.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:12:28 by chayu »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 19:05:36 »
I have not noticed yet that I posted my 8k post in this thread. Awesome.´

Offline azzipa

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 21:03:39 »
dr. ideus, congratulations!  :thumb:

dr. derivative, i’m bummed out you don’t have ta origins in your signature any longer. but don’t worry, i’ll wait!  ;D

edit, 15 june: glad to see your signature back, dr. derivative!

esit, 17 june: disappointed to see ta origins removed from your signature, again
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 June 2021, 22:32:32 by azzipa »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 22:08:18 »
dr. ideus, congratulations!  :thumb:

dr. derivative, i’m bummed out you don’t have ta origins in your signature any longer. but don’t worry, i’ll wait!  ;D

Thank you very much Dr. Azzipa.

Offline kriscables

• kriscables.com
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 12:54:15 »
waiting eagerly for this beauty

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 18:08:12 »

edit, 15 june: glad to see your signature back, dr. derivative!

esit, 17 june: disappointed to see ta origins removed from your signature, again

I haven't removed it, it just doesn't load properly sometimes. Ryan (Quaddepo) offered to host the image on his server, but then forgot to renew his domain name so the image was broken for a while ;D. It should be working now though

waiting eagerly for this beauty

I'm still eagerly waiting for samples unfortunately :D

Offline Casserole

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 21:53:45 »
Digging this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thesky

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 13:59:23 »
Beautiful set. Looking forward to it! :thumb:

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:06:52 »
Beautiful set. Looking forward to it! :thumb:

Thanks for bumping the thread. I totally would have missed this awesome set :eek:
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:20:15 »
i will wait.... forever......

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 14:39:38 »
i will wait.... forever......

Hopefully it won't take quite that long

Offline azzipa

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 15:02:32 »
dr. derivative: great to see some progress! the samples look really good from this image.  :thumb:

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 07 December 2021, 15:10:18 »
Oh that is so exciting!! they look great

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 10:55:36 »
I was just dreaming about this set last night. Not joking.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 19:00:34 »
Oh, dear God, is this moving forward? Really?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 11 December 2021, 10:49:16 »
Just a quick note on ePBT molds.

I received kits from ePBT Spectrum and Grayscale months ago. Including spacebars.

The quality of the keycaps is excellent. Only CRP spacebars are straighter, but the ePBT seems straight enough. Surface texture of the keycaps is creamy, dye-sub is neat and flat.

If the GB runner can get ePBT to use the right molds, most of this set should turn out great.

Also, I'm running ePBT Spectrum keycaps beside CRP on my NCR-80, they're about the same height. TA Origins would probably look good on the new R2 NCR-80 that is cool gray in colour. (Also have beige). Might want to render it!