geekhack Community > Off Topic

Ergonomics of sitting

(1/10) > >>

treigle:
I wrote briefly of this earlier in the Humanscale products thread, but for those of you who are interested, there is a lot of though on "the new ergonomics" about alternatives to conventional chairs, such as sitting on balance balls or elevated saddle seats (often backless).

Some great saddle chairs are the Humanscale Freedom Saddle, Hag Capisco, and Bambach Saddle chair.

I've found perching on a saddle seat (w/ elevated desk, part of the time) to really help with some back issues I've had......

I found the book: The Chair, by Dr. Galen Cranz to be fairly interesting.........

Phaedrus2129:
All the "chair ergonomics" I need:

Though I admit that would put me too far from the screen, which is why the recliner is in the family room next to the bookshelf, TV, and mini fridge.

Rajagra:
I think the ultimate chair would replicate the support given by floating in a tank of water. Sadly a water tank isn't very practical, giving you soggy clothing, wrinkly skin and harm to electronic equipment.

Maybe a similar effect could be achieved with some kind of exoskeleton suit with various levers and springs to provide support. A chair like that wouldn't be too hard to build, really, but it would have to be precisely made to fit your dimensions for every limb etc.

hyperlinked:

--- Quote from: Rajagra;205053 ---Maybe a similar effect could be achieved with some kind of exoskeleton suit with various levers and springs to provide support. A chair like that wouldn't be too hard to build, really, but it would have to be precisely made to fit your dimensions for every limb etc.
--- End quote ---

Something like that sounds ideal, but in practical application it probably wouldn't work because your skin will break down. There are two spots on your body that are natural weight bearing surfaces: the bottom of your pelvis and the bottom of your heels. Subject any other area of your body to prolonged pressure, even if it's modest, your skin will start to come apart unless you can shift the pressure around a lot on a regular basis.

Infinite north:
tank of vegetable oil then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version